Printing from Word 2000 on Windows 98 and Windows 2000

I have process that creates a Word document (Word 2000) and prints to
the specified printer. When the process runs on Windows 98 (where it
was developed), the report prints without errors. When I run the same
process on a Windows 2000 machine (same process, same template), I get
the error "The margins of section <n> are set outside the printable
area of the page.". I have been through the knowledge base, but have
been unsuccessful in finding any reference to this set of
circumstances.

The process is an automated invoicing process. The output that is
created on the Windows 98 process has never presented with this
problem. The specified printers are all HP (4000, 4100, 8000). All
Windows 98 machines print fine. All Windows 2000 machines report the
error.

I welcome any suggestions, recommendations, etc. that anyone may be
able to offer. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Robert
comp.windows.misc 3202 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

dmcsudt wrote:
> I have process that creates a Word document (Word 2000) and prints to
> the specified printer. When the process runs on Windows 98 (where it
> was developed), the report prints without errors. When I run the same
> process on a Windows 2000 machine (same process, same template), I get
> the error "The margins of section <n> are set outside the printable
> area of the page.". I have been through the knowledge base, but have
> been unsuccessful in finding any reference to this set of
> circumstances.
>
> The process is an automated invoicing process. The output that is
> created on the Windows 98 process has never presented with this
> problem. The specified printers are all HP (4000, 4100, 8000). All
> Windows 98 machines print fine. All Windows 2000 machines report the
> error.
>
> I welcome any suggestions, recommendations, etc. that anyone may be
> able to offer. Thanks in advance.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Robert

IIRC, it might be necessary to re-set the default page setup
to match the margins used in the computer which established
the original template. This is a "global" change to the normal
*.dot template.

0
mistyfac01 (54)
5/19/2004 7:17:32 AM
The margin error is when a document is created, according to the limitations
of the printable area for the default printer on that machine, and used on
another machine where the default printers limitations are different. Thus,
when you go to another operating system (using a different driver set for
your HP printer), the margins are "invalid". Create one document on the
windows 98 machine, and one on the windows 2000 machine, and all should be
well. You might also want to sync the normal.dot (word default template) to
ensure compatablity between the printing process on both machines.

"dmcsudt" <robert@dunnmiller.net> wrote in message
> I have process that creates a Word document (Word 2000) and prints to
> the specified printer. When the process runs on Windows 98 (where it
> was developed), the report prints without errors. When I run the same
> process on a Windows 2000 machine (same process, same template), I get
> the error "The margins of section <n> are set outside the printable
> area of the page.". I have been through the knowledge base, but have
> been unsuccessful in finding any reference to this set of
> circumstances.
>
> The process is an automated invoicing process. The output that is
> created on the Windows 98 process has never presented with this
> problem. The specified printers are all HP (4000, 4100, 8000). All
> Windows 98 machines print fine. All Windows 2000 machines report the
> error.
>
> I welcome any suggestions, recommendations, etc. that anyone may be
> able to offer. Thanks in advance.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Robert

Windows NT vs Windows 2000 vs Windows XP
Hi, I am pretty ignorant when it comes to computers. I posted in another thread that I just purchased a used computer for close to nothing. I have an old windows NT workstation which I plan on installing. My question is : A friend of mine can sell me a Windows 2000 or Windows XP license for cheap. Is there any reason I need to spend $40 to buy any one of these two operating systems for an old Pentium II computer, instead of a free windows NT workstation system that I already have ? For general home use : access internet, typing documents, etc, is there any difference in us...

running windows 98/2000/me games on windows XP
Is there any product out there that allows you to run these games from older platforms to windows XP. I've got all sort of favorites from SIM City to Dungeon Keeper 2, but they don't seem to want to play nice with XP. Thanks in advance for your help! There is one for runng DOS, most games work farly good on XP... Jesus Hernandez wrote: > Is there any product out there that allows you to run these games from older > platforms to windows XP. I've got all sort of favorites from SIM City to > Dungeon Keeper 2, but they don't seem to want to play nice with ...

