external hard drive with laptop

OK, guys---we've got a couple of rocket scientists (not) hard at work, and
we've run up against a stump.  Let me give the background of the problem,
and tell what we're up to.

Got a friend who has a laptop.  His hard drive crashed awhile back.  He took
the laptop to a pc shop and got a new hard drive installed.  He was checking
out options of recovering his files off the old hard drive.  I told him same
thing had happened to me, and the way I did it was to take out my bad hard
drive, get all the numbers off it, find a new identical one, then take the
controller boards off and swap the suspect bad one for the known good one,
and then stuff the hard drive back in my pc.  It worked fine, and I was able
to copy off my files.

My friend has now done the same thing, and has his old hard drive ready to
go, with a new controller board on it.

He's trying to simply get the hard drive to run as an external drive,
without having to go inside the laptop and swap the new/old drives out.
He's got USB ports available.

This morning, he tried using the old hard drive from a USB port.  So far,
his laptop doesn't let him do this.  Bear in mind that the disk inside the
hard drive is already partitioned and formatted, and has data on it that he
doesn't want to lose.

We can eventually take the new hard drive out of the laptop, and put the old
one if, if we have to.  This is our approach of last resort, though.

So, does anyone have any neat tricks we can try to get the laptop to
recognize its old now external hard drive?

0
rbig1 (35)
12/23/2005 7:30:05 PM
comp.windows.misc 3202 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

RB wrote:

> OK, guys---we've got a couple of rocket scientists (not) hard at work, and
> we've run up against a stump.  Let me give the background of the problem,
> and tell what we're up to.
>
> Got a friend who has a laptop.  His hard drive crashed awhile back.  He took
> the laptop to a pc shop and got a new hard drive installed.  He was checking
> out options of recovering his files off the old hard drive.  I told him same
> thing had happened to me, and the way I did it was to take out my bad hard
> drive, get all the numbers off it, find a new identical one, then take the
> controller boards off and swap the suspect bad one for the known good one,
> and then stuff the hard drive back in my pc.  It worked fine, and I was able
> to copy off my files.
>
> My friend has now done the same thing, and has his old hard drive ready to
> go, with a new controller board on it.
>
> He's trying to simply get the hard drive to run as an external drive,
> without having to go inside the laptop and swap the new/old drives out.
> He's got USB ports available.
>
> This morning, he tried using the old hard drive from a USB port.  So far,
> his laptop doesn't let him do this.  Bear in mind that the disk inside the
> hard drive is already partitioned and formatted, and has data on it that he
> doesn't want to lose.
>
> We can eventually take the new hard drive out of the laptop, and put the old
> one if, if we have to.  This is our approach of last resort, though.
>
> So, does anyone have any neat tricks we can try to get the laptop to
> recognize its old now external hard drive?

There are different types of hard drive crashes. One that involves
just the electronics can be fixed in the manner described by swapping
the PC board. But a physical HD crash, one affecting the platters
and the heads or even the HD motors is a totally different story.
Did the HD spin up when power was applied to it in the USB casing?
If it did, was there excessive vibration, mechanical noises, etc.?

0
h31 (9)
12/24/2005 3:20:16 PM
You're too right!  This was a calculated risk thing.  Data recovery services
wanted approx $1200.  The files were important, but not that valuable.  So,
we're gambling that some little component on the controller board went bad,
and not the motor or disk.  At worst, my friend is out maybe $60.

Our current problem is getting the hard drive from the laptop (with new
controller board on it) to play with the laptop (laptop has a new hard drive
in it).  My friend tried getting the "external" hard drive to run from a USB
port, but the laptop doesn't recognize it.  I'm thinking now he should use
an IDE adapter cable he's got and try it that way.

0
rbig1 (35)
12/24/2005 11:54:44 PM
rnal" hard drive to run from a USB
> port, but the laptop doesn't recognize it.  I'm thinking now he should use
> an IDE adapter cable he's got and try it that way.

