Dial up connection wont disconnect

Just in the past few days, once I connect to the internet, I cant
disconnect. I double click on the connection icon in the system tray
and nothing happens. I have also tried right clicking on it and
clicking disconnect and again, nothing happens. It doesnt matter if
Ive been online for 2 minutes or 5 hours it just doesnt respond at
all. The only way i can disconnect is by logging out of windows. Im
running Win 2K and it is a dialup 56k connection. Any input would be
greatly appreciated.

Andy
0
andyzehr (4)
8/13/2003 6:35:14 PM
comp.windows.misc 3227 articles. 2 followers. Post Follow

andyzehr@yahoo.com (Andy) wrote in message news:<a985bfca.0308131035.7e3a475f@posting.google.com>...
> Just in the past few days, once I connect to the internet, I cant
> disconnect. I double click on the connection icon in the system tray
> and nothing happens. I have also tried right clicking on it and
> clicking disconnect and again, nothing happens. It doesnt matter if
> Ive been online for 2 minutes or 5 hours it just doesnt respond at
> all. The only way i can disconnect is by logging out of windows. Im
> running Win 2K and it is a dialup 56k connection. Any input would be
> greatly appreciated.
>
> Andy

Have you tried deleting the dial-up networking entry and creating a new one?

Sujit D'Mello
sujitdmello@yahoo.com (Sujit D'Mello) wrote in message news:<887ce6b9.0308141207.aaff815@posting.google.com>...
> andyzehr@yahoo.com (Andy) wrote in message news:<a985bfca.0308131035.7e3a475f@posting.google.com>...
> > Just in the past few days, once I connect to the internet, I cant
> > disconnect. I double click on the connection icon in the system tray
> > and nothing happens. I have also tried right clicking on it and
> > clicking disconnect and again, nothing happens. It doesnt matter if
> > Ive been online for 2 minutes or 5 hours it just doesnt respond at
> > all. The only way i can disconnect is by logging out of windows. Im
> > running Win 2K and it is a dialup 56k connection. Any input would be
> > greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Andy
>
> Have you tried deleting the dial-up networking entry and creating a new one?
>
> Sujit D'Mello

Yes thats the first thing I did, and no help.

Andy
0
andyzehr (4)
8/15/2003 1:39:03 PM
I'm experiencing the same.  The initial cause was a Worm (Welcha?
can't remember the name) carried in \winnt\system32\wins\svchost.exe
that used to crash while I was connected, and after that, I couldn't
disconnect in the way that you descibe.  Now I've deleted the file,
the problem still occurs.

Also, this happens on more than one connection so I'm sure the fault
is not in the connection, and fairly sure its not the modem driver

andyzehr@yahoo.com (Andy) wrote in message news:<a985bfca.0308150539.22cb620b@posting.google.com>...
> sujitdmello@yahoo.com (Sujit D'Mello) wrote in message news:<887ce6b9.0308141207.aaff815@posting.google.com>...
> > andyzehr@yahoo.com (Andy) wrote in message news:<a985bfca.0308131035.7e3a475f@posting.google.com>...
> > > Just in the past few days, once I connect to the internet, I cant
> > > disconnect. I double click on the connection icon in the system tray
> > > and nothing happens. I have also tried right clicking on it and
> > > clicking disconnect and again, nothing happens. It doesnt matter if
> > > Ive been online for 2 minutes or 5 hours it just doesnt respond at
> > > all. The only way i can disconnect is by logging out of windows. Im
> > > running Win 2K and it is a dialup 56k connection. Any input would be
> > > greatly appreciated.
> > >
> > > Andy
> >
> > Have you tried deleting the dial-up networking entry and creating a new one?
> >
> > Sujit D'Mello
>

> Yes thats the first thing I did, and no help.
>
> Andy
0
st9 (1)

EzVPN over ISDN dial-up
Hi all, I have a pretty unusual (at least for me) situation. I have a hub site connected to ISP using frame-relay (with some static IP's, of course). I also have spoke sites that have ISDN dial-up (dynamic addresses, of course) to the same ISP. My goal is to make a hub site easy VPN server and spokes as easy VPN clients. On hub site I have a 1751 with VPN module, and on spoke sites 1721 w/VPN module. All spoke sites have at least one LAN behind them and need to communicate only with hub site. I don't want any configuration (that's my part), just oppinions about it. Is th...

