HP IIIP Printer / compared to / HP 2300 ??

I have a small office in connection with my  business.  I have used  Hewlett
Packard  IIIP  for about 12 years.   It delivers a beautiful print, but is
worn out, and is really slow.

I bought a brand new HP 2300, which is a good, small printer, ideal for
business use.

Here is my problem:   While the print quality of the new printer is very
nice and high-quality laser print,  I just simply cannot get the same
"bold", deep  ,  almost-saturated print look that I had with my IIIP.   At
first, I thought that I just needed to adjust the density menu setting,
and/or the resolution setting.      Adjusting these settings just doesn't
produce the same good look that I had with the much older HP IIIP.

As I recall, the  HP IIIP   is   600 x 600 resolution.   The new 2300 is
1200 dpi resolution.   Of course, the print is crisp, and clear  (perfect),
but to me, the letters look  THIN.   That is the only way that I know to
describe it.     I changed the menu dpi setting down to  600  (and then
300),  but that did not do the trick for me.

I love the 2300 for its speed, and basic good laser quality.  I would be
elated if I could find a way to make the print characters have some  "meat"
on them, and not look so light and thin.

Is there anything that I am overlooking??   Any other ideas on this??

I looked for HP groups, or some better group within which to post this, but
could not find any better groups.  If anyone has a recommendation of another
group for more appropriate posting, I would appreciate it very much.

Thanks for any tips on this !!

--James--

0
jnipper1 (16)
9/11/2004 12:50:15 AM
comp.windows.misc 3202 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

James Nipper wrote:

> I have a small office in connection with my  business.  I have used
> Hewlett
> Packard  IIIP  for about 12 years.   It delivers a beautiful print, but is
> worn out, and is really slow.
>
> I bought a brand new HP 2300, which is a good, small printer, ideal for
> business use.
>
> Here is my problem:   While the print quality of the new printer is very
> nice and high-quality laser print,  I just simply cannot get the same
> "bold", deep  ,  almost-saturated print look that I had with my IIIP.   At
> first, I thought that I just needed to adjust the density menu setting,
> and/or the resolution setting.      Adjusting these settings just doesn't
> produce the same good look that I had with the much older HP IIIP.
>
> As I recall, the  HP IIIP   is   600 x 600 resolution.   The new 2300 is
> 1200 dpi resolution.   Of course, the print is crisp, and clear
> (perfect),
> but to me, the letters look  THIN.   That is the only way that I know to
> describe it.     I changed the menu dpi setting down to  600  (and then
> 300),  but that did not do the trick for me.
>
> I love the 2300 for its speed, and basic good laser quality.  I would be
> elated if I could find a way to make the print characters have some
> "meat" on them, and not look so light and thin.
>
> Is there anything that I am overlooking??   Any other ideas on this??
>
> I looked for HP groups, or some better group within which to post this,
> but
> could not find any better groups.  If anyone has a recommendation of
> another group for more appropriate posting, I would appreciate it very
> much.
>
> Thanks for any tips on this !!
>
> --James--
The toner on the newer printers is a much finer particle than the old ones
so its probably not going to be as thick, some of those old printers you
can run your hand across the paper and feel the print.
0
nospam76 (168)
9/10/2004 9:43:03 PM
Have you looked inside to see if there is a print density adjustment ?

Often inside where the toner is kept, is a dial for print density.  Usually it is set
midway.  You may want to increase it.  If it is NOT available it may be available via the
Print Driver.  Note, if you increase the print density, it will decrease the life of the
toner cart.

Dave

"James Nipper" <jnipper@nospam.fdn.com> wrote in message

| I have a small office in connection with my  business.  I have used  Hewlett
| Packard  IIIP  for about 12 years.   It delivers a beautiful print, but is
| worn out, and is really slow.
|
| I bought a brand new HP 2300, which is a good, small printer, ideal for
| business use.
|
| Here is my problem:   While the print quality of the new printer is very
| nice and high-quality laser print,  I just simply cannot get the same
| "bold", deep  ,  almost-saturated print look that I had with my IIIP.   At
| first, I thought that I just needed to adjust the density menu setting,
| and/or the resolution setting.      Adjusting these settings just doesn't
| produce the same good look that I had with the much older HP IIIP.
|
| As I recall, the  HP IIIP   is   600 x 600 resolution.   The new 2300 is
| 1200 dpi resolution.   Of course, the print is crisp, and clear  (perfect),
| but to me, the letters look  THIN.   That is the only way that I know to
| describe it.     I changed the menu dpi setting down to  600  (and then
| 300),  but that did not do the trick for me.
|
| I love the 2300 for its speed, and basic good laser quality.  I would be
| elated if I could find a way to make the print characters have some  "meat"
| on them, and not look so light and thin.
|
| Is there anything that I am overlooking??   Any other ideas on this??
|
| I looked for HP groups, or some better group within which to post this, but
| could not find any better groups.  If anyone has a recommendation of another
| group for more appropriate posting, I would appreciate it very much.
|
| Thanks for any tips on this !!
|
| --James--

0
David
9/11/2004 1:11:58 AM

No, I have not looked for a manual print density adjustment, but I will.
There is a  menu item for this and I adjusted to the highest setting, but
the print is still thin.

