How can I tell if my PC has USB or the new USB 2.0?

I have been trying to figure this out for a while, and do not know how!!
0
klhurst3 (1)
12/14/2003 10:26:08 PM
comp.windows.misc 3202 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

klhurst3@aol.com (Klhurst3) wrote in news:20031214172608.26022.00000901@mb-
m06.aol.com:

> I have been trying to figure this out for a while, and do not know how!!

See
http://www.everythingusb.com/usb2/faq.htm

New Printer with USB 2.0 - Old PC with USB 1.1 Ports
I am FINALLY getting around to getting a new printer - but I have a 4 year old laptop that has two USB 1.1 ports. Will a new printer with a USB 2.0 connection work with my laptop? I heard it will - but will be slower than designed to be. I am planning on getting another HP OfficeJet (my old one lasted 7 years!!!!). Also, can I use a regular USB 1.1 cable? Is there a difference between USB cables (2.0 different than 1.1?). Thanks! Paula On 31 Jul 2006 17:25:13 -0700, pokee@shaw.ca wrote: >I am FINALLY getting around to getting a new printer - but I have a 4 >year o...

Something like FT245BM for USB 2.0 ? Parallel -> USB with real USB 2.0 bandwidth ?
Hello, is there a chip, in functionality like a FT245BM for USB 2.0 ? I found on websites mentioning the FT245BM compatible for USB 2.0, but i think they don't use USB 2.0, because transfer rate is "only" 1 MByte/s, which looks like high speed USB. Is there a faster parallel USB chip, which achieves more than 1 MByte / s ? I think with USB 2.0 there must be at least a factor of 10 to this speed ? Regards, Martin "Martin Maurer" <capiman@clibb.de> wrote in news:c26q04$kkf$04$1@news.t-online.com: > Hello, > > is there a chip, in functional...

how can you tell if you have usb 1.1 or usb 2
How can you tell from windows 2000 if you have a usb1.1 or usb2.0 connector? "Laura" <handl@mts.net> wrote in message news:e0ddcf8.0407291201.1dc73116@posting.google.com... > > How can you tell from windows 2000 if you have a > usb1.1 or usb2.0 connector? Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager. Then right click on the USB hub(s) and click Properties. Another way is to plug in a known USB 2.0 device into the port. The system will pop a warning if the port is USB 1.1. dk "Laura" > How can you tell from windows 2000 if you have a usb1.1 or usb2.0 connector? plug something into it that runs on USB 2.0. You'll get an error message. Pat Laura wrote: > How can you tell from windows 2000 if you have a usb1.1 or usb2.0 > connector? Connectors for USB are the same for USB 1.1 or 2. Win2K does not support USB2 unless an MS patch is applied http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319973 The link will answer your question. Even with the patch, it is up to the vendor to supply a Win2K compatible driver for USB2. Check that the USB device is in fact compatible. Q ...

2 Port USB 2.0 CardBus PC Card (PCMCIA) not recognized by Windows Explorer
Hi, I read a message about PC Cards/PCMCIA in archives -- that posting was related to power source. (The 'no-name' PC Card I purchased came with a cord, but to a PS2 mouse port -- which neither of these notebooks has... therefore, not useful...) I bought a PCMCIA 2 Port USB 2.0 (evidently NEC) -- I have tried it in both a Toshiba Satellite 2400 & a Dell Inspiron 8600. Looks like installed ok as USB ports (device manager) -- but when I test the USB port out by inserting a thumb drive, the thumb drive does not show up in Windows Explorer (but the thumb drive does show up if I insert in the USB drives on the notebook themselves.) I'm helping a friend upgrade her Toshiba so that she can use a Maxtor external drive. Ideas appreciated. dzinn dzinn <dzinndzinn2002@yahoo.com> wrote: : Hi, : I read a message about PC Cards/PCMCIA in archives -- that posting was : related to power source. (The 'no-name' PC Card I purchased came with : a cord, but to a PS2 mouse port -- which neither of these notebooks : has... therefore, not useful...) : I bought a PCMCIA 2 Port USB 2.0 (evidently NEC) -- I have tried it in : both a Toshiba Satellite 2400 & a Dell Inspiron 8600. Looks like : installed ok as USB ports (device manager) -- but when I test the USB : port out by inserting a thumb drive, the thumb drive does not show up : in Windows Explorer (but the thumb drive does show up if I insert in : the USB drives on the notebook themselves.) : I'm ...