Zyxel Omni.net Plus TA: Dial in impossible!?!?
Hello all. I'm using a 2 identically configured machines (RH 7.0) connected to ISDN phone lines through Zyxel Omni.net plus TAs, one on each machine. The objective is to dial one machine (remote) from the other (local) and get a login prompt. I'm using uucp and uugetty to dial and answer the calls between the machines...but the TA is acting up on me..... it answers the phone, but seconds later I get a NO CARRIER error on the local machine and can't complete the connection...both TAs work fine when doing dial-out (access internet with kppp or a terminal program)...but the dial-in ...

how to disconnect an Oracle WebDav connection in Windows Explorer?
It's easy enough to set up a WebDav connection on XP (map network drive to http://127.0.0.1:8080), which nicely prompts for the database credentials. But I can't find any references to disconnecting and reconnecting to another database account. Anybody aware of anyway to disconnect the WebDav folder from Oracle without dropping the network mapping or logging out of windows? ++ mcs Mark C. Stock wrote: > It's easy enough to set up a WebDav connection on XP (map network drive to > http://127.0.0.1:8080), which nicely prompts for the database credentials. > > B...

How to connect a SCSI device
I'm running 9406-800 V5R3. Installed is an external IBM LTO SCSI tape device which is recognized as *TAP-001 only. I expected it to be recognized as 3580. The IOP is 2844 and the IOA is 5702. The device does write and read tapes, but from time to time i get CPI5922 src 63A09100 and other problems. I think that is due to the fact the system does nut use the correct device drivers. Any ideas are welcome! Martin Martin Hinze wrote: > I'm running 9406-800 V5R3. Installed is an external IBM LTO SCSI tape > device which is recognized as *TAP-001 only. I expected it to be > ...

Launching an application: Does PHP limit network connections?
Hi folks, I am having a problem using PHP to launch an application on the server. All the basics work, but I cannot launch more than 4 instances of the application. This application functions as a server itself, and I specify the port number when I launch it, so my theory is that I am reaching some limit on network connections. This is my basic launch sequence: <?php $command = 'c:\\Program Files (x86)\\myprog\\myprogram.exe'; $arguments = ' /Port:' . $port; exec('C:\\PsTools\\psexec.exe -accepteula -d -s "' . $command . '" ' . $arguments . ...

SN#12788 Java[TM] DataBase Connectivity API Features in Oracle 10g Database
SYSTEM NEWS FOR SUN USERS Vol 74 Issue 2 2004-04-12 Article 12788 from section "Developer's Section" Tutorial on Concepts and Usage The Oracle Technology Network provides a tutorial that outlines the features of Java[TM] DataBase Connectivity (JDBC[TM]) technology in relation to the new enhancements that they bring to the Oracle 10g database. The tutorial evaluates Web RowSets, Connection Cache, and Named Parameters, IEEE datatypes -- BINARY_DOUBLE and BINARY_FLOAT, and PL/SQL Index-by Tables. Each secti...

Diversi-Dial
Has anyone torn this program apart? Also, for all you d-dialers, there's a Yahoo user group as well as a website running a D-Dial simulator at www.ddial.com Wayback from NJ, Central Control! D-Dial #49 ...

PostgreSQL database connectivity
Could you please explain from the begining how to use jdbc driver for postgresql DB connectivity with Matlab. thank you ...

Gui-Child /Main connections
Hi to all! My problem is the next: I have to create (in my gui) a pop-up window (child) that asks for some information and "gives" them to the main gui that needs to use them. how can the main gui retrieve that informations(if it has done a child-gui call)? How is the easy way to do that? Spir4L <breaking@supereva.it> wrote in message <23870270.1208851277598.JavaMail.jakarta@nitrogen.mathforum.org>... > Hi to all! > My problem is the next: > I have to create (in my gui) a pop-up window (child) that asks for some information and "gives" them...

