How to get rid of spyware?

Can anyone suggest a good free program to remove spyware from
a PC using Windows 98?

I found Ad-Aware at: http://www.docsdownloads.com/spyware.htm
Would that be about as good as anything else?
0
dh_ld (8)
7/31/2004 5:29:18 PM
comp.windows.misc 3202 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 17:29:18 GMT, dh_ld@nomail.com while sniffing the
trees left this message

>Can anyone suggest a good free program to remove spyware from
>a PC using Windows 98?
>
>I found Ad-Aware at: http://www.docsdownloads.com/spyware.htm
>Would that be about as good as anything else?
Sorry I don't do cross posts.

                             Wolfman
Even a man who is pure at heart
And says his prayers by night
May become a wolf when the wolfsbane blooms
And the autumn moon is bright

When you are running with the pack,
you had better watch where you step!
On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 17:29:18 GMT, dh_ld@nomail.com wrote:

>Can anyone suggest a good free program to remove spyware from
>a PC using Windows 98?
>
>I found Ad-Aware at: http://www.docsdownloads.com/spyware.htm
>Would that be about as good as anything else?
That and Spybot
0
home4069 (9)
7/31/2004 5:49:38 PM
wolfman wrote:

> On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 17:29:18 GMT, dh_ld@nomail.com while sniffing the
> trees left this message
>
> >Can anyone suggest a good free program to remove spyware from
> >a PC using Windows 98?
> >
> >I found Ad-Aware at: http://www.docsdownloads.com/spyware.htm
> >Would that be about as good as anything else?
>
> Sorry I don't do cross posts.

You just did!

Noatn
0
notan (388)
7/31/2004 6:26:25 PM
In message <rvlng0dscr8vcf3a71801ques2d0f17uba@4ax.com> wolfman
<howlingmad@thewholeDAMNEDworld.com> wrote:

>Newsgroups: alt.windows,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.free.newsservers,news.software.readers
>From: wolfman <howlingmad@thewholeDAMNEDworld.com>

<snip>

>Sorry I don't do cross posts.

Nope, you sure don't do cross posts.  Not at all.

--
"Gee, Bill what do you want to do tonight?"
"The same thing we do every night Steve. Try to take over the world!"
dh_ld@nomail.com wrote:

>Can anyone suggest a good free program to remove spyware from
>a PC using Windows 98?
>
>I found Ad-Aware at: http://www.docsdownloads.com/spyware.htm
>Would that be about as good as anything else?

This article was in our paper Thursday and has a number of
suggestions. No one program will remove everything.
http://www.baltimoresun.com/technology/custom/pluggedin/bal-pl.himowitz29jul29,1,963922.column?coll=bal-pe-pluggedin
On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 17:29:18 GMT, dh_ld@nomail.com wrote:

>Can anyone suggest a good free program to remove spyware from
>a PC using Windows 98?
>
>I found Ad-Aware at: http://www.docsdownloads.com/spyware.htm
>Would that be about as good as anything else?

  As posted by Avenger in alt.comp.virus:

<quote>

Download, then update (after install) and use *all* of the following:

Spybot Search & Destroy
http://spybot.eon.net.au/
http://www.safer-networking.org/
http://spybot.safer-networking.de/
SpyBot S&D guide

Ad-Aware
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
http://www.lavasoft.nu/

Spyware Blaster

CWShredder (CoolWebSearch remover)

and possibly:

Stinger Virus Removal Tool
http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

--
Avenger�

</quote>

HTH
Geo
0
Me8734 (184)
7/31/2004 10:37:03 PM
On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 10:34:06 -0700, wolfman
<howlingmad@thewholeDAMNEDworld.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 17:29:18 GMT, dh_ld@nomail.com while sniffing the
>trees left this message
>
>>Can anyone suggest a good free program to remove spyware from
>>a PC using Windows 98?
>>
>>I found Ad-Aware at: http://www.docsdownloads.com/spyware.htm
>>Would that be about as good as anything else?
>Sorry I don't do cross posts.

Dick Head
In article <m69og0tl6o7flo4bnmb571buloe6dj6k5b@server.local.line>
wolfman <howlingmad@thewholeDAMNEDworld.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 10:34:06 -0700, wolfman
> <howlingmad@thewholeDAMNEDworld.com> wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 17:29:18 GMT, dh_ld@nomail.com while
sniffing the
> >trees left this message
> >
> >>Can anyone suggest a good free program to remove spyware from
> >>a PC using Windows 98?
> >>
> >>I found Ad-Aware at: http://www.docsdownloads.com/spyware.htm
> >>Would that be about as good as anything else?
> >Sorry I don't do cross posts.
>
> Dick Head

The only way he knows to get rid of spyware is format c:/

--
Questo messaggio e' stato inoltrato automaticamente
da un paio di anonymous remailer. Il mittente originale

0
emperor (2)
8/1/2004 9:29:22 AM
WWW.SECURITYTANGO.COM

Go through all the steps in order....Works like a charm.

<dh_ld@nomail.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone suggest a good free program to remove spyware from
> a PC using Windows 98?
>
> I found Ad-Aware at: http://www.docsdownloads.com/spyware.htm
> Would that be about as good as anything else?

I've learned that the more I install on my sytem the more problems I
have. So is all that really a good idea?

Darren Harris
Staten ISland, New York.

"GEO" Me@home.here wrote in message news:<410c1dbc.32571953@news.ucalgary.ca>...
> On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 17:29:18 GMT, dh_ld@nomail.com wrote:
>
> >Can anyone suggest a good free program to remove spyware from
> >a PC using Windows 98?
> >
> >I found Ad-Aware at: http://www.docsdownloads.com/spyware.htm
> >Would that be about as good as anything else?
>
>   As posted by Avenger in alt.comp.virus:
>
> <quote>
>
> Download, then update (after install) and use *all* of the following:
>
> Spybot Search & Destroy
> http://spybot.eon.net.au/
> http://www.safer-networking.org/
> http://spybot.safer-networking.de/
> SpyBot S&D guide
> http://www.chem.wisc.edu/~network/spybot/
>
> Ad-Aware
> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
> http://www.lavasoft.nu/
>
> Spyware Blaster
> http://www.net-integration.net/tools/spywareblaster.html
>
> CWShredder (CoolWebSearch remover)
> http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/cwschronicles.html
> http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/files/cwshredder.zip
>
> and possibly:
>
> Stinger Virus Removal Tool
> http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
>
> --
> Avenger�
>
> </quote>

> HTH
> Geo
0
Searcher7 (64)
8/1/2004 4:04:51 PM
["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.ms-windows.misc.]
On 2004-07-31, wolfman <howlingmad@thewholeDAMNEDworld.com> wrote:

> Sorry I don't do cross posts.

Better cross-posts than multi-posts.  At least with a cross-posted message
you only have to read it once.

--

-John (john@os2.dhs.org)
0
On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 17:29:18 UTC, dh_ld@nomail.com wrote:

> Can anyone suggest a good free program to remove spyware from
> a PC using Windows 98?

 Linux.

d0okhe45 (11)
8/1/2004 4:22:49 PM
> I've learned that the more I install on my sytem the more problems I
> have. So is all that really a good idea?

Spybot and Adaware are almost interchangeable, so perhaps you could omit
one of them :-}

cwshredder is a standalone executable - no need in install (~159k IIRC),
spywareblaster will stop IE from getting patched...

Yes, all in all, they`re all wholeheartedly recommended !

I`ve got some tips on setting up Spybot S&D here:

www.phoenixbbs.co.uk

void9869 (21)
8/1/2004 4:25:32 PM
Check with your ISP - AT&T provides it's subscribers with "spy-sweeper"
free (http://www.webroot.com).

John

dh_ld@nomail.com wrote:

> Can anyone suggest a good free program to remove spyware from
> a PC using Windows 98?
>
> I found Ad-Aware at: http://www.docsdownloads.com/spyware.htm
> Would that be about as good as anything else?
0
kopfj1 (6)
8/1/2004 6:40:44 PM
On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 10:34:06 -0700, wolfman <howlingmad@thewholeDAMNEDworld.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 17:29:18 GMT, dh_ld@nomail.com while sniffing the
>trees left this message
>
>>Can anyone suggest a good free program to remove spyware from
>>a PC using Windows 98?
>>
>>I found Ad-Aware at: http://www.docsdownloads.com/spyware.htm
>>Would that be about as good as anything else?
>Sorry I don't do cross posts.