Surely the external HDD has to be in a housing with electronics that
convert IDE to USB - these housings are widely sold for just the purpose
of re-using an old, removed, laptop drive as an external backup.

dan

Premade external hard drive or internal hard drive with enclosure?
Hi, My WD mybook external hardrive died, and now i need a new one for my laptop (which has th elaptop firewire conneciton, which isn't the same as the pc firewire connection that most external harddrives come with, thus need to use usb) So I'm thinking of getting the following toshiba 320 gb external ( see link below). However I have also been considering getting a regular internal harddrive and enclosure. would this be better in terms of reliability and speed? How difficult is this to set up? If this is better any recommendations for a 300-500 gb drive and enclosure? T...

Syncing folders
Hi. I have an external Hard Drive - I keep MP3 etc. on it I want a folder on my MacBook Pro hard disk that syncs to it Is this possible ben.necho@yahoo.com wrote: > Hi. > > I have an external Hard Drive - I keep MP3 etc. on it > > I want a folder on my MacBook Pro hard disk that syncs to it > > Is this possible === I use "arRsync" from .......... http://arrsync.sourceforge.net/ ... free and opensource === mikehes@gmail.com wrote: > ben.necho@yahoo.com wrote: > > Hi. > > > > I have an external Hard Drive - I keep MP3 etc. on it...

External hard drive for two laptops
Hi everyone, I looking for some help in picking out an external hard drive that will suit my needs. I've read the literature online and need guidance from some one who is or has been in a similar situation. I have two laptops -- one that is personal Dell machine and the second is a work issued think pad. I want to be able to store files on an external hard drive (~300GB) such that the data stored on the drive can be accessed by both laptops. I plan to store music, video, pictures, etc. I'm thinking of the following configuration: 300 GB+ memory, 7200 RPM, 16 MB data buffer, with a USB interface. I can't figure out whether I will need a HD that has at least 2 USB ports? Do I? Will a hard drive that has only one USB port allow me to transfer data between my two laptops? My confusion is a bit compounded by the fact that apparently some HDs use two USB ports -- one for power and one for data. Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated. Also, if you can recommend something that fits this spec I'd be very grateful. Thanks classinus "classinus" <firstsaurabh@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1153795505.022725.286330@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com... > Hi everyone, > > I looking for some help in picking out an external hard drive that will > suit my needs. I've read the literature online and need guidance from > some one who is or has been in a similar situation. > > I have two laptops -- one that is personal Dell m...

FT: 6.4gb desktop hard drives....I need laptop hard drives
I have at least 50 6.4gb hard drives(these go in your desktop or tower, most are western digital and some are maxtor). I'd like to trade some or all of these for 4gb or 5gb laptop hard drives, the laptop drives must fit into an ibm thinkpad 600. to email me go here: http://www.geocities.com/pauldbz/ ...

One external hard drive for two laptops?
I know there are some external hard drives with two interfaces (USB and/or Firewire) but are there any that allows both to be used in simultaneous parallel operation? The simple answer is no. You would need to set up a simple LAN network between the 2 computers, and then connect the hard drive to one. The hard drive could then be configured as a "shared drive" by right clicking on it in my computer. Then both computers could share the same drive. A crossover cable, or a switch and 2 ethernet cables should set up the network for you. It should be inexpensive. jdemuro@hotmail.com (digital doc) wrote in message news:<640212a7.0308210338.5e906a9e@posting.google.com>... > The simple answer is no. You would need to set up a simple LAN > network between the 2 computers, and then connect the hard drive to > one. The hard drive could then be configured as a "shared drive" by > right clicking on it in my computer. Then both computers could share > the same drive. A crossover cable, or a switch and 2 ethernet cables > should set up the network for you. It should be inexpensive. Would I be able to configure the Automated Backup Software to backup changes on both drives? ...

Plastic insulator for laptop hard drive (preventing short circuits on hard drive caddy) #2
Hi, I need to replace a hard drive in a laptop. The hard drive is mounted in a metal caddy. There's a brown plastic insulator glued to the metal caddy to prevent the circuit board of the original hard drive touching the metal and cause a short circuit. The plastic is custom-cut for the original hard drive (the circuit board doesn't cover the entire hard drive top surface). The new hard drive has a circuit board covering the whole hard drive top surface. So there's an area where the circuit board touches the metal of the caddy. The question is : Where can we buy some pl...

