PC freezes on start up, can't restore, can't install

Help!
Just to clarify what we have so far;
We have a eMachines P4 2.2ghz 80gb hd 256mb ram 64mb graps. Running xp
sp1 we have a multimedia keyboard
On start up the pc had been flashing up a "hotkey keyboard" icon in
the menu bar at the bottom of the desktop, it went away almost
immediately and carried on booting up, recently it was staying there
and freezing the pc, we unplugged the speakers and the games pad and
it seemed to do the job, it worked ok for about 6 weeks, then the icon
stayed on...freezing the pc and making the monitor black out! We could
manually switch the pc off by holding the button in, rebooting and on
the second time of asking the pc would boot up ok! a week ago it would
freeze and not continue no matter how many time we re-booted.

So what have we done about it.... I have started in safe mode and
disabled ALL of the start up programs in MSCONFIG including
hotkey.exe. I have tried a standard Dell KBD not multimedia and a USB
mouse, after hearing they both use
c:\windows\system32\drivers\i8042prt.sys driver! (KBD using KBDCLASS)
(mouse using MOUCLASS) drivers separately, using the USB mouse forced
the pc to use another driver for the mouse.

Yesterday I tried to change "input lacales" in control panel, but it
doesn't give me the option? So I uninstalled the KBD driver from add
remove progs and control panel completely with no success either.

I can't get onto Msoft web site for up to date drivers for the MM KBD
we're using so don't know if that would help, I am beginning to read
off Google that we could have a virus or spyware as we do not have any
protection on the pc for these.

tried system restore and re- installing KBD driver but you have to
fully re-boot for the change to take place, still not getting past
desktop, sometimes freezing on welcome page now.
Can get onto safe mode OK but nothing works

Any Ideas please
0
ianryan (2)
3/5/2005 9:24:19 AM
comp.windows.misc 3201 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

ianryan@des.agcocorp.com (ian) wrote in message news:<49063421.0503050124.4843dc8@posting.google.com>...
> Help!
> Just to clarify what we have so far;
> We have a eMachines P4 2.2ghz 80gb hd 256mb ram 64mb graps. Running xp
> sp1 we have a multimedia keyboard
> On start up the pc had been flashing up a "hotkey keyboard" icon in
> the menu bar at the bottom of the desktop, it went away almost
> immediately and carried on booting up, recently it was staying there
> and freezing the pc, we unplugged the speakers and the games pad and
> it seemed to do the job, it worked ok for about 6 weeks, then the icon
> stayed on...freezing the pc and making the monitor black out! We could
> manually switch the pc off by holding the button in, rebooting and on
> the second time of asking the pc would boot up ok! a week ago it would
> freeze and not continue no matter how many time we re-booted.
>
> So what have we done about it.... I have started in safe mode and
> disabled ALL of the start up programs in MSCONFIG including
> hotkey.exe. I have tried a standard Dell KBD not multimedia and a USB
> mouse, after hearing they both use
> c:\windows\system32\drivers\i8042prt.sys driver! (KBD using KBDCLASS)
> (mouse using MOUCLASS) drivers separately, using the USB mouse forced
> the pc to use another driver for the mouse.
>
> Yesterday I tried to change "input lacales" in control panel, but it
> doesn't give me the option? So I uninstalled the KBD driver from add
> remove progs and control panel completely with no success either.
>
> I can't get onto Msoft web site for up to date drivers for the MM KBD
> we're using so don't know if that would help, I am beginning to read
> off Google that we could have a virus or spyware as we do not have any
> protection on the pc for these.
>
> tried system restore and re- installing KBD driver but you have to
> fully re-boot for the change to take place, still not getting past
> desktop, sometimes freezing on welcome page now.
> Can get onto safe mode OK but nothing works
>
> Any Ideas please