Yes you do. If you did not however, why wouldn't you?

BTW, if you're going to answer me and expect me to see your
answer, how would you know which group to post to, since I
sure don't go and retrieve all the new headers from all of the
groups individually?

0
dh_ld (8)
8/2/2004 1:15:13 AM
On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 01:15:13 GMT, dh_ld@nomail.com while sniffing the
trees left this message

>On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 10:34:06 -0700, wolfman <howlingmad@thewholeDAMNEDworld.com> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 17:29:18 GMT, dh_ld@nomail.com while sniffing the
>>trees left this message
>>
>>>Can anyone suggest a good free program to remove spyware from
>>>a PC using Windows 98?
>>>
>>>I found Ad-Aware at: http://www.docsdownloads.com/spyware.htm
>>>Would that be about as good as anything else?
>>Sorry I don't do cross posts.
>
>Yes you do. If you did not however, why wouldn't you?
>
>BTW, if you're going to answer me and expect me to see your
>answer, how would you know which group to post to, since I
>sure don't go and retrieve all the new headers from all of the
>groups individually?
Original reply should have said "I don't help cross posters." OK

In message <r97rg0545v47ec1g3s9k5oo430hlq17v6s@4ax.com> wolfman
<howlingmad@thewholeDAMNEDworld.com> wrote:

>Original reply should have said "I don't help cross posters." OK

Then why the fuck open your mouth?

--
Getting married for sex is like buying a 747 for the free peanuts
 -- Jeff Foxworthy

>In message <r97rg0545v47ec1g3s9k5oo430hlq17v6s@4ax.com> wolfman
><howlingmad@thewholeDAMNEDworld.com> wrote:
>
>>Original reply should have said "I don't help cross posters." OK
>
>Then why the fuck open your mouth?

Summer on usenet, sigh.

Just think, soon it will be Thanksgiving break. Then Christmas break.
Then spring break and before you know, here they are again, summer on
usenet.

'Ratz

--

Beer soup! A few brain cells registered their doubt,
but the rest of them grabbed them by the collar and

Terry Pratchett - The Last Continent

0
a6ahlyv02 (663)
8/2/2004 2:19:30 AM
On 2004-08-01, Ann Knight <d0okhe45@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 17:29:18 UTC, dh_ld@nomail.com wrote:
>
>> Can anyone suggest a good free program to remove spyware from
>> a PC using Windows 98?

>  Linux.

Not OS/2?

:-)

--

-John (john@os2.dhs.org)
0

Here in news.software.readers,
John Thompson <john@starfleet.os2.dhs.org> spake unto us, saying:

>On 2004-08-01, Ann Knight <d0okhe45@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 17:29:18 UTC, dh_ld@nomail.com wrote:
>>
>>> Can anyone suggest a good free program to remove spyware from
>>> a PC using Windows 98?
>
>>  Linux.
>
>Not OS/2?

While it's still a very good solution for some folks, its price is now
somewhat prohibitive (relatively speaking).  I wish IBM would pull its
head out from where it seems to be residing...

--
 -Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Eden Prairie, MN
     Applications analyst/designer/developer (14 yrs) seeking employment.

dh_ld@nomail.com wrote:
> Can anyone suggest a good free program to remove spyware from
> a PC using Windows 98?
>
> I found Ad-Aware at: http://www.docsdownloads.com/spyware.htm
> Would that be about as good as anything else?

http://www.webroot.com/wb/products/spysweeper/index.php?rc=996
free for 30 days and will remove. For $30 a year you can't go wrong and
you can set it to remove at a specific time.

0
crap9921 (5)
8/2/2004 11:54:42 AM
On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 03:59:51 UTC, John Thompson
<john@starfleet.os2.dhs.org> wrote:

-> ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.ms-windows.misc.]
-> On 2004-08-01, Ann Knight <d0okhe45@yahoo.com> wrote:
-> > On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 17:29:18 UTC, dh_ld@nomail.com wrote:
-> >
-> >> Can anyone suggest a good free program to remove spyware from
-> >> a PC using Windows 98?
->
-> >  Linux.
->
-> Not OS/2?
->
-> > User-Agent: ProNews/2 V1.53.cp050
->
-> :-)
->

Shhhh.  We certainly don't want the unwashed masses using our superior
operating system.  ;-)

Mark

--
From the eComStation of Mark Dodel

 http://www.os2voice.org
Warpstock 2004, Denver, Colorado; October 21-24th -
http://www.warpstock.org
0
Mark
8/2/2004 12:31:34 PM
dh_ld@nomail.com wrote:

> Can anyone suggest a good free program to remove spyware from
> a PC using Windows 98?
>
> I found Ad-Aware at: http://www.docsdownloads.com/spyware.htm
> Would that be about as good as anything else?
Besides AdAware and SpyBot you could try  "Spyware Blaster" and "Bazooka
Spyware Scanner"
Do a search on Google for the last two.

0
Looker007 (1)
8/2/2004 1:58:57 PM
On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 03:59:51 UTC, John Thompson
<john@starfleet.os2.dhs.org> wrote:

> ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.ms-windows.misc.]
> On 2004-08-01, Ann Knight <d0okhe45@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 17:29:18 UTC, dh_ld@nomail.com wrote:
> >
> >> Can anyone suggest a good free program to remove spyware from
> >> a PC using Windows 98?
>
> >  Linux.
>
> Not OS/2?

> :-)

 Yeah, I know. 99.9% of people I mention OS/2 to don't know what I'm
talking about. Linux seems to get all the press.

Ann
8/2/2004 3:47:44 PM
On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 18:48:22 -0700, wolfman <howlingmad@thewholeDAMNEDworld.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 01:15:13 GMT, dh_ld@nomail.com while sniffing the
>trees left this message
>
>>On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 10:34:06 -0700, wolfman <howlingmad@thewholeDAMNEDworld.com> wrote:
>>
>>>On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 17:29:18 GMT, dh_ld@nomail.com while sniffing the
>>>trees left this message

>>>Sorry I don't do cross posts.
>>
>>Yes you do. If you did not however, why wouldn't you?
>>
>>BTW, if you're going to answer me and expect me to see your
>>answer, how would you know which group to post to, since I
>>sure don't go and retrieve all the new headers from all of the
>>groups individually?
>Original reply should have said "I don't help cross posters."

    Or anyone else by the looks of it.

>OK

    It has to be. Of course it could leave a person wondering why
you wouldn't help crossposters, and the first reason which comes
to mind is that you wouldn't want to post anything that might help
more people. Or it could also be that you just look for things to
bitch about.

>                             Wolfman
>Even a man who is pure at heart
>And says his prayers by night
>May become a wolf when the wolfsbane blooms
>And the autumn moon is bright
>
>When you are running with the pack,
>you had better watch where you step!

0
dh_ld (8)
8/2/2004 4:52:43 PM
On a daily basis and is not too often? Wow, people who use intel/AMD/etc
computers with other OSes than Windows don't have to waste such resources
and time in their daily routine to ensure his/her computer is free from
spyware/virus/keystroke loggers/etc. Looks like, Windows users (including
me) have wasted so much of their time just to make sure their computers are
safe and free from those pesky virus/spyware/etc. I guessed the efforts well
worth!! :)

"Lurker" <Lurker@not.now> wrote in message
> WWW.SECURITYTANGO.COM
>
> Go through all the steps in order....Works like a charm.
>
> <dh_ld@nomail.com> wrote in message
> > Can anyone suggest a good free program to remove spyware from
> > a PC using Windows 98?
> >
> > I found Ad-Aware at: http://www.docsdownloads.com/spyware.htm
> > Would that be about as good as anything else?

0
SpamMe
8/6/2004 1:33:16 PM
dh_ld@nomail.com wrote in news:l8lng0htpirivmd8tg6tq4bbh12kmq851v@
4ax.com:

> Can anyone suggest a good free program to remove spyware from
> a PC using Windows 98?
>
> I found Ad-Aware at: http://www.docsdownloads.com/spyware.htm
> Would that be about as good as anything else?