External USB hard drive & Windows XP
I have a 60GB Seagate Barracuda ATA IV hard disk drive (originally the C: drive of my previous computer) installed in a USB 2.0 external hard drive enclosure. I plugged in the hard drive to the USB port on my HP M370n desktop computer. The HP recognizes the drive as it shows up in Windows Explorer as the K: drive. I'm also able to see the filenames in the root directory. However, all folders appear to be empty: when I double-click on any of the root folders, there are no files contained in them. Also, when I try to format the K: drive, I get the following error message: "Windows...

Seeing external hard drive in XP Windows Explorer
Trying to use an external hard drive with XP and can't see it in the Windows Explorer window. The system knows it's there and reports it as working properly when looking at it in the 'Safely Remove Hardware' windows. There it is reported to be at "Location 0", but does not have a drive location like the CD drive, i.e. E:. The drive was formatted on an NT box, but wouldn't think that would matter. Forget whether it was FAT or NTFS. Any pointers someone could share? Thanks. ...

using an external hard drive for both mac & windows
hey. i bought an external, plug and play hard drive, to back up my files and also to transfer files from my older windows laptop to my new macbook pro. I formated the hard drive on windows as a NTFS drive (i noticed that when you format on windows, mac can read the files, but when you format on mac, windows don't recognize the files. Now that you know the background, here's what i'm trying to do.. since i formatted the HD on windows i have full read/write permissions. however, when i plug it into my mac the HD is read only. Is thee a way I could add the write permission to ...

XP laptop won't recognize PCMCIA external hard drive
Hello. I have an IBM Travelstar E 8GB PCMCIA (external) hard drive. It has a standard PC card attached to a short cable, which connects to the external drive enclosure. Works fine on my Win 98SE laptop. However, when I plugged the drive in to my new Win XP Home notebook, it wouldn't recognize it. I think its icon had either the question mark or exclamation point in Device Manager. But it simply doesn't show up as a drive in My Computer like it did in Win 98. Now, it's formatted as a FAT32; that shouldn't matter, right? Is there another driver that I can point XP to? Could this be some sort of 16-bit vs. 32-bit thing with PCMCIA? Thanks for any help. Fr@nk It's not FAT32 vs. NTFS, and it's not cardbus vs. 16-bit PC card (because it works under 98). Sounds like a driver issue. That device (I have had one, so I do know what it is) simply may not work under XP (I am sure that the driver does not explicitly support XP). I'd suggest moving to a USB box (you can move the drive if you like). You can get USB 2 external drive boxes, complete with cables and all, for about $10. Check the drive thickness, many of the USB 2 boxes only support 9.5mm drives, but boxes that will hold 12 and 17mm drives are available, just a bit harder to find. Fr@nk wrote: > Hello. I have an IBM Travelstar E 8GB PCMCIA (external) hard drive. It has a > standard PC card attached to a short cable, which connects to the external > drive enclosure. Works ...

Suggestions for easy Windows XP Professional laptop backup to external USB hard disk
I have a Windows XP Professional laptop with a 40GB hard disk and a second 40GB hard disk that I use primarily for backup. I love the Second Copy backup utility, and it runs and makes archived copies from my primary to my secondary hard disk periodically. But I'd like to have a bootable complete system image copied as well from my primary, and a snapshot made of my backup disk. I am thinking of purchasing a 160GB external USB drive. Are there any suggestions of software strategies, as well as particular external drive hardware, that would easily enable me to do something like:...

Can not boot once USB 2.0 external hard drive installed on Windows XP
Hi all, I installed an external Western Digital in an external USB 2.0 case to my Compaq computer yesterday. The hard drive (once formatted) works fine once I plug it into the system and I can use it as an extra drive which is great. However if I "REBOOT" the Windows XP machine, it hangs after memory test and will not continue to boot. If I unplug or poweroff the external USB 2.0 hard drive, booting continues fine. The guy below had exactly the same problem as me back in 2002 but I did not see any replies. Any ideas ? Thank you, Rudy ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~...