On Monday, I will look for a manual adjustment.

Thank You !!

--James--

----------------------------------

Have you looked inside to see if there is a print density adjustment ?

Often inside where the toner is kept, is a dial for print density.  Usually
it is set
midway.  You may want to increase it.  If it is NOT available it may be
available via the
Print Driver.  Note, if you increase the print density, it will decrease the
life of the
toner cart.

Dave

"James Nipper" <jnipper@nospam.fdn.com> wrote in message

| I have a small office in connection with my  business.  I have used
Hewlett
| Packard  IIIP  for about 12 years.   It delivers a beautiful print, but is
| worn out, and is really slow.
|
| I bought a brand new HP 2300, which is a good, small printer, ideal for
| business use.
|
| Here is my problem:   While the print quality of the new printer is very
| nice and high-quality laser print,  I just simply cannot get the same
| "bold", deep  ,  almost-saturated print look that I had with my IIIP.   At
| first, I thought that I just needed to adjust the density menu setting,
| and/or the resolution setting.      Adjusting these settings just doesn't
| produce the same good look that I had with the much older HP IIIP.
|
| As I recall, the  HP IIIP   is   600 x 600 resolution.   The new 2300 is
| 1200 dpi resolution.   Of course, the print is crisp, and clear
(perfect),
| but to me, the letters look  THIN.   That is the only way that I know to
| describe it.     I changed the menu dpi setting down to  600  (and then
| 300),  but that did not do the trick for me.
|
| I love the 2300 for its speed, and basic good laser quality.  I would be
| elated if I could find a way to make the print characters have some
"meat"
| on them, and not look so light and thin.
|
| Is there anything that I am overlooking??   Any other ideas on this??
|
| I looked for HP groups, or some better group within which to post this,
but
| could not find any better groups.  If anyone has a recommendation of
another
| group for more appropriate posting, I would appreciate it very much.
|
| Thanks for any tips on this !!
|
| --James--

0
jnipper1 (16)
9/11/2004 1:19:16 AM
James Nipper wrote:

> I have a small office in connection with my  business.  I have used  Hewlett
> Packard  IIIP  for about 12 years.   It delivers a beautiful print, but is
> worn out, and is really slow.
>
> I bought a brand new HP 2300, which is a good, small printer, ideal for
> business use.
>
> Here is my problem:   While the print quality of the new printer is very
> nice and high-quality laser print,  I just simply cannot get the same
> "bold", deep  ,  almost-saturated print look that I had with my IIIP.   At
> first, I thought that I just needed to adjust the density menu setting,
> and/or the resolution setting.      Adjusting these settings just doesn't
> produce the same good look that I had with the much older HP IIIP.
>
> As I recall, the  HP IIIP   is   600 x 600 resolution.   The new 2300 is
> 1200 dpi resolution.   Of course, the print is crisp, and clear  (perfect),
> but to me, the letters look  THIN.   That is the only way that I know to
> describe it.     I changed the menu dpi setting down to  600  (and then
> 300),  but that did not do the trick for me.
>
> I love the 2300 for its speed, and basic good laser quality.  I would be
> elated if I could find a way to make the print characters have some  "meat"
> on them, and not look so light and thin.
>
> Is there anything that I am overlooking??   Any other ideas on this??
>
> I looked for HP groups, or some better group within which to post this, but
> could not find any better groups.  If anyone has a recommendation of another
> group for more appropriate posting, I would appreciate it very much.
>
> Thanks for any tips on this !!
>
> --James--

The finer printing can be attributed to both the higher
resolution of the printer and the quality of the carbon
black used in the toner. But there may be a way to fool
the printer into believing that it is, not a HP IIIP but
a HP III, because the HP 2300 is backwards compatible to
HP's PCL4. Install the printer drivers for the HP III;
for straight printing with darker (or thicker) print,
select the HP III printer but route the printing job to
the HP 2300 (via the parallel port). The HP 2300 will
accept the PCL4 printer commands and emulate a HP III.

