Dial up connection wont disconnect

Just in the past few days, once I connect to the internet, I cant
disconnect. I double click on the connection icon in the system tray
and nothing happens. I have also tried right clicking on it and
clicking disconnect and again, nothing happens. It doesnt matter if
Ive been online for 2 minutes or 5 hours it just doesnt respond at
all. The only way i can disconnect is by logging out of windows. Im
running Win 2K and it is a dialup 56k connection. Any input would be
greatly appreciated.

Andy
0
andyzehr (4)
8/13/2003 6:35:14 PM
comp.windows.misc 3229 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

andyzehr@yahoo.com (Andy) wrote in message news:<a985bfca.0308131035.7e3a475f@posting.google.com>...
> Just in the past few days, once I connect to the internet, I cant
> disconnect. I double click on the connection icon in the system tray
> and nothing happens. I have also tried right clicking on it and
> clicking disconnect and again, nothing happens. It doesnt matter if
> Ive been online for 2 minutes or 5 hours it just doesnt respond at
> all. The only way i can disconnect is by logging out of windows. Im
> running Win 2K and it is a dialup 56k connection. Any input would be
> greatly appreciated.
>
> Andy

Have you tried deleting the dial-up networking entry and creating a new one?

Sujit D'Mello
sujitdmello@yahoo.com (Sujit D'Mello) wrote in message news:<887ce6b9.0308141207.aaff815@posting.google.com>...
> andyzehr@yahoo.com (Andy) wrote in message news:<a985bfca.0308131035.7e3a475f@posting.google.com>...
> > Just in the past few days, once I connect to the internet, I cant
> > disconnect. I double click on the connection icon in the system tray
> > and nothing happens. I have also tried right clicking on it and
> > clicking disconnect and again, nothing happens. It doesnt matter if
> > Ive been online for 2 minutes or 5 hours it just doesnt respond at
> > all. The only way i can disconnect is by logging out of windows. Im
> > running Win 2K and it is a dialup 56k connection. Any input would be
> > greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Andy
>
> Have you tried deleting the dial-up networking entry and creating a new one?
>
> Sujit D'Mello

Yes thats the first thing I did, and no help.

Andy
0
andyzehr (4)
8/15/2003 1:39:03 PM
I'm experiencing the same.  The initial cause was a Worm (Welcha?
can't remember the name) carried in \winnt\system32\wins\svchost.exe
that used to crash while I was connected, and after that, I couldn't
disconnect in the way that you descibe.  Now I've deleted the file,
the problem still occurs.

Also, this happens on more than one connection so I'm sure the fault
is not in the connection, and fairly sure its not the modem driver

andyzehr@yahoo.com (Andy) wrote in message news:<a985bfca.0308150539.22cb620b@posting.google.com>...
> sujitdmello@yahoo.com (Sujit D'Mello) wrote in message news:<887ce6b9.0308141207.aaff815@posting.google.com>...
> > andyzehr@yahoo.com (Andy) wrote in message news:<a985bfca.0308131035.7e3a475f@posting.google.com>...
> > > Just in the past few days, once I connect to the internet, I cant
> > > disconnect. I double click on the connection icon in the system tray
> > > and nothing happens. I have also tried right clicking on it and
> > > clicking disconnect and again, nothing happens. It doesnt matter if
> > > Ive been online for 2 minutes or 5 hours it just doesnt respond at
> > > all. The only way i can disconnect is by logging out of windows. Im
> > > running Win 2K and it is a dialup 56k connection. Any input would be
> > > greatly appreciated.
> > >
> > > Andy
> >
> > Have you tried deleting the dial-up networking entry and creating a new one?
> >
> > Sujit D'Mello
>

> Yes thats the first thing I did, and no help.
>
> Andy
0
st9 (1)

Re: Dial up connection wont disconnect
Install updated modem driver, reinstall your ISP software for connecting = to internet. Delete your old DUN setting and recreate it. Make sure you check for any program is in conflict with your DUN = connection in the task manager or startup. Joseph -----Original Message----- From: Andy [mailto:andyzehr@yahoo.com] Posted At: Thursday, August 14, 2003 2:46 AM Posted To: misc Conversation: Dial up connection wont disconnect Subject: Dial up connection wont disconnect Just in the past few days, once I connect to the internet, I cant disconnect. I double click on the connection icon in the sys...