Maximum Number of TCP Connections for Red Hat Linux 8.x
Could anyone tell me what the default for the maximum number of TCP connections is for Red Hat Linux 8.x and how to change this value? TIA Detlef DEngelbrechtBT schrieb: > Could anyone tell me what the default for the maximum number of TCP > connections is for Red Hat Linux 8.x and how to change this value? That depends. Are you using iptables for routing and/or firewalling? If so, then you might want to change the ip_conntrack values. Look at these special files (just "cat" them -- values can be written with "echo"): /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_conntrack_max /proc/sy...

Dialing 311? Hold That Call
http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2006/05/14/dialing_311_hold_that_c= all/ May 14, 2006 Ric Kahn's article '311' (City Weekly, April 30) hits the nail on the head with regard to the desirability of a centralized citizen request, dispatch, and tracking system for city services, but misses the mark in suggesting that 311 should be the access code. I believe that using 311 as the telephone access code for the centralized request line is not a good idea in 2006. 311 works only if all callers in the city can reach it -- if it's ''routable," in te...

Intermittant connection problems from Windows machines to IMAP
Hi, I'm having an intermittant problem with all the Windows machines on my LAN connecting to Courier IMAP. Error messages is: Could not connect to server <foo.bar.server> connection was refused All machines are using Thundbird 2.04 as their IMAP client, machines connecting from outside the LAN and my own machine which runs Linux do not have the problem. Total number of similtaneous connections to the server I consider fairly low, typically between 30 - 60. Machine is a Pentium D 3Ghz with 1GB RAM CPU rarely hits double figures and generally stays below 5% Mem ...

Connect using HS Cable vs Tel Dial Up
How can I get Eudora 6.0 to connect using my new HS wireless cable connection, rather than my old telephone Dial Up? Have tried the following: 1) Create new Personality. It continues to use the Dial Up Telephone connection. There is no place in the new personality creation process where you specify how to connect. 2) In Eudora Options/Internet Dial Up. Here I have cleared the box for "Have Eudora connect using Dial Up Networking" This seems to have enabled me to RETRIEVE messages, (with only my wireless connection connected, and tel dial up not connected) but attem...

Re: Filezilla connection
From: Kevin Handy <kth@srv.net> > Or, is there a simple FTP gui program that I can use instead? Long ago, I had some success using SmartFTP ("http://smartftp.com/"). It could be broken by now, but it's worth a try, and they did fix a couple of VMS-related bugs a few years ago. ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Steven M. Schweda sms@antinode-org 382 South Warwick Street (+1) 651-699-9818 Saint Paul MN 55105-2547 Steven M. Schweda wrote: > From: Kevin Handy <kth@srv.net> > >>...

Re: Looking to connect a second broadband connection for failover and add a second firewall, any suggestions?
A late reply, but we sell the SnapGear SME 570 Securty Appliance. This has stateful-packet firewall, VPN & Failover. More details on the SME570 can be found here: http://www.snapgear.com/sme570.html Our SnapGear site: http://www.infowest.ca/snapgear/ Regards, Jeff Young A few other options: Sonicwall Pro 3060 (with enhanced OS upgrade) or Pro 4060, as a replacement for your firewall. Or, you can put a dual-wan router between your internet connections and the firewall, have one nat between the router and the firewall, and then use the firewall as before. Some products: www.astro...

c++ matlab connection
Greetings Does anyone know of a vtk,itk compatible matrix/array class that can quickly and seamlessly connect with matlabs mxArray ? I need to interface matlab with vtk,itk so I need to check row and column ordering etc... thanks ...

Worldwide Telephone Numbers (Re: How to Dial US Toll Free)
PAT: PLEASE suppress my email address where-ever it might appear in the headers, in order to try to reduce $pam. Thanks. > Subject: How to Dial US Toll Free from Toronto > Can someone tell me how to dial 800 and 888 numbers in the US from > Toronto? > [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: A good question. This is mostly up > to the recipient of the call, if he wants to receive a call from > an international point or not. Since Toronto is part of the same > dialing plan as here in USA, the call completes if the owner of > the number wants to recieve it. If no...