0
mistyfac01 (54)
9/11/2004 9:24:22 AM
On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 20:50:15 -0400, "James Nipper"
<jnipper@nospam.fdn.com> wrote:

>I have a small office in connection with my  business.  I have used  Hewlett
>Packard  IIIP  for about 12 years.   It delivers a beautiful print, but is
>worn out, and is really slow.
>
>I bought a brand new HP 2300, which is a good, small printer, ideal for
>business use.
>
>Here is my problem:   While the print quality of the new printer is very
>nice and high-quality laser print,  I just simply cannot get the same
>"bold", deep  ,  almost-saturated print look that I had with my IIIP.   At
>first, I thought that I just needed to adjust the density menu setting,
>and/or the resolution setting.      Adjusting these settings just doesn't
>produce the same good look that I had with the much older HP IIIP.
>
>As I recall, the  HP IIIP   is   600 x 600 resolution.   The new 2300 is
>1200 dpi resolution.   Of course, the print is crisp, and clear  (perfect),
>but to me, the letters look  THIN.   That is the only way that I know to
>describe it.     I changed the menu dpi setting down to  600  (and then
>300),  but that did not do the trick for me.
>
>I love the 2300 for its speed, and basic good laser quality.  I would be
>elated if I could find a way to make the print characters have some  "meat"
>on them, and not look so light and thin.
>
>Is there anything that I am overlooking??   Any other ideas on this??
>
>I looked for HP groups, or some better group within which to post this, but
>could not find any better groups.  If anyone has a recommendation of another
>group for more appropriate posting, I would appreciate it very much.
>
>Thanks for any tips on this !!
>
>--James--

You mentioned "600 X 600" resolution on your old HP111P, but the HPIII
that I 'retired' last year after 13 years was only 300 X 300; was
there that much difference between the III & the IIIP?  (By the way,
I've got two new printers, neither one as good as my old III, in every
respect.)

0
spring (1)
9/11/2004 9:34:05 AM
On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 05:34:05 -0400, E. Barry Bruyea <spring@fever.ca> wrote:

>On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 20:50:15 -0400, "James Nipper"
><jnipper@nospam.fdn.com> wrote:

<SNIP>
>You mentioned "600 X 600" resolution on your old HP111P, but the HPIII
>that I 'retired' last year after 13 years was only 300 X 300; was
>there that much difference between the III & the IIIP?  (By the way,
>I've got two new printers, neither one as good as my old III, in every
>respect.)

The LaserJet III and IIIp are vastly different printers with different shapes,
sizes, print engines and toner cartridges.  It's been a while since I used a
IIIp, but I don't seem to recall that it is capable of 600x600, unless it, like
the III, has a resolution enhancement feature which implements a bit of
anti-aliasing for sharper print.

My take is that the Laserjets at the low end, namely 1100, 1200, 1300, are
cheaply made hunks of plastic.  The 2000-series LaserJets seem a little better,
but to get the sturdiness and overall quality of a LaserJet III (or 4 or 5),
people need to pay as much for a laser printer today as they paid for the
original LJ3, namely over $US1000.  My LaserJet II gave many years of faithful
service and was well worth the $US1000+ I paid for it way back when.  Nobody,
but nobody, can expect any quality of workmanship or parts in a new laser
printer (any brand) with a sticker price of $US300 or less.  For my part, I am
sticking with a LaserJet 5M, another in the long line of true LaserJet
workhorses... Ben Myers

0
ben_myers_spam_me_no
9/11/2004 12:38:32 PM
Ben Myers wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 05:34:05 -0400, E. Barry Bruyea <spring@fever.ca>
> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 20:50:15 -0400, "James Nipper"
>><jnipper@nospam.fdn.com> wrote:
>>
> <SNIP>
>>You mentioned "600 X 600" resolution on your old HP111P, but the HPIII
>>that I 'retired' last year after 13 years was only 300 X 300; was
>>there that much difference between the III & the IIIP?  (By the way,
>>I've got two new printers, neither one as good as my old III, in every
>>respect.)
>>

> The LaserJet III and IIIp are vastly different printers with different
> shapes,
> sizes, print engines and toner cartridges.  It's been a while since I used
> a IIIp, but I don't seem to recall that it is capable of 600x600, unless
> it, like the III, has a resolution enhancement feature which implements a
> bit of anti-aliasing for sharper print.
>
> My take is that the Laserjets at the low end, namely 1100, 1200, 1300, are
> cheaply made hunks of plastic.  The 2000-series LaserJets seem a little
> better, but to get the sturdiness and overall quality of a LaserJet III
> (or 4 or 5), people need to pay as much for a laser printer today as they
> paid for the
> original LJ3, namely over $US1000.  My LaserJet II gave many years of
> faithful
> service and was well worth the $US1000+ I paid for it way back when.
> Nobody, but nobody, can expect any quality of workmanship or parts in a
> new laser
> printer (any brand) with a sticker price of $US300 or less.  For my part,
> I am sticking with a LaserJet 5M, another in the long line of true
> LaserJet workhorses... Ben Myers
Very true.  HP's biggest competitor in printers is HP.  You go in to a
customer and try to get them to buy new printers and they say their old 5,
4si, 4m, etc are all running fine why should they buy a new one.  Hp had to
get creative and add fancy features to the higher end and do studies
showing how the lower cost of toner for the new models would pay for
themselves over x # of months/years
0
nospam76 (168)
9/11/2004 1:23:58 PM
Ben Myers wrote:

