Home network "specified network name no longer available"

I have a win98SE desktop system and Win2K laptop. I have a Netgear
wireless router and Netgear wireless card in the laptop. I can browse
folders on the desktop. Last week, I created 2 folders on the desktop
hd from the laptop. One folder is accessible. The other says
"specified network name no longer available" when I try to browse it.
I can open the folder from the desktop system. I created a new folder
on the desktop system and can see the files in it. I still can't
access it from the laptop. The folder has about 8 files totalling 150
MB, both smaller than other folders I can open from the laptop. Can
anyone tell me what's going on or, more importantly, how to resolve
this issue? Thank you in advance for your help.
0
dmfisher (1)
11/6/2004 1:25:52 AM
comp.windows.misc 3202 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

Networking Problem, Setting up "Home Networking Wizard" with Windows XP
Networking Problem, Setting up "Home Networking Wizard" with Windows XP Host Machine is XP Home Edition with satellite internet connected to USB, a USB hub is running off of this machine with 3 clients. Client A (laptop) has Windows ME, Client B has 98 SE and C has 98. Client A can see the host, the host can see client A and I have successfully set up internet connection sharing on client A. Clients B and C cannot see the host and the host cannot see them, however they can see each other. The Workgroup for all machines is: MSWORKGROUP, all computer names are different. Ran th...

Networking Problem, Setting up "Home Networking Wizard" with Windows XP
Networking Problem, Setting up "Home Networking Wizard" with Windows XP Host Machine is XP Home Edition with satellite internet connected to USB, a USB hub is running off of this machine with 3 clients. Client A (laptop) has Windows ME, Client B has 98 SE and C has 98. Client A can see the host, the host can see client A and I have successfully set up internet connection sharing on client A. Clients B and C cannot see the host and the host cannot see them, however they can see each other. The Workgroup for all machines is: MSWORKGROUP, all computer names are different. Ran th...

P2P: "network ... no longer available"
Hello: On my rather dated PC--with it's dated NIC--I find that Windows Peer-to-Peer (P2P) network communication *almost* works. Unfortunately, almost is not nearly enough. I have a Home Network with four PCs connected via a D-Link DI-704P router--so they all can share an ADSL modem. Two of the PCs are running WinXP, and two are running Win98SE. WEB browsing and email works great with all four PCs. My current urgent quest (because of a nasty Trojan virus) is to copy my data files from my Older Win98SE machine, "233", to the not quite as old Win98SE machine, "...

Network packets "Sent" only
I have a Lenovo 3000 C100. I'm plugging it into a working router using a good cable. I've tried installing Windows. I've tried the ethernet driver auto- installed by Windows, and the one off Lenovo's website. In Network connections packets are sent but not received. The pins in the ethernet jack look ok. I've also booted off a linux cd and no network connection could be detected via DHCP. I've also tried to set a static IP via Windows with no luck to connect to the router. No packets are ever received. No firewall is running. Any suggestions? Is this a hardware issue? betty wrote in news:1184604491.767462.203400@x35g2000prf.googlegroups.com: > I have a Lenovo 3000 C100. I'm plugging it into a working router > using a good cable. > > I've tried installing Windows. I've tried the ethernet driver auto- > installed by Windows, and the one off Lenovo's website. > > In Network connections packets are sent but not received. The pins in > the ethernet jack look ok. I've also booted off a linux cd and no > network connection could be detected via DHCP. > > I've also tried to set a static IP via Windows with no luck to connect > to the router. No packets are ever received. No firewall is running. > > Any suggestions? Is this a hardware issue? > > Does the ethernet jack on the unit have any status lights? If so then when a cable is plugged into the jack with a wo...

network: "Connection Failed", no "Connect As..."
hello, i have two macs and a windows 2000 server. both macs can see the win box in the Finder's SHARED section. one mac can connect to it, using the saved Administrator credentials. the other mac (new one), cannot -- it just says "Connection Failed" each time i click it. i click "Connect As...", but it never shows me the login prompt. i have rebooted. any ideas whats up? thanks, sm ...

Starting a service from a windows network drive gives me an error "The system cannot find the path specified."
Hi, I have a service in a mapped network folder in Win 2003 server. While I am starting this service I am getting "The system cannot find the path specified" error message. Can't we run a service which is present in a network folder? Kindly let me know if there is any way that I can start the service present in a mapped network folder. Thanks Mappings are user specific - and you don't have any (sane) way of setting them for the SYSTEM session. You could try specifying a UNC path instead, but then you are still likely to run into permissions issues. In g...

