Typing ASCII characters using Alt

Hello everyone,

I use to be able to type ASCII characters by using the <Alt> +
<decimal number> keys. I don't know what suddenly happened that
prevents me to do it anymore.

Could someone please help me recover it. I appreciate any help you can
provide me and thank you in advance.

Geo
0
ckarakiro (3)
2/20/2004 8:57:15 PM
comp.windows.misc 3201 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

Typing ASCII characters using the Alt key
Hello everyone, I use to be able to type ASCII characters by using the <Alt> + <decimal number>. I don't know what suddenly happened that prevents me to do it anymore. Could someone please help me recover it. I appreciate any help you can provide me and thank you in advance. Geo ...

Typing ASCII characters using the Alt key
Hello everyone, I use to be able to type ASCII characters by using the <Alt> + <decimal number>. I don't know what suddenly happened that prevents me to do it anymore. Could someone please help me recover it. I appreciate any help you can provide me and thank you in advance. Geo ...

composing characters using ALT + ASCII numeric value
Hi! How is possible to set up xterm for composing characters using left ALT + ASCII numeric value? Thanx, Damijan On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 09:48:25 +0200, Damijan staggered into the Black Sun and said: > How is possible to set up xterm for composing characters using left > ALT + ASCII numeric value? I don't think you can do that. http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search , put slrnc5grev.muv.danSPANceswitTRAPhcrows@samantha.crow202.dyndns.org into the "find messages with this message-ID" box, press Search. Read that message and the thread it's part of for the standard X way of entering non-ASCII characters with the Compose key. Compose + " + a = � , Compose + - + L = �, etcetera. HTH, -- Matt G|There is no Darkness in Eternity/But only Light too dim for us to see Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin / mail: TRAP + SPAN don't belong http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me! -----------------------------/ http://crow202.dyndns.org/~mhgraham/resume ...

If you used to use Windows or now used Windows less because of FreeBSD why?
For a Graduation Project, I am comparing Open-Source software to Propetarity Software. So if you used to use Windows or now use Windows less, why do you use FreeBSD more now? Yes, I know I asked a question like this before, but forgot to ask this one. ;). I continue to use windows on the desktop because of certain apps and games that only run on windows. Making the switch to another platorm is not a priority. I am quite good with windows security and other platforms offer no functionality that windows lacks, in my instance. I recently began utilizing freebsd for some of my services, along with my windows server. I use mysql and postfix on freebsd. I have lately been experimenting with linux, but the lack of sata support is inhibiting progress. I am patiently awaiting the next release of debian, my favorite distro so far. As a libertarian, I am quite fond of open-source ideals. A few points on linux and freebsd: The freebsd packages collection, I feel, is lacking. I really think some improvements need to be addressed to accomodate users that prefer binary implementation. For example, smb client support is broken in the binary implementations of xfce4 and gnome2. Freebsd-update is a huge leap forward, as far as updates are concerned. The freebsd installer is far superior to any other I have ever used. I can install freebsd and apply binary security updates in less than ten minutes on a p2-300. Debian installation is a c...

What type of window do I use to display only images? (static/button/window) etc..
Hi, I'd like to know what type of window or control I should use to display images. Kind Regards Icyculyr "Icyculyr" <Icyculyr@gmail.com> wrote in message news:gcs5ff$56e$1@aioe.org... > Hi, I'd like to know what type of window or control I should use to > display images. > > Kind Regards Static control with SS_BITMAP style Thanks "Nico" <nico@nospam.com> wrote in message news:gcsaag$3vb$1@news.albasani.net... > "Icyculyr" <Icyculyr@gmail.com> wrote in message > news:gcs5ff$56e$1@ai...

Restricting a type by using an attribute on the element using the type?

Which window/app/shell- type should I use?
I would like to create an app that is one single window and has a few controls ..... and that sound easy but I need to have an OCX inside the app and also use a timer I have tried the dialog window but the OCX throws an error if a dialog window is passed to it instead of the shell window I would like a windows that I can put a few controls on and has no menu, can't be resized - only the usual minimize/maximize, etc What would be my best choice? ...