Just a note to explain what I did to fix this I had a friend download
AVG anti virus, Adaware SE and MS SP2 on a disc.
First tried to install AVG which failed because I could only start in
safe mode, then installed Adaware which found some "spyware"
noticeably one called "updtmngr exe" all were quarantined.
I then installed SP2 which didn't load completely, it came up with an
error message "migrate exe entry point not found" plus other text,
which I couldn't get rid of even through task manager. I closed all of
the install boxes down, rebooted the PC and SP2 kicked into life, it
booted up without freezing which enabled me to install the AVG, this
also found the "updtmngr exe" which it deleted.
I have looked on the internet for the rest of the error message
contents to see what it relates to, and it related to email migration,
and a known problem also discussed on google forums under "GETIUMS"
Any way I assume the problem was either I had a virus/spyware problem
which was fixed or the fact that I had not finished an automatic
update from MSOFT before I disconnected from the internet one night
and it corrupted a file.
If I get any more problems I'll reply
0
ianryan (2)
3/18/2005 12:53:10 PM
Glad you got it working and realized the importance of using anti-virus
and spyware programs. Spyware seems to be causing more problems lately
than viruses.

AdAware and Spybot are good free programs I have used for a long time,
but recently read in "PC World" how good CounterSpy is, getting some 91
percent of all malware. I have tried it and agree it is outstanding. It
costs $19.95, and is well worth it, getting several bad files the
others missed all together. You can download a free trial.

As to those and anti-virus programs, you MUST be sure to download
updated data files frequently, at the very least once a week, probably
more often if you are online a lot. They won't be any help unless you
keep up-to-date on the files.

Good luck,hope you keep free of any more problems.

Smokey

ian wrote:
> [...]
> I then installed SP2 which didn't load completely, it came up with an
> error message "migrate exe entry point not found" plus other text,
> which I couldn't get rid of even through task manager. I closed all
of
> the install boxes down, rebooted the PC and SP2 kicked into life, it
> booted up without freezing which enabled me to install the AVG, this
> also found the "updtmngr exe" which it deleted.
> I have looked on the internet for the rest of the error message
> contents to see what it relates to, and it related to email
migration,
> and a known problem also discussed on google forums under "GETIUMS"
> Any way I assume the problem was either I had a virus/spyware problem
> which was fixed or the fact that I had not finished an automatic
> update from MSOFT before I disconnected from the internet one night

config.sys corrupted; can't fix; can't start windows 2000
The computer attempts to open windows 2000 pro and gets hung up with the message that winn config.sus is corrupted. I tried booting from the win 2000 cd-rom and then creating floppy boot disks. The computer won't recognize or run off of these. Rename the Config.sys file in the root directly to ConfigOLD.sys. See if the machine will boot without it for now. Any release of NT should be able to. If you work out for sure that the Config.sys file is faulty, you can go in with your text editor, and troubleshoot it. You will need the base knowledge to work in this file. Jerry G. ======== ...

Maple9 Can't run, can't re-install
-I installed the maple-9 on laptop without any problem. But when I run it, nothing happens. -I tried to uninstall it with start->settings->control panel->add/remove program->maple9, the "add/remove program" freeze (for long--------). All other programs still work at that time (computer is not froozen). -I tried to shut down the computer, it needs to 'end' the 'un-installation' -I tried to re-install the maple9 from the original CD, nothing happens. -With 'autorun', it runs a few seconds and nothing happens. -Tried to installed it ...

Both can ping, 1st pc can access 2nd pc shared folder, but 2nd pc can't 1st pc's.?
pc-a & pc-b connected with rj-45 vis a switch. Having same workgroup "MSHOME". pc-a ping to pc-b "OK". pc-b ping to pc-a "OK". both pcs TCP/IP is configured for file & printer sharing & client for ms network. pc-a can access pc-b's shared folders . MY PROBLEM IS "WHY PC-B CAN'T ACCESS PC-A's SHARED FOLDERS?". Any suggestion? By the way, both pcs can browse ie from single gateway. Both OS is Xp sp2. And they can access mutually in the past. Are you talking about regularly shared folders or admin shares like ADMIN$ or ...