WD 500GB MyBook + Panther MBP = no firewire connection
This problem predates 10.5.1, as i saw it on 10.4.10 (?) or whatever my macbook pro came with in late sept/early oct. I purchased a WD 500 gigabyte MyBook with firewire-400/800 / USB-2.0 "connectivity". Foolishly, i ASSumed that buying a peripheral at the apple store assured high functioning compatibility. I cannot get it to do anything via the firewire connections. The best i get out of my system is "unrecognized device". USB 2.0 works well enough, i guess, but i bought it to work with the fw800 connection. On a scale of 1-10, i would rate the W...

Dial Up
I need to make a dial up connection (maybe existing if could), or make a dial up via the RAS connection. Does anybody know how to set parameters of RasDial function of rasapi32.dll, or is there any other way to solve the problem. Alternately you could use CapeSoft's NetTalk (www.capesoft.com/accessories/netsp.htm) which does all this hard work for you. Cheers Jono "marin kaluza" <marin@mapro.hr> wrote in message news:bgb2f2$vbp$1@ls219.htnet.hr... > I need to make a dial up connection (maybe existing if could), or make a > dial up via the RAS connection. > &g...

ntl:freedom dial-up service to ditch non-MS or Mac users
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/33404.html On Wed, 15 Oct 2003, S G E Green wrote: > http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/33404.html Technical support were happy to give me the correct phone number to ring - in fact they've done this three times in the time I've been with them and each time they've said "we don't support Linux really, but this is what you do" (paraphrase) Whatever they might have said in public, it seems that they're not cutting things off completely just yet. I thought the article was a little reactionary given that th...

1 Gbps on dial-up modems -- Floyd L. Davidson please answer me!!!!! 1 Gbps on dial-up modems -- Floyd L. Davidson please answer me!!!!! 1 Gbps on dial-up modems -- Floyd L. Davidson please answer me!!
I politely asked a question! Would you please answer me before I go insane and do something both me and everyone else regrets??????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I politely asked a question! I politely asked a question! I politely asked a question! I politely asked a question! I politely asked a question! I politely asked a question! I politely asked a question! I politely asked a question! I politely asked a question! I politely asked a question! Would you please answer me before I go insa...

Net2454
Hello! I've got some serious problem in running an OS/2-Network. First my specs: - Warp4 + Fixpack 15 running on Virtual PC - Domain-Server on a different subnet - IP-Stack version 4.01t (afair) - TCPBEUI installed and configured (Nameslist updated, WinS-Server, Node-Type set to H) - MPTN\ETC\HOSTS updated for the primary and secondary domain - Nameserver-Adresses for TCP/IP set correctly - Login-Data in capital-letters and <9 chars - name of the share in capital-letters and <9 chars (\\FSC01ADM \ADMTEST) What works: - Ping to the Domain-Server - Ping to the Server who owns the...

Closing a Connection
I am using VO2ADO version 2.6.13 on MS SQLServer When I am issuing the Close method of the AdoConnection class, it takes about 20 to 30 secs to actually close the connection on the server. The state of the object is adStateClose even though the connection is still alive at the server. Any ideas as to how to close the connection immediatly as we need to close all connections at a particular database to run a restore? Thanks Michael Q:Also, how do you know the connection is alive at the server? A: The profiler will tell you when a connection is closed if you have auditing...

Re: Portable Numbers and 10 Digit Dialing? #5
On Sat, 29 Nov 2003, Thomas A. Horsley wrote: >> OR requiring post-dial-delay and timeouts if there are conflicts, on >> calls intended as dialed as just seven-digits, of course most of us >> know that a trailing '#' (POUND) button could eliminate the 3-5 second >> post dial delay if intended as just seven-digits... > Actually, this seems like a fine way to go - a delay would even allow > 4 digit dialing to the same exchange, but mainly it would provide > a way (however lame) of shutting up the critics (and forcing them > to waste time wa...

WinXP client can't connect to Linux shares
When I try to connect to my Linux shares from my WinXP client, I get the message "Network path not found", however when I'm at the linuxbox I can see and access the files shared on the WinXP machine without even having to authenticate via username/password (which I don't like by the way- very big security problem)..... When I'm at the Linuxbox and use the following command: smbclient //Rennyslaptop/SharedDocs/My Pictures/ -U Renny -W collarland I get the following output: added interface ip=192.168.1.2 bcast=192.168.1.255 nmask=255.255.255.0 added interface ...