I use a combination of

Insuring that all Microsoft critical updates are up-to-date

SpywareBlaster which does some prevention ahead of being infected

SpyBot S&D which searches out and allows deletions of spyware
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/

Adaware 6.181 which also searches out and allows deletions of spyware.
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

HiJack This checks for malware which generally hijacks your browsers and
does other malicious things.
http://downloads.subratam.org/hijackthis.zip

Plus a professional purchased version of Norton Antivirus.

I use them all about once a week in the order given. Make sure that you
check for updates on each of them before executing.

An aside to those who use other OSes and belittle us Microsoft users.
Don't get smug. The only reason that you are not plagued by viruses,
spyware etc, is that people who write these things aim for the big
target. *All* OSes have potential holes in them and can and will be
exploited at some time or another. We run a mixture of MACs, Linux, SCO
Unix, PCs with XP, Windows 2003 and Novell Networks plus hardware and
software firewalls. On a recent third-party security checkup of our
installations, *All* of these showed serious holes which could be used
to punch holes in our security setup. So far, even with the holes, we
have spotted and prevented attacks against our PCs, of course, but also
against our Linux machines and firewalls.

David Wright
0
dwrightsr (16)
8/6/2004 2:04:35 PM
Any OSes other than Windows (and perhaps including OS/2) is certainly more
secure to fight against any spyware, YMMV.

"Ann Knight" <d0okhe45@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 17:29:18 UTC, dh_ld@nomail.com wrote:
>
> > Can anyone suggest a good free program to remove spyware from
> > a PC using Windows 98?
>
>  Linux.
>
> --

0
SpamMe
8/6/2004 3:14:49 PM
To consumate?

"DevilsPGD" <UseTheReplyToField@crazyhat.net> wrote in message
> In message <r97rg0545v47ec1g3s9k5oo430hlq17v6s@4ax.com> wolfman
> <howlingmad@thewholeDAMNEDworld.com> wrote:
>
> >Original reply should have said "I don't help cross posters." OK
>
> Then why the fuck open your mouth?
>

> --
> Getting married for sex is like buying a 747 for the free peanuts
>  -- Jeff Foxworthy

0
SpamMe
8/6/2004 3:19:56 PM
I have tried Ad Aware, but prefer Spybot Search and Destroy

<dh_ld@nomail.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone suggest a good free program to remove spyware from
> a PC using Windows 98?
>
> I found Ad-Aware at: http://www.docsdownloads.com/spyware.htm
> Would that be about as good as anything else?

0
seannmc (8)
8/10/2004 1:34:11 AM
I used to do cross posts, but since have learned not to flame.

> In message <rvlng0dscr8vcf3a71801ques2d0f17uba@4ax.com> wolfman
> <howlingmad@thewholeDAMNEDworld.com> wrote:
>
> >Newsgroups:
alt.windows,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.free.newsservers,n
ews.software.readers
> >From: wolfman <howlingmad@thewholeDAMNEDworld.com>
>
> <snip>
>
> >Sorry I don't do cross posts.
>
> Nope, you sure don't do cross posts.  Not at all.
>
> --
> "Gee, Bill what do you want to do tonight?"
> "The same thing we do every night Steve. Try to take over the world!"

0
seannmc (8)
8/10/2004 1:34:43 AM
"Seann" <seannmc@diginow.net> top posted:

> I used to do cross posts, but since have learned not to flame.
>
> "DevilsPGD" <UseTheReplyToField@crazyhat.net> wrote...

<SNIP>

You haven't learned not to top post, moron.

--
Martin S.
0
double secret probation because:

>I used to do cross posts, but since have learned not to flame.

That was last week and you did not learn very much since there are
five newsfroups in the newsfroup line.

This week you learn how not to top post.

'Ratz

>"DevilsPGD" <UseTheReplyToField@crazyhat.net> wrote in message
>> In message <rvlng0dscr8vcf3a71801ques2d0f17uba@4ax.com> wolfman
>> <howlingmad@thewholeDAMNEDworld.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Newsgroups:
>alt.windows,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.free.newsservers,n
>ews.software.readers
>> >From: wolfman <howlingmad@thewholeDAMNEDworld.com>
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> >Sorry I don't do cross posts.
>>
>> Nope, you sure don't do cross posts.  Not at all.
>>
>> --
>> "Gee, Bill what do you want to do tonight?"
>> "The same thing we do every night Steve. Try to take over the world!"

0
a6ahlyv02 (663)
8/10/2004 2:17:06 AM
Ahhh I forgot. Windows afficionados don't have a sense of humor.  (Something
in their contract with Bill G.)

"MartinS" <me@my.place> wrote in message
> "Seann" <seannmc@diginow.net> top posted:
>
> > I used to do cross posts, but since have learned not to flame.
> >
> > "DevilsPGD" <UseTheReplyToField@crazyhat.net> wrote...
>
> <SNIP>
>
> You haven't learned not to top post, moron.
>
> --
> Martin S.

0
seannmc (8)
8/10/2004 3:43:54 AM
"Seann" <seannmc@diginow.net> top posted:

> Ahhh I forgot. Windows afficionados don't have a sense of humor.
> (Something in their contract with Bill G.)
>
> "MartinS" <me@my.place> wrote...
>> "Seann" <seannmc@diginow.net> top posted:
>>
>> > I used to do cross posts, but since have learned not to flame.
>> >
>> > "DevilsPGD" <UseTheReplyToField@crazyhat.net> wrote...
>>
>> <SNIP>
>>
>> You haven't learned not to top post, moron.

You're the one using OE, which encourages top posting.

--
Martin S.
0

0
emperor (2)
8/10/2004 8:51:29 AM
On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 00:33:40 -0400, MartinS <me@my.place> tried to
confuse everyone with this message:

>You're the one using OE, which encourages top posting.

Man, that's a stupid thing to say. All newsreaders I've used place the
cursor at the beginning of the message. It's assumed that every sane man
starts with the snipping of irrelevant parts. If a newsreader would
place the cursor after the quoted post, THAT would be an extreme
annoyance to snip and write your comments in the relevant place.

--
|Here you can see, how awful I'm at Quake speedrunning| Grue(at)mail.ru|
|E1M1 :29  E1M5 :19  E2M1 :10  E3M2 :22  E4M5 :15,===""================;
|E1M2 :36  E1M6 :11  E2M3 :27  E4M1 :30  E4M6 :24|->grue3.tripod.com<--|
|E1M3_:43__E1M7_:14__E3M1_:43__E4M2_:52__END__:37;================[4*72]
0
grue4684 (283)
8/10/2004 9:42:23 AM
on 10/08/2004, Timofei Shatrov supposed :
> On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 00:33:40 -0400, MartinS <me@my.place> tried to
> confuse everyone with this message:
>
>> You're the one using OE, which encourages top posting.
>
> Man, that's a stupid thing to say. All newsreaders I've used place the
> cursor at the beginning of the message. It's assumed that every sane man
> starts with the snipping of irrelevant parts. If a newsreader would
> place the cursor after the quoted post, THAT would be an extreme
> annoyance to snip and write your comments in the relevant place.
Do you like to read a book, with a lot of pages ripped out?
BTW, my newsreader puts the cursor at the end.

--
This is an automatic signature of MesNews.
Site : http://mesnews.no-ip.com

0
mercierb1 (3)
8/10/2004 10:07:50 AM
On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 12:07:50 +0200, Bernard Mercier <mercierb@yahoo.com>
tried to confuse everyone with this message:

>on 10/08/2004, Timofei Shatrov supposed :
>> On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 00:33:40 -0400, MartinS <me@my.place> tried to
>> confuse everyone with this message:
>>
>>> You're the one using OE, which encourages top posting.
>>
>> Man, that's a stupid thing to say. All newsreaders I've used place the
>> cursor at the beginning of the message. It's assumed that every sane man
>> starts with the snipping of irrelevant parts. If a newsreader would
>> place the cursor after the quoted post, THAT would be an extreme
>> annoyance to snip and write your comments in the relevant place.
>Do you like to read a book, with a lot of pages ripped out?

Well, if I'm reading a sci-fi novel which gets interlaced constantly
with recipes from a cooking book, I'd rather have the irrelevant pages
ripped out...