Windows "routing" server separating two subnets
Gurus, I have a small lab with a bunch of servers setup on two different subnets, 192.168.1.1 is the gateway for one and 172.16.1.1 is the gateway for the other. Installed on my Router (Windows Server with three NICs - I know, please don't comment on this, it's is for learning purposes, not production), the third NIC is the gateway to the Internet. What works: The Router server can reach the Internet as well as the computers in the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet (the first subnet built). What's broken: The computers on the 172.16.1.0/16 subnet cannot get to the Inter...

squid can't start, can't bind to port
I have a CentOS 5.2 server that for several weeks has been running squid on port 9765 with no problem (only accepting requests from certain external IPs). Some time yesterday it stopped working, and attempts to start squid now say only: [root@hostname28043 squid]# service squid start Starting squid: .................... [FAILED] The last lines of the cache.log file (whose dates correspond to the last time I attempted to start squid) say: 2009/02/10 03:48:20| Starting Squid Cache version 2.6.STABLE6 for i686- redhat-li nux-gnu... 2009/02/10 03:48:20| Process ID 3306 20...

Can't Boot Up - Missing NTSDAPI.dll file
Hello, Someone please help me! I re-booted my computer last night after it hung up, and now it won't start up at all. I'm on Windows XP Home Media Center edition. The message I get after the windows screen is: "lsass.exe can't start...file NTSDAPI.dll missing..." After I click ok throught this message box...nothing. Just a black screen, although my wireless mouse functions fine - I can move my pointer about. Any pointers to get me started on figuring this out would be apprciated, it doesn't have to be a step by stop solution. Thanks!! Anthony Anthony wrote: ...

[News] Breaking Evil Myths: Linux Users Can't Play; Can't Run Windows Applications
Because penguins need to play too. ,----[ Quote ] | The Windows camp have a lot of great games to play and a popular | misconception is that Linux is lacking in games. That is not true. | There are literally thousands of games for Linux. In fact a lot of | them have been ported to Windows too. | | [...] | | There are both free and commercial games available. Some of the best | ones I really like are America's Army, Tremulous and Enemy Territory. `---- http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/linux/locutus/archives/because-penguins-need-to-play-too-14767 Run Windows Apps on Linux using 2X ApplicationServer ,----[ Quote ] | 2X ApplicationServer is a useful solution for those who still need access | to some Windows only apps, but prefer to work in Linux. `---- http://linuxappfinder.com/blog/run_windows_apps_on_linux_using_2x_applicationserver Related: LinuxGamePublishing announces X3: Reunion ,----[ Quote ] | The announcement was made during LinuxGames.coms' latest(7th) | podcast, and said to be about 80% completed. `---- http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=1914 TO: Crossfire 1.5 released ,----[ Quote ] | Inspired by TacticalOps, TO: Crossfire is a game based on Epic's | awardwinning UnrealEngine and throws you into the life-and-death | world of counterterrorism. `---- http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=1913 Supergamer LiveDVD - Gaming on Linux hits new levels ,----[ Quote ] | SuperGamer is a modified version...

Can't cd , can't use wildcard
Hi , I am running Windows 2000 service pack 4.Whenever I try to "cd" into some of the directories(which exist), I get an "Invalid directory". I can use to get into few of the directories(using cd) but for other it just says "Invalid directory". Moreover, I can't use any wildcard characters..(*, ? etc) at all.. Any idea what is wrong? Thanks Arun On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 17:13:52 GMT, Arun Goel <arun.goel@sbcglobal.net> wrote the following to comp.os.msdos.misc: > Hi , > > I am running Windows 2000 service pack 4.Whene...