Windows XP Dial-in Connections
I have seen the following article regarding setting up an XP Pro computer to accept incomming VPN connections: http://asia.cnet.com/enterprise/netadmin/0,39035505,39050037-39000223c-1,00.htm I have two questions: 1) Is it possible to configure XP to auto-answer an IDSN line to accept a dial-in connection? 2) Is it possible to configure a direct dial-up connection between two XP computers? Thanks all for your assistance. Regards, Nicolas ...

Windows XP Dial-in Connections
I have seen the following article regarding setting up an XP Pro computer to accept incomming VPN connections: http://asia.cnet.com/enterprise/netadmin/0,39035505,39050037-39000223c-1,00.htm I have two questions: 1) Is it possible to configure XP to auto-answer an IDSN line to accept a dial-in connection? 2) Is it possible to configure a direct dial-up connection between two XP computers? Thanks all for your assistance. Regards, Nicolas ...

Disconnecting a TCP/IP connection on Windows
Anybody can use NETSTAT to see who's connected to their computer, But is there a way to disconnect an active incoming connection that you didn't create? Even a Win API function. Thanks Jay On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 21:31:55 -0700, "Staffing" <jjanarth@yahoo.com> wrote: >Anybody can use NETSTAT to see who's connected to their computer, But is >there a way to disconnect an active incoming connection that you didn't >create? Even a Win API function. > >Thanks > >Jay > Have you seen TCPView from www.sysinternals.com ? ...

Network and Dial-up Connections window missing icons
All of a sudden all the interface icons in my Network and Dail up Connections window are gone. All I have is the "make new connection" icon. The interfaces still appear if I run ipconfig from a command window and all TCP activity still works - just the icons are missing. Anyone have any ideas of where the information from this window comes from and how to get the icons back? -- Noah Davids Serendipity is a function of bandwidth E-mail: ndav1@cox.net Web: http://members.cox.net/~ndav1 ...

Connection problems with dial up connection
Until recently Ive been getting varied connection speeds on my Anytime Dial Up account. In between 44000 bps to 46667bps on an average session. However over the last couple of days it been difficult to connect. If I have done its been around 26400 bps, but often its not connecting. When I listen to the modem dialing up it has a different set of sounds and pitch's when it gets through, compared to what Im used to and its much, much longer in the time if it does connect. Ive checked the connection status and they dont report ...

Connects on Windows does not connect on Linux
Hi, I have got a problem. I have created a simple multithreaded server which accepts connections from several clients. Basically each client creates a thread on the server. It works perfectly fine, no problems at all. The client can open a connection to the server, can send a request to the server, server can read it and respond by sending back information. On Windows 2000 I used VC7_1 and on Linux Gcc 4.1 On linux however, the client can open the connection without any problems and then it cannot send any information to the server, obviously server is notified and a thread is sp...

Dial up connections using Linxpeeds and windows 2000
I have 2 standard Windows� 2000 computer systems both with nothing apart from Windows� 2000 (service pack 3) and the linxpeed software installed. I am trying to make a dial-up connection from one computer to the other but I am having some VERY big problems doing it. I have added a new modem and used the drivers from the CD (cannot find any drivers that seem to be Windows� 2000) I then configure the terminal adapter to use PPP for outgoing and incoming calls. On 1 computer I configure the Incomming connections option in Networking to allow any user to come in over dial-up from...

how to disconnect an Oracle WebDav connection in Windows Explorer?
It's easy enough to set up a WebDav connection on XP (map network drive to http://127.0.0.1:8080), which nicely prompts for the database credentials. But I can't find any references to disconnecting and reconnecting to another database account. Anybody aware of anyway to disconnect the WebDav folder from Oracle without dropping the network mapping or logging out of windows? ++ mcs Mark C. Stock wrote: > It's easy enough to set up a WebDav connection on XP (map network drive to > http://127.0.0.1:8080), which nicely prompts for the database credentials. > > B...

