config.sys corrupted; can't fix; can't start windows 2000

The computer attempts to open windows 2000 pro and gets hung up with
the message that winn config.sus is corrupted.  I tried booting from
the win 2000 cd-rom and then creating floppy boot disks.  The computer
won't recognize or run off of these.
0
labogart (1)
8/22/2004 9:00:48 AM
comp.windows.misc 3201 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

Rename the Config.sys file in the root directly to ConfigOLD.sys.  See
if the machine will boot without it for now. Any release of NT should
be able to.

If you work out for sure that the Config.sys file is faulty, you can
go in with your text editor, and troubleshoot it.

You will need the base knowledge to work in this file.

Jerry G.
========

labogart@juno.com (labogart) wrote in message news:<b8b70ec1.0408220100.5875b5c4@posting.google.com>...
> The computer attempts to open windows 2000 pro and gets hung up with
> the message that winn config.sus is corrupted.  I tried booting from
> the win 2000 cd-rom and then creating floppy boot disks.  The computer
> won't recognize or run off of these.
0
jerryg50 (70)

Windows "routing" server separating two subnets
Gurus, I have a small lab with a bunch of servers setup on two different subnets, 192.168.1.1 is the gateway for one and 172.16.1.1 is the gateway for the other. Installed on my Router (Windows Server with three NICs - I know, please don't comment on this, it's is for learning purposes, not production), the third NIC is the gateway to the Internet. What works: The Router server can reach the Internet as well as the computers in the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet (the first subnet built). What's broken: The computers on the 172.16.1.0/16 subnet cannot get to the Inter...

[News] Breaking Evil Myths: Linux Users Can't Play; Can't Run Windows Applications
Because penguins need to play too. ,----[ Quote ] | The Windows camp have a lot of great games to play and a popular | misconception is that Linux is lacking in games. That is not true. | There are literally thousands of games for Linux. In fact a lot of | them have been ported to Windows too. | | [...] | | There are both free and commercial games available. Some of the best | ones I really like are America's Army, Tremulous and Enemy Territory. `---- http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/linux/locutus/archives/because-penguins-need-to-play-too-14767 Run Windows Apps on Linux using 2X ApplicationServer ,----[ Quote ] | 2X ApplicationServer is a useful solution for those who still need access | to some Windows only apps, but prefer to work in Linux. `---- http://linuxappfinder.com/blog/run_windows_apps_on_linux_using_2x_applicationserver Related: LinuxGamePublishing announces X3: Reunion ,----[ Quote ] | The announcement was made during LinuxGames.coms' latest(7th) | podcast, and said to be about 80% completed. `---- http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=1914 TO: Crossfire 1.5 released ,----[ Quote ] | Inspired by TacticalOps, TO: Crossfire is a game based on Epic's | awardwinning UnrealEngine and throws you into the life-and-death | world of counterterrorism. `---- http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=1913 Supergamer LiveDVD - Gaming on Linux hits new levels ,----[ Quote ] | SuperGamer is a modified version...

PC freezes on start up, can't restore, can't install
Help! Just to clarify what we have so far; We have a eMachines P4 2.2ghz 80gb hd 256mb ram 64mb graps. Running xp sp1 we have a multimedia keyboard On start up the pc had been flashing up a "hotkey keyboard" icon in the menu bar at the bottom of the desktop, it went away almost immediately and carried on booting up, recently it was staying there and freezing the pc, we unplugged the speakers and the games pad and it seemed to do the job, it worked ok for about 6 weeks, then the icon stayed on...freezing the pc and making the monitor black out! We could manually switch the pc off by holding the button in, rebooting and on the second time of asking the pc would boot up ok! a week ago it would freeze and not continue no matter how many time we re-booted. So what have we done about it.... I have started in safe mode and disabled ALL of the start up programs in MSCONFIG including hotkey.exe. I have tried a standard Dell KBD not multimedia and a USB mouse, after hearing they both use c:\windows\system32\drivers\i8042prt.sys driver! (KBD using KBDCLASS) (mouse using MOUCLASS) drivers separately, using the USB mouse forced the pc to use another driver for the mouse. Yesterday I tried to change "input lacales" in control panel, but it doesn't give me the option? So I uninstalled the KBD driver from add remove progs and control panel completely with no success either. I can't get onto Msoft web site for up to date drivers for the MM KBD we're using s...