I don't work for IBM and I don't make promises I can't deliver on
I wish I could afford an advertising campaign to compete with what they have on the Internet now. I promise to go totally ballistic at the next LLLNL contract. Robert. On 8/12/2011 11:24 PM, Robert Myers wrote: > I wish I could afford an advertising campaign to compete with what they > have on the Internet now. > > I promise to go totally ballistic at the next LLLNL contract. > > Robert. I don't work for IBM (anymore) either. If you are talking about the death of Blue Waters, I don't believe they said they couldn't deliver. They said they chose not to because they would lose a bunch of money on the project since it turned out to cost a lot more than the initial guess. And I guess Ben chose not to print some more to pay for it. On Aug 24, 11:17=A0pm, Del Cecchi <delcec...@gmail.com> wrote: > On 8/12/2011 11:24 PM, Robert Myers wrote: > > > I wish I could afford an advertising campaign to compete with what they > > have on the Internet now. > > > I promise to go totally ballistic at the next LLLNL contract. > > > Robert. > > I don't work for IBM (anymore) either. =A0If you are talking about the > death of Blue Waters, I don't believe they said they couldn't deliver. > They said they chose not to because they would lose a bunch of money on > the project since it turned out to cost a lot more than the initial guess= .. > > And I guess Ben chose not to print some mor...

CORRECTION : Can't connect to Xserver SHOULD BE Can't connect to XVNCserver

Can't Use OnCurrent Event / Can't Find Macro
I have run into a sudden problem and thought I'd see if anyone else has ran into this. Out of nowhere (sort-of) I am not able to access the OnCurrent event on a subform. I, of course, can write code for the event, but [Event Procedure] under OnCurrent does not show up on the properties of the subform, and the event does not fire. When this problem happened, it seems to have also generated an error while changing records in the Main Form. The error is "...can't find the macro ".". At least I think their related...both started at the same time. I have never used a macro in my life. When I say "sort-of" above, the only thing I can think that I may have done is this: When quickly "ALT-TAB'ing" between my form and the VB editor, I *think* I accidently deleted the words [Event Procedure] out of the said OnCurrent event. Although, I'm quite sure I have done this in the past, and was able to just re-initiate the event, and move on. Now, when I try to re-initiate the event (by clicking the "..." symbol next to the event) it brings up the EXPRESSION BUILDER! Not the Choose Builder request like it should. I have tried everything short of re-creating the form completely (compact/repair, export form - c/r - import form, ext...) Anybody ever see this? You should be able to just type in [Event Procedure] in the event slot and it will begin working. Rational Repairs wrote: >I have run into a sudden problem and thought ...

Palm can't find com port to synch. I can't either.
Hi. I just got a palm IIIxe. It has a serial connection. When I try to synch, it can't find the computer, and it gave an error message about the com port being busy or not available. I opened the hotsynch on the laptop, and it only showed com 3 Com 1 seemed missing. Is there a way to see what com 1 is being used for? And are com ports numbered 1 and 3? Thanks Jim I wish you luck in getting this "ancient" palm device to work with XP's interpretation of Com ports. Yes there is com 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. You may want to search Microsoft's web site for inform...

Can't log in (can't type) on console on Solaris 10 on Ultra 10
Hello, I've installed Solaris 10 on an Ultra 10. Unfortunately I cannot log in on console and I'm looking for some advice. I can log in over the net. I installed the machine using console so I know that works fine. After booting up, I can not type anything on console, though console messages, e.g. su, are printed on the screen. The only error message is "Console login service(s) cannot run". I've googled a lot on this and found only one really relevent item here: http://blog.sun.com/roller/page/lianep/Weblog/20050204. svcs states the service is not running (as if I didn't know): # svcs -x svc:/system/console-login:default (Console login) State: offline since Thu Feb 24 15:05:08 2005 Reason: Unknown. See: http://sun.com/msg/SMF-8000-AR See: ttymon(1M) Impact: This service is not running. http://sun.com/msg/SMF-8000-AR has a meaningless explanation and no fix. I've tried restarting the service without any good effect: # svcadm -v enable svc:/system/console-login svc:/system/console-login:default enabled. I've enabled "milestone all". A reboot doesn't fix it. I can't see any dependencies that are not running: # svcs -d svc:/system/console-login STATE STIME FMRI online 14:56:20 svc:/system/identity:node online 14:56:21 svc:/system/filesystem/minimal:default online 14:56:27 svc:/milestone/sysconfig:default online 14:56:28 svc:/system/utmp:default Does anyon...