--
|Here you can see, how awful I'm at Quake speedrunning| Grue(at)mail.ru|
|E1M1 :29  E1M5 :19  E2M1 :10  E3M2 :22  E4M5 :15,===""================;
|E1M2 :36  E1M6 :11  E2M3 :27  E4M1 :30  E4M6 :24|->grue3.tripod.com<--|
|E1M3_:43__E1M7_:14__E3M1_:43__E4M2_:52__END__:37;================[4*72]
0
grue4684 (283)
8/10/2004 12:23:15 PM
On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 12:23:15 GMT, grue@mail.ru (Timofei Shatrov)
transparently proposed:

>On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 12:07:50 +0200, Bernard Mercier <mercierb@yahoo.com>
>tried to confuse everyone with this message:
>
>>on 10/08/2004, Timofei Shatrov supposed :
>>> On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 00:33:40 -0400, MartinS <me@my.place> tried to
>>> confuse everyone with this message:

>>> Man, that's a stupid thing to say. All newsreaders I've used place the
>>> cursor at the beginning of the message. It's assumed that every sane man
>>> starts with the snipping of irrelevant parts. If a newsreader would
>>> place the cursor after the quoted post, THAT would be an extreme
>>> annoyance to snip and write your comments in the relevant place.
>>Do you like to read a book, with a lot of pages ripped out?
>
>Well, if I'm reading a sci-fi novel which gets interlaced constantly
>with recipes from a cooking book, I'd rather have the irrelevant pages
>ripped out...

Nice straw man. Ever see a book that even slightly resembled your
statement? Care to actually use something analogous to reality this
time?

'Ratz

0
a6ahlyv02 (663)
8/10/2004 1:06:14 PM
[Deleted (invalid?) group alt.windows]

Timofei Shatrov <grue@mail.ru> wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 00:33:40 -0400, MartinS <me@my.place> tried to
> confuse everyone with this message:
>
> >You're the one using OE, which encourages top posting.
>
> Man, that's a stupid thing to say.

  Maybe it is 'stupid', because you do not understand it?

>                                    All newsreaders I've used place the
> cursor at the beginning of the message. It's assumed that every sane man
> starts with the snipping of irrelevant parts. If a newsreader would
> place the cursor after the quoted post, THAT would be an extreme
> annoyance to snip and write your comments in the relevant place.

  Did he say that a newsreader should "place the cursor after the quoted
post"? Hint: the answer is not "yes".

  I.e. OE *does* encourage top-posting, but that does *not* mean that
newsreaders should place the cursor after the quoted text. Think about
it. Maybe you'll figure it out.
0
this24 (461)
8/10/2004 1:54:45 PM
On 10 Aug 2004 13:54:45 GMT, Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid>
tried to confuse everyone with this message:

>  I.e. OE *does* encourage top-posting, but that does *not* mean that
>newsreaders should place the cursor after the quoted text. Think about
>it. Maybe you'll figure it out.

I don't remember the last time I used OE, still it shouldn't do
something spectacular that absolutely prevents someone from
bottom-posting (like adding the sig before the quoted post). It
could be adding a newline at the beginning of the message, but that
isn't too hard to cope with, isn't it?

--
|Here you can see, how awful I'm at Quake speedrunning| Grue(at)mail.ru|
|E1M1 :29  E1M5 :19  E2M1 :10  E3M2 :22  E4M5 :15,===""================;
|E1M2 :36  E1M6 :11  E2M3 :27  E4M1 :30  E4M6 :24|->grue3.tripod.com<--|
|E1M3_:43__E1M7_:14__E3M1_:43__E4M2_:52__END__:37;================[4*72]
0
grue4684 (283)
8/10/2004 2:20:36 PM
> On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 12:23:15 GMT, grue@mail.ru (Timofei Shatrov)
> transparently proposed:
>
> >On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 12:07:50 +0200, Bernard Mercier <mercierb@yahoo.com>
> >tried to confuse everyone with this message:
> >
> >>on 10/08/2004, Timofei Shatrov supposed :

> >>Do you like to read a book, with a lot of pages ripped out?
> >
> >Well, if I'm reading a sci-fi novel which gets interlaced constantly
> >with recipes from a cooking book, I'd rather have the irrelevant pages
> >ripped out...
>
> Nice straw man. Ever see a book that even slightly resembled your
> statement? Care to actually use something analogous to reality this
> time?
>
> 'Ratz

Sorry folks. It pisses me off to have to scroll through 15' of message to
see 1 sentence of reply.  I read these things once every few days so
figgured that since I read the thread message by message, then having the
whole kit and kabootle quoted was irrelavant.

It just strikes me as being like getting email discussion groups in digest
format. Somebody has never figured out how to snip, and so you get the whole
digest from yesterday in their message.

I'll not bother you on this thread any longer.

0
seannmc (8)
8/10/2004 2:36:14 PM
Timofei Shatrov <grue@mail.ru> wrote:
> On 10 Aug 2004 13:54:45 GMT, Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid>
> tried to confuse everyone with this message:
>
> >  I.e. OE *does* encourage top-posting, but that does *not* mean that
> >newsreaders should place the cursor after the quoted text. Think about
> >it. Maybe you'll figure it out.
>
> I don't remember the last time I used OE, still it shouldn't do
> something spectacular that absolutely prevents someone from
> bottom-posting (like adding the sig before the quoted post). It
> could be adding a newline at the beginning of the message, but that
> isn't too hard to cope with, isn't it?

  Did I say that "OE absolutely prevents someone from bottom-posting"?
Hint: The answer, again, is not "yes". Try to read what people write,
not what you think (they write). It makes a discussion much simpler,
believe me. (BTW, OE *does* put the sig before the quoted text (and
places the cursor before the sig).)

  The *point* is that while it indeed does not *prevent* interleaved-
posting, it *encourages* top-posting. Try to read what people write, not
what you think (they write). It makes a discussion much simpler, believe
me.

  Have you figured out the mystery yet? I.e. where the cursor *should*
be placed? Hint: It is not above the quoted text (as OE and your other
newsreaders do(es)), and it is not below the quoted text (which, as you
mentioned "would be an extreme annoyance ...").
0
this24 (461)
8/10/2004 3:15:12 PM
[Again removed (invalid?) group alt.windows]

Seann <seannmc@diginow.net> wrote:
> >Aratzio" <a6ahlyv02@sneakemail.com> wrote in message
[much deleted]
> > Nice straw man. Ever see a book that even slightly resembled your
> > statement? Care to actually use something analogous to reality this
> > time?
> >
> > 'Ratz
>
> Sorry folks. It pisses me off to have to scroll through 15' of message
> to see 1 sentence of reply.  I read these things once every few days
> so figgured that since I read the thread message by message, then
> having the whole kit and kabootle quoted was irrelavant.

  With a decent newsreader, that is no problem at all, because it will
be able to (un)hide quoted text or/and jump to the new text.

  Moral: Don't blame others for the limited capabilities of your
newsreader c.q. your lack of knowledge about (the capabilities of) your
newsreader. (In your case the former applies.)

> It just strikes me as being like getting email discussion groups in
> digest format. Somebody has never figured out how to snip, and so you
> get the whole digest from yesterday in their message.

  Indeed people should snip as much as possible, while still leaving
sufficient context that the article can stand on its own.

> I'll not bother you on this thread any longer.

  Promises, promises! :-)
0
this24 (461)
8/10/2004 3:29:10 PM
On 10 Aug 2004 15:15:12 GMT, Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid>
tried to confuse everyone with this message:

>Timofei Shatrov <grue@mail.ru> wrote:
>> On 10 Aug 2004 13:54:45 GMT, Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid>
>> tried to confuse everyone with this message:
>>
>> >  I.e. OE *does* encourage top-posting, but that does *not* mean that
>> >newsreaders should place the cursor after the quoted text. Think about
>> >it. Maybe you'll figure it out.
>>
>> I don't remember the last time I used OE, still it shouldn't do
>> something spectacular that absolutely prevents someone from
>> bottom-posting (like adding the sig before the quoted post). It
>> could be adding a newline at the beginning of the message, but that
>> isn't too hard to cope with, isn't it?
>
>  Did I say that "OE absolutely prevents someone from bottom-posting"?

Did I say that you said?

>  The *point* is that while it indeed does not *prevent* interleaved-
>posting, it *encourages* top-posting. Try to read what people write, not
>what you think (they write). It makes a discussion much simpler, believe
>me.