Windows must be Broken! It's can't be fixed!
Chris Ahlstrom 1315 Deep Water Drive Mount Pleasant, SC 29464 Phone: (843) 849-0985 SSN: Wife is Jayne. Daughter is Stephanie. The anonymous coward Borked Pseudo Mailed (Kutwog) wrote: > C Good for them, now buss of to your fscking Windows froup and leave GNU/Linux groups to the adults. -- |_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin |_|_|0| http://ml2mst.googlepages.com |0|0|0| http://osgeex.blogspot.com ...

Can't Boot Up - Missing NTSDAPI.dll file
Hello, Someone please help me! I re-booted my computer last night after it hung up, and now it won't start up at all. I'm on Windows XP Home Media Center edition. The message I get after the windows screen is: "lsass.exe can't start...file NTSDAPI.dll missing..." After I click ok throught this message box...nothing. Just a black screen, although my wireless mouse functions fine - I can move my pointer about. Any pointers to get me started on figuring this out would be apprciated, it doesn't have to be a step by stop solution. Thanks!! Anthony Anthony wrote: > Hello, > > Someone please help me! I re-booted my computer last night after it > hung up, and now it won't start up at all. I'm on Windows XP Home > Media Center edition. The message I get after the windows screen is: > > "lsass.exe can't start...file NTSDAPI.dll missing..." > > After I click ok throught this message box...nothing. Just a black > screen, although my wireless mouse functions fine - I can move my > pointer about. > > Any pointers to get me started on figuring this out would be > apprciated, it doesn't have to be a step by stop solution. > > Thanks!! > Anthony First, search your hard drive for copies of the file. Leave the search results open, if any are found. Next, use the Start->Run menu to execute regedit and search for the same filename; note any path information connected with...

squid can't start, can't bind to port
I have a CentOS 5.2 server that for several weeks has been running squid on port 9765 with no problem (only accepting requests from certain external IPs). Some time yesterday it stopped working, and attempts to start squid now say only: [root@hostname28043 squid]# service squid start Starting squid: .................... [FAILED] The last lines of the cache.log file (whose dates correspond to the last time I attempted to start squid) say: 2009/02/10 03:48:20| Starting Squid Cache version 2.6.STABLE6 for i686- redhat-li nux-gnu... 2009/02/10 03:48:20| Process ID 3306 20...

Windows must be Broken! It's can't be fixed! #2
Chris Ahlstrom 1315 Deep Water Drive Mount Pleasant, SC 29464 Phone: (843) 849-0985 SSN: Wife is Jayne. Daughter is Stephanie. ...

can't start sshd as a windows 2000 service (cygwin)
hello, I just can't get the sshd to start as a windows service. It starts just fine by hand - /usr/sbin/sshd.exe - and I can ssh in no problem, but I can't get sshd running as a service: $ cygrunsrv.exe --list --verbose Service : sshd Current State : Stopped Command : /usr/sbin/sshd.exe stdin path : /dev/null stdout path : /var/log/sshd.log stderr path : /var/log/sshd.log Process Type : Own Process Startup : Automatic Account : LocalSystem $ cygrunsrv.exe --start sshd cygrunsrv: Error starting a service: QueryServiceStatus: Win32 error 1062: The service has not been started. I googled up this suggestion: cygrunsrv --install sshd --path /usr/sbin/sshd.exe -e "CYGWIN=tty ntsec" -d "Cygwin SSHD" -1 /var/log/sshd.log -2 /var/log/sshd.log -t manual -y Tcpip -a '-e -D' But I get the same error 1062. It really isn't all that important, just an annoying detail. I've successfully used rsync/ssh to backup portions of my linux box to a large (and Cheap!) WD USB2 drive, so I would say I have a 99% success rate. Still, that darn service... Some possibly useful data: I am a member of the administrator group, the windows OS is updated, brand new cygwin install. thanks for any suggestions, jim ...