Starting a service from a windows network drive gives me an error "The system cannot find the path specified."
Hi, I have a service in a mapped network folder in Win 2003 server. While I am starting this service I am getting "The system cannot find the path specified" error message. Can't we run a service which is present in a network folder? Kindly let me know if there is any way that I can start the service present in a mapped network folder. Thanks Mappings are user specific - and you don't have any (sane) way of setting them for the SYSTEM session. You could try specifying a UNC path instead, but then you are still likely to run into permissions issues. In g...

removing a wireless network from "remembered" networks
Greetings all! I hope this is a quick, and easy question. My Powerbook remembers my work wireless network. Unfortunatly, right now it isn't working. It gets an IP address, and it shows data passing to and from it, but you can't ping anything, nor access anything. I've assigned it a unique IP address (I'm the network admin) but it still don't talk. I'm new to Macs, and this is the only one I've got to experiment with. I simply want to delete the information associated with that one wireless network, without interfering with the saved information for the two ...

"No network provider accepted the given network path"
"No network provider accepted the given network path" My configuration : - 1 PC XP Pro, ip=192.168.2.2 connected using 802.11b - 1 PC WS2003, ip=192.168.2.3 connected using ethernet 100Mb - 1 Belkin F5D7630-4A ADSL router - Latest service packs and updates are installed on both machines Settings : - The DHCP server of the router is on - The Local Domain Name server of the router is set to � Belkin � - On both PCs I have: TCP/IP set to 'Obtain an IP address automatically' and 'Obtain DNS server adress automatically' My problem is: - On the XP Pro PC ...

why "::", not "."

about "++" and "--"

"out" and "in out"

ZA "New Network Alert" Detects Old Network
Windows XP Home (SP1) ZpmeAlarm Pro v 4.5.388.000 I'm not sure there's a relationship, but this firewall behavior started after I tried, and so far haven't accomplished, installing a new HD as the boot drive. I'm temporarily delaying the HD installation so that I can clear up a couple of problems. I've returned the system hardware and system restore back to the condition it was before trying to install the HD. Anyway, every time I boot up, right after ZA starts as it is supposed to, it detects a "New Network" and displays the "New Network Alert". At first, it ran through the wizard, but now, after I asked it to just display the alert instead of the wizard, that's what it does. But the network isn't new. It's the same ISP network, RoadRunner, I've always had. So my question is, How can I get ZA to recognize the old ISP network as not new? Incidentally, I have one other problem. I'm not asking how to solve it here, and I doubt it's related to firewalls. But since this and the firewall prob started around the same time, I'm mentioning it for completeness. The computer shuts itself off after a brief period of inactivity. The monitor gives the No Signal alert box, the case front on/off light goes out, but the HD keeps spinning and the processor fan keeps running. I tried fixing this with the Power settings to no avail. I also tired to set the BIOS ACPI setting to Yes, but that only partially worked. I'll ...

Suddenly unable to acces Wireless Routers, acess points
I am running an IBM THinkpad R40 and never had a problem until I went to a Holiday Inn and could not connect to the internet, and their "expert" came in and made some changes to XP that allowed me to finally connect to their network. I had not tried any wireless connections since then, until last weekend. Now I can't even access my wireless router or wireless access point, which I rarely use. Recently, when I try to access a wireless access point, and all the hardware and drivers have been updated and checked, I get the folloowing error message: "Find Wireless Networks&...

"In" "Out" and "Trash"

web server: "reduced network" or "end user" with zones?
I'm thinking about setting up a little web server (extremely low traffic, no critical content and the machine will be dedicated to this single task). My initial thought was to install the "reduced network" set and add the coolstack. I've done this and it's all working fine. I admin the machine over a tip connection since there is no sshd or much of anything else on the machine, having used the "reduced network" installation option. This seems like a pretty tidy and fairly secure setup. But, I've been reading about zones and it would seem like a vi...

What are "Service Name" and "Target Name" fields?
Colleagues, When I look at the Unix "klist -v" output, I see the "Server:" field e.g. "Server: cvs/svn.sibptus.ru@SIBPTUS.TOMSK.RU", which is the kerberos-enabled server the ticket is for. However, in Microsoft's kerbtray.exe I see the "Service Name" and "Target Name" fields. What is the difference between them? They can be like Service name: DC01-SIBPTUS$@SIBPTUS.TRANSNEFT.RU Target name: ldap/dc01-sibptus.sibptus.transneft.ru@SIBPTUS.TRANSNEFT.RU What are those fields? Thanks a lot for any input. -- Victor Sudako...