Windows 2000, Windows 98 dual boot problem
Hello, I have 60 gig WD drive which is partitioned into 5 gig, 35 gig, and 20 gig. 5 gig is in FAT32 with Windows 98 is installed. 35 gig partition is in NTFS with Windows 2000 installed. 20 gig partition will be used for RH Linux and is in FAT32 as of now. The problem that I am running into is that I get inaccessible_boot_device error after installing SP2. BTW, I am running EZBIOS to get my hard drive recognized as 60 gig instead of 30 gig. Your help is much appreciated. -Steve ...

replacing windows xp with windows 2000
I just recently bought a laptop with the Windows XP operating system preinstalled. Being an advocate of Windows 2000 I was trying to replace XP with 2000 but ran into the following problem. The setup process seems to not allow newer Windows operating systems be replaced by older ones despite the preference of the operator. Is there any way to get around this? If there is one I'd be very grateful for advise. Thanks. Boot from a Win 98 floppy, fdisk, format and install Terry "Joe" <josephstran@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1a55ccc2.0401111637.682b70c8@posting.google...

Windows 2000 vs. Windows XP?
I know it's probably been asked to death, but what is everyone's preference and why? -O Ovid left a note on my windscreen which said: > I know it's probably been asked to death, but what is everyone's preference > and why? XP (Pro). Cause it's 2K with knobs on. -- Stoneskin [Insert sig here] On 5 Nov 2003 11:38:17 -0600, Ovid <Ovid@Epigram.com> wrote: >I know it's probably been asked to death, but what is everyone's preference >and why? I don't use Windows a whole lot. But when I do, my own preference is ...

DOS window size in Windows 2000
The software we run at our business was developed long ago and is still DOS based. I just recently got the configurations right to make it run on XP and 2000, however in order to make it display on a full screen I have to load it in a normal command window and use "alt+enter" to make it display in the full screen. If i just load it in a full screen it displays on only half of the screen. In the properties of my shortcut I would like to change the initial size under the screen tab to 25 like you can in 98 but it is grayed out. does anyone know a way to make the def...

Is it possible to use the Windows 2003 user names instead of pre-Windows 2000 user names in Windows Authentication?
Hello, I am trying to get username information by using User.Identity.Name.ToString, if i logged in with username to given network place, it is ok! It returns SERVERNAME/username. Otherwise if I logged in with "name.surname@SERVERNAME.com" it again returns SERVERNAME/username although i want it to return "name.surname". I changed the IIS server settings, checked digest authentication and tried the other things, too. But makes no difference. It is said to originated from Kerberos Authentication... If anyone can help me I will be appreciated. Thanks for now, MK IIS must be making the translation internally from the UPN to the sAMAccountName. It's not hard to get the UPN given the WindowsIdentity object that you have at hand, and relying on the UPN for the user's true name is bad programming practice IMHO. My recommendation is to search AD for that user's object in the directory and retrieve the first and last name properties or whatever else you need in your code. -- Thanks, Brian Desmond Windows Server MVP - Directory Services www.briandesmond.com "MaURiCe" <mkastro@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1157462878.505088.151490@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com... > Hello, > I am trying to get username information by using > User.Identity.Name.ToString, if i logged in with username to given > network place, it is ok! It returns SERVERNAME/username. > Otherwise if I logged in with "name.surname@SERVERNAME.c...

[News] [Rival] Microsoft's Windows 98, 2000, 2003 and Windows XP Banned in China

Mapping Drives From Windows 2000 To Windows XP
First, let me say I am a developer not a network guy, so I reconize my limitations in this area. I am running Windows XP on my desktop in Domain A. I am trying to map a drive on a Windows 2000 server machine in Domain B using Windows explorer. I supply credentials which are valid for the Win2K machin in Domain B. A space is created in my explorer (the space is blank, it does not contain any information about the drive I mapped). I can see the file system (i.e. the directory tree) fine, but if I try to copy any files from my pc to the mapped drive, I get complaints about the filenames being invalid. Only files which follow the old filename convention of names being 8.3 can be copied. Anyone have thoughts on why this is happening? Thanks - Tim ...

