Windows 2000 Server "Opening" an Access XP Database?

Through the Access LDB viewer (MS tool used to "see" who is using an
Access database) we are seeing one of our Windows 2000 servers in the
as a "listed user."

For those that do not know: A "LDB" is a file created by MS Access
when 1 or more users open an Access database in "non-exclusive" mode.
The "LDB" file exists for the duration of database sessions. During
that time the "LDB" file cannot be removed.

In detail: We start with a single database file (.mdb) and no LDB file
located on a "Freshly rebooted" Windows 2K Server. When a single user
opens the
Access Database from a workstation we see two "users listed." In the
LDB viewer we see the correct workstation (as expected) and the
Windows 2000 Server (not expected/desired). After the user at the
workstation logs off we still see the Windows 2000 Server as a listed
user.

Only after rebooting can we delete the LDB (lock) file. Which
translates to the fact that "Access" is behaving as if the Windows
2000 server is using the database file.

Note that we have the same "setup" (below) at 5+ other sites. None of
the other sites is exhibiting the same behavior.

Setup: Windows 2000 Server - Access XP Database located on the server.

Any ideas/suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Even bad ideas are
worth mulling over for a few moments!
0
groups86 (30)
2/12/2004 1:15:57 PM
comp.windows.misc 3202 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

installing "oracle 81.5 for windows nt" on windows xp/2000
Hi I'm using Pentium IV 3.0 GHz (HT enabled) with Windows XP (SP2) as my home pc. I was able to install Oracle 8.1.5 Enterprise Edition for Windows NT in this machine (perhaps, successfully) . Immediately upon installing, I was able to login and create a user, and things like that. But after i shutdown and restart the OS, the OracleStartServiceId service is shown as "Starting" in the windows services utility(start->settings->control panel->administrative tools->services) and the service would not just start. All other oracle services are able to get started and running. I also installed on windows 2000, same result as mentioned above. Now, please help me with the following : 1. Is it problem of installing of oracle database meant for windows nt but installed on windows xp 2. Is it Pentium-IV related problem. 3. Is it Pentium-IV HT related prob. (disabling HT in the bios solves the prob?) Appreciate greatly for the HELP to overcome this installation problem. TIA Best regards dream liner dream liner wrote: > > 1. Is it problem of installing of oracle database meant for windows nt > but installed on windows xp > 2. Is it Pentium-IV related problem. > 3. Is it Pentium-IV HT related prob. (disabling HT in the bios solves > the prob?) > Probably all of the above. Any reason you are using this version ? - it is very old, and predates XP, W2000 and indeed even pentium chips. You can get the latest version free for download ...

Python Paramiko between Linux and Windows Server -- no output obtained from Windows for "dir" or "cd" commands
Hello There: I am using Python 2.7.6 and Paramiko module (on a Linux server) to connect = to a Windows server and send some commands and get output. I have a connect= function which takes IP, username and password of the remote Windows serve= r and I get an sshobj when that happens. How do I use it to send remote cal= ls is my question? If it were a local system, I would just say "os.system" but not sure about = the remote calls. Can someone help? My code looks like below: sys.path.append("/home/me/code") import libs.ssh_connect as ssh ssh_obj =3D ssh.new_conn(IP, username, password) stdin, stdout, stderr =3D ssh_obj.exec_command("dir") #since the remote = system I am SSHing into is Windows. my "new_conn" looks like this: import paramiko def new_conn(IP, username, password): ssh_obj =3D paramiko.SSHClient() ssh_conn.set_missing_host_key_policy(paramiko.AutoAddPolicy()) ssh_conn.connect(IP, username, password), timeout=3D30) return ssh_obj =09 if I replaced "dir" with "ipconfig" it works fine. I wonder how I can make = "dir" work - or for that matter.. with "cd /path/to/dir"? I know for paramiko's ssh connection to work, i need cygwin installed on a = Windows. Objective is to run commands remotely from a Linux to a Windows se= rver and then process the output again on Linux server or on Windows itself= .. I am confused becaus...

WIndows 2000 "My Computer" Window
I'm creating an application that I would like to have reside in the "My Computer" window. Anyone know how I would be about installing an icon into that window??? Thanks for any help... * Lucci: > I'm creating an application that I would like to have reside in the "My > Computer" window. Anyone know how I would be about installing an icon > into that window??? Thanks for any help... Better asked in a Windows programming group. Here's one way that might work (I found the question interesting so researched it, using my current Windows setup as gu...

