My hard disc locked

I've got two hard discs, one is for my system and one is for the
data.( both of them are in NTFS format)
few days ago, my system went down and I wanted to install format and
install windows98 to drive C.(I used XP before)
Unluckily, I can't install Windows 98 into Drive C(looks like it's not
competitible w/ NTFS)
So I installed XP afterwerds. After that, My Drive D turned to RAW
format, I can't open drive D's data. The windows said that I haven't
format the D drive ant when I use the fdisk, it can't identify my
drive D's format.
There are twenty-something giabytes of IMPORTENT DATA.
Plz help me!
comp.windows.misc 3202 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

On 19 Feb 2004 02:18:34 -0800, antony617hk@yahoo.com.hk (antony617)
wrote:

>I've got two hard discs, one is for my system and one is for the
>data.( both of them are in NTFS format)
>few days ago, my system went down and I wanted to install format and
>install windows98 to drive C.(I used XP before)
>Unluckily, I can't install Windows 98 into Drive C(looks like it's not
>competitible w/ NTFS)
>So I installed XP afterwerds. After that, My Drive D turned to RAW
>format, I can't open drive D's data. The windows said that I haven't
>format the D drive ant when I use the fdisk, it can't identify my
>drive D's format.
>There are twenty-something giabytes of IMPORTENT DATA.
>Plz help me!

I found this in a different group:

>Bednarek <mb at mbednarek dot com> wrote:

>NTFSDOS Professional:
><http://www.wininternals.com/products/repairandrecovery/index.asp>
------------------------

HTH
Geo

0
Me8734 (184)
2/19/2004 7:52:52 PM
oh and btw  windows 95, 98  uses  FAT32
while windows 2000 , XP uses NTFS

"bob shiply" <dsd@aol.com> wrote in message
> is the important data on the 2nd hard drive or 1st ( C:) ??
>
> if so  unplug the IDE cable from the data hard drive format the 1st drive
> install windows.  after all thats done turn off power plug the 2nd (data)
> drive back in  and reboot .
>
> =-)
> "GEO" <Me@home.here> wrote in message
> > On 19 Feb 2004 02:18:34 -0800, antony617hk@yahoo.com.hk (antony617)
> > wrote:
> >
> > >I've got two hard discs, one is for my system and one is for the
> > >data.( both of them are in NTFS format)
> > >few days ago, my system went down and I wanted to install format and
> > >install windows98 to drive C.(I used XP before)
> > >Unluckily, I can't install Windows 98 into Drive C(looks like it's not
> > >competitible w/ NTFS)
> > >So I installed XP afterwerds. After that, My Drive D turned to RAW
> > >format, I can't open drive D's data. The windows said that I haven't
> > >format the D drive ant when I use the fdisk, it can't identify my
> > >drive D's format.
> > >There are twenty-something giabytes of IMPORTENT DATA.
> > >Plz help me!
> >
> > I found this in a different group:

> > >Bednarek <mb at mbednarek dot com> wrote:
> >

> > >NTFSDOS Professional:
> > ><http://www.wininternals.com/products/repairandrecovery/index.asp>
> > ------------------------
> >
> > HTH
> > Geo

0
dsd7791 (10)
2/20/2004 2:16:04 AM
To bob shiply:

I've done wt u've said,
The windows XP still can't identify Drive D, It said it's in RAW
format, requesting me to format it. I didn't formatted it during
trying to install the Win98, so i belive that my data is still there.
p.s.My important data is in drive D

The 'perfect' Mint 13 slopware was hard-locking every half hour; after "fix" it hard-locks only twice per day
"I went back to the original computer that I was working on, ACER Timeliinex 1830T-6651 and "Menu" "Control Center" "Mouse" "Touchpad" and unchecked the box that says "Disable touchpad while typing". TA - DA!! problem solved, well, not quite. Just doesn't freeze up nearly as often. Maybe twice a day now, whereas before, once every 30 minutes or so. I see a lot of posts like this now. Some with Intel i5 with intergrated graphics like me. Hope it gets fixed soon." http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=104880 Hope? A wise cola poster once said "Hope is what replaces action when you run out of ideas" MS is doomed. ...