Windows must be Broken! It's can't be fixed! I need to use Linux!
OK I've tried to clean all the spyware on my windows computer. As you know, when I was trying to examin a strange file on my hard drive, I couldn't use command like "file" to tell me what it is. And the system doesn't have a command like find ~/ -type f -perm +1 -cmin -40 -printf '%p\t%m\n' -exec rm {} \; which would have deleted ALL the spyware files. I was forced to do something like this http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000888.html June 15, 2007 How to Clean Up a Windows Spyware Infestation I recently upgraded my dedicated racing simulation P...

Can't cd , can't use wildcard
Hi , I am running Windows 2000 service pack 4.Whenever I try to "cd" into some of the directories(which exist), I get an "Invalid directory". I can use to get into few of the directories(using cd) but for other it just says "Invalid directory". Moreover, I can't use any wildcard characters..(*, ? etc) at all.. Any idea what is wrong? Thanks Arun On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 17:13:52 GMT, Arun Goel <arun.goel@sbcglobal.net> wrote the following to comp.os.msdos.misc: > Hi , > > I am running Windows 2000 service pack 4.Whene...

Windows can't find windows
I'm trying to use a Windows XP Pro Upgrade CD to install on a PC that now has Win98. After a lot of hassle using 6 boot floppies to get the CD to boot properly, I now get stuck on a screen that says a previous verison of Windows cannot be detected, please insert the windows CD. I don't have the original 98 CD anymore, but it is still on the PC. Is there a way to get it to find Win98 at this point? Anything I can try since Windows can't find Windows on it's own? Why don't you boot into Windows 98, pop in the XP CD and install from Windows. Avoid floppies, and it will definitly find Windows. Tarl ...

Maple9 Can't run, can't re-install
-I installed the maple-9 on laptop without any problem. But when I run it, nothing happens. -I tried to uninstall it with start->settings->control panel->add/remove program->maple9, the "add/remove program" freeze (for long--------). All other programs still work at that time (computer is not froozen). -I tried to shut down the computer, it needs to 'end' the 'un-installation' -I tried to re-install the maple9 from the original CD, nothing happens. -With 'autorun', it runs a few seconds and nothing happens. -Tried to installed it ...

SQL Server Management Studio can't 'see' the 2005 engine?? But can see 2000 ?!?
Hello, I had SQL2000 server running fine on the windows 2003 box. I then installed SQL 2005 Express. They both worked together fine. I then uninstalled SQL 2005 Express and installed SQL 2005 Server. But when I open SQL Server Management Studio, I can only connect to the SQL 2000 engine. In the Object explorer, it says v8.0.2039 (which I think is SQL 2000 Server, because I can see the existing SQL 2000 databases). How can I get SQL Server Management Studio to 'see' the SQL 2005 database engine so I can create tables? I *think* its running because there is the 'sqlservr.exe' process running, and during installation there is no issues. When I open SQL Server Management Studio, I choose 'Database Engine', then my local Servername with Windows Authentication. How do I connect to the SQL 2005 instance? Thanks, Jack. Jack (jack@nospam.com.uk) writes: > I had SQL2000 server running fine on the windows 2003 box. I then > installed SQL 2005 Express. They both worked together fine. I then > uninstalled SQL 2005 Express and installed SQL 2005 Server. But when I > open SQL Server Management Studio, I can only connect to the SQL 2000 > engine. In the Object explorer, it says v8.0.2039 (which I think is SQL > 2000 Server, because I can see the existing SQL 2000 databases). > > How can I get SQL Server Management Studio to 'see' the SQL 2005 > database engine so I can create tables? I *think* its running because &...

Can't start Windows
I just replaced my motherboard in my Compaq Presario 1685. On boot I get the message "Can't find operating system" I tried a 98 start disc it wouldn't access. Any suggestions? Robert King rlking wrote: > I just replaced my motherboard in my Compaq Presario 1685. On boot I get > the message "Can't find operating system" I tried a 98 start disc it > wouldn't access. Any suggestions? > > Robert King > > If what you mean is that the 98 start-up disc does not access your c: partition, chances are the hard disk is not recognized by the Bios. Check there first. Then check the connection between the controller and your disk. -- John Doue In news:NV%ud.1155$2J2.574@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net "rlking" <rlking@sprintmail.com> wrote: > I just replaced my motherboard in my Compaq Presario 1685. On boot I > get the message "Can't find operating system" Did you remember to connect your hard drive? > I tried a 98 start disc it wouldn't access. Any suggestions? Did you remember to connect your floppy? Do you see or hear any signs of disk activity when it's supposed to be booting? Have you gone through the BIOS/setup to see if the peripherals are being detected? -- Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN bert@visi.com rlking <rlking@sprintmail.com> wrote: : I just replaced my motherboard in my Compaq Presario 1685. On boot I get : the message "Can...