Can't see all of the queries when merging to MS Word and can't get to reports
I'm working with a database developed by an untrained person over several years - and on a network that has recently been upgraded with a new server installed and MS office upgraded from 2K (I think - it might have been XP) to 2003. The database is impressive, both in what it does and the obtuse and inconsistent ways it works. There are several hundred queries, for example, with no indication of where they are used or if they are in fact necessary at all... The database is for the local Hospice service, and their entire operation is based on it - from patient records to donations. The database was developed in Access 2K and has not been converted, so it's being opened as an Access 2000 database in Access 2003. I tried converting to 2003, and didn't see any change in the bothersome behavior. There are several letters in MS Word that use the database as the source data for mail merges. Until the conversion, everything worked fine, but with the conversion, it became necessary to specify new locations for the source data for the merges. In MS Word 2003, when I try to open a new datasource, I can specify the MS Access database, but the format of the dialog box is significantly different than I am used to. I am presented with a list of "Views" and tables, with the Views apparently corresponding to the queries in the database. The difficulty is that, unlike in Access 2K, I don't seem to be seeing any query that contain parameters - at least I thin...

Forget "Why Can't Johnny Read?" ... Why Can't Eudora Read?
I have a script which writes a MIME-formatted email containing both text and HTML. It works perfectly with all email clients with the exception of the free version of Eudora. As many of you no doubt are aware, a multipart/alternative email is constructed with two or more parts: (1) text for mail clients unable to read HTML and (2) HTML. Eudora is one of the clients which cannot read HTML. So does it read the text version of the multipart/alternative email? Of course not. It tries to read the 2nd part which is the HTML and fails ... thus displaying a table as if it were text. Eudora liter...

can't run a built application because it can't find Run-Time engine
Let's start at the begining.... everything was working fine, and then I started getting an&nbsp;error 2 (memory is full) while compiling any application.&nbsp; I couldn't resolve the issue but the same applications would compile on another machine, so I uninstalled every National Instrument software from Control Panel (add remove programs), and deleted the c:\Program Files\National Instruments directory.&nbsp; I then reinstall the Labview 8.0 Prof Dev system,&nbsp; and performed the labview 8.0.1 upgrade.&nbsp; I can now open and compile applications,&nbsp; but now when I try to run one of the compiled applications it says it can't find the labview 8.0 or compatible run-time engine....&nbsp; I tried to install the runtime engine, and I get an error message saying a higher version is already installed so it won't install.... when I go to control panel the runtime engine 7.0 and 7.1.1&nbsp; show up , but Runtime 8.0 or 8.0.1 do not....&nbsp;&nbsp; I installed runtime 8.2.1 to see if it would show up in the control panel 'add remove programs) and it does not ..... &nbsp; help! &nbsp; thanks Mike Mike, &nbsp; This knowledgebase may help you <a href="http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/E6E8D84E9464AE33862571FB007085B2" target="_blank">http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/E6E8D84E9464AE33862571FB007085B2</a> &nbsp; Regards Ray Farmer ...