<<snipped>>

> My take is that the Laserjets at the low end, namely 1100, 1200, 1300, are
> cheaply made hunks of plastic.  The 2000-series LaserJets seem a little better,
> but to get the sturdiness and overall quality of a LaserJet III (or 4 or 5),
> people need to pay as much for a laser printer today as they paid for the
> original LJ3, namely over $US1000.  My LaserJet II gave many years of faithful
> service and was well worth the $US1000+ I paid for it way back when.  Nobody,
> but nobody, can expect any quality of workmanship or parts in a new laser
> printer (any brand) with a sticker price of $US300 or less.  For my part, I am
> sticking with a LaserJet 5M, another in the long line of true LaserJet
> workhorses... Ben Myers

Agreed. But properly optioned HP LaserJets 2100, 2200 and
2300 are pretty good printers, with the LaserJet 2100 being
the direct descendant of the LaserJet 5M. Properly optioned:
at least 32 MB of RAM and the PostScript card. The price is
OK for the small business user (although the home user should
consider making a small investment and buy one for expected
years of excellent printing). My printers - the LaserJet 4M+
with 32 MB RAM, PS and Ethernet.

0
mistyfac01 (54)
9/11/2004 6:19:43 PM
"P" used to indicate posttscript, nothing else.

Mike

"E. Barry Bruyea" <spring@fever.ca> wrote in message
> On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 20:50:15 -0400, "James Nipper"
> <jnipper@nospam.fdn.com> wrote:
>

>>I have a small office in connection with my  business.  I have used
>>Hewlett
>>Packard  IIIP  for about 12 years.   It delivers a beautiful print, but is
>>worn out, and is really slow.
>>
>>I bought a brand new HP 2300, which is a good, small printer, ideal for
>>business use.
>>
>>Here is my problem:   While the print quality of the new printer is very
>>nice and high-quality laser print,  I just simply cannot get the same
>>"bold", deep  ,  almost-saturated print look that I had with my IIIP.   At
>>first, I thought that I just needed to adjust the density menu setting,
>>and/or the resolution setting.      Adjusting these settings just doesn't
>>produce the same good look that I had with the much older HP IIIP.
>>
>>As I recall, the  HP IIIP   is   600 x 600 resolution.   The new 2300 is
>>1200 dpi resolution.   Of course, the print is crisp, and clear
>>(perfect),
>>but to me, the letters look  THIN.   That is the only way that I know to
>>describe it.     I changed the menu dpi setting down to  600  (and then
>>300),  but that did not do the trick for me.
>>
>>I love the 2300 for its speed, and basic good laser quality.  I would be
>>elated if I could find a way to make the print characters have some
>>"meat"
>>on them, and not look so light and thin.
>>
>>Is there anything that I am overlooking??   Any other ideas on this??
>>
>>I looked for HP groups, or some better group within which to post this,
>>but
>>could not find any better groups.  If anyone has a recommendation of
>>another
>>group for more appropriate posting, I would appreciate it very much.
>>
>>Thanks for any tips on this !!
>>
>>--James--
>

> You mentioned "600 X 600" resolution on your old HP111P, but the HPIII
> that I 'retired' last year after 13 years was only 300 X 300; was
> there that much difference between the III & the IIIP?  (By the way,
> I've got two new printers, neither one as good as my old III, in every
> respect.)

0
wxyz09 (50)
9/11/2004 10:08:23 PM
No.
PS = PostScript.
P = personal like IIIp, 4p and 5p which sets them apart, the low volume lasers, from the
high volume units such as the IIIsi, 4si, 5si, 8000, 8100 and 8150.

But then again who can *really* figure out HP's product naming convention.  However, P <>
PostScript.

Dave

"Mike" <wxyz09@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:rHK0d.1372$lX.1169@trnddc04...
| "P" used to indicate posttscript, nothing else.
|
| Mike

0
David
9/11/2004 11:46:06 PM
James Nipper wrote:

> I have a small office in connection with my  business.  I have used  Hewlett
> Packard  IIIP  for about 12 years.   It delivers a beautiful print, but is
> worn out, and is really slow.
>
> I bought a brand new HP 2300, which is a good, small printer, ideal for
> business use.
>
> Here is my problem:   While the print quality of the new printer is very
> nice and high-quality laser print,  I just simply cannot get the same
> "bold", deep  ,  almost-saturated print look that I had with my IIIP.   At
> first, I thought that I just needed to adjust the density menu setting,
> and/or the resolution setting.      Adjusting these settings just doesn't
> produce the same good look that I had with the much older HP IIIP.
>
> As I recall, the  HP IIIP   is   600 x 600 resolution.   The new 2300 is
> 1200 dpi resolution.   Of course, the print is crisp, and clear  (perfect),
> but to me, the letters look  THIN.   That is the only way that I know to
> describe it.     I changed the menu dpi setting down to  600  (and then
> 300),  but that did not do the trick for me.
>
> I love the 2300 for its speed, and basic good laser quality.  I would be
> elated if I could find a way to make the print characters have some  "meat"
> on them, and not look so light and thin.
>
> Is there anything that I am overlooking??   Any other ideas on this??