Can't connect to X11 window server using 'localhost:0.0'
Hi. I'm using sendmail 8.12.9 for a project on RedHat Fedora Core 2 on my personal computer with a perfectly finctioning X window server. Part of this project requires me to modify sendmail to open a gui application. When I attempted this originally, I got the following error: "No X11 DISPLAY variable was set, but this program performed an operation which requires it." Figuring that sendmail for whatever reason unset it, I added called setenv() to set it and got the following error: "Exception in thread "main" java.lang.InternalError: Can't connect to X11 wind...

it's Windows itself that can't be trusted.
<Quote> Dangerous software inside your web browser is not limited to Internet Explorer. Just today, I was running Firefox on a Windows XP machine when the browser popped up a warning about an unsafe plug-in. In this case, Firefox was smart enough to disable the vulnerable software on its own - very impressive. The vulnerable, buggy software had been installed by Microsoft during an update to the .NET framework component of Windows. According to Finjan, the URLZone Trojan does its nastiness after burrowing its way into your web browser (it attacks IE, Firefox and other browser...

I don't work for IBM and I don't make promises I can't deliver on
I wish I could afford an advertising campaign to compete with what they have on the Internet now. I promise to go totally ballistic at the next LLLNL contract. Robert. On 8/12/2011 11:24 PM, Robert Myers wrote: > I wish I could afford an advertising campaign to compete with what they > have on the Internet now. > > I promise to go totally ballistic at the next LLLNL contract. > > Robert. I don't work for IBM (anymore) either. If you are talking about the death of Blue Waters, I don't believe they said they couldn't deliver. They said they chose not to because they would lose a bunch of money on the project since it turned out to cost a lot more than the initial guess. And I guess Ben chose not to print some more to pay for it. On Aug 24, 11:17=A0pm, Del Cecchi <delcec...@gmail.com> wrote: > On 8/12/2011 11:24 PM, Robert Myers wrote: > > > I wish I could afford an advertising campaign to compete with what they > > have on the Internet now. > > > I promise to go totally ballistic at the next LLLNL contract. > > > Robert. > > I don't work for IBM (anymore) either. =A0If you are talking about the > death of Blue Waters, I don't believe they said they couldn't deliver. > They said they chose not to because they would lose a bunch of money on > the project since it turned out to cost a lot more than the initial guess= .. > > And I guess Ben chose not to print some mor...

CORRECTION : Can't connect to Xserver SHOULD BE Can't connect to XVNCserver

Can't Use OnCurrent Event / Can't Find Macro
I have run into a sudden problem and thought I'd see if anyone else has ran into this. Out of nowhere (sort-of) I am not able to access the OnCurrent event on a subform. I, of course, can write code for the event, but [Event Procedure] under OnCurrent does not show up on the properties of the subform, and the event does not fire. When this problem happened, it seems to have also generated an error while changing records in the Main Form. The error is "...can't find the macro ".". At least I think their related...both started at the same time. I have never used a macro in my life. When I say "sort-of" above, the only thing I can think that I may have done is this: When quickly "ALT-TAB'ing" between my form and the VB editor, I *think* I accidently deleted the words [Event Procedure] out of the said OnCurrent event. Although, I'm quite sure I have done this in the past, and was able to just re-initiate the event, and move on. Now, when I try to re-initiate the event (by clicking the "..." symbol next to the event) it brings up the EXPRESSION BUILDER! Not the Choose Builder request like it should. I have tried everything short of re-creating the form completely (compact/repair, export form - c/r - import form, ext...) Anybody ever see this? You should be able to just type in [Event Procedure] in the event slot and it will begin working. Rational Repairs wrote: >I have run into a sudden problem and thought ...