Actually what I write, could be a third different thing than what I
think, and what other people think. :) What I wanted to say is:

1. OE doesn't prevent bottom-posting.
2. OE doesn't encourage top-posting (although if it really does place
sig before quoted text then I could change my opinion)
3. It's people who top-post who encourage top-posting.

>  Have you figured out the mystery yet? I.e. where the cursor *should*
>be placed? Hint: It is not above the quoted text (as OE and your other
>newsreaders do(es)), and it is not below the quoted text (which, as you
>mentioned "would be an extreme annoyance ...").

The best place for me would be after an attribution line, but 2 lines
won't make a huge difference (unless you use a 30-line attribution like
the guy named Bateau did...)

--
|Here you can see, how awful I'm at Quake speedrunning| Grue(at)mail.ru|
|E1M1 :29  E1M5 :19  E2M1 :10  E3M2 :22  E4M5 :15,===""================;
|E1M2 :36  E1M6 :11  E2M3 :27  E4M1 :30  E4M6 :24|->grue3.tripod.com<--|
|E1M3_:43__E1M7_:14__E3M1_:43__E4M2_:52__END__:37;================[4*72]
0
grue4684 (283)
8/10/2004 3:36:34 PM
"Seann" <seannmc@diginow.net> wrote:

> Sorry folks. It pisses me off to have to scroll through 15' of
> message to see 1 sentence of reply.  I read these things once every
> few days so figgured that since I read the thread message by
> message, then having the whole kit and kabootle quoted was
> irrelavant.
>
> It just strikes me as being like getting email discussion groups in
> digest format. Somebody has never figured out how to snip, and so
> you get the whole digest from yesterday in their message.

The problem is posters' ignorance in not knowing how to snip material
that is not relevant to their reply. Also, in default mode, many
newsreaders (such as OE and Mozilla) insert lots of extraneous
attribution text and/or superfluous blank lines, which I also snip.

In any Windows newsreader you can skip to the bottom of a long post with
Ctrl+End. Xnews has an icon to Skip Quoted Text.

Equally annoying are people who post their response *after* a standard
sig delimiter (-- ), which some newsreaders display in a different font,
and strip from the reply window unless specifically selected.

Xnews (except 6.08.25 IIRC) always places the cursor at the bottom.
However, you can select a single block of posted text that you want to
quote in your reply; it will paste just that block, and put the curor
below the quoted text and above your sig.

--
Martin S.
0

> On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 00:33:40 -0400, MartinS <me@my.place> tried to
> confuse everyone with this message:
>
>>You're the one using OE, which encourages top posting.
>
> Man, that's a stupid thing to say. All newsreaders I've used place the
> cursor at the beginning of the message.
[...]

You need to try a good/better reader then.

L.
--
If you are getting errors with Biggulp try the Faq.

http://www.readfreenews.com/biggulp-faq.html

it was Tue, 10 Aug 2004 12:07:50 +0200, when Bernard Mercier said...

> on 10/08/2004, Timofei Shatrov supposed :
>> On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 00:33:40 -0400, MartinS <me@my.place> tried to
>> confuse everyone with this message:
>>
>>> You're the one using OE, which encourages top posting.
>>
>> Man, that's a stupid thing to say. All newsreaders I've used place the
>> cursor at the beginning of the message. It's assumed that every sane man
>> starts with the snipping of irrelevant parts. If a newsreader would
>> place the cursor after the quoted post, THAT would be an extreme
>> annoyance to snip and write your comments in the relevant place.
> Do you like to read a book, with a lot of pages ripped out?
> BTW, my newsreader puts the cursor at the end.

Not when reading a book, but usenet is a different thing.

L.

--
If you are getting errors with Biggulp try the Faq.

http://www.readfreenews.com/biggulp-faq.html

it was Tue, 10 Aug 2004 06:06:14 -0700, when Aratzio said...

> On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 12:23:15 GMT, grue@mail.ru (Timofei Shatrov)
> transparently proposed:
>
>>On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 12:07:50 +0200, Bernard Mercier <mercierb@yahoo.com>
>>tried to confuse everyone with this message:
>>
>>>on 10/08/2004, Timofei Shatrov supposed :

>>>Do you like to read a book, with a lot of pages ripped out?
>>
>>Well, if I'm reading a sci-fi novel which gets interlaced constantly
>>with recipes from a cooking book, I'd rather have the irrelevant pages
>>ripped out...
>
> Nice straw man. Ever see a book that even slightly resembled your
> statement? Care to actually use something analogous to reality this
> time?
>
> 'Ratz

Delia does Asimov

--
If you are getting errors with Biggulp try the Faq.

http://www.readfreenews.com/biggulp-faq.html

Timofei Shatrov formulated on dinsdag :
> On 10 Aug 2004 15:15:12 GMT, Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid>
> tried to confuse everyone with this message:
>
>> Timofei Shatrov <grue@mail.ru> wrote:
>>> On 10 Aug 2004 13:54:45 GMT, Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid>
>>> tried to confuse everyone with this message:

>>> I don't remember the last time I used OE, still it shouldn't do
>>> something spectacular that absolutely prevents someone from
>>> bottom-posting (like adding the sig before the quoted post). It
>>> could be adding a newline at the beginning of the message, but that
>>> isn't too hard to cope with, isn't it?
>>
>>  Did I say that "OE absolutely prevents someone from bottom-posting"?
>
> Did I say that you said?
>
>>  The *point* is that while it indeed does not *prevent* interleaved-
>> posting, it *encourages* top-posting. Try to read what people write, not
>> what you think (they write). It makes a discussion much simpler, believe
>> me.
>
> Actually what I write, could be a third different thing than what I
> think, and what other people think. :) What I wanted to say is:
>
> 1. OE doesn't prevent bottom-posting.
> 2. OE doesn't encourage top-posting (although if it really does place
> sig before quoted text then I could change my opinion)
> 3. It's people who top-post who encourage top-posting.
>

>>  Have you figured out the mystery yet? I.e. where the cursor *should*
>> be placed? Hint: It is not above the quoted text (as OE and your other
>> newsreaders do(es)), and it is not below the quoted text (which, as you
>> mentioned "would be an extreme annoyance ...").
>
> The best place for me would be after an attribution line, but 2 lines
> won't make a huge difference (unless you use a 30-line attribution like
> the guy named Bateau did...)
Well that's the problem with snipping.
At the end you don't see what others have said before and you will have
to loose time to roll back untill you find the relevant info.

--
This is an automatic signature of MesNews.
Site : http://mesnews.no-ip.com
Belges</a>

0
mercierb1 (3)
8/10/2004 6:40:34 PM
Bernard Mercier <mercierb@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Well that's the problem with snipping.
> At the end you don't see what others have said before and you will
> have to loose time to roll back untill you find the relevant info.

Not if the snipping is done intelligently, and you are replying to one
or more specific points. There are some situations where not snipping is
accepted, e.g. long-running pun threads. Even so, I prefer to snip out
excess attribution verbiage and blank lines. I'm told that OE refuses to
keep posting when a thread gets too long.

If you come in part-way through a thread, Xnews has an icon to get the

Martin S.
0
me9252 (11)
8/10/2004 7:09:52 PM

On 2004-08-06, David Wright Sr. <dwrightsr@alltel.net> wrote:

> An aside to those who use other OSes and belittle us Microsoft users.
> Don't get smug. The only reason that you are not plagued by viruses,
> spyware etc, is that people who write these things aim for the big
> target.

That's *ONE* reason, but it is not the "only" reason.  Windows was
designed before security was perceived to be a significant concern for
most computer users, and many design decisions in Windows were made with
security as an afterthought, if it was considered at all.  Decisions such
as allowing automatic execution of code and scripts and the tight
integration of network applications with the operating system core were
justified as "improving the user experience" and we have been living
with the security fallout of these decisions ever since.

The latest "Bagle" variant this week spreads through a flaw dating back
to mid-2001.  My web server gets probed by dozens of "Code Red" and
"nimda" exploit attempts daily from compromised Win machines, even though
the fixes have been readily available for years now.

No, Windows is *NOT* as secure as most other operating systems, and this
is at least in part by design.

> *All* OSes have potential holes in them and can and will be
> exploited at some time or another.

Make that "*can* be exploited at some time or another."