How to back up a Thinkpad hard drive to external drive?
My Thinkpad arrived, and the 40 Gb drive has only 30 Gb useable, the rest apparently being devoted to a hidden partition used for system recovery. Is there any site out there which explains just how this partition is laid out, and how one would go about backing up the entire drive? Or, do you have to back up the hidden partition separately from the one labeled "IBM_PRELOAD (C:)"? Apparently there is 10 GB of reserved space on the drive. I was wondering how others handle their backups. I now use a large external firewire drive to back up all the other machines to separate partitions, so was wondering just how to back this one up. I haven't yet been able to find anything on the IBM site on just how this drive is laid out and how the hidden partition is handled. THanks for your help. Jim >I was wondering how others handle their backups. A Disk-to-Disk backup will image all partitions. Check out this very helpful link: http://ghost.radified.com John Jim : > My Thinkpad arrived, and the 40 Gb drive has only 30 Gb useable, the > rest apparently being devoted to a hidden partition used for system > recovery. Is there any site out there which explains just how this > partition is laid out, and how one would go about backing up the > entire drive? Try to search ibm.com for "hidden protected area". I like ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/pc/pccbbs/access_ibm_en/hpa_aibm.pdf. > Or, do you have to back up the hidden partitio...

Maxtor External 3000LS External Hard Drive Installation
Hello, I have a problem that has popped up while I tried to install a Maxtor external hard drive. I cannot get my Windows 98SE to recognize the new drive or I cannot find the hardware that has already been installed by the system. I am not sure which. Background is as follows: I purchased the hard drive for my computer that is running 98SE, but the drive requires a special driver for this operating system. I made the mistake of plugging in the new drive to my USB port before I had the necessary driver for the drive ready to use during the installation. The first time I plugged the drive...

Having hard time retrieving Laptop hard drive data
I am trying to recover data from my laptop's hard drive. I took the hard drive out of the laptop and put it in one of those external hard drive boxes that connect to the USB port of a PC and within a few minutes the drive showed up including access to all the files inside the old hard drive. I started switching files around from one folder to another to prepare to burn them on DVD discs. Stupid mistake! I should have immediately copied the files from the old hard drive into the computer!!!!! Within about 30 minutes of switching files around, suddenly that particular hard drive disapeared from the computer saying I no longer had access to it. I've tried it on other computers using the same external box and even went to the point of buying another brand's external box---which the computer never even recognzied, meaning I had less success with it. Now, still trying to access the data, all the computer does is set up a drive for it but it tries yet never actually reads it. All the hard drive does is turn and turn and turn for hours until I get tired and unplug it. Device Manager says the device is working perfectly. I have even tried one of those internal IDE plug adapters. I don't know if I need to set jumpers or what but I have tried everything I possibly know how to try. Does anyone know of any other possible way or some other method to get data off this laptop hard drive? Or is there something I am possibly doing wrong with the devices I have becaus...

wanted: drive sled for 611 external hard drive
i have a sun 611 external hard drive enclosure lacking the drive sled/tray or whatever you want to call it. anyone have one for sale or trade? -- getting out of bed in the morning is an act of false confidence - jules feifer to email me, delete syzygy. from my return address In article <11eno64cpl52899@corp.supernews.com>, Arthur Wouk <awouk@syzygy.nilenet.com> wrote: >i have a sun 611 external hard drive enclosure lacking the drive sled/tray >or whatever you want to call it. anyone have one for sale or trade? You mean what the FEH calls a SPARCstorage UniPack? According to the same FEH, that is simply called a "mounting bracket", and the Sun part number is 340-3222 for disk and for tape drives. No hits on eBay at the moment. Perhaps you should check with Sun. They're probably not that expensive. Good Luck, DoN. -- Email: <dnichols@d-and-d.com> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564 (too) near Washington D.C. | http://www.d-and-d.com/dnichols/DoN.html --- Black Holes are where God is dividing by zero --- Yes I have these in stock and we are based in the UK Give me a mail if you are interested Ron@ashlyn.co.uk Arthur Wouk wrote: >i have a sun 611 external hard drive enclosure lacking the drive sled/tray >or whatever you want to call it. anyone have one for sale or trade? > > ...

