windows XP home to XP Pro problem

I am trying to upgrade from XP Home to XP pro, and every time that i
try i get a message that my DVD-RAM driver is not compatable with Pro,
and may not work once the install is complete, as the install
continues the dvd stops spinning and the install stalls out and i have
to restore the computer to the original XP home.  I tried downloading
the new drivers from toshiba's website and ran microsofts upgrade
wizard and it still told me that the DVD-RAM driver was not
compatable, anyone have a clue? I really need XP pro for work and the
sooner i can get this clarified the better.  Thanks in advance for any
ideas.

greg keller
comp.windows.misc 3202 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

HP Pavilion ze4420. Upgrading from Windows XP Home to Windows XP Pro
I had a HP Pavilion ze4420us and, shortly after I bought it, I decided to upgrade my OS from Win XP home to Win XP pro. I did a FRESH install (no upgrade), but I suppose that an upgrade should prevent to do these steps. It was a little bit tricky to restore all the HP original functionalities. But seems that I've finally succeded. So I've decided to write a simple guide to do it. Hope it helps! Install normally your Window XP Professional. After that, you have to find the following files from the HP support website: http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/softwareList.jhtml?reg=&cc=us&prodId=hppavilion331508&lc=en&plc=&softitem=Microsoft%20Windows%20XP&sw_lang=en&pagetype=software SP23128.exe for Intervideo DVD Player SP23455.exe for Conexant Audio Driver SP23603.exe for Notebook Utilities SP23612.exe for One-Touch buttons SP24444.exe for Synaptics Touchpad SP25731.exe for ATI Radeon IGP 320M (video adapter) After that, you should have a perfectly working laptop with XP Pro. Enjoy! ...

Windows XP Pro vs XP Home
This has to be a really dumb question, but what's the difference? Is there any reason to hold out for XP Pro on a machine that will be used only for basic web browsing and word processing? Thanks. In article <7xek4mvd2w.fsf_-_@ruckus.brouhaha.com>, Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> says... > This has to be a really dumb question, but what's the difference? Is > there any reason to hold out for XP Pro on a machine that will be used > only for basic web browsing and word processing? Thanks. Not really - Pro has stuff like network domains included in it. For basic home stuff, there's no reall need for Pro. -- AG Remove removes from address to remove anti-spam measures. ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Alan