> We run a mixture of MACs, Linux, SCO
> Unix, PCs with XP, Windows 2003 and Novell Networks plus hardware and
> software firewalls. On a recent third-party security checkup of our
> installations, *All* of these showed serious holes which could be used
> to punch holes in our security setup. So far, even with the holes, we
> have spotted and prevented attacks against our PCs, of course, but also
> against our Linux machines and firewalls.

I have linux, Win2k, NetBSD, FreeBSD, and OS/2 machines running here.
There are exploits availbale for all these systems, but the problems tend
to be less severe and the fixes more forthcoming on the *nix platforms
than for Windows.

--

-John (john@os2.dhs.org)
0

On 2004-08-06, !SpamMe <a@b.com> wrote:

> Any OSes other than Windows (and perhaps including OS/2) is certainly more
> secure to fight against any spyware, YMMV.

Although there are exploits for *nix and other platforms, *spyware* seems
to be a Windows-only thing in my experience.

--

-John (john@os2.dhs.org)
0
Timofei Shatrov <grue@mail.ru> wrote:
> On 10 Aug 2004 15:15:12 GMT, Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid>
> tried to confuse everyone with this message:
>
> >Timofei Shatrov <grue@mail.ru> wrote:
> >> On 10 Aug 2004 13:54:45 GMT, Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid>
> >> tried to confuse everyone with this message:

> >> I don't remember the last time I used OE, still it shouldn't do
> >> something spectacular that absolutely prevents someone from
> >> bottom-posting (like adding the sig before the quoted post). It
> >> could be adding a newline at the beginning of the message, but that
> >> isn't too hard to cope with, isn't it?
> >
> >  Did I say that "OE absolutely prevents someone from bottom-posting"?
>
> Did I say that you said?

  If you do not (want to) respond to what people wrote, but want to
address a different issue, then *don't quote them*! Plain and simple! If
you quote people and then add new text, the only reasonable assumption
is that you are addressing the quoted statements. Of course you can
*add* other/new issues, but you should at least address the quoted text
or not quote.

> >  The *point* is that while it indeed does not *prevent* interleaved-
> >posting, it *encourages* top-posting. Try to read what people write, not
> >what you think (they write). It makes a discussion much simpler, believe
> >me.
>
> Actually what I write, could be a third different thing than what I
> think, and what other people think. :) What I wanted to say is:
>
> 1. OE doesn't prevent bottom-posting.

  Correct. It just makes it bloody hard.

  BTW, drop the "bottom-posting" term. A more clear term is
interleaved-posting. *Real* bottom-posting is about as annoying as
top-posting.

> 2. OE doesn't encourage top-posting (although if it really does place
> sig before quoted text then I could change my opinion)

  No "really" about it! As I *said* (and you silently snipped), it
*does* place the sig before the quoted text. I tested it.

> 3. It's people who top-post who encourage top-posting.

  Well, it's people who *do* top-post. There are few, but indeed some,
who actually *encourage* it. Few *outside* the asylum, I mean.

> >  Have you figured out the mystery yet? I.e. where the cursor *should*
> >be placed? Hint: It is not above the quoted text (as OE and your other
> >newsreaders do(es)), and it is not below the quoted text (which, as you
> >mentioned "would be an extreme annoyance ...").
>
> The best place for me would be after an attribution line,

  Bingo! We have a winner!

  That is indeed where a sensible news'reader' places the cursor. I.e.
it encourages the user to start snipping unneeded quoted material c.q.
leaving desired quoted material by just moving down over it.

>							    but 2 lines
> The best place for me would be after an attribution line, but 2 lines
> won't make a huge difference (unless you use a 30-line attribution like
> the guy named Bateau did...)

  The number of lines is irrelevant, it is the *position* which is
vitally important. Guess where 'my' newsreader puts it? :-)
0
this24 (461)
8/11/2004 9:34:53 AM
On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 02:07:24 GMT, John Thompson <john@starfleet.os2.dhs.org> wrote:
> ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.ms-windows.misc.]
>
> On 2004-08-06, !SpamMe <a@b.com> wrote:
>
>> Any OSes other than Windows (and perhaps including OS/2) is certainly more
>> secure to fight against any spyware, YMMV.
>
> Although there are exploits for *nix and other platforms, *spyware* seems
> to be a Windows-only thing in my experience.

It is possible for UN*X OSs to be infected with spyware, but these will
affect only one user at a time, unless someone is foolish enough to run
stuff as root.

--
-- Skylar Thompson (skylar@os2.dhs.org)
-- http://www.os2.dhs.org/~skylar/

Aratzio wrote:

> On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 20:12:50 -0600, DevilsPGD
> <UseTheReplyToField@crazyhat.net> got double secret probation because:
>
>>In message <r97rg0545v47ec1g3s9k5oo430hlq17v6s@4ax.com> wolfman
>><howlingmad@thewholeDAMNEDworld.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Original reply should have said "I don't help cross posters." OK
>>
>>Then why the fuck open your mouth?
>
> Summer on usenet, sigh.
>
> Just think, soon it will be Thanksgiving break. Then Christmas break.
> Then spring break and before you know, here they are again, summer on
> usenet.
>
> 'Ratz
>

> --
>
> Beer soup! A few brain cells registered their doubt,
> but the rest of them grabbed them by the collar and
> said hoarsely, people cooked chicken in wine, didn't they?
>
> Terry Pratchett - The Last Continent

0
adam15906 (1)
12/26/2004 7:56:31 PM
try microsoft anti-spyware beta 1
its free and it does a great job removing spyware and adware

0
edesca69 (1)
1/18/2005 10:33:14 PM
masizo rambled on in news.software.readers:

> try microsoft anti-spyware beta 1
> its free and it does a great job removing spyware and adware

Ad-aware and spybot S&D are good ones as well.
0
pray (15)

Get Rid of Spyware and Adware!
Hi There! Want to Get Rid of Spyware and Adware? Come check out the Best Security on the Market! http://www.getprotectednow.150m.com Thanks. ...

Get Rid of Spyware and Adware!
Hi There! Want to Get Rid of Spyware and Adware? Come check out the Best Security on the Market! http://www.getprotectednow.150m.com Thanks. ...

How to get rid of the window edges
I can get rid of most of the window edges for a data-window by using: SELF:EnableSystemMenu(FALSE) SELF:EnableMinBox(FALSE) SELF:EnableMaxBox(FALSE) SELF:EnableBorder(WINDOWNOBORDER) This howeven leaves me with small edges as on this Vo Window: www.tennishulp.info/download/VOWINDOW.BMP Can I get rid of these small edges as well ? John John Martens wrote: > > > I can get rid of most of the window edges for a data-window by using: > SELF:EnableSystemMenu(FALSE) > SELF:EnableMinBox(FALSE) > SELF:EnableMaxBox(FALSE) > SELF:EnableBo...

How to get rid of Butler window?
One of my start up items is Butler. This time, the program started ok, but the little window that says "Starting up Butler" got stuck, and is still there. How do I get rid of it? I don't see any obvious button. On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 14:45:03 -0500, Kiran wrote (in article <300720061445032536%kiran@no.email>): > One of my start up items is Butler. This time, the program started ok, > but the little window that says "Starting up Butler" got stuck, and is > still there. How do I get rid of it? I don't see any obvious button. Can't you force quit it?...

Get Rid of Spyware and Adware!
Hi There! Want to Get Rid of Spyware and Adware? Come check out the Best Security on the Market! http://www.getprotectednow.150m.com Thanks. ...

Re: How to get rid of spyware?
*** post for FREE via your newsreader at post.newsfeed.com *** On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 17:29:18 GMT, dh_ld@nomail.com wrote: >Can anyone suggest a good free program to remove spyware from >a PC using Windows 98? YEAH.............JAMES BOND 007.COM AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! -----= Posted via Newsfeed.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =----- http://www.newsfeed.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== 100,000 Groups! - 19 Servers! - Unlimited Download! =----- Gumby <gumby@bends.com> wrote in news:3nbog09mf6oanqf13evi8acsmmub8t9lpn@4ax.com: > Path: > internal1.nntp.dca.giganews.com!border2.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.giga > news.com!elnk-atl-nf1!newsfeed.earthlink.net!c01.usenetserver.com!news. > usenetserver.com!cyclone01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com!twister01.bloo > r.is.net.cable.rogers.com.POSTED!12dc6cf53ab2750!not-for-mail From: > "Carly" <csmith@nhlpa.com> Newsgroups: news.software.readers > Subject: pars > Lines: 4 > X-Priority: 3 > X-MSMail-Priority: Normal > X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2600.0000 > X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2600.0000 > Message-ID: > <lZ5Pc.1368159$Ar.133028@twister01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com> > Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2004 13:10:41 GMT NNTP-Posting-Host: 69.192.29.142 > X-Complaints-To: abuse@rogers.com > X-Trace: twister01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com 1091365841 > 69...