VB6 and Windows Installer problem on Windows 2000
Hi, I've got Visual Studio 6.0 sp5 installed on a Toshiba laptop running Windows 2000 pro. Whenever I start Visual Basic, Windows Installer starts up and tries to install some unknown component, after clicking cancel Visual Basic hangs up. Help!!! Thanks, McFly Thanks anyway, A key in the windows registry was missing for some MS Office component. The Event Viewer gave the clue to solve this problem. I don't know why vb was triggering that event. Regards, McFly. ...

IWPM For Windows 2000 To work with Windows XP?
Guys, Have you been able to get this beast to work with Windows XP? When I attempt to run the install program, it says it "Can not write PATH Key" and then quits. I am in Administration mode on the PC and can write to the PATH manually. Is there a newer viewer then Version 2 Release 3 Build 20001004? Thanks! ----------------------- James http://www.fordaspire.com -Web http://www.fordtaurus.net -Web jpiper2@gmail.com - Email ...

Mapping Drives From Windows 2000 To Windows XP
First, let me say I am a developer not a network guy, so I reconize my limitations in this area. I am running Windows XP on my desktop in Domain A. I am trying to map a drive on a Windows 2000 server machine in Domain B using Windows explorer. I supply credentials which are valid for the Win2K machin in Domain B. A space is created in my explorer (the space is blank, it does not contain any information about the drive I mapped). I can see the file system (i.e. the directory tree) fine, but if I try to copy any files from my pc to the mapped drive, I get complaints about the filenames being ...

WIndows 2000 "My Computer" Window
I'm creating an application that I would like to have reside in the "My Computer" window. Anyone know how I would be about installing an icon into that window??? Thanks for any help... * Lucci: > I'm creating an application that I would like to have reside in the "My > Computer" window. Anyone know how I would be about installing an icon > into that window??? Thanks for any help... Better asked in a Windows programming group. Here's one way that might work (I found the question interesting so researched it, using my current Windows setup as gu...

Windows error 126 loading a dll on windows 2000
Hi! I'm using ctypes with python 2.4 on windows xp the code if exists(join(getcwd(),'statistics.dll')): ....ap=windll.LoadLibrary(join(getcwd(),'statistics.dll')) works fine but on windows 2000, the some code raise the windows error 126, it can't load the module statistics.dll thanks in advance luis wrote: > Hi! > > I'm using ctypes with python 2.4 on windows xp > > the code > > if exists(join(getcwd(),'statistics.dll')): > ...ap=windll.LoadLibrary(join(getcwd(),'statistics.dll')) > > works fine > > ...

Windows 2000 and Windows XP using Firewire connection
Has anyone been able to use this method for networking? Win XP has the drivers etc loaded. Win 2000 does not have drivers for IEEE (1394) to allow networking. I currently using a wireless connection which works and also a LAN 100mbit connection which works. I would like to try and use firewire as well. Are there drivers available for Win 2000 to allow firewire networking? Can the XP drivers be used instead? Tanx Martin On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 05:34:54 GMT, no-spam@here.com wrote: > Has anyone been able to use this method for networking? > > Win XP has the drivers etc loaded. >...

dot1x authentication on windows xp and windows 2000 workstations
we're trying to test dot1x authentication on wired LAN and the set-up was already completed according to the cisco documentation on setting up dot1x for wired network, we've already tried to acquire ip address thru authentication and it worked, the problem is everytime we try to restart the workstation it already has the same ip we've acquired before we restarted the workstation. how can we make the workstation prompt first for auuthentication before it acquire ip address upon startup??? On Nov 19, 2:28 am, "acbgamir" <u39193@uwe> wrote: > we're trying to t...