Have you checked the toner setting to make sure you're not in Draft or
Toner Save mode? That will make a difference, but I understand your
point about thinner/lighter letters - same deal with the Brother MFC8220
I bought 2 months ago to replace a failing Samsung ML-1210 (which
replaced an HP LJ 5P Xtra (a crap printer IMHO) after only 4 years,
which replaced an HP LJ II - an incredible printer which cost $1750 (US)
in 1987, but which lasted 10 years).
0
nemo3931 (27)
9/12/2004 8:36:09 AM
In article <r82dnSw1z-BQ1t_cRVn-uQ@comcast.com>, jnipper@nospam.fdn.com
(James Nipper) says...

> Here is my problem:   While the print quality of the new printer is very
> nice and high-quality laser print,  I just simply cannot get the same
> "bold", deep  ,  almost-saturated print look that I had with my IIIP.   At
> first, I thought that I just needed to adjust the density menu setting,
> and/or the resolution setting.      Adjusting these settings just doesn't
> produce the same good look that I had with the much older HP IIIP.

I know what you are talking about.  The scaleable fonts are output in
dots, and the newer printers have a lot more delicate appearance.  I
don't know if there is any way to correct for that, other than selecting
a different font.  Does your new printer do PostScript?  You might try
the PS version of your font rather than TrueType.  You might also select
a bolder TrueType font that has an appearance closer to what you are
looking for.

> As I recall, the  HP IIIP   is   600 x 600 resolution.   The new 2300 is
> 1200 dpi resolution.   Of course, the print is crisp, and clear  (perfect),
> but to me, the letters look  THIN.   That is the only way that I know to
> describe it.     I changed the menu dpi setting down to  600  (and then
> 300),  but that did not do the trick for me.

The IIIP was 300 dpi with Resolution Enhancement Technology to anti-
alias the jaggies on curved letters.  Your 2300 will blow the IIIp out
of the water printing photos, but as you have discovered, is not much of
an improvement for text.

Congratulations on realizing that the per page costs of a laser printer
is minuscule compared to an inkjet.  I have an old IIIp, 3 megs of ram
and the PostScript cartridge just for fun.  I have lost count of the
cases of paper that have run through that printer, including acting for
3 years as a home office copy machine in conjunction with a ScanJet.  If
I need to print pictures, I use an inkjet.

--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc
0

HP 38G HP 39G HP 40G
Ho una calcolatrice HP 40G ma non riesco a trovare i programmi che mi servono. Uso qualche programma della HP 38G che converto per la HP 39/40G Avete programmi per statistica e matematica? Come posso inserire dei file di testo nella calcolatrice? Grazie Per risposte in privato TOGLIQUESTOcezanne76@tiscali.itTOGLIQUESTO ...

HP 38G HP 39G HP 40G
Ho una calcolatrice HP 40G ma non riesco a trovare i programmi che mi servono. Uso qualche programma della HP 38G che converto per la HP 39/40G Avete programmi per statistica e matematica? Come posso inserire dei file di testo nella calcolatrice? Grazie Per risposte in privato TOGLIQUESTOcezanne76@tiscali.itTOGLIQUESTO ...

HP 38G HP 39G HP 40G
Ho una calcolatrice HP 40G ma non riesco a trovare i programmi che mi servono. Uso qualche programma della HP 38G che converto per la HP 39/40G Avete programmi per statistica e matematica? Come posso inserire dei file di testo nella calcolatrice? Grazie Per risposte in privato TOGLIQUESTOcezanne76@tiscali.itTOGLIQUESTO ...

Problem while performing StretchBlt on HP 1010, HP 1018, HP 1020 and HP 3050
Our application uses Windows GDI library to perform rendering and display of data/output onto the devices such as Screen and Printer. While I am trying to print the data onto a series of printers (HP 1010, HP 1018, HP 1020 and HP 3050) I am facing a typical problem. Explaination ------------------ 1. Appropriate DC for the intended device is created [Printer DC created for a selected printer in this case] 2. The data is displayed onto the identified position onto the DC The details of data (fields) to be displayed and their position onto the DC is calculated before the prin...