Branch can't get to internet, can't ping anything but ethernet at main site.
Ok, What am i missing? I've got a new MPLS connection up and running. I can ping the branch site from my main site just fine. I can not ping ANYTHING past the main site ethernet port via the branch router. Can someone please help me out!!! Heres so configs Main: interface FastEthernet0/0 description $ETH-SW-LAUNCH$$INTF-INFO-FE 0/0$$ETH-LAN$ ip address 192.168.1.251 255.255.255.0 duplex auto speed auto ! interface Serial0/0/0 ip address 63.239.127.226 255.255.255.252 ip access-group 189 in service-module t1 timeslots 1-12 ! router rip version 2 passive-interface FastEthernet0/0 passive-interface Serial0/0/0 network 63.0.0.0 network 192.168.1.0 neighbor 192.168.2.0 no auto-summary ! ip classless ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.250 ip route 192.168.2.0 255.255.255.0 63.239.127.225 ! Branch router: ! interface Serial0 ip address 72.165.109.6 255.255.255.252 ip helper-address 192.168.1.205 no ip directed-broadcast fair-queue 64 256 0 service-module t1 timeslots 1-6 no cdp enable ! interface FastEthernet0 description connected to LAN ip address 192.168.2.254 255.255.255.0 no ip directed-broadcast full-duplex no cdp enable ! router rip version 2 network 192.168.2.0 neighbor 192.168.1.0 ! ip classless ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Serial0 no ip http server ! no cdp run td ha escrito: > Ok, > What am i missing? > I've got a new MPLS connection up and running. > I can ping the branch site from my main site just fine. > I can no...

Can't install Epson 'Easy Print'
Epson supplies something called 'Easy Print' [now, version 2.4dA] that is supposed to interface directly with Elements 3 and, if I understand it right, to allow more direct control of the printer [many Epson models] from within Elements -- I'm assuming, among other things, so you only have to say 'print' once -- not once to Elements and once again to the printer driver. However it doesn't seem to want to install on my machine [XP SP2]. It goes through the EULA yes/no just fine, starts to show the install progress meter, and about half way through, jum...

Can't clean. Says it's printing. It isn't.
I'm trying to clean cartridge heads in an HP660C printer that has been unused for some time. I printed one test page which showed streaks. No other jobs had been set up for printing nor were being printed. When I went to the services page and tried to clean the heads it kept coming up with a message that I can't because the printer is printing. It wasn't. I tried "purge print documents", and turning the printer off and on again. Still wouldn't clean. Thanks for any suggestions. I really need to get some letters printed soon. "Martin" <marty123@optonline.net> wrote in message news:sDY7d.28771$kq6.18831495@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net... > I'm trying to clean cartridge heads in an HP660C printer that has been > unused for some time. I printed one test page which showed streaks. No > other jobs had been set up for printing nor were being printed. When I went > to the services page and tried to clean the heads it kept coming up with a > message that I can't because the printer is printing. It wasn't. > > I tried "purge print documents", and turning the printer off and on again. > Still wouldn't clean. > > Thanks for any suggestions. I really need to get some letters printed > soon. > Removed and reinstalled cartridges. Problem solved. Not sure why. ...

Can't find a usable init.tcl ... Tcl wasn't installed correctly
I built a toy tcl/tk program with an embedded interpreter. It works as expected under Linux. When I run the program from the Windows XP command prompt, initialization of the embedded interpreter fails, returning a message like: ----------------------------------------------------------- Can't find a usable init.tcl in the following directories: This probably means that Tcl wasn't installed correctly. ----------------------------------------------------------- I tried again after executing SET TCL_LIBRARY=C:\Tcl\Lib\tcl8.4 from the command prompt, and the Tcl_Init call succeeded. Have I actually installed Tcl incorrectly? I just accepted all the default settings rather dumbly during installation. Will I have to set TCL_LIBRARY like this each time I want to run such a program? In article <0d_Of.1893$kg.1014@news02.roc.ny>, Patrick wrote: > I built a toy tcl/tk program with an embedded interpreter. It works as > expected under Linux. > > When I run the program from the Windows XP command prompt, > initialization of the embedded interpreter fails, returning a message like: > > ----------------------------------------------------------- > Can't find a usable init.tcl in the following directories: What was here? Was there a long list of directories that you trimmed away when posting? If not something is very very weird. If so, then you trimmed exactly the part that might allow me to help you. > This probably m...