Windows 2000 and Windows XP using Firewire connection
Has anyone been able to use this method for networking? Win XP has the drivers etc loaded. Win 2000 does not have drivers for IEEE (1394) to allow networking. I currently using a wireless connection which works and also a LAN 100mbit connection which works. I would like to try and use firewire as well. Are there drivers available for Win 2000 to allow firewire networking? Can the XP drivers be used instead? Tanx Martin On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 05:34:54 GMT, no-spam@here.com wrote: > Has anyone been able to use this method for networking? > > Win XP has the drivers etc loaded. > Win 2000 does not have drivers for IEEE (1394) to allow networking. > > I currently using a wireless connection which works and also a LAN 100mbit > connection which works. > > I would like to try and use firewire as well. > > Are there drivers available for Win 2000 to allow firewire networking? > > Can the XP drivers be used instead? > > Tanx > Martin Win2K does not support IEEE1394 networking. WinME and XP do support IEEE1394 networking. Tanx, I already knew that, which is why I was asking if there is a way around it. Either 3rd party softaware or XP drivers. Martin ...

How to connect a windows xp box to a windows 2000 box
Hi, I have an older box installed with windows 2000 and a new box with windows xp. I would like to access my windows 2000 box through windows xp with a crossover cable. I was able to view the shared folders of windows xp from my windows 2000 box, but not vice versa. I may not set it up correctly. Anyone has a working procedure to share? Thanks, Wayne wwang525@yahoo.com (Wayne) wrote in message news:<4ce62911.0407201605.6f030ca7@posting.google.com>... > Hi, > > I have an older box installed with windows 2000 and a new box with > windows xp. > I wo...

Windows XP Prof versus Windows 2000 Prof
Good morning- I have designed an application using the following environment: Windows XP Proffessional Microsoft Access 2000 I am utilizing at the startup of the application on my Splash screen Dev Ashish's code to maximize the window (fSetAccessWindow). The Splash screen then runs a routine to see if a newer version of the front end is on the server. If found, it runs a Docmd.Followhyperlink to a separate database that also utilizies the fSetAccessWindow, opens a form that acts as a status screen (copies the newer file in the background, copies tables to and from the main database) and then reopens the main database file through another Docmd.FollowHyperLink. Everything works like a charm under the design environment exactly as I programmed it. However some of the users of the application are under the following environment: Windows 2000 Proffessional Microsoft Access 2000 Under this environment when the user starts the main application the Splash screen and the fSetAccessWindow function works. The Splash screen then runs the routine to find the newer version, and then follows the link the separate file. The file is opened and runs the code, however the form that acts like the status screen never appears and all the user sees is the grey background. Once the newer file is copied, the main database file opens through Docmd. FollowHyperLink, and again the grey background with all the code running but no splash screen and then no switchboard. The user at this po...

windows 2000 and windows xp networking problem with athentication
i am trying to do a peer to peer with a windows 2000 machine and a xp corp machine. i can see the machines in my network places, but when i try to connect to the xp machine it ask for username and password, we have usernames and passwords set up for both machines , they are the same ones we use to log onto our own machines. they both have admin rights. when we put in the username and password and hit ok it just ask for it again and doesnt connect..we are both connected to a router for my cable connection..the firewall allows acces from our ip's..any help..thanks rh_nayan@msn.com (Rakib Hassan) wrote in message news:<1a0a9065.0309020146.582df00f@posting.google.com>... > news:<60f42cdd.0309011214.6f20358a@posting.google.com>... > Hi guys, > you must got problems in sharing permissions.if it doesnt work then > make a dc(win2000)and make the xp pc its(dc's) client.i hope it will > work. check your registry settings HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa Maybe there is a key FORCEGUEST, if yes, edit the value to 0 Just insert the XP CD choose preform other tasks and click set up network, follow the wizzard and it'll sort it out (worked for me) XP is against manual settings obviously. Do it with both machines (yes its legal, even recomended by MS - see wizzard) and you will be fine. Tarl ...