Which external caddy for 2.5 external hard drive is the best?
Hi, I'm shopping for a good looking and reliable external 2.5'' caddy. I'll be obliged if anyone could recommend one . THANKS ! In article <8lHun.679116$5n1.363705@newsfe01.ams2>, McGonigle <mcgonigle@eu.org> wrote: >Hi, I'm shopping for a good looking and reliable >external 2.5'' caddy. I'll be obliged if anyone could >recommend one . THANKS ! Reliability is good, but you have to plan for the fact that the *best* disk can die the day after you buy it and you must plan your computer procedures accordingly. I don't know what an "external caddy" is. I've just bought a Seagate FreeAgent USB disk (500MB). http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/external/freeagent/ There are several manufactures and I expect that they are all about the same. It's powered of the USB jack. It doesn't need a wall wart. -- Al Dykes News is something someone wants to suppress, everything else is advertising. - Lord Northcliffe, publisher of the Daily Mail They are all pretty much the same except for differences you can clearly see. The USB to {drive} conversion is just a single chip, and while there are different ones, you won't know which one any given product has and for the most part it doesn't matter. McGonigle wrote: > Hi, I'm shopping for a good looking and reliable external 2.5'' caddy. > I'll be obliged if anyone could recommend one . THANKS ! ...

External Hard Drive (USB) recognizes hardware but not drives
I pulled a IBM Travelstar disk from a T21 (I know it works fine, the problem on the laptop was with the motherboard). I connected it to a Argosy HD260 external hard disk case (USB connection). On connecting to an XP box, the system recognizes an IBM-DJSA-220 USB Device, but no drive letter appear (the disk was used on Win2K, so I assume it is NTFS, and has two partitions). How can I see the two volumes on the disk to access the data? Thanks <aribloch@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1164540238.912622.152430@j72g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > > I pulled a IBM Travelstar disk from a T21 (I know it works fine, the > problem on the laptop was with the motherboard). I connected it to a > Argosy HD260 external hard disk case (USB connection). On connecting to > an XP box, the system recognizes an IBM-DJSA-220 USB Device, but no > drive letter appear (the disk was used on Win2K, so I assume it is > NTFS, and has two partitions). > > How can I see the two volumes on the disk to access the data? > > Thanks aribloch: These USB external HDD non-recognition problems in the XP environment have been a source of continuing irritation (not to say aggravation) to many of us. For what it's worth we've put together a kind of checklist for troubleshooting this kind of problem which I've listed below. But before getting to them you might want to try the following... I'm assuming your reference ...

Which external caddy for 2.5 external hard drive is the best?
Hi, I'm shopping for a good looking and reliable external 2.5'' caddy. I'll be obliged if anyone could recommend one . THANKS ! ...

upgrading hard drive on laptop
I have a laptop with a 30Gig hard drive that I have partitioned into 2 equal partitions. I would like to replace the 30gig with a 60 gig drive. What is the easiest way to transfer my drive image, so that I don't need to install Windows XP and all of my applications on the new drive. Thanks techman41973@yahoo.com wrote: : I have a laptop with a 30Gig hard drive that I have partitioned into 2 : equal partitions. I would like to replace the 30gig with a 60 gig : drive. What is the easiest way to transfer my drive image, so that I : don't need to install Windows XP and all of my applications on the new : drive. Get a USB enclosure for a 2.5" hard drive, then clone the current drive to the new drive, then swap the new drive in. I use Acronis True Image instead of Symantec's Ghost, but in your case, you might want to buy a Symantec software bundle that includes Ghost and Partition Magic, so after you clone the drive to the new one, you can re-size the two 15GB partitions to be two 30GB partitions (or whatever you want them to be now). If you already have an external hard drive, you could make images (with Ghost or True Image) of the two partitions and save them to the external drive (assuming you have 30GB laying around), then swap in the new drive, boot from the recovery disk you made in Ghost or True Image, and install each partition on the new drive. Andrew -- ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <---- *******************************************************...