Problem while performing StretchBlt on HP 1010, HP 1018, HP 1020 and HP 3050
Our application uses Windows GDI library to perform rendering and display of data/output onto the devices such as Screen and Printer. While I am trying to print the data onto a series of printers (HP 1010, HP 1018, HP 1020 and HP 3050) I am facing a typical problem. Explaination ------------------ 1. Appropriate DC for the intended device is created [Printer DC created for a selected printer in this case] 2. The data is displayed onto the identified position onto the DC The details of data (fields) to be displayed and their position onto the DC is calculated before the prin...

HPSBMA02596 SSRT100271 rev.1

FA HP HP 41C reader & misc
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=5781783395&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT The card reader will almost certainly suffer from "gummy wheel" syndrome, and will need to be repaired before it can be used. "Henry Kolesnik" <kolesnik@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:4Lere.520$ks4.225@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com... > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=5781783395&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT > > ...

OT: HP printers on Windows
Don't know if anyone cares, but I have 2 HP 256x printers working wonderfully under Windows. I used the Windows text driver and inserted some PCL commands to initialize the printer and set form sizes. All works great and it was a nice way of continuing to use some good 3k-type equipment in the windows world. If there is interest I can send more details to individuals or the list. ---- ALso, still have terminals, 2 2567 printers, 2 DTCs & 1 9-track tape drive available, all cheap in the DC Area (Tyson's Corner). -Franco * To join/leave the list, search arc...

HP HP Compaq
Hello My company is preparing to replace all our Dell SX270 SmallFormFactors. Because we use HP Proliant Servers I thought it would be a good idea to replace the Dell=92s with HP UltraSlim and/or SFF. Thus I started to look at current models, used models, refurbished models to get a feel on what HP offered new and old. I ended up reasonably confused. I have HP, HP Compaq, Proliant, Pavillion and so forth. To list a few I have HP DC7800, DC7900, HP 6200, HP Compaq 8200-8300 Elite, HP z220, HP Compaq 4000 and so forth. At least with Dell one can buy a SFF in one purchase area. With Hp the sales are generously scattered from one HP site to another HP site. I have no idea is HP and HP Compaq is one company? What I need to know so I can present to management should we consider buying be it used, refurbished, new for our business workstations HP or HP Compaq. I have studied the specs on all models and I see the progressive evolution. Xp to Vista to Windows 7 32 bit to 64 bit. The intel core, memory, sata drives. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks In article <2b0098dd-8393-4021-a90d-2a2d602ca84e@ih1g2000pbc.googlegroups.com>, Chuck McReynolds <ambcsc.archives@gmail.com> wrote: > I have no idea is HP and HP Compaq is one company? Compaq is a brand held by HP these days. -- May joy be yours all the days of your life! - Phina We are but a moment's sunlight, fading in the grass. - The Youngbloods Those who eat natural foods die...

HP LaserJet 2300 "feature": HP-only toner?
Our new HP LaserJet 2300n comes with this advertised feature: "The printer checks for authentic HP print cartridges". Does this mean what I think it means? Only HP toner cartridges are allowed? And HP considers this a feature to advertise, along with things like the page-per-minute speed and memory size? For what is worth, HP is not the only one who chipped its Toner. The good old days of taking the empty toner cartridge and drill a hole to fill toner are gone. You see, the chip has to be replaced each time the toner is rebuilt or refurb'd now. I think HP started with the LJ 1300, 2300, 4100, etc. There are litigations in different courts pit the OEM makers vs Reman'd toner vendors. I have heard some vendor's would allow non-OEM toner in its printer but the print speed will be less than half. Don't remember where I read that now. Dewaine ljb wrote: > Our new HP LaserJet 2300n comes with this advertised feature: "The printer > checks for authentic HP print cartridges". Does this mean what I think it > means? Only HP toner cartridges are allowed? And HP considers this a > feature to advertise, along with things like the page-per-minute speed and > memory size? I suggest that you talk to compatible suppliers and remanufacturers of 2300 cartridges, there is at least one supplier of chips that can replace the chip on the cartridge (very simple to replace). Remanufactured 2300 cartridges are def...

HP 3380 printer and HP toolbox installation on a small network
Hi, I wonder whether anyone can help with an installation problem concerning an HP Laserjet 3380 All-in-one printer/scanner/fax/copier. We have a small Windows network of 5 PCs and have installed the 3380 as a network connected device by means of an HP Jetdirect 300X print server. 2 PCs in the office function correctly, using the HP toolbox (HTML based) software which enables the fax and scan-to-email functionality. 3 machines however fail to connect to the printer when Toolbox is run. The browser window shows a standard DNS error message "The page cannot be displayed". On the machines which don't work, the page the HP toolbox tries to connect with is "http://127.0.0.1:5225/ToolboxManager/deviceRegistry". This results in a DNS error. The machines that work also connect to the above page, which then redirects to: "http://127.0.0.1:5225/Toolbox2.7/controller/deviceMultiLineStatusDevice/169.254.204.149/DeviceContent.jsp?device=169.254.204.149&cat=0&pos=0" Any ideas on how to resolve this? I've tried uninstalling then reinstalling the software, but that just stopped the printing functionality from working, so I was in a worse state than before. Any ideas appreciated. ...