Re: How to get rid of spyware? #2
To remove and prevent spyware and adware, it is advisable to install spybot or Adaware.=20 Joseph Chia -----Original Message----- From: dh_ld@nomail.com [mailto:dh_ld@nomail.com]=20 Posted At: Sunday, August 01, 2004 2:03 AM Posted To: misc Conversation: How to get rid of spyware? Subject: How to get rid of spyware? Can anyone suggest a good free program to remove spyware from a PC using Windows 98? =20 I found Ad-Aware at: http://www.docsdownloads.com/spyware.htm Would that be about as good as anything else? ...

How to get rid of Connecting to Server window
I used the Go menu in the Finder (10.4.8) to go to the public folder on a friend's iDisk. I then used the Eject command under the Finder's File menu to eject his hard disk/public folder icon; it disappeared from my desktop. But ever since then (which was days ago), I have had an open Connecting to Server window with spinning barberpole on my desktop which tells me that I am trying to connect to his public folder. I am unable to get rid of it and would appreciate knowing how to do so. Thanks. Ed Ed Wicks <EdWicks@noplace.net> writes: > > I used the Go menu in the Finder (10.4.8) to go to the public folder on > a friend's iDisk. I then used the Eject command under the Finder's > File menu to eject his hard disk/public folder icon; it disappeared > from my desktop. But ever since then (which was days ago), I have had > an open Connecting to Server window with spinning barberpole on my > desktop which tells me that I am trying to connect to his public > folder. I am unable to get rid of it and would appreciate knowing how > to do so. Thanks. Does this happen all the time, or only under some circumstances? If it's happening during file-open or file-save-as operations, then I have seen it and have an explanation. Many applications record the most-recently-used folder, in order to make that the next-viewed folder when you launch the app next, or open another file in it. When this folder is on a network volume, it tries to r...

getting rid of network logon window
I recently installed a xircom network/modem card in my dell laptop. However, when I start/restart my laptop, shortly after starting windows I get a logon window asking for my network password. I normally don't put anything on it, but is there a way to get rid of it? thanks in advance. al Yes, in network properties, select "Windows Logon" as the primary logon. alfonso gayoso wrote: > I recently installed a xircom network/modem card in my dell laptop. > > However, when I start/restart my laptop, shortly after starting > windows I get a logon window asking for my network password. I > normally don't put anything on it, but is there a way to get rid of > it? > > thanks in advance. > > al thanks a lot! al ...

get rid of Windows servers entirely
In love with Linux Gigi Onag May 24 2004 "Our intention is to get rid of Windows servers entirely." Investing in Linux, while no longer novel, is still considered by many companies to be a maverick move. The reasons have less to do with Linux's perceived robutness than the risk of moving away from the safety-net of the Windows camp. But for IT public relations specialist the EBA Group, the insurance of Microsoft will be taking a back seat, in favor of the security and cost advantages that it has seen in Linux. The EBA Group is now on a journey that would lead to a full Linux m...

Windows Restore virus
What is Windows restore virus: Windows Restore or WinRestore is a commonly known fake program which blongs to rogue spyware family. it is also known as WindowsRestore and has a clone named System Restore virus. It is 100 percent sure and confirmed that Windows Restore is not a legitimate and useful computer software but a bogus and piece of fraud tools and a part of scam. You might be thinking how can it be a part of scam. The Answer is that Windows-Restore virus is a fake software developed by hackers. They just want to sell this product to innocent computer users and swindle their money. To get this program purchased, They drop it into computers over internet using malicious websites ,worm and trojans..... To get rid of this virus, install an anti malware or follow the manual removal instructions from this tutorial http://www.techvts.com/fake-windows-restore-removal On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 07:16:17 -0700 (PDT), darfun <darfun.inc@gmail.com> wrote: >What is Windows restore virus: --snip-- >To get rid of this virus, install an anti malware or follow the manual >removal instructions from this tutorial >hxxp://www.techvts.com/fake-windows-restore-removal alt.comp.anti-virus is that way ----------------> :) darfun <darfun.inc@gmail.com> wrote: > What is Windows restore virus: > Windows Restore or WinRestore is a commonly known fake program which > blongs to rogue spyware family. it is also known as WindowsRestore and > has a clone named S...

It's time to get rid of Windows
<Quote> Some people out there used no fewer than six Windows botnets to go after this one guy....How did this happen? It happened because Windows is an insecure piece of junk. Anyone who knows anything about security knows that this kind of disaster was only a matter of time. Windows botnets are responsible for DDoS attacks and most of e-mail spam. You cannot secure Windows. Microsoft keeps saying that they will, and they always fail. Period. Windows has been insecure since day one and it's still going to be insecure when Windows 7 shows up. Perhaps it's time to start blocking Windows PCs from the Internet. Sound crazy? Yes, I agree. But, I'll tell you something else that's crazy. It's crazy that whole sections of the Internet can be shut down by a few people controlling huge Windows botnets for petty, personal reasons. </Quote> http://blogs.computerworld.com/14510/its_time_to_get_rid_of_windows?page=1 nessuno <nessuno7491@gmail.com> writes: > <Quote> > Some people out there used no fewer than six Windows botnets to go > after this one guy....How did this happen? It happened because Windows > is an insecure piece of junk. Anyone who knows anything about security > knows that this kind of disaster was only a matter of time. Windows > botnets are responsible for DDoS attacks and most of e-mail spam. > > You cannot secure Windows. Microsoft keeps saying that they will, and > they always fail. Period. Wi...

Google gets rid of office PCs with windows
Google gets rid of office PCs with windows ------------------------------------------ http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2010/jun/01/google-windows-linux-apple More stories going into print. Google replacing Office PCs that comes with windows with Linux PCs and Unix based OS such as those sold by Appil. It is the beginning of the end of micoshaft corporation. Google hurts micoshaft marketing Google is going to kill micoshaft corporation. Time to swat up on Linux me thinks starting with distros like Ubuntu, Fedora, mint, kubuntu etc.. Its free and has overall b...

How to get rid of pop-up window when run query?
Hey, Guys, I have a question when I created a query with date() in the criteria. I want to generate a list of gifts sent in 10 days. The code I put in criteria of query is DateDiff("d",[Receive_date],[Date()]) <=10 And the problem is when I run the query, there is a pop-up window asking for parameter of date(). It is really weird, it seems ACCESS didn't recognize the Date function. Can any one give me some idea? Thanks a lot. MIndy Hi Mindy, Try removing the square brackets from the Date function. Access thinks you are referring to a column in the query. DateDiff("d",[Receive_date],Date()) should work... msnyder BTW, this was a separate column (Expr1), and the criteria was <=10, as I assume that Receive_date IS a separate column in your query... Thank you very much. It works! ...

Can I delete a Windows file to get rid of a Trojan?
Recently my system has been infected with a Trojan called downloader.agent which has defied all attempts to get rid of it. It creates an exe file called polall1l.exe which activies at 00.20. I've just done a text search and found this string in two Windows files: user.dat and localnrd.inf. The latter was last altered September 27 and contains the name only. Can I delete either or both of these files safely and will this get rid of the problem? a_baron[AT]ntlworld.com A_Baron@ABaron.Demon.Co.UK (Alexander Baron) wrote in news:10503184.0411141700.6dd9d4cd@posting.google.com: > Recently my system has been infected with a Trojan called > downloader.agent which has defied all attempts to get rid of it. It > creates an exe file called polall1l.exe which activies at 00.20. I've > just done a text search and found this string in two Windows files: > user.dat and localnrd.inf. > > The latter was last altered September 27 and contains the name only. > Can I delete either or both of these files safely and will this get > rid of the problem? > > > a_baron[AT]ntlworld.com It seems that you have a *hidden* process that's running on the machine and all attempts to locate the culprit have failed and it keeps creating the file. Maybe, the link and some of the tools being explained like Process Explorer can help you pinpoint what is doing it. If you have a NT based O/S, you can also enable Auditing on the computer and it will log p...