Installing "oralce 8i (8.1.5) for windows nt" on windows xp/2000
[...]

installing "oracle 8i (8.1.5) for windows nt" on windows xp/2000
Hi I'm using Pentium IV 3.0 GHz (HT enabled) with Windows XP (SP2) as my home pc. I was able to install Oracle 8.1.5 Enterprise Edition for Windows NT in this machine (perhaps, successfully) . Immediately upon installing, I was able to login and create a user, and things like that. But after i shutdown and restart the OS, the OracleStartServiceId service is shown as "Starting" in the windows services control panel and the service would not just start. All other oracle services are able to get started and running. I also installed on windows 2000, same result as mentioned above. Now, please help me with the following : 1. Is it problem of installing of oracle database meant for windows nt but installed on windows xp 2. Is it Pentium-IV related problem. 3. Is it Pentium-IV HT related prob. (disabling HT in the bios solves the prob?) Appreciate greatly for the HELP to overcome this installation problem. TIA Best regards dream liner <venugopal.sistla@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1135827253.474446.317520@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com... > Hi > I'm using Pentium IV 3.0 GHz (HT enabled) with Windows XP (SP2) as my > home pc. I was able to install Oracle 8.1.5 Enterprise Edition for > Windows NT in this machine (perhaps, successfully) . Immediately upon > installing, I was able to login and create a user, and things like > that. > > But after i shutdown and restart the OS, the OracleStart...

Installation of "oracle 8i (8.1.5) for windows nt" on windows xp/2000
dream liner Dec 28, 9:29 am show options Newsgroups: comp.databases.oracle.server From: "dream liner" <venugopal.sis...@gmail.com> - Find messages by this author Date: 27 Dec 2005 20:29:14 -0800 Local: Wed, Dec 28 2005 9:29 am Subject: installing "oracle 81.5 for windows nt" on windows xp/2000 Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Report Abuse Hi I'm using Pentium IV 3.0 GHz (HT enabled) with Windows XP (SP2) as my home pc. I was able to install Oracle 8.1.5 Enterprise Edition for Windows NT in this machine (perhaps, successfully) . Immediately upon installing, I was able to login and create a user, and things like that. But after i shutdown and restart the OS, the OracleStartServiceId service is shown as "Starting" in the windows services in control control panel and the service would not start. All other oracle services are able to get started and running. I also installed on windows 2000, same result as mentioned above. Now, please help me with the following : 1. Is it problem of installing of oracle database meant for windows nt but installed on windows xp 2. Is it Pentium-IV related problem. 3. Is it Pentium-IV HT related prob. (disabling HT in the bios solves the prob?) How do i unknot this? Appreciate greatly for the HELP to overcome this installation problem. TIA Best regards dream liner dream liner wrote: > dream liner > Dec 28, 9:29 am show options > >...

Problem installing Access 97 with Windows XP
I have a licensed MS Office 97 package which I have moved from PC to PC over the years and I have just bought a new machine with XP Pro on it, the latest release. When I install Office, I get the error "an error occurred at changing the workgroup database" and "setup couldn't create a system.mdw file....run the workgroup administrator before you run this appliaction (-1011). When I run the workgroup administrator (something I have never had to do before) it simply tries to remake this file and the first error appears again. The rest of Office installs fine. When I try to launch Access, I get the message "microsoft access couldn't find the file .../system.mdw. This file is required for startup" (path removed for brevity). It worked fine on my last machine, which ran XP Pro Service Pack 2 (2002). And when I look for a file system.mdw on that machine, there is none there. Can anyone help me with this? TIA. richard wrote: > It worked fine on my last machine, which ran XP Pro Service Pack 2 > (2002). And when I look for a file system.mdw on that machine, there is > none there. I had this vexing problem last Fall. From what I can gather on posts vaguely related to this issue since my porblem, is there is a problem when you've got more than 512 megs of RAM on the machine that causes this. Quite simply, if you're getting this error, XP is not allowing Access to create a system.mdw in the windows/system3...

Open File as "child" in "parent" window #2
Hello - Working in VB6.0 I am attempting to open a file with its default application in a MDI. In other words, I am trying to develop a "parent" window which holds all of the "child" windows of my application. Currently I am using the openfile dialog to retrieve a filename and then I am trying to open the selected file in its default application (e.g., .doc with Word and .pdf with Adobe), where the default application opens within my parent window. Is this possible? And, if it is, how do I accomplish this? I can get a chosen file to open with the default a...