Disconnections : Network connection lost between Windows and Linux
(please forgive my bad and poor english, I hope you'll undertand me...) Hi, I'm using Samba, the one included by default with Red Hat 9, as a file server and a Windows 2000 as a client. They are on the same network (submak 255.255.255.0, the Linux PC with 196.111.111.100 as IP address and 196.111.111.5 for the client Windows). From the Windows client, hen I explore my workgroup, I can see the Linux/Samba just sometime, not every time. I don't know why (??) but that's just a little part of the problem. In fact, it seems there is a "disconnection" a...

Managing Dial-up connection in Windows CE using .net
Hi I am doing a program that will need to make a connection to the internet using a dial-up connection on a GRPS modem in Windows Ce .net. The program will be implemented in C# compact framework. The program will have to connect without the user having to start a connection and answer any dialog boxes. I will have to create my own dialer and manage the connect and disconnect state. How do I set up a dialer? Do I have to setup a RAS connection(using RAS API)? or use the Connection manager API? /Christian Dahm ...

Windows XP
I've just started having a problem with the "Dial-up Connection" box popping up multiple times when I start Internet Explorer. In the past, I would start up IE and the IE window would come up followed by the Dial-up Connection window and then I could press Connect to dial to my ISP. The setting in IE I had selected was "Dial whenever a network connection is not present". Recently, when I click on the IE icon, the Dial-up Connection box comes up for 5 seconds, closes, comes up again for another 5 seconds, closes, and then IE launches followed by the Dial-up Connection...

Windows XP
I've just started having a problem with the "Dial-up Connection" box popping up multiple times when I start Internet Explorer. In the past, I would start up IE and the IE window would come up followed by the Dial-up Connection window and then I could press Connect to dial to my ISP. The setting in IE I had selected was "Dial whenever a network connection is not present". Recently, when I click on the IE icon, the Dial-up Connection box comes up for 5 seconds, closes, comes up again for another 5 seconds, closes, and then IE launches followed by the Dial-up Connection...

Sockets: Why a Connection reset exception on Windows but not on Linux when a client disconnects from a server
I'm curious why I get a Connection reset exception when I run this code on Windows but not on Linux. It's a client and a server communicating through a socket. The exception occurs on the server when the client terminates suddenly. It's ordinary client-server code, but I'll include it for illustration. It make sense that the exception occurs - the server is waiting for the client to send a command, but the client suddenly terminates. What's odd is that the exception occurs on Windows but not on Linux. Here are the results on the server side, when run on Windows Vista: A...

Web resources about - Dial up connection wont disconnect - comp.windows.misc

Perth-based man linked to NZ rape cases unmasked after DNA connection
A rape victim has blasted police for refusing to reveal the name of the man linked by DNA evidence to a series of horrific sexual attacks on ...

Police release image in connection with suspicious death
POLICE are wanting to speak with two men to help with investigations into the possibly suspicious death of a man on the Sunshine Coast on Sunday. ...

Melbourne's happiest tram driver brings joy and connection to the daily grind
It's a drizzly, grey Saturday morning on the 109 from Box Hill to Port Melbourne.

Arrests made in connection with 3 OC escaped inmates, sheriff says
Orange County Sheriff Sandra Hutchens said five arrests have been made in connection with three inmates who escaped the Orange County Central ...

Virgina Tech students arrested in connection with missing girl found dead - Videos - CBS News
Two Virgina Tech students were arrested this weekend in connection with the death of a 13-year-old girl. The girl's family reported her missing ...

Brazil’s Distributed Generation Connections Triple In 2015
Distributed generation of electricity in Brazil showed a remarkably strong growth trend in 2015, as the number of connections grew 308%. This ...