Help getting rid of perpetual unit converter window?
Greetings! I'm running 10.4.6 on a Quicksilver 867 as an auxiliary computer, mainly to control certain things going on in my house (music playing, etc.). It is headless, I run it via Timbuktu. Somehow I seem to have made the unit converter utility (I assume it is a dashboard thing) visible outside of dashboard; it runs as a permanent floating window on top of everything else. This is annoying, although I have moved it down to the bottom edge of the screen to minimize the intrusion. I can't figure out how to get rid of it, can anybody help me? It survives a restart. It has no c...

It has to be Linux or BSD....or something, just get rid of Windows.
My wife brought home a coworker's laptop. It was having problems. Yup, you guessed it, XP. With a sigh, I started it up, logged in, (was able to administer the system with no password, BTW.) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/......./run was LOADED with crap. Settings were wide open for any malware to take over. The windopes can't have it both ways, you can't argue that "a properly administered machine" wouldn't have this problem, and turn around and say Linux is "too hard" or "why do I need to know how to administer my system." I have been using linux since 1...

How to get rid of an error message in the Task Progress window?
Hi... I normally have my settings set such that remote graphics do NOT get displayed by default. If I trust a message, and see that there are graphics I'm missing, I might click the "get graphics" icon on my Eudora message window. In this case, apparently, the server that offered the graphics was NOT functioning...after 2 minutes, Eudora included an error message in the Task Progress window ("Error while performing uknown task for Dominant...no response from server after 20 seconds.") Later...I re-opened the message, click the Get Pictures icon, and the pi...

Currently dual-booting, want to get rid of Windows
Hi there! A few months back I have finally buckled down and installed Linux (Debian Sarge) on my computer. As I was a Windows user for many years, I've kept my Windows XP installation and used dual-booting. My current hard-drive scheme looks like this (output from fdisk -l): ---------- Disk /dev/sda: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729 cylinders Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System /dev/sda1 1 1770 14217493+ 7 HPFS/NTFS /dev/sda2 * 1835 3045 9727357+ 83 Linux /dev/sda3 1771 1834 514080 82 Linux swap /dev/sda4 3046 9729 53689230 f W95 Ext'd (LBA) /dev/sda5 3046 9729 53689198+ 83 Linux Partition table entries are not in disk order ---------- As you can see, Windows is on the first partition, Debian is on the second (My bootloader is GRUB), the swap is the third and a general data partition (ext2) is on the forth. Ever since I've installed Linux, I haven't found one reason to boot Windows and now I wish to delete it (Format its partition) and move the free space thus created to the general data partition (Without losing any data from my Linux and general data partitions of course). Obviously(?) this requires moving partitions 2-5 down. What are the steps that I need to follow in order to perform this task? Th...

how to get rid of top blue window bar in GUI?
Hi all, I made a very simple splash-screen by making a GUI window visible for a few seconds and then go on with the main application. However, I'd like to get rid of the top blue bar in the splash screen. Is that possible? Thanx, Jeroen ...

How to Get Rid of Message When Rebooting Windows XP Machine
My son aborted a software installation and now he gets a message when rebooting asking him to reinsert the CD containing the software, in his CD rom drive. Only problem is that he threw away the CD. Now he doesn't know how to get rid of this message. He has tried everything he can think of to get rid of this message, but nothing works. Anyone have any ideas? Inserting a different CD does help. Thanks, Mike ...

how do i get windows minimization event in the child video window of windows media player
hi, i am working on a rendering filter and my filter is used by the windows media player. i need the windows minimization event WM_SIZE with the flag SIZE_MINIMIZE to be received by my video window which inturn will be received by the filter to do some internal processing. My video window is a child window of the media player. I am able to receive the WM_SIZE event with the flag SIZE_RESTORED but not with the other flags namely SIZE_MAXIMIZED, SIZE_MAXSHOW, SIZE_MINIMIZED, SIZE_MAXHIDE. can any genius help me out regarding this. thanking in antisipation chidesh "chides...

Print selective datasets in report ... how do I get rid of the PopUp Window ?
Hello! I have a ListBox with the name IstCountry were several Countries are in which one can choose (0 to all). And I got a Button with a code behind, as follows... '------------------------------------------------------------------- Private Sub Command57_Click() Dim Element As Variant Dim Bedingung As String Dim Country As Variant 'Ist �berhaupt ein Eintrag markiert? If Me!IstCountry.ItemsSelected.Count = 0 Then Exit Sub 'Bedingung zusammenstellen For Each Element In Me!IstCountry.ItemsSelected Country = Me!IstCountry.ItemData(Element) Bedingung = Bedingung & "Country = " & Country & " OR " Next Element 'Rechtes OR abschneiden Bedingung = Left(Bedingung, Len(Bedingung) - 4) DoCmd.OpenReport ReportName:="Abfrage_issued_cheques_report_o_amount1", WhereCondition:=Bedingung, View:=acPreview End Sub '------------------------------------------------------------------- It all works pretty well .. BUT .. there is a PopUp Window after selecting a country that says "Enter parameter value" then there is the country as I marked it as header and a textfield below wher i have to type that selected country in again to get the report just for that certain contry. ....What do I do wrong? I want to get rid of that PopUp-Window of course, cause I thought all is properly selected, but as it seems, it is not. Any idea appreciated Greetings ...Nils ...

How to Get Rid of Message When Rebooting Windows XP Machine #2
My son aborted a software install on his Windows XP pc. Now he gets a message at reboot to mount this CD in his CD rom drive. Unfortunately he can't find this CD. He has tried everything he can think of including putting in a different CD in the CD rom drive. Nothing seems to work. Anyone have any ideas of how to get rid of this message. Thanks, Mike I would say that there is something in the registry that is hanging on to this aborted installation. Search for something unique about it and you will probably find it. WT "Mike" <pearl0602@comcast.net> wrote in message news:22a0957d.0408232112.20e3f3cb@posting.google.com... > My son aborted a software install on his Windows XP pc. Now he gets a > message at reboot to mount this CD in his CD rom drive. Unfortunately > he can't find this CD. He has tried everything he can think of > including putting in a different CD in the CD rom drive. Nothing seems > to work. Anyone have any ideas of how to get rid of this message. > > Thanks, > Mike Run regedit and search for Runonce, delete the values in these keys that relate to the software or have a path to your cdrom drive. There are several of these keys so after clear one hit F3 to find the next. Vern Davenport http://www.vernscomputerservices.com "Wayne Tiffany" <wayne.tiffanyRMVJUNK@asi.com> wrote in message news:<2p1629Ff4drdU1@uni-berlin.de>... > I would say that there is something in the registry...

Web resources about - How to get rid of spyware? - comp.windows.misc

Anti-Spyware Coalition
The (ASC) is a group dedicated to building a consensus about definitions and best practices in the debate surrounding spyware and other potentially ...

Free Virus Spyware Removal - Cash Advance - Debt Consolidation at Better-Spyware-Removal.com
Find Free Virus And Spyware Removal, Cash Advance and more at Better-Spyware-Removal.com. Get the best of Debt Consolidation or Insurance, browse ...

Cell phone spyware,Best spy phone tracking software
Best cell phone spyware, the cell phone spy software tracking works with almost every SmartPhone on the market as well as Blackberry models… ...

Spyware Hunter - Spyware news, cheats, and updates
Web designers and JavaScript coding errors that are inept at functioning with up-and-coming programming methods corresponds to serious threats ...

Spyware - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Spyware is a type of malware (malicious software) installed on computers that collects information about users without their knowledge. The presence ...

Spyware - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Spyware is a type of malware (malicious software) installed on computers that collects information about users without their knowledge. The presence ...

Defend Yourself From Deadly Spyware on the App Store on iTunes
Get Defend Yourself From Deadly Spyware on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Truth and Power - About The Issue: Spyware - YouTube
"Truth and Power" shines a light on government spyware – is it for battling against outside threats or a menace to those it "protects"? All New ...

US embeds spyware deep in foreign networks, Russian security firm says
Kaspersky identifies hacking group with techniques so sophisticated it is able to infect the very firmware of a machine — the code that allows ...

'Spyware' installed on rental laptops
... taking webcam images. An Australian business that rents out computers is installing software that a United States authority has labelled “spyware”. ...