USB 2.0 vs USB 3.0
Recently; i found myself over at Best Buy and Found a Toshiba Hard Drive,= =20 1 Tb for $99 and i thought; 'That is too good to be true.' and also; Toshiba ??? Would they betray me ? So i bought it. And i did get it to work a little bit, which would suggest that the USB 3.0= cable that came with it, Would work with my MacBook and its USB 2.0 Vulvas= ,=20 but it didn't work very well. The Plug was 'Wiggly' And the Cable that came= with it was like 4 inches long, and it is Very Difficult to find an Extens= ion Cable for this sort of thing. i wanted to just drop by a store and get = one, but i had to buy one on the Interweb, from Amazon, and the Shortest th= ey had was for 276 Feet.=20 Or so. Also; This Wiggliness that i spoke of, The HardDrive wouldn't 'Connect' Pro= perly, and by this, i mean that the little light on the Hard Drive would no= t come on, Unless i pressed down ( Gently ) on the USB 3.0 Plug.=20 All i wanted was a slightly longer cable. So the Plug for it was Wiggly Too! And the Hard Drive did not work well,=20 i wanted to Partition it, because i had heard or read that i had to partiti= on it to get it to load The Start Up Disk and Then Re-Boot my MacBook from = it, Which i now suspect, may not be correct ( ? ) But anyways; While trying to Partition the Hard Drive, it somehow Broke. i seemed to have done it once, then when i decided to eliminate one of the = Partitioned Zones, it Slowed Way,...

can I enhance usb capabilities of my laptop thru a port replicator with usb-2.0?
Hi I have a hp business laptop, with just 2 usb-1.0 ports. If I buy a compatible port replicator with usb-2.0 that connects to the docking connector in the bottom, will it help me to get the usb 2.0 support? I have a USB2.0 pcmcia adapter, but I have found that it sometimes make my laptop unstable. My basic reason is to connect my portable hard disk to usb-2.0 ports. TYIA, Sree Sreekumar <sreekumar@postmark.net> wrote: : Hi : I have a hp business laptop, with just 2 usb-1.0 ports. If I buy a : compatible port replicator with usb-2.0 that connects to the docking : connector in the bottom, will it help me to get the usb 2.0 support? : I have a USB2.0 pcmcia adapter, but I have found that it sometimes : make my laptop unstable. My basic reason is to connect my portable : hard disk to usb-2.0 ports. What operating system are you using? You need USB 2.0 drivers as wellas the hardware. Are you sure you have the correct drivers installed for the new USB card? If you have Windows XP, it's probably already done. On something older like Windows 98, could be more difficult. Andrew -- ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <---- ******************************************************************* ----> http://www.bizave.com <---- Photo Albums and Portland Info ----> To Email me remove "MYSHOES" from email address ******************************************************************* No, a USB hub won't change USB 1.0 into 2.0, if connected to a US...

USB 3.0 Hub treatment of USB 2.0 connections.
My old USB 2.0 hub (7 port with external power) had been getting increasingly flaky over time with various devices dropping out and re-connecting (printer, keyboard wireless receiver and so on) so I bought a new one. An Anker 7 port USB 3.0 with ext. p/s. I had no USB 3.0 peripherals when I first hooked it up. When looking at system profiler there were no USB 3.0 devices - not even the hub - showing. Fastest interface was shown as 480 Mb/s. Today I received a couple USB 3.0 docks and after initially hooking them straight to the Mac, I tried, as an experiment, passing the USB 3.0 through the hub. Did not connect. So I powered off the hub and disconnected it from the Mac, then reconnected it all. The disk appeared. And the Highspeed USB 3.0 appeared in profile (at 5 Gb/s). So once it's running with USB 2.0 devices only connected, the hub doesn't take to new 3.0 devices showing up. Once they're there, it's fine. Copy rate via the hub from the disk on the 3.0 was the same as a direct connection. (I've since put the USB 3.0 disk directly to the computer). I had assumed that USB 2.0 traffic would be "wrapped" in USB 3.0 and passed to the computer and unwrapped. But it appears it remains electrically and logically USB 2.0. (Then I found this: http://via-labs.com/en/images/products/vl812/vl812-blkdiagram.jpg implying that USB 2.0 and 3.0 follow different hardware paths (not clear if those ...