hp
I have - hope sometime not so long ago, to say: "I had" - an hp pavillion zv5290ea. Some time - 8 months ( could you beleive it? ) - my dvd drive has gone away. I've done a million of calls to hp support center and they didn't change my drive neither wanted to see it. I also have a hp printer, that does not work well, it always has printing problems. A friend of mine told me that hp is going to be splited again into hp and compaq. Could this be true? ...

Ghostscript on HP Inkjet printer, under Windows
I found a page about IJS drivers for HP inkjet printer, to be used with Ghostscript under Linux: http://hpinkjet.sourceforge.net/ Is it possible use them to do quality Postscript printing with Ghostscript under Microsoft Windows ? ** Reply to message from "Jean Delori" <jean.delori@free.fr> on Sat, 19 Mar 2005 20:46:48 +0100 Saturday, March 19, 2005 > Is it possible use them to do quality Postscript printing with Ghostscript > under Microsoft Windows ? Yes. I do this with GS for my DOS programs (and for Star Office 7 and 8 when I need to print Type 1 fonts to my HP842c)--although I generally do not use the IJS with Windows. I have GSView installed and spool the PS file to for handling by GSprint using a file called PrintFile. Phil =========================== (Rev.) Philip Griffin-Allwood, Ph.D. Supply Minister, St. Andrew's United Church, Halifax, N.S. drphil@eastlink.ca http://users.eastlink.ca/~standrewsunited ...

** wanted HP 150, HP 125 microcomputers also need hp 2645, 2640, 2644 or other old HP terminals
wanted HP 150, HP 125 microcomputers also need hp 2645, 2640, 2644 or other old HP terminals Thanks Ed Sharpe archivist for SMECC Please check our web site at http://www.smecc.org to see other engineering fields, communications and computation stuff we buy, and by all means when in Arizona drop in and see us. address: coury house / smecc 5802 w palmaire ave glendale az 85301 * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html * ...

Printer addendum for HP printer

HP 8750 printer & Windows 7
Running it as a wired network printer and having problems after going to the driver that comes with Windows 7. If I try to print 8.5 by 11 (or probably any other size) borderless the printer comes up an says that the paper is too small. In short, if I choose Borderless photo 8.5 by 11 photo paper it shows that they size will be 11.14 by 8.73 thus the printer thinks my normal 8.5 by 11 is too small. If anyone has this combination of printer and OS please give it a try and post the results. Happy Holidays, Don On 12/24/2009 6:37 PM, IGot2P wrote: > Running it as a wire...

FA: HP-71B + accessories, HP-41C CCD module, HP-16C
See all auctions here: http://www.29f.de/auct.htm Best regards and Merry Christmas TB ...

Replacement Parts HP AC/dc ADAPTER 0957-2144 for All-in-one HP PSC 2355 printer
Replacement Parts Services Inquiry HP AC/dc ADAPTER 0957-2144 for All-in-one HP PSC 2355 printer. I tried the HP directly but from them I got only useless links. Any suggestion as to where it's possible to get it will be appreciated. TIA McCorkindale wrote: > Replacement Parts Services Inquiry HP AC/dc ADAPTER 0957-2144 > for All-in-one HP PSC 2355 printer. I tried the HP directly but from > them I got only useless links. Any suggestion as to where it's > possible to get it will be appreciated. > > TIA eBay ~$16.00 "Fr...

HP 49g or HP 48gx
I am an HP 48gx owner, and now I have oportunity to swop it for HP 49g(non plus). I know that 48gx has equation library and good keyboard. 49g is newly and has more memory, but it has rubber keyboard. Is it worthy to swop? "Beto" <beto_z_o.Borra_Esto@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:33dk7kF3tv77jU1@individual.net... > Marijan wrote: >> I am an HP 48gx owner, and now I have oportunity to swop it for HP >> 49g(non >> plus). >> I know that 48gx has equation library and good keyboard. 49g is newly and >> has more >> memory, but it has ...

HP Printers
I have a question related to HP printers: I was wondering if it is possible to upgrade the Embedded Web Server on HP Printers? I don't know this is possible or done with firmware!? The reason I'm asking is the web interface we have for some of our 8150 printers is very basic [I'm guessing fairly old too]. Some of our newer printers [2300s] have really useful tracking stats for toner, paper stats, email alerts etc and we were wanting to get this info on all our printers... Would appreciate any help... Thanks, Mikel ...