Windows Can't see Sonicwall, Macs can.
I'm a programmer, not a networking guru, so maybe there's a easy answer to this, but I'm stumped. We have a SonicWall PRO 3060 Standard with a bunch of Macs and a few Windows PCs. The Macs are working great. But the Windows (XP Pro) machines have the following strange problem: They cannot ping the router (but Macs can). They cannot get on the internet (but Macs can). They DO see servers and other machines on our side of the firewall. BUT... They are listed in the router's ARP list. I can ping the PCs from the router. I can ping the PCs from other PCs and from Macs. All are on static IPs. As I said, I'm stumped. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks, Jeff Jeff Cooper wrote: > I'm a programmer, not a networking guru, so maybe there's a easy > answer to this, but I'm stumped. > > We have a SonicWall PRO 3060 Standard with a bunch of Macs and a few > Windows PCs. The Macs are working great. But the Windows (XP Pro) > machines have the following strange problem: > > They cannot ping the router (but Macs can). > They cannot get on the internet (but Macs can). > They DO see servers and other machines on our side of the firewall. > > BUT... > They are listed in the router's ARP list. > I can ping the PCs from the router. > I can ping the PCs from other PCs and from Macs. > > All are on static IPs. > > As I said, I'm stumped. Anyone have any suggestions? > > Thanks,...

Palm can't find com port to synch. I can't either.
Hi. I just got a palm IIIxe. It has a serial connection. When I try to synch, it can't find the computer, and it gave an error message about the com port being busy or not available. I opened the hotsynch on the laptop, and it only showed com 3 Com 1 seemed missing. Is there a way to see what com 1 is being used for? And are com ports numbered 1 and 3? Thanks Jim I wish you luck in getting this "ancient" palm device to work with XP's interpretation of Com ports. Yes there is com 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. You may want to search Microsoft's web site for inform...

python33, windows, UnicodeEncodeError: 'charmap' codec can't encode characters in position, to print out the file contents to stdout,
I run python33 scrupt SVtxt.py from Windows command line I want to print out the file contents to stdout.=20 File contents: "Vi kan inte l=E4ngre underordna den vinster..." Python script sentences i have tries to use: f=3Dopen('C:\Python33\Scripts\lang\langu\svtxt.txt','r') linef=3Df.readlines() f.close() print(linef)#gives error print(linef).decode("utf-8","ignore")#gives error ERROR: c:\Python33\Scripts\lang\langu>python SVtxt.py Traceback (most recent call last): File "SVtxt.py", line 8, in <module> pr...

Forget "Why Can't Johnny Read?" ... Why Can't Eudora Read?
I have a script which writes a MIME-formatted email containing both text and HTML. It works perfectly with all email clients with the exception of the free version of Eudora. As many of you no doubt are aware, a multipart/alternative email is constructed with two or more parts: (1) text for mail clients unable to read HTML and (2) HTML. Eudora is one of the clients which cannot read HTML. So does it read the text version of the multipart/alternative email? Of course not. It tries to read the 2nd part which is the HTML and fails ... thus displaying a table as if it were text. Eudora liter...

Can't see all of the queries when merging to MS Word and can't get to reports
I'm working with a database developed by an untrained person over several years - and on a network that has recently been upgraded with a new server installed and MS office upgraded from 2K (I think - it might have been XP) to 2003. The database is impressive, both in what it does and the obtuse and inconsistent ways it works. There are several hundred queries, for example, with no indication of where they are used or if they are in fact necessary at all... The database is for the local Hospice service, and their entire operation is based on it - from patient records to donations. The database was developed in Access 2K and has not been converted, so it's being opened as an Access 2000 database in Access 2003. I tried converting to 2003, and didn't see any change in the bothersome behavior. There are several letters in MS Word that use the database as the source data for mail merges. Until the conversion, everything worked fine, but with the conversion, it became necessary to specify new locations for the source data for the merges. In MS Word 2003, when I try to open a new datasource, I can specify the MS Access database, but the format of the dialog box is significantly different than I am used to. I am presented with a list of "Views" and tables, with the Views apparently corresponding to the queries in the database. The difficulty is that, unlike in Access 2K, I don't seem to be seeing any query that contain parameters - at least I thin...

Web resources about - config.sys corrupted; can't fix; can't start windows 2000 - comp.windows.misc