Best way to backup laptop hard drive? (drive imaging utilities)
This is the first time I have owned a laptop. It took me dozens of hours to setup Windows XP, install my applications and customize my environment. I backup my data files often, but this doesnt help me if my laptop is lost or stolen or my hard drive fails. I will have to start from scratch to reinstall and tweak my setup on a new machine. I want to avoid this potential problem as I am currently in school. I am considering using a hard disk imaging type of backup program such as Norton Ghost or Power Quest Drive Image 7.0. In theory this would allow me to restore the configuration I had on my p...

External Hard Drives
Hi, I'm looking for an external hard drive for my laptop, which doesn't have USB 2, anyone have any suggestions about models and where to buy etc? I'm in the UK. Thanks! James wrote: > Hi, > > I'm looking for an external hard drive for my laptop, which doesn't > have USB 2, anyone have any suggestions about models and where to buy > etc? I'm in the UK. > > Thanks! USB2 drives should work just fine with USB 1.1 ports, I move my USB2 drive around from USB1 to USB2 systems without problems. -- Nik Simpson In ar...

external hard drive
I'm looking for recommendations for 250GB external hard drives. The main use is offline storage for the video files that are currently filling up my editting system. Not sure that I care whether or not the drives are USB or Firewire. My main concern is reliability. I read about some folks having problems with drives that die on them. I guess I'll have to copy everything to two drives. Recommendations ? ...

Laptop Hard drive...
I have a Gateway laptop and the power button broke on it. What is the best way to get the files from the hard drive so I can put them on another computer or CD? If you need any other information just let me know. Thanks, Sharon On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 16:34:47 -0600, snt2300 <snt2300.322jal@no.email.invalid> wrote: > >I have a Gateway laptop and the power button broke on it. What is the >best way to get the files from the hard drive so I can put them on >another computer or CD? If you need any other information just let me >know. > >Thanks, Sharon > Assuming that you can't operate the laptop at all, I guess you'd first have to remove the laptop's hard drive. Once that is accomplished, it then depends on what hardware you have available. Basically, your choices seem to be: 1. An adapter that allows you to install the laptop drive in a desktop as an IDE drive. They sell for about $5. This isn't the easiest method since it involves opening the desktop machine and installing another drive in it. 2. A USB adapter that connects to the laptop drive. They sell for about $15-20. This allows you to connect the bare drive to the USB connection on another computer. 3. A housing in which you install the laptop drive, thus making it a "portable" external drive. Again, you then simply connect it to another computer. These vary a lot in price, but I've seen them on sale for as little as $20. Or, I guess you could just take the la...

Web resources about - external hard drive with laptop - comp.windows.misc

Externals - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
All of the Externals were originally portrayed as immortal and important, playing an extremely major role in the future and Apocalypse 's rise ...

WPP Hires External Counsel to Conduct Independent Investigation
WPP and its agency JWT have hired external counsel to conduct an independent investigation following a lawsuit filed by the agency's chief communications ...

More on AMD’s XConnect Tech: Thunderbolt 3 for External Radeons
... AMD issued a driver update that brought support for a new technology, XConnect. In a nutshell, XConnect is AMD’s trade name for running external ...

AMD wants to standardize the external GPU
But thanks to Thunderbolt 3, hasn't this been done already? AMD hints that it's working on a new external graphics card solution that promises ...

Xiaomi's new Mi Powerbank Pro is a 10,000 mAh external battery with USB Type-C
... LG's G5 and Xiaomi's Mi 5 unveiled with USB Type-C. But, for consumers, having it on a new smartphone may actually be an issue. An external ...

Meet the sleek external battery your iPhone deserves
... packs, other companies in the market haven't broken stride. There is little question that Apple stands to steal a healthy chunk of external ...

Gamers rejoice! AMD releases Thunderbolt 3 driver for external video cards
AMD has issued a driver update that will allow ultrathin notebooks or 2-in-1 laptops to connect via Thunderbolt 3 to external GPU enclosures ...

EMEA external storage market continues to decline in 4Q15 but all-flash adoption soars, says IDC
The total EMEA external storage systems value fell 7.5% on year to US$2.08 billion in the fourth quarter of 2015, according to IDC's EMEA Quarterly ...

Razer's 'Core' external GPU ships in April for $500
Razer announced pricing and availability for its new Core external graphics box at GDC on Wednesday. The device is available for pre-order starting ...