Linux crapware: any browser hard-locks entire system... Windows 10 has never frozen
"Running any browser freeze my Ubuntu I am running dual boot Windows10/Ubuntu 14.04.3 on an old desktop and have been using Firefox an Chromium as my browsers. Now as soon as I start Firefox the computer freeze and I have to shut it down the hard way to get out of the freeze. With Chromium I can browse some seconds but then the same happens. .... Windows 10 is running OK on the old HW so I think Ubuntu should be able to as well" .... "It is running in a dual boot with Windows10 (which have never frozen)..." #1 and #10 out of 12 at http://ubuntuforums.org...

Windows screensaver lock
Hello All, I searched for this here and the web - still in the dark....I may be asking the wrong questions I need to lock an access database after X mins for privacy reasons and using the simplest method I set the screen saver to lock a after x mins of inactivity - no problem there. However, once I log back in, my access database is not usable and unresponsive. (Access 2003 & XP, split database on a network) - This may be a network issue rather than an access one, and I wondered if there is a better/more stable way of dealing with the issue from Access so I don't damage the access front end. Many thanks John On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 11:27:06 -0700 (PDT), flymo <fly_mo@hotmail.com> wrote: Closing the Access session may be a better strategy: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/210297 -Tom. Microsoft Access MVP >Hello All, >I searched for this here and the web - still in the dark....I may be >asking the wrong questions > >I need to lock an access database after X mins for privacy reasons and >using the simplest method I set the screen saver to lock a after x >mins of inactivity - no problem there. However, once I log back in, >my access database is not usable and unresponsive. (Access 2003 & XP, >split database on a network) - > >This may be a network issue rather than an access one, and I wondered >if there is a better/more stable way of dealing with the issue from >Access so I don't damage the access front end. >...

Hard disc recovery
I have a SCSI 120Gb hard disk that was accidently re-partitioned can anyone recommend a suitable tool to un partition the drive so I can recover the files on it ? Thanks On 3 Apr, 22:45, "freddy" <dsd....@hehg.com> wrote: > I have a SCSI 120Gb hard disk that was accidently re-partitioned can anyone > recommend a suitable tool to un partition the drive so I can recover the > files on it ? > > Thanks Hi freddy, Ouch! Bad luck. Thoughts that spring to mind are: -Dump an image of the drive 'as is' before you do anything else... ....mind you 120gb is go...

Hard disc recovery
I had a somewhat strange experience today with a hard drive. Some months ago I decided to upgrade the hard drive on my PC from 100GB to 160GB. The drives were formatted to NTFS. I used the now spare 100GB drive in my Risc PC, initialising it with my Unipod, where it has been used since February this year. As the 100GB was a bit over the top and the PC again needed more space, I reverted the Risc PC to its original 10GB drive and put the 100GB drive - still with all the Risc PC stuff on it - back into the PC, as a slave to the other drive. When I turned the PC on, it went into a half hour ...

Hard Disc linking
Hi, I have just installed a second hard disc (with no links, = slave) and all works perfectly. I had to work out whether the boot disc was configured as a Master or as Drive select so I checked the documentation that came with the disc many years ago. I was surprised as to how the boot disc is configured. All works well was I didn't alter anything but I am left curious. The boot disc is a Maxtor 5T030H3 and is linked as follows; Link between Pins 1 and 6 Link between Pins 2 and 3 X = Pin O = No Pin 1 2 3 4 5 X X X O X X X X X X 6 7 ...

SCSI Hard Disc
My Seagate SCSI HD hasn't run up and the tally light is pulsing. Disappeared off setup, too. Is it toast - or is their anything I can try? Luckily I only use it for temporary audio files so nothing important on it. I ran a test on it just the other day and it reported ok. Perhaps coincidence? -- *There's no place like www.home.com * Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW To e-mail, change noise into sound. In article <4d1b9717e5dave@davenoise.co.uk>, Dave Plowman (News) <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote: > My Seagate SCSI HD hasn't run up and the tally light is > pulsing. Disappeared off setup, too. Is it toast - or is their > anything I can try? ... Is it reported as present when you do *Devices? Brian. -- ______________________________________________________________ Brian Carroll, Ripon, North Yorkshire, UK bric at f2s dot com ______________________________________________________________ In article <4d1c16edfcbric-nospam@argonet.co.uk>, Brian Carroll <bric-nospam@argonet.co.uk> wrote: > > My Seagate SCSI HD hasn't run up and the tally light is > > pulsing. Disappeared off setup, too. Is it toast - or is their > > anything I can try? ... > Is it reported as present when you do *Devices? No. -- *I yell because I care Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW To e-mail, change noise into sound. In article &...