How to tell USB 1 or USB 2?
How can I tell if the USB ports on my G4 are USB 1 or 2? Thanks, Anthony In article <f0a79190.0402251052.2265babc@posting.google.com>, anthony <ajc1961@yahoo.com> wrote: > How can I tell if the USB ports on my G4 are USB 1 or 2? Run the System Profiler application. Click USB, then USB Bus. If it saya "Up to 12 Mb/sec," you have USB 1.1. If it's something higher than that, it's USB 2. (As I don't have USB 2, I'm not positive of the USB 2 speed figure, but I believe it's 480Mbps.) -- Garner R. Miller Manchester, CT =USA= ...

Can not boot once USB 2.0 external hard drive installed on Windows XP
Hi all, I installed an external Western Digital in an external USB 2.0 case to my Compaq computer yesterday. The hard drive (once formatted) works fine once I plug it into the system and I can use it as an extra drive which is great. However if I "REBOOT" the Windows XP machine, it hangs after memory test and will not continue to boot. If I unplug or poweroff the external USB 2.0 hard drive, booting continues fine. The guy below had exactly the same problem as me back in 2002 but I did not see any replies. Any ideas ? Thank you, Rudy ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~...

old USB cables how 2 tell from 2.0?
Well I have an assortment of older USB (1.0 & 1.1) cables probably came with older USB devices. I finally got some newer USB 2.0 devices. I got newer 5th gen iPod (only syncs with USB 2.0) I did install a PCI USB 2.0 card in an older G4 & G4 iMac does have USB 2.0. Are USB 2.0 cables special (are older ones NOT useable on 2.0 devices?) How do I tell the difference? Is there any easy way? I have some I am not sure about their vintage. Thanks for comments. Morenuf -- morenuf@nobodyhome.com.invalid ...

USB HDD 20GB USB 2.0
Please can anyone tell me if this is OK? I really need some feedback, as I've got major storage problems!!! Ta http://www.ok2bid.com/cgi-bin/auction.pl?item=471073511735 ...

USB 2.0 problem: Could USB stick have been the cause?
I recently had my T41's (2373-3kg) mother board replaced (on warranty) because of the problem described on the following page: http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_USB_2.0 In short: My USB 2.0 ports stopped working properly under LINUX and under Windows. Now, I wonder whether the cause of the problem could be the following unorthodox USB memory stick. It was the last new USB device that I bought before the problem started to occur. http://www.ocztechnology.com/images/products/accessories/b/Mini_Kart2.jpg Any idea? Also, could the new mother board die in the same way that t...

can LabView talk to USB devices by PC USB?
We have USB hardware that connects to the PC via the USB port which I would control by LV. Does a pll is exiting for this type of application? I am far from being quaified to answer this, but I can tell you this much. Due to the low level nature of USB, LabVIEW has no way of talking to a generic USB device. If the devices is one of the standard classes (Human Interface Device for example), then there are Win32 functions you can call - although I have no clue where these are located. If not, you almost always need drivers for the device which provide custom DLLs. If you do not have this th...

Connector to USB 2.0 Cable USB Power Adapter Polishing cloth Works with Many GSM carriers including: AT&T #2
(paypal payment)(www.goodsaler.com ) Brand NEW 16GB iPhones (Unlocked) with Newest Firmware Version 1.1.4. Stereo Headset with mic Dock Dock Connector to USB 2.0 Cable USB Power Adapter Polishing cloth Works with Many GSM carriers including: AT&T GSM Cingular GSM T-Mobile Rogers Wireles Fido Vodaphone Orange O2 any other GSM carriers Worldwide Comes new in original box and all accessories. (paypal payment)(www.goodsaler.com ) spam ...