Using character entities in us-ascii
I'm using the following meta tag with my documents: <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content= "text/html; charset=us-ascii" /> and yet using character entities like &rsquo; and &mdash; It validates at W3C and WDG, and runs in standards compliance mode in Firefox 0.9. What I'm wondering is, is this a good practice? I assume my pages will load faster if declared as using the "us-ascii" character code, but it seems odd to refer to characters not actually in the ASCII character code. As an aside, I have yet to figure out how to te...

display non-ascii characters in DOS window
Hi, I'd like to display some non-ascii characters in a DOS window. I'm getting the characters from Windows Character Map, such as the Spade (U+2660) and a few others. However, I can't get it to work. I know the characters I'm trying to display are Unicode and that is presenting the problem. Does anyone know how to do this if even possible? Thanks! "SB" <voador79@hotmail.com> wrote... > Hi, I'd like to display some non-ascii characters in a DOS window. I'm > getting the characters from Windows Character Map, such as the Spade > (U+2660) and a...

Prevent Windows from using my window
I open a small window with no toolbars and position it in the corner of the screen. My problem is that when this window was the last window opened, Windows will use it to open any link that I click on. Here is how I test this, 1. I click a link on my html page to open my little window. 2. I click on a link in an email message. 3. The link will open in my little window instead of a new window. is there any way to prevent this? Thanks AJS AJS wrote: > 3. The link will open in my little window instead of a new window. > is there any way to prevent this? This isn't javascript-relate...

Changing Ascii table for use by MSDOS emulator in Windows
I am a very old MSDOS programmer who just lost his MSDOS and PC AT "bible" books ( a carton went missing) during a country move. Memory isn't good enough!. I need to be able to change the ascii table used for the screen, from the default Multilingual to something else (e.g. and specifically Greek, which uses the whole upper half table, not just one "row" of it), that will generally work for most Windows operating systems under the MSDOS emulators. (right now I get by in most European languages with the Mutilingual table, but...). I program now in Fortran an...

Automaticly type some characters in any windows' input block
Hello, Who can help me to solve a problem ? which is if automaticly type some characters in any windows' input block by using LabVIEW. Thanks . input.JPG: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/224322/1/input.JPG ...

Using a type 1 font on Windows with only the pfb file
If I have just a pfb type 1 font file, how can I use the font on windows? Is the pfm or afm and ini files essentially required? If they are, then how can I generate the pfm file from the pfb file? Thanks. On 30 Aug 2005 07:38:31 -0700, AR wrote: > If I have just a pfb type 1 font file, how can I use the font on > windows? Is the pfm or afm and ini files essentially required? If they > are, then how can I generate the pfm file from the pfb file? > Thanks. fontforge can generate missing pfms, or convert the whole font to Truetype if you desire. Fontforge home page: http://fontforge.sourceforge.net/ "How do I run fontforge under Windows?" http://fontforge.sourceforge.net/faq.html#windows AR wrote: > > If I have just a pfb type 1 font file, how can I use the font on > windows? Is the pfm or afm and ini files essentially required? If they > are, then how can I generate the pfm file from the pfb file? > Thanks. You need the pfm file; this is the file Windows gets the font metrics from (i.e. the width of the glyphs ("characters"), and the kerning information). In principle, it would be possible to get the width information from the font file itself (the pfb file), but the kerning info is a different thing. Helge -- Helge Blischke Softwareentwicklung SRZ Berlin | Firmengruppe besscom http://www.srz.de In article <431477CC.D1341E91@srz.de>, Helge Blischke <h.blischke@srz.de> writes: > > AR wrote:...

Typing Eight-Bit Input Using the Alt or Meta Key

Pressing ALT obscures components when using Windows L&F
I have a JFrame that displays a big JLabel in the background and aJCheckBox in the front.When using the Windows L&F and I press the Alt-key the JLabel isrepainted but not the JCheckBox in front of it. As a consequence thecheckbox disappears. Forcing a repaint (e.g. by resizing the frame)will make the checkbox re-appear.When not using the Window L&F everything is fine.Any suggestion how to work around this problem?ubHere the sourcecode:-----import java.awt.Color;import javax.swing.JCheckBox;import javax.swing.JFrame;import javax.swing.JLabel;import javax.swing.UnsupportedLookAndFeelExce...

How to open a logical partition and read all of its file using windows function ReadFile() ? Question How to open a logical partition and read all of its file using windows function ReadFile() ?
Hii In my application , wanna copy all files from one partition to another partition. First I copied a file that I taken default and copied to another partition. The above operation is done by using the control code "FSCTL_GET_RETRIEVAL_POINTERS". The clusters used are read and wrote into destination volume using readfile() and writefile() windows functions. Now I gotta copy all files..... So how to proceed ....?? Thanking you. On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 09:37:42 -0700 (PDT), krish <krishnampkkm@gmail.com> wrote: >Hii > >In my applicatio...