Windows xp Pro cannot see Windows 2000 Pro
I have been trying to solve this problem for months! I have 4 PCs in a workgroup, 3 are Windows XP Pro and 1 is a Windows 2000 Pro. The Windows 2000 PC can see all of the Windows XP machines. It can copy files to them it can share the printer connected to one of them no issues. None of the Windows xp (2 are sp2 1 is sp1)can see the Windows 2000 PC. If I ping the 2000 PC I get back an Ip address, but it times out. I have double checked the Workgroup name. They all login as administrator same password. They can all get to the internet using the cable modem connected to one of the...

connection problem to sql 2000 on windows 2003 from Windows 95
Hi all, I have a Windows 2003 server, which is also a terminal server for application, with sql 2000 installed. My company has developed an application that uses SQL 2000 as its database. The application is a client/server one. In each client computer there's a link to the application on the server. There is no problem with Windows 98, Windows 2000 pro, Windows xp pro clients, but the windows 95 ones cannot log in to the database. The log of the application shows the following error: connection error -2147467259. Cannot open database requested in login 'database name'. Login fails. Till a week ago the application was running on a Windows 2000 server with SQL 2000 install and the W95 clients had no problem connecting to the database, so my guess is the error has something to do with Windows 2003 server, but what'causing the error? I tried to install a newer version of MDAC (MDAC 2.5, the last version of MDAC you can install on W95)but with no success. By the way W95 clients have no problem accessing shared folder on the Windows 2003 server. Any idea? Thanks Marino [posted and mailed, please reply in news] Marino (mmagi@itconsult.it) writes: > I have a Windows 2003 server, which is also a terminal server for > application, with sql 2000 installed. My company has developed an > application that uses SQL 2000 as its database. The application is a > client/server one. In each client computer there's a link to the > application on the server. ...

Is there a difference in the way Windows 2003 and Windows 2000 handles pnp drivers
Is there a difference in the way Windows 2003 and Windows 2000 handle pnp drivers? If so, is there documentation somewhere on the subject. I have been roaming around in the maze that is msdn without getting anywhere. I am lost...help! ...

os.system always opens new window on Windows XP/2000
Can anyone tell me how to run a bunch of commands in the same command line window? When I do this: system("command1") system("command2") .... it opens a new window for every system call. The alternative I can think of is to write out the command to a batch file and run that, but I'm wondering if there is a better way to do it. Partly it is annoying to have 20 cmd windows flash on the screen, but also I don't think it works if I do something like this: system("set envvar=hi") since I think the envvar does not persist once the command window is closed...

Web resources about - Printing from Word 2000 on Windows 98 and Windows 2000 - comp.windows.misc

Printing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the process of reproducing text and images. For the handwriting method often called printing, see block letters . For other ...

Help Mr Plumbum sort his printing box in this matching game
... path in Linken, an elegant puzzler or Meteors are falling, dont get squished in Danger Dodgers . Mr Plumbum Help Mr Plumbum sort his printing ...

Make your own 'Ghostbusters' trap via 3D printing
When ghosts go bump in the night, will you have the right equipment to bust them? Make this replica ghost trap from the original "Ghostbusters" ...

Tokyo students develop architectural 3D-printing pen
A group of University of Tokyo students overseen by architect Kengo Kuma have developed a 3D-printing pen that can be used to create complex ...

MakerBot learns that 3D printing and copyright don't quite mix
Trying to stop unauthorized 3D printing is like plugging a hole in a dam with your finger once the template for an object leaks out, it's virtually ...

3D Printing Your Own Braces Works, Is a Terrible Idea
At the age of nine, I became the first kid in my elementary school class to get braces. They did their job, but by the time I left college, I’d ...

Join Us at the Greatest 3D Printing Festival on Planet Earth
Winter is hanging on like clinical depression, which means it’s that time again for the greatest 3D-printing festival on the planet Earth. It’s ...

3-D Printing: Gigi The Macaw Gets First-Ever Titanium Prosthetic Beak (PHOTOS)
Gigi the macaw is the first-ever recipient of the world's first 3-D-printed titanium beak.

Archinaut, A 3D Printing Robot To Make Big Structures In Space
Historically, the only way to get anything into orbit has been by rocket; a process that is massively expensive, cumbersome, and presents a slew ...

Architecture students develop a 3D-printing pen that “draws” incredible acrylic structures in mid-air ...
Read the rest of Architecture students develop a 3D-printing pen that “draws” incredible acrylic structures in mid-air