Hard disc scratch
My teenage son has a habit of restarting his laptop when the system (frequently) hangs by removing the battery. Now there appears to be a problem on the hard disc. Durning the execution of Scandisk, the scan reaches around 86% and then stops. It just stays there until the system is rebooted. We can get the machine to operate by rebooting and bypassing scandisk. But certain operations, e.g. trying to delete a particular file, cause the system to hang. I guess the cause is that there is some kind of scratch on the disc when he removed the battery once too often. But I am surprised that Scandisk can't overcome this. Anyone know of any utility that can perhaps put the bad sectors into an "envelope" so that they are simply ignored by the system ? Salvador Freemanson wrote: > My teenage son has a habit of restarting his laptop when the system > (frequently) hangs by removing the battery. > > Now there appears to be a problem on the hard disc. > Durning the execution of Scandisk, the scan reaches around 86% and > then stops. It just stays there until the system is rebooted. > > We can get the machine to operate by rebooting and bypassing scandisk. > But certain operations, e.g. trying to delete a particular file, cause > the system to hang. > > I guess the cause is that there is some kind of scratch on the disc > when he removed the battery once too often. But I am surprised that > Scandisk can't overcome this. ...

Hard Disc on Iyonix
The hard disc on my Iyonix has started to produce 'Disc error 13 at ...' messages. I need to purchase a replacement drive of the same or similar type so that I can have them both connected at the same time to copy stuff from the original to the new drive. What is it that I should purchase please? DIscKnight gives the map a clean bill so I'll do nothing to the existing HDD until I've copied it all off (and made a backup first). On 14 May 2012, svrsig <chris@svrsig.org> wrote: [snip] > DIscKnight gives the map a clean bill so I'll do nothing to the > existing ...

Foreground window and lock
Hello, I have to set a window into the foreground in a timer. It works fine. But if the station is locked, it doesn't work anymore :-( Is it normal ? Thanks in advance. "michael" <mike@nospam.com> wrote in message news:41f0f310$0$25771$626a14ce@news.free.fr... > Hello, > > I have to set a window into the foreground in a timer. > It works fine. > But if the station is locked, it doesn't work anymore :-( > Is it normal ? Not sure about that... but it may well be an optimisation. But are you sure you really want timer base...

Windows on Hard Drives
Now here is. Western Digital are selling Hard Drives with Windows already on them!:- http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/01/05/1952209&from=rss http://www.wdraptorx.com/ On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 23:06:53 +0000, B Gruff wrote: > Now here is. Western Digital are selling Hard Drives with Windows already > on them!:- > > http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/01/05/1952209&from=rss > > http://www.wdraptorx.com/ Well I usually detest Lienix advocates as much as I detest Moonies, but in this case I agree. FWIW WD is a crooked company. When you run ...

Windows lock in worries
Windows 'Lock-In' Worries Peter Galli June 07 2004 Microsoft Corp.'s plans for a common set of services that promise its server platform products will work better together are being met with skepticism. [...] "This is yet another Microsoft move to make its 'latest and greatest' products work best together at the expense of older versions and to facilitate greater lock-in for us," said an IT manager who requested anonymity. [...] Brian Riley, senior programmer and analyst at a large U.S. health care services company, has no interest in an HPC offering from M...

A3010 Hard disc
Hi. Know this is a tall order but does anyone have an IDE interface for the A3010 which I could use to connect a hard disc to the machine? Also, I need a user port on the expansion card. I dont need a hard disc, I have two in an A7000 and I could take one for this. Know it wont fit, but neatness doesnt really matter. I just need the inteface. Alternatively does anyone have an expansion card of any sort whatsoever for an A7000 with a user port on it? I really dont care what it is so long as theres a user port (for an external control box I want to get working for a model railway). If anyone ...

Replacement Hard Disc
I have a RISC PC 600 with RISC OS 3.6. The current hard disc appears to have failed with hard errors. I have been unable to find out what the maximum hard disc size that I can fit is - I've been unable to run HForm (I've tried several versions) with a 40Gb HD. So, some questions: What is the maximum size HD that I can add with the current OS and what version of HForm would I use? Can I just add some spare 3.7 ROMs I have and would it make any difference? Where can I get a very small HD if the answer to the above is less than about 18Gb (the smallest I can make available)? What upg...