Help with opening windows XP "search"
I can't open "search" from the Start menu. when I click the "Search" button I get an error message (no number) that says "can't find the file for opening Search Companion. You may have to run startup". I don't know what to do. Can anybody help? ...

Windows 2000 "fixed" my Windows NT partition
Hi, I had two versions of Windows running on my laptop, Windows NT on C: and Windows 2000 on F: A while ago, when I launched Windows 2000, it came up with a screen that Win 2000 has found "errors" on some disks, and before I could react it started "fixing" the disk. I don't know what it did, but after the "fix" Windows NT wouldn't start anymore. Actually, I don't care about that Windows NT anymore, but I'm worried that when I just clean the C: partition something goes wrong and my Windows 2000 may not function anymore. Question: how can I: 1. either get Windows NT back working and then uninstall it. 2. or wipe the C: Windows NT partition without running into configuration problems with the F: Windows 2000 installation. Note that Windows NT was the initial operating system, and later Windows 2000 was installed. Thanks so much! Just remove c:\WinNT. If you want to play it safely, rename c:\WinNT to c:\WinNT.old, then wait a week before deleting it. "hooing" <hooing@softhome.net> wrote in message news:cf69961e.0402110609.58db4a16@posting.google.com... > Hi, > > I had two versions of Windows running on my laptop, > Windows NT on C: and Windows 2000 on F: > > A while ago, when I launched Windows 2000, it came up > with a screen that Win 2000 has found "errors" on some > disks, and before I could react it started "fixing"...

"windows socket" and "datasocket"
I'm developing a LabVIEW application, that needs to communicate with another application, developed in C++. This C++ application uses windows socket. How can I communicate with this application? If I use the TCP functions in labVIEW I can communicate with this application? Thank you very much Esther.Lopez wrote: > I'm developing a LabVIEW application, that needs to communicate with > another application, developed in C++. This C++ application uses > windows socket. > How can I communicate with this application? If I use the TCP > functions in labVIEW I can communicate w...

Why "window.alert()" over "alert()"?
While reading c.l.j, I've noticed that some people prefer and indeed even recommend the use of "window.alert()" over "alert()". I can't find any technical reason to make this distinction, and seems to have a (tiny) amount overhead since window itself points to the global object, hence, a circular reference. (From everything I am reading, window is just a REFERENCE back to the global object, as opposed to a separate object.) Which brings me to two ideas: a) Either I am wrong, and window is really its own augmented object through a grammar I don't follow ...

Access windows applications from AIX SAS "X" Command and "Call Module"
Hi, I have SAS 9.2 installed (Pretty much all licenses) on AIX server and EG 4.= 2 on my PC. I am working on series of SAS programs which needs to be execut= ed step by step; kinda uses output from one program as input for next progr= am. So at one of the step, the program calls in 'X' Command as followed %IF &N. =3D 8 %THEN %DO; DATA _NULL_; X 'C:\AHRQQI\AHRQPrediction\AHRQ.exe C:\AHRQQI\IQI\Prediction_PIQ08.xml'; RUN; %END; with this step there will be an output generated on PC; after this step the= re is other SAS program uses this output to ...

How do I open a new normal (full sized) browser window form a small "pop-up" window?
Hi Can anyone tell me how to open up a new normal, full-sized browser window from a small popup window? I'm using something like this. <script language="javascript"> <!-- function OpenWin(theURL,winName,features) { theURL = theURL + "?URL="+window.parent.location; window.open(theURL,winName,features); } //--> </script> <a href="javascript: OpenWin('http://www.auction-air.com/bidding_advice_no_menu.html','advice_win ','scrollbars=yes,width=600,height=550,resizable=yes,left=20,top=20')"&g...