HP printer
Have good HP deskjet 1120c printer. Bought new computer with Win XP. No driver available for 1120c for Xp. Need to replace printer. I print on heavy photo paper and card stock. Up to 90# paper stock. Any recommendations? Bought a Canon i850. Instruction book says only up to 29# paper. Returning this to dealer. Can not find a phone number to call Hp for info on printers. Web sites do not mention paper weights. Canon want $9.99 on top of long distance call to get info. SCREW CANON. Any replies appreciated. warren weber wrote: > Have good HP deskjet 1120c printer. Bought new computer with Win XP. No > driver available for 1120c for Xp. Need to replace printer. I print on > heavy photo paper and card stock. Up to 90# paper stock. Any > recommendations? Bought a Canon i850. Instruction book says only up to 29# > paper. Returning this to dealer. Can not find a phone number to call Hp > for info on printers. Web sites do not mention paper weights. Canon want > $9.99 on top of long distance call to get info. SCREW CANON. Any replies > appreciated. > > > http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/cposupport/get_doc.pl?SNI=dj1120&LC=printers&Tfile=bpd09005 ...

HP p6370t and HP p6310t
Both systems being sold at Costco and would be interested in hearing from any one who purchased one as to good/bad experience. TIA ...

HP 7760 and HP 970cxi
Should I turn my printers off if I'm not going to be using them today or for the next 8 hours? PJ PJX wrote: > Should I turn my printers off if I'm not going to be using them today > or for the next 8 hours? > > PJ > > > I'd turn the 970 off. The 970 draws 4 watts on, 2 watts off. Not a lot of wasted power but it might extend the power supply life or give added protection against lighting/surge strikes. I don't know about the 7760. PJX wrote: >Should I turn my printers off if I'm not going to be using them today >or for the next 8 hours? From a life expectancy point of view, it doesn't really matter. The biggest killer of electronic components is thermal expansion. Turning on and off repeatedly will cycle electronic devices through heating and cooling which eventually damages them. If the printer is left powered on, this is not an issue. But gentle heating and cooling, like being off for 8 hours, is generally not a big deal. As for ink clogging, if the printer is unused for about a minute, the printheads are parked to prevent them from drying out and becoming clogged. One thing to watch though, is to make sure you turn the printer off with its power button if you have it plugged into a power bar. This will make sure the heads are parked before losing power. My printer has a 30 minute auto-off feature and I have it enabled. PJX wrote: > Should I turn my printer...

hp printer
Hello i'm a newbie who just installed redhat 9 on my system yesterday. i'm trying to get my printer running. it's a hp psc 1210 all-in-one. USB connection. Under gnome print manager there is a printer, the queue is "printer" the type is locally-connected, dev/lp0 and dev/usb/lp0 are both listed. under printer manufacture and model hp psc 2210 are picked and the driver listed is HPIJS. when I print from any aplication the job does not show up in the queue. Thanks in advance for any help. ...

Web resources about - HP IIIP Printer / compared to / HP 2300 ?? - comp.windows.misc

Compared To Yahoo And Formspring, Is Facebook A Secure Network?
Facebook may play fast and loose with most of your personal information , but at least it has never had a major password breach — like Yahoo ...

Boston Globe sells for $70 million. Not much compared to...
The NYT sold the Boston Globe to the owner of the Boston Red Sox for $70 million . HootSuite, a Twitter and Facebook utility, raised $165 million ...

Why do so many MIT grads wear their class ring, compared to other colleges?
Answer (1 of 4): I've asked fellow graduates why they wear their ring, and their answers can be fit into a few buckets: pride, conversation piece, ...

Kristaps Porzingis Dream Shake Compared to Hakeem Olajuwon's - YouTube
Check out Kristap Porzingis's dream shake side by side with The Dream himself Hakeem Olajuwon. About the NBA: The NBA is the premier professional ...

Medium SUVs compared
We pit nine of the best-selling SUVs against each other.

7-seaters compared: Kia v Honda v Peugeot v Fiat v Subaru (06:38)
We test the latest sub-$40,000 seven-seat people movers to see which one is best in class.

WA on its own compared to other states
WA on its own compared to other states

Australian minister Barnaby Joyce dismisses red meat-cancer link, says processed meat shouldn't be compared ...
Australia's Agricultural Minister believes that the World Health Organisation's claim that processed meat can cause cancer is a “farce.”

Planhacker: iPhone 4S Australian Launch Pricing Compared
Optus, Telstra, Vodafone and Virgin Mobile have all announced their contract launch pricing for the iPhone 4S, which goes on sale this Friday ...

Louis CK compared Donald Trump to Hitler in email to fans
... to Republican presidential frontrunner Donald Trump. In a lengthy screed — more than 1400 words — the Emmy award-winning comedian compared Trump ...