Converting non-ASCII-characters into TeX/HTML tags "as you type"
Hello there! Is there a possibility to convert non-ASCII character (especially Umlauts, =C4=E4=D6=F6=DC=FC=DF, =E9, etc) into the corresponding (La)TeX commands while typing in Emacs (22). In the German TeX-FAQ (11.4.2), I found some code which isn't working, at least not on my Mac. (add-hook 'TeX-mode-hook (function (lambda () (local-set-key [228] (function (lambda () (interactive) (insert "\"a") ;; oder ; (insert "\\\"a") ))) ;; and so on... ))) In C-h l those keys give me =C4 \200, =E4 \212, =D6 \205, =F6 \232, =DC \206, =FC \237. But my attempts to include those into that code snippet failed as bad as this one: (global-set-key [\200] "\"A") Is there any way to solve this? Thanks in advance! Goodbite setrok Hi again! I forgot to say: I couldn't find a solution in the Emacs key-bindings FAQ. Goobite setrok Hi! setrok wrote: > Is there a possibility to convert non-ASCII character (especially > Umlauts, �������, �, etc) into the corresponding (La)TeX > commands while typing in Emacs (22). The following inserts \"a whenever you type �: (global-set-key "�" '(lambda () (interactive) (insert "\\\"a"))) You can add corresponding bindings for the remaining letters. All the best, Markus. Hi Markus! Thank you! > (global-set-key "=E4" '(lambda () (interactive) (insert "\\\&quo...

Using a window style in a Toplevel window
Hi. I use Python 3.1 and Tkinter.ttk 8.5 on Ubuntu 9.10. CODE:---------------------------------------------------- module:FMain.py from tkinter import ttk from FSecondWindow import * class App: def __init__(self,master): button1 = ttk.Button(master,text='Show TopLevel',command=lambda:window()) button1.pack() master = Tk() app = App(master) style = ttk.Style() style.theme_use('clam') master.mainloop() module:FSecondWindow.py from tkinter import * from tkinter import ttk def window(): t = Toplevel() b...

Can I use VB to dump all my global vars & values to the immediate window w/o typing them all individually?
Can I use Access Basic to dump global var's & values to immediate window in Access 2.0? Can I use it in Access 97 to do the same thing? And please, I can obviously run the following... Debug.Print "MyGlobalVar = "; MyGlobalVar .... that's not what I'm looking for here. I wanna do it without explicitly typing them all in code. There's no way that I'm aware of. Why not create a sub that does it for you, so that you can simply type the sub's name and everything will be typed out. Yes, you'd need to type the multiple "Debug.Print" statements into that sub yourself, but you'd only have to do it once. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) "MLH" <CRCI@NorthState.net> wrote in message news:n1ejn0pjl6esl535ql4a0riomfec4o1t9h@4ax.com... > Can I use Access Basic to dump global var's & values > to immediate window in Access 2.0? > > Can I use it in Access 97 to do the same thing? > > And please, I can obviously run the following... > > Debug.Print "MyGlobalVar = "; MyGlobalVar > > ... that's not what I'm looking for here. I wanna do > it without explicitly typing them all in code. MLH <CRCI@NorthState.net> wrote in message news:<n1ejn0pjl6esl535ql4a0riomfec4o1t9h@4ax.com>... > Can I use Access Basic to dump global var's & values > to immediate window in Access 2.0? > > ...

Is it possible to use the Windows 2003 user names instead of pre-Windows 2000 user names in Windows Authentication?
Hello, I am trying to get username information by using User.Identity.Name.ToString, if i logged in with username to given network place, it is ok! It returns SERVERNAME/username. Otherwise if I logged in with "name.surname@SERVERNAME.com" it again returns SERVERNAME/username although i want it to return "name.surname". I changed the IIS server settings, checked digest authentication and tried the other things, too. But makes no difference. It is said to originated from Kerberos Authentication... If anyone can help me I will be appreciated. Thanks for now, MK IIS must be making the translation internally from the UPN to the sAMAccountName. It's not hard to get the UPN given the WindowsIdentity object that you have at hand, and relying on the UPN for the user's true name is bad programming practice IMHO. My recommendation is to search AD for that user's object in the directory and retrieve the first and last name properties or whatever else you need in your code. -- Thanks, Brian Desmond Windows Server MVP - Directory Services www.briandesmond.com "MaURiCe" <mkastro@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1157462878.505088.151490@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com... > Hello, > I am trying to get username information by using > User.Identity.Name.ToString, if i logged in with username to given > network place, it is ok! It returns SERVERNAME/username. > Otherwise if I logged in with "name.surname@SERVERNAME.c...