What specification usb is in sgi 320 usb 1 or usb 2
looking at device connection using usb iceclown wrote: > looking at device connection using usb The SGI320 is too old for USB2. It has USB1 ports, which are not fully compatible with all USB devices... Better get an USB or USB2 PCI card... Benjamin thanks, come to think of it the fact it doesn't mention specification of usb port indicates early version ...

How to interface PC and FPGA through USB 2.0
Hi, I want to write a C++ code that will allow for the communication between a USRP board (a hardware device that is used for making Software Defined Radio. It captures the actual data on which modulation/demodulation in software on the PC has to be performed. The USRP does some processing on raw data such as analog to digital conversion, down-conversion and decimation of data and throws it on a USB 2.0 port)and a PC. All of the high-speed general purpose operations like digital up and down conversion, decimation and interpolation are done on the Altera Cyclone EP1C12 FPGA on the USRP board. ...

laptop usb 1.1 + scanner usb 2.0 + modem ADSL = ?????!!!!!*****
I have a laptop with a single USB 1.1 port. My new scanner (Epson 3170 usb 2.0) works fine with it and so does my ADSL modem but both can't work together. I have tried to make them "cooperate" with a Sitecom Usb pocket hub which needs an external power adapter and of course it doesn't work without it; do you think it would work if I had one? Or is there any other possibility (Pcmcia/usb card for example)? Thank you for your future wise advice. Good chance powered hub will work, but not guaranteed. Is your modem USB only? If ethernet also, as one more option, y...

USB Robotics not recognizing USB 3.0 2.5 hdd (enclosure)
For some strange reason my US Robotics USB 3.0 expresscard adapter is not recognizing my USB 2.5 HDD enclosure with the USB 3.0 adapter. Windows 7 recognizes my USB 3.5 hdd enclosure fine however. The hdd is being recognized by the USB 2.0 port however. ...

Compatibilit� USB 2.0 et USB 1.1 avec W2K ?
Bonjour Je rencontre un PB avec l'une de mes cl�s USB qui est USB 2.0 et qui bug lorsque je la connacte sur un hub USB 1.1 : je la "vois" sur le PC mais je ne peux y transf�rer quoique ce soit, malgr� l'installation des drivers sp�cifiques. Ayant constat� qu'avec XP, chaque fois que l'on connecte un p�riph�rique USB 2.0 sur un port 1.1 XP signale qu'il peux y avoir des porbl�mes, je vous drais savoir si cela existe aussi avec W2K. Merci d'avance Sorry Pegasus Mail is NOT USB 1.x or 2.0 compliant. Dave ;-) <John.Viel@caramail.rem...

USB flash drive speed USB1.1 vs USB 2.0
My laptop's USB ports advertised to be USB 2.0 When I use one of them to transfer a 106 MegaByte folder of many subfolders and files to a Sandisk 256 MB flash drive it takes about fourty minutes 2.7 MegaBytes per Minute. Does this sound right for USB 2.0 or USB 1.1? The new laptop is not executing any other programs and the hard disk light is off. Big education for me. USB 1.1 and 2.0 are standards, not speeds. Each has a high speed and a low speed. To know what your peripheral is going to do you must ignore the 1.1 and 2.0 designations as meaningless. What counts is ...

move ZFS mountpoint from USB 1.1 to USB 2.0 port
I created a mountpoint called /tdusb1 on a USB 1.1 port conncted to a 1TB LaCie hard drive. I discoverd that our system has a USB 2.0 port and want to move the logical mountpoint to a new physical USB port. How do I do it? Actually, I will need to do the same sort of thing from one Solaris 10 system to another in the future. I don't care about plug-and-play and hot swappable as long as I can read the same drive from different Sun systems. I assume that there are ZFS related commands for doing this but don't want to experiment too much as the USB hard drive already has valuable stuff ...