Hard Disc size on A7000+
Apologies in advance as I ought to know this but tis 7 years since last worked with. What is the maximum usable hard disc size for an A7000+ RO3.71 please? -- |) [ |)ryn [vans mail to - bryn@bryork.com http://www.bryork.com In message <bb9fa8704d.Bryn@Yo.rk> Bryn Evans <d@a.invalid> wrote: > > Apologies in advance as I ought to know this but tis 7 years since > last worked with. > > What is the maximum usable hard disc size for an A7000+ RO3.71 please? In practice, 8GB is the biggest sensible. -- Peter Naulls - peter@chocky.org...

Second hard disc questions
I've been using a second hard drive on an Ultra 5 (Sol 10) for a while [1], but am setting up an x86 box (Sol 10) to use instead and would like to move the disc from one machine to the other whilst keeping the data intact. I've a couple of questions. 1) Is it ok to move a UFS formatted disc from Sparc to x86? Does it work? 2) Are entries in /dev/dsk automatically created when discs are detected or do I have to manually add entries? Peter [1] The ultra 5's graphics output has gone wibbly, an IDE channel died a while back and there were 'motherboard' warnings popping up o...

About the Linux freezes and hard-locks
It seems there's sometimes a problem when you run <insert distro> on AMD 32 bit or 64 bit with or without ATI hardware and drivers, or with or without nVidia hardware and drivers, or when you run <insert distro> on Intel 32 bit or 64 bit with or without ATI hardware and drivers or with or without nVidia hardware and drivers. With or without IDE drives, or with or without SATA drives, or with or without SSD drivers. With 1gb or 2gb or 4gb or 8gb of RAM. With acpi enabled or disabled. With onboard sound enabled or disabled. With or without RAID, right after you boot, after boot but before the system is warmed up, at idle, under load, every 1,2,3,4,5,10,15,20 minutes, every half hour, every hour, every couple of hours, every day, every couple of days, every week, when you move the mouse, when you move a window, when you open a 2nd window, when you copy a file, when you browse YouTube, with compiz running, without compiz running, because of Google Earth, with ntfs partitions, without ntfs partitions, during a torrent download, using or not using Inkscape, Firefox, Iceweasel, etc. The slopware crashes across the whole spectrum of hardware and software configurations and user activities. There's nothing common to all the hundreds and hundreds of pages of forum complaints - except a *very* crappy, untested pile of code masquerading as an "operating system". DFS wrote: > It seems there's sometimes a problem when...

Angst over Iyonix hard disc
First sorry for posting here but because of my posting address I can't easily post to mail lists. Today I was informed of an error during the execution of the boot sequence. After acknowledging the message I went on to boot most of the system but only 1 icon was on the pin board. I went on to find DiscKnight, and did eventually a repair with an undo. This took a time, found several errors, about 50, which it said it had repaired. I went on to do another check, which said there were even more, over a hundred. I did another repair, or at least started it, but it hung at some point. ...

Hard Disc For IBM T20
A mate is offering my his IBM T20 for sale very cheaply. My only reservation is that the hard disc installed is 6Gb. can anyone tell me where the cheapest place in UK is to get a 2nd hand hard disc (12Gb or more). Does it need to be IBM branded or are laptop hard diskcs interchangeable? Regards Steve Fisher Steve F wrote: > A mate is offering my his IBM T20 for sale very cheaply. Well grab it then. T2x series are fine machines. I would prfer my T20 any new cheap laptop - regardless of price difference. > My only reservation is that the hard disc installed is 6Gb. > > can anyone tell me where the cheapest place in UK is to get a 2nd hand > hard disc (12Gb or more). > > Does it need to be IBM branded or are laptop hard diskcs > interchangeable? They're interchangeable. The T20 will support any size (capacity) currently available. all you hae to watch out for is that the replacement is no more than 9.5mm in height. I'd like to have a laptop, mostly for coding/programming purposes, so I need something powerful. 1. Which processor should I choose? Pentium-M (Dothan), P-4 with Hyperthrading or AMD-64 ? 2. I don't like desktop-replacement laptops as I'll be traveling a lot. Is there any laptops with a good balance between power (for coding) and mobility ? Which laptops are you suggesting? Thanks Where is the cheapest place in UK for laptop hard disks? Regards Steve > I'd like to have a laptop, mostly for codi...

Lock window size in gvim
I usually have the taglist plugin's window on the right side. When i do 'vs foo.c' the taglist window changes width so that all 3 windows are equal width. I want the taglist window to maintain its width at all times. Is there a way to do fix a particular windows size and position? Yahya Farooq wrote: > I usually have the taglist plugin's window on the right side. When i do > 'vs foo.c' the taglist window changes width so that all 3 windows are > equal width. I want the taglist window to maintain its width at all > times. Is there a way to do fix a...