Use composite type for column data type
Is it possible to use a user-defined composite type as the data type of a column? for example, create table tbl ( a integer, b type1 ); type1 is a composite type defined separately using CREATE TYPE clause. Thanks! __________________________________ Do you Yahoo!? Friends. Fun. Try the all-new Yahoo! Messenger. http://messenger.yahoo.com/ ---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 7: don't forget to increase your free space map settings Sophie Yang <yangsophie@yahoo.com> writes: > Is it possible to use a ...

Windows Service using Fujitsu Cobol for WIndows
We are converting from Micro Focus COBOL to Fujitsu because of the new licensing fees. We have a number of Windows Services (NT Services) and need to convert them. When I talked to Fujitsu, they said we could not convert them. Then, we thought that we could write a Driver in C# (.Net) that would call the Cobol program with "pinvoke"- That works, except, when C# calls Cobol wwhich then calls Cobol- (both Cobol being non .Net)- the second Cobol program does not retain in Working Storage. When I reported this to Fujitsu, they said "Yes, that is correct". Has anyone been s...

create window using utility window class
Hi I can create utility window using kUtilityWindowClass using carbon API. How can I do same thing using Cocoa ? I searched a lot in cocoa, but can't find a such way p2 I believe what you want is a NSPanel, which is a subclass of NSWindow. p2 <pradip.patel@einfochips.com> wrote: > I can create utility window using kUtilityWindowClass using carbon > API. > > How can I do same thing using Cocoa ? I searched a lot in cocoa, but > can't find a such way On 2009-04-01 23:07:05 -0700, p2 <pradip.patel@einfochips.com> said: > I can create utility window using kUtilityWindowClass using carbon > API. > > How can I do same thing using Cocoa ? I searched a lot in cocoa, but > can't find a such way Create an NSPanel and set it to Utility style in Interface Builder. If you're creating it in code, don't. But if you insist on doing so, include NSUtilityWindowMask in your style mask. -- Chris ...

A good reason to use not use Windows / IE
A few months before I made the switch I had a mistyped an address and a porn site came up. I closed IE and opened a new one and found I had a porn search toolbar without being asked. I ran ad-aware and removed it. Well on Sat my wife found her google toolbar turned off and a search toolbar installed and her home page changed to srch.lop.com. Looking through her browser history the only site she visited was 1800contacts, I browsed their site a bit with the popup stopper in Mozilla turned off but I never received a popup of any kind so I don't know where the search bar came from. I had ...

Web resources about - Typing ASCII characters using Alt - comp.windows.misc

List of Killzone characters - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Cpl. Dante Garza is a loyal, optimistic and likable character- an effective team player. A close companion of Sev, the pair have served together ...

Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey says social network isn’t raising 140-character limit on tweets
Twitter upgraded its private Direct Messaging feature last year to increase the character limit from 140 to 10,000 characters, but CEO Jack Dorsey ...

Twitter’s Character Limit Will Stay 140 — Not Expand to 10,000
Despite rumblings of a 10,000-character limit on Twitter, the company’s CEO told The Today Show that the 140-character limit is here to stay. ...

Twitter CEO finally confirms whether or not the 140 character limit is going away
... life into the social networking service, Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey earlier this year floated the idea that Twitter might increase the 140 character ...

'Games of Thrones' book characters ages - Business Insider
Sansa, Daenerys and Arya are way younger than you think.

Twitter keeping 140-character limit on tweets after all
Despite rumors to the contrary, it looks like Twitter won't be letting users bloviate endlessly via tweets. The 140-character limit isn't going ...

UN names Angry Birds character Red to tackle climate change
UNITED NATIONS (AP) — Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on Friday named Red, the starring animated character in the soon-to-be-released "The Angry ...

Twitter’s Jack Dorsey takes on censorship, trolls and the140-character limit
... Twitter co-founder and CEO Jack Dorsey said the company doesn't censor users' tweets, and the company's not doing away with the 140-character ...

Twitter CEO: 140-Character Limit Too Iconic To Expand
All our hopes and dreams of expressing ourselves with more than 140-character snippets on Twitter have been dashed: the social media company ...

Twitter is keeping its 140-character limit
... The Today Show on Friday to celebrate the company's 10 anniversary. While there, Dorsey confirmed to host Matt Lauer that Twitter's 140-character ...