Docker on Windows in a "Windows Container"
This is from October of last year: <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/10/15/docker_app_containers_coming_to_windows_server/> _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Microsoft hates to be left out, and already offers support for Docker on Linux in its Azure cloud. Now it has announced the Docker Engine on Windows Server; support for Docker orchestration APIs to allow management of apps across both Windows and Linux with Docker tools; and the availability of Docker app images for instant deployment from the Azure portal, via integration with the official Docker Hub repository. The support for Dock...

how to "center" the window position of a custom popup window with regard to its parent window?
Is there a way to make a custom popup window (not using tk_dialog nor tk_ messagebox) appear in the middle of the parent window without specifying absolute pixel coordinates(e.g. +20+20 of the 'wm geometry' command)? (positionWindow makes it appear exactly in the left corner of the parent - what I'm trying to achieve is to make it appear exactly in the middle as is the case when using tk_dialog/tk_messagebox). Without specifying pixels the popup appears at a certain default position - that might be even outside the parent window. Thanks, Alex O/H Alex Wanderleit έγραψε: > > > Is there a way to make a custom popup window (not using tk_dialog nor > tk_ messagebox) appear in the middle of the parent window without > specifying absolute pixel coordinates(e.g. +20+20 of the 'wm geometry' > command)? > > (positionWindow makes it appear exactly in the left corner of the > parent - what I'm trying to achieve is to make it appear exactly in the > middle as is the case when using tk_dialog/tk_messagebox). > > Without specifying pixels the popup appears at a certain default > position - that might be even outside the parent window. > > Thanks, > Alex From http://wiki.tcl.tk/534: Center Window on Parent by Markus Pietrek on comp.lang.tcl (RWT) toplevel .child set parent . set child .child # This should display $child centered in $parent set w [winfo width $parent] set h [winfo ...

open the Access Options Window from "Office Button" in MSAccess Runtime 2007
How can I open the Access Options Window from "Office Button" in MSAccess 2007 ? I have a runtime of MSAccess and I need to Add New Location in Trusted Locations tab. Thanks a lot in advance. Here's a link that might help: http://blogs.msdn.com/access/archive/2008/04/08/avoiding-security-prompts-for-runtime-applications.aspx Andy <chrisdev3@gmail.com> wrote in message news:e3c31a0f-cb61-4cc6-8a13-8a4f446bddad@i76g2000hsf.googlegroups.com... > How can I open the Access Options Window from "Office Button" in > MSAccess 2007 ? I have a runtime of MSAccess and I need to Add New > Location in Trusted Locations tab. > > Thanks a lot in advance. ...

Windows 8 -- "disjointed" "schizophrenic"
The conclusion of the article on Windows 8... ~~ There are two franchises about which most folks who have known me for any duration of time will conclude I am a loyal fan, despite all the headaches and the miserable episodes. But between Windows 8 and the 2009 Star Trek movie, it is the latter which displays the greatest continuity with its predecessors. And that is saying something. There is a new, vast, and potentially loyal group of users who are just now being introduced to a higher plane of technology by way of tablets and multitouch PCs. If Microsoft seriously intends to meet these new users with a schizophrenic, disjointed, loose assembly of dead ends that is anywhere near the state of the current Windows 8 Consumer Preview, then it will lose those users and it will never get them back. This is where the future of Windows either finally comes together or completely falls apart. ~~ http://snipurl.com/22nmew7 What a mess. -- RonB Registered Linux User #498581 CentOS 5.7 or VectorLinux Deluxe 6.0 or Linux Mint 10 RonB wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties: > The conclusion of the article on Windows 8... > > ~~ > There are two franchises about which most folks who have known me for any > duration of time will conclude I am a loyal fan, despite all the headaches > and the miserable episodes. But between Windows 8 and the 2009 Star Trek > movie, it is the latter which displays the greatest continuity with its > pre...

Too few parameters expected 2 error occurs after migrating "MS Access 2000" to "MS SQL Server"
Hello all I get Too few parameters expected 2 error and "The MS Jet Database engine cannot find the input table or query "myTempTablename". Make sure it exists and that its name is spelled correctly. 3078" after I migrated "MS Access 2000" to "MS SQL Server 2000" and relinked all linked tables. The front-end interface of my application is MS Access 2000. The back-end is MS SQL Server 2000. After I migrated the database and relinked all linked tables, "Too few parameters expected 2" and "input table or query "myTempTablename" 3078" error occurs. I found a article in Microsoft website. The "Too few parameter" error occurs because the limitation of the MS Access ODBC driver. If it is, any solution? Thanks in advance Cheers Bon Hi Bon, If you mean you are getting the error when you are trying to relink the tables through ODBC, then the problem could be - if your table(s) had a memo field, that sql server picked up the memo field as a varchar, and Access is trying to read a text field that exceeds 255 chars. You need to go to Query Analyzer (sql server QA) and run some queries against the offending table to see what the text length is in your varchar fields in the sql server table. And if Sql Server did pick up an Access memo field as a Sql Server Text field, ODBC can't read Sql Server Text fields. If any of the varchar fields exceeds 250 chars (for me I get errors after exceeding 250 cha...