Struggling with an A3000 + Hard Disc
Hello! I'm struggling with getting a hard disc to function in my A3000. The specifications are as follows: Acorn A3000, 4MB Memory, RISCOS 3.11, Castle Technologies IDE Mini-podule. I have the following hard drives available: =========================================== (1) IBM Model DVAA-2810, 810MB, 1571 Cylinders, 16 Heads, 63 Sectors/track. (Taken working from a Fujitsu ICL Ergolite S) (2) Toshiba HDD2910, 2167MB, 4200 Cylinders, 16 Heads, 63 Sectors/track. (Taken from a working Apple PowerMac G3 WallStreet) (3) IBM DBOA-2540, 540MB, 1050 Cylinders, 16 Heads, 63 Sectors/track. (T...

Hard Disc Problem
Further to my recent thread on a failed hard disc, I have now aquired a near identical disc and have connected it up to test it/format it and found it displayed the same fault as the original. This leads me to think I have a fault on my SARPC. When I reinstalled the previously used disc it worked normally. System SARPC 4.02 + unipod. Hard disc (faulty?) Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 120GB ATA/133 HDD Replacement Hard Disc - Identical Old working disc - 4GB - working (I don't want to dismantle it to find any other details unless necessary) I have a unipod with a CDrom drive - working - ...

SCSI Hard Disc #2
Can I confirm that an HD should spin up if powered, but the SCSI bus not plugged in? -- *You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive * Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW To e-mail, change noise into sound. On 12 Dec 2004 "Dave Plowman (News)" <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote: > Can I confirm that an HD should spin up if powered, but the SCSI bus not > plugged in? Usually. ---druck -- The ARM Club Free Software - http://www.armclub.org.uk/free/ The 32bit Conversions Page - http://www.quantumsoft.co.uk/druck/ ...

Speed of USB hard discs
We have a little USB hard drive (well, 160GB actually) which works OK on the Iyonix and the BeagleBoard. On the Iyonix when you plug it in the machine hourglasses for ages before popping the drive onto the iconbar. Writing large numbers of files to the drive is quite slow: not very much faster than writing to a floppy, it sometimes seems. On the BeagleBoard the drive pops onto the iconbar almost instantly and writing speed is perfectly acceptable. What I'd like to know is why there is such a big difference, and whether there are OS settings I can tweak on the Iyonix to improve the situ...

Web resources about - My hard disc locked - comp.windows.misc

Locked-in syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Locked-in syndrome , or LIS for short, is a condition in which a patient is aware and awake but cannot move or communicate verbally due to complete ...

Facebook Menlo Park HQ Locked Down After Threat
It was a scary hour-and-a-half or so at Facebook’s headquarters in Menlo Park , Calif., Tuesday night, as the San Jose Mercury News reported ...

Life Locked (@Life_Locked) on Twitter
Log in Sign up You are on Twitter Mobile because you are using an old version of Internet Explorer. Learn more here Life Locked @ Life_Locked ...

room escape LOCKED ROOM2 on the App Store on iTunes
Get room escape LOCKED ROOM2 on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

locked up - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Explore mournjargon's photos on Flickr. mournjargon has uploaded 1408 photos to Flickr.

Dogfight - Locked Greek Mirage Crash Over Aegean Sea - YouTube
This is a video captured from a tv documentary. Incident took place at the beginning of 90s, it was a Greek mirage, and it crashed to aegean ...

The Russia-Iran-Turkey energy triangle – old enemies locked in a power embrace
The three countries are locked in an embrace over energy, while Tehran and Moscow eye each other suspiciously over oil, gas and historical rivalries. ...

Newtown Court locked down after alleged Camperdown killer 'tries to flee'
The man accused of a stabbing murder in Sydney&rsquo;s inner west last night has allegedly tried to escape from Newtown Local Court.

Father of snatched girl says he was locked up
The father of a girl snatched in Egypt by her Victorian mother after a custody dispute has alleged he had been kept locked up on a yacht off ...

Davis Cup, Australia v US: Tomic, Isner win, tie locked at 1-1
Bernard Tomic cannot recall everything Lleyton Hewitt was telling him at the changeovers late in a tense, draining four-set Davis Cup win over ...