"Network error -- Error: Incomplete Setup ... Check your network setup."
Hello! Why do I get "Network error -- Error: Incomplete Setup ... Check your network setup." in Palm Tungsten C (Palm OS 5)? This is when using wireless connection (hotspots and open APs) with programs like Web Pro, AvantGo, etc. It was working fine a few days ago. I checked the settings and they appeared to be fine. Am I missing something? Thank you in advance. -- "An Ant-Man has very low horizons." --Forrest Gump /\___/\ / /\ /\ \ Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx | |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net \ _ / Please remove ANT if replying by e-mail. ( ) ...

Can I put a process in a "network jail", like the "chroot jail"
I am working on something where I would have processes that handle user contributed data, in a way where I feel that I have to restrict them as much as possible. I wand them to read stdin, and produce stdout and stderr only. I do not want them to access the file system, which is done easily with a chroot jail. This is easy. I also do not want those processes to do connect() and use any networking. And here's where I am lost. Is there some way to drop a process privilege to use networking? thanks i Ignoramus29044 wrote: > I am working on something where I would have processes tha...

Error Msg: "SURegCreateKey failed!" with title as "\Enum\Network\\0000"
hi We are MUX IM sample where miniport edge is visible(physical instance should get created) where one can assign ip address and all other information.. and we have our own protocol implemented in that.. We are allowing the tcp/ip binding to real adapter in notify object... We have done all development and testing on win2000 successfully , now our client platform is win98. In driver code we have taken care for win98 specific issues. But when we try to use binary on win98 we are error message box as, "SURegCreateKey failed!" with title as "\Enum\Network\\...

Read form "name" attribute when it contains form field with name "name"
Hello, I have bumped upon this problem: I do some client-side form processing with JavaScript, and for this I loop over all the forms in the document. In order to identify them, I read their "name" property (which sources from "name" HTML attribue). The problem is, that if the form contains form control named "name", it overwrites the form name property. In fact, I'm quite surprised that it's so easy to spoil any of the form object properties - the form just needs to contain a field named, say, "onsubmit", and - voila - it's done! Also, if t...

Wait event "SQL*Net more data to client" in wait class "Network"
Hi, Starting last week my application got problem "SQL*Net more data to client" 1 connection on 10 hang for about 10 secondes. I'd check the network, and everything is ok, and the problem is randomly yesterday afternoon, everything go fine, this morning it hang a lot My env : Oracle 10.2.0.3 std 64bit Win 2003 ent 64bit VB 6 app design "Just-in-time" connection connect via microsoft ODBC I have 4 websites connecting on the same instance, with no problem and same design ... The only difference between website and the vb6 app is the network segment website and Db are on the same network segment (DMZ) and the app is in the Intranet (Inside interface) I'll monitor my FW to see if something wrong ... but change nothing on this recently If someone have seen this, maybe have a solution ... Thank you Chris (sorry if my english is poor) On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 10:30:01 -0800 (PST), chris <cboivin@jlr.ca> wrote: >Hi, > >Starting last week my application got problem "SQL*Net more data to >client" >1 connection on 10 hang for about 10 secondes. > >I'd check the network, and everything is ok, and the problem is >randomly >yesterday afternoon, everything go fine, this morning it hang a lot > >My env : >Oracle 10.2.0.3 std 64bit >Win 2003 ent 64bit >VB 6 app design "Just-in-time" connection >connect via microsoft ODBC > >I have 4 websites connecting on the same instance, with n...

problem configuring network ("host" works, "ping" doesn't)
Hi, I just downloaded and installed my very first OpenSolaris... and have problems with the very basic things like configuring network. Overall, connectivity works, I can ping remote hosts using IP addresses. Trying to ping using hostname (i.e. ping opensolaris.org) doesn't work - ping says that the host is unknown. On the other hand, "host opensolaris.org" returns a correct IP address - which proves that DNS is set OK in /etc/resolv.conf. What did I miss? I noticed I had to correct /etc/nsswitch.conf (to use dns for hosts), but other than that, I've no idea what I'm...

Web resources about - Home network "specified network name no longer available" - comp.windows.misc