"window server" bogging down
I have a Mac Mini running Tiger 10.4.11. Over the past while the system starts to bog down if I use YouTube or any other video website, to the point of hanging Firefox for quite some time until I Force Quit. Rebooting FF does nothing, nor does clearing its cache. The only current solution is to reboot the entire machine. When it starts to bog down the fan spins up, showing that the system is working hard. Opening Activity Monitor shows "Window Server" using up to 80% of the CPU. I've made no big changes to my system or added any big chunks of software. Any ideas as to how t...

Is your Windows PC, "Windows 7 Ready?"
Get your tool and check your processor, memory storage and graphics processor, etc. so on and so forth. http://www.informationweek.com/news/windows/operatingsystems/showArticle. jhtml?articleID=217400035&subSection=Operating+Systems -- Mike "Mike" <mike@nononccfaba.org> wrote in message news:mike-BBDCB2.06281009052009@nntp.teranews.com... > Get your tool and check your processor, memory storage and graphics > processor, etc. so on and so forth. > > http://www.informationweek.com/news/windows/operatingsystems/showArticle. > jhtml?articleID=217400035&subSection=Operating+Systems > -- > Mike Notice how your stupid newsreader doe,'t wrap the URL? On Sat, 9 May 2009 08:17:56 -0400, mocassin joe wrote: > > "Mike" <mike@nononccfaba.org> wrote in message > news:mike-BBDCB2.06281009052009@nntp.teranews.com... >> Get your tool and check your processor, memory storage and graphics >> processor, etc. so on and so forth. >> >> http://www.informationweek.com/news/windows/operatingsystems/showArticle. >> jhtml?articleID=217400035&subSection=Operating+Systems > > Notice how your stupid newsreader doe,'t wrap the URL? > > In other words, zara, the URL is broken for you. And dealing with signatures is still broken for you as well, I see. "Tim Murray" <no-spam@thankyou.com> wrote in message news:0001HW.C62AF35700214A4AF0182648@216.7...

"Windows+M" with grabbed windows : bug
Hi ! I regularly use modal dialog boxes (i.e. grabbed windows) in my apps under Win XP. When such a box is opened, and when "Windows Logo + M" is depressed (minize all windows), then the application gets into an irrecoverable state... Is this a known Tk limitation ? Thanks ! On Nov 7, 11:45=A0am, Thomas MENEZ <menez.tho...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi ! I regularly use modal dialog boxes (i.e. grabbed windows) in > my apps under Win XP. When such a box is opened, and when > "Windows Logo + M" is depressed (minize all windows), then > the application gets into an irrecoverable state... > Is this a known Tk limitation ? > Thanks ! Here is the code to reproduce the issue. Using "transient" is at the core of the problem : toplevel .modalToplevel button .modalToplevel.b -text Button pack .modalToplevel.b # Removing this line solves the issue, as the modal dialog # remains and is discardable... : wm transient .modalToplevel . grab set .modalToplevel On Nov 7, 10:45=A0am, Thomas MENEZ <menez.tho...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi ! I regularly use modal dialog boxes (i.e. grabbed windows) in > my apps under Win XP. When such a box is opened, and when > "Windows Logo + M" is depressed (minize all windows), then > the application gets into an irrecoverable state... > Is this a known Tk limitation ? > Thanks ! Hi, I reported this recently as Tk bug #3414089 It is a consequence of change #1847002 which was...

Creating a window that "pushes down" rest of windows
OK, Maybe the topic didn't make much sense. Let me tell you what I'm trying to figure out how to do and see if it is possible. I currently am creating a program that displays news headlines in a Perl/Tk window at the top of the user's screen. I am using Tk::AlwaysOnTop to keep the window always on top. However, I am having one problem. I need the window to sort of "push" the desktop down. By that I mean, (assume im on a Windows XP machine) if the user minimizes all windows, my program will still be there, but when the user looks at their desktop, my program i...

Web resources about - Windows 2000 Server "Opening" an Access XP Database? - comp.windows.misc