difference usb and usb 2
Hello, I have a pc and a laptop. I know for sure that my laptop has usb2, but I don't really know if my pc has usb2. When I go to 'Device Manager' on my laptop or pc, I see nothing that tells me it's usb2. So I can't really know. Is there a way (a tool or so) to detect if I have usb2 on my pc? I already tried AIDA, but I can't find it. Crock, crocky wrote: > Hello, > > I have a pc and a laptop. > I know for sure that my laptop has usb2, > but I don't really know if my pc has usb2. > > When I go to 'Device Manager' on my laptop or pc, I see nothing that > tells me it's usb2. So I can't really know. > > Is there a way (a tool or so) to detect if I have usb2 on my pc? > I already tried AIDA, but I can't find it. Look for the Enhanced Host Controller Interface (EHCI) USB inside the Device Manager. Those would be your USB 2.0 controller. Yousuf Khan thank you very much. It seemed I had to update my Intel USB drivers to get usb2 working... ...

problem related to backward compatibility of usb 2.0 -> usb 1.1?
Hi, I've recently bought an external harddrive (Q - tec). It's great stuff. The hdd combines lot's of storage space and small dimensions with adequate speed because it runs on usb 2.0. Just plug it in and do whatever you feel like doing. Needless to say, I've grown attached to it. Then bad things started to happen. One night, my PC got fragged (cooked MCU on motherboard). As a result, I was forced to use my dad's computer in order to finish my work for school. It didn't have any usb 2.0 slots, so I had to make due with usb 1.1. I plugged it in, started Wi...

USB 1.1 and 2.0 controllers in same PC?
I have a 3-month-old HP Pavilion a450n desktop computer running Windows XP SP1. I am curious about the USB controllers reported in Device Manager. I see 5 controllers, which appear like this: Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D2 Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D4 Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D7 Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24DE Intel(R) 82801EB USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 24DD Can this be right? Do I really have 4 USB 1.1 controllers and only one USB 2.0 controller? If, as I suspect, this doesn't make sense, is my computer somehow misconfigured? (Also, what do the hex numbers shown in the above list refer to?) Thanks, - Bob ...

Web resources about - How can I tell if my PC has USB or the new USB 2.0? - comp.windows.misc

Netanyahu Offers Condolences: Brussels Part of ‘One Continuous Assault on All of Us’
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu offered his condolences to the people of Brussels in his Tuesday AIPAC speech, saying the deadly series ...

The death of Andy Grove and Silicon Valley
It's not called Silicon Valley for nothing. Andy Grove , the former Intel CEO who died Monday, is credited with turning the semiconductor maker ...

Hulk Hogan awarded extra $25 million in Gawker sex tape trial
AL.com Hulk Hogan awarded extra $25 million in Gawker sex tape trial AL.com Hulk Hogan, whose given name is Terry Bollea walks out of the ...

Oh Right, This Is The Internet: Ukulele Batman Vs. Flaming Bagpipes Superman
Because this is what the internet was made for has become, this is a short video of Batman trying to play his ukulele in the park when he's interrupted ...

Yahoo wants greater game transparency with new daily fantasy sports updates
Yahoo is making some changes to its daily fantasy sports offering in an effort to make contests “more transparent and fun for all users.” Starting ...

Indian Wells CEO Quits After Foolish Comments About Women's Tennis
Raymond Moore, who runs the BNP Paribas Open at Indian Wells, is stepping down from his director position after making completely off-base statements ...

Jodie Sweetin does 'Full House'-inspired number in 'Dancing with the Stars' debut
Everywhere you look, everywhere you look/There's a Full House parody, you'll want to hold onto. Last night, former Full House star (and current ...

‘The Walking Dead’ Spoilers: What Does The Most Recent Death Mean For Glenn, Daryl, and Abraham?
The end of season 6 is near on The Walking Dead and fans are getting excited to see what else is going to happen with Rick and his group of survivors ...

Britons vote to name $287m research ship "Boaty McBoatface"
After asking the public to decide upon a name for a $287m research ship, Britain's Natural Environment Research Council is feeling stupid, because ...

Rocket League is ready for Xbox One, PS4 cross-play, if Sony agrees
Cross-platform play has been something that gamers have been clamoring for since online multiplayer started being a thing. Back in the days of ...