Sql Server ODBC applet won't start can't configure problem
Hi, I am trying to add a new ODBC entry for Sql Server, XP Pro. SP2, sqlserver odbc 2.000.8xxxxxxx. All it does when I hit "Add" show the hour glass for a millisecond and then it does nothing. I also had a program that created entries in the background for its use. The program kept failing, so I checked the ODBC entries. This is where I found I could not add. I also could not configure existing ones. (the program has nothing to do with the odbc itself.) In the event viewer is the following: Event Type: Error Event Source: SQL Server ODBC driver support error Event Category: None Event ID: 0 Date: 1/26/2005 Time: 11:23:28 AM User: N/A Computer: MyComputer Description: The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( SQL Server ODBC driver support error ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Unable to load SQL Server ODBC driver resource DLL. The application cannot continue. .. I can't find anything on this. I can't install the latest MDAC because it says I am already up to date. Does anyone know how to help? Thank you. ...

dvipdfm can but dvipdfmx can't find font which installed for MikTeX for windows
the font map added manually first generate the pdf file using dvipdfm then i added some chinese, the dvipdfmx wouldn't work he said he couldn't find the font ...

Can't 'make install' ruby (cvs head)
I've gotten three different errors on four different runs, all of which involve generating the RI documentation (one of the errors has already scrolled past the end of my terminal buffer, so I can't copy-and-paste it): Generating RI... /home/pbrannan/download/ruby/ruby/lib/rdoc/ri/ri_writer.rb:59:in `path_to_dir': +cannot convert Object into Array (TypeError) from /home/pbrannan/download/ruby/ruby/lib/rdoc/ri/ri_writer.rb:42:in +`add_method' Generating RI... /home/pbrannan/download/ruby/ruby/lib/rdoc/markup/simple_markup/fragments.rb:146: +[BUG] Segmentation fault ruby 1.9.0 (2004-09-29) [i686-linux] Are these known problems? Are there any known workarounds, other than trying over and over until it succeeds? Paul ...

I can't install Netbeans 4.0, I'm told my machine can not find a suitable JVM
I downloaded jre-1_5_0_01-windows-i586-p.exe to make sure I had the newest version of the JVM installed. Then I downloaded Netbeans 4.0 and tried to install it. My machine runs Windows XP. I was told that I couldn't install it, because a suitable JVM could not be found. Any ideas what I should do? <lkrubner@geocities.com> wrote in message news:1114836684.643365.216070@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... >I downloaded jre-1_5_0_01-windows-i586-p.exe to make sure I had the > newest version of the JVM installed. Don't you have to have the JDK and its JVM to install NetBeans? mas lkrubner@geocities.com said: >I downloaded jre-1_5_0_01-windows-i586-p.exe to make sure I had the >newest version of the JVM installed. That's strange, given that 1.5.0 update 2 was released some while ago, and 1.5.0 update 3 was released during the last week. >Then I downloaded Netbeans 4.0 and tried to install it. My machine runs >Windows XP. > >I was told that I couldn't install it, because a suitable JVM could not >be found. As it says on the Netbeans download page http://www.netbeans.info/downloads/download.php?a=b&p=1 , "NetBeans IDE 4.0 requires a J2SE JDK, version 1.4.2 or higher.", so a plain JRE is not enough, you need a JDK. Available as a download from http://java.sun.com/ . -- Wolf a.k.a. Juha Laiho Espoo, Finland (GC 3.0) GIT d- s+: a C++ ULSH++++$ P++@ L+++ E- W+$@ N++ !K w !O !M V PS(+) PE Y+ PGP(+...

Web resources about - PC freezes on start up, can't restore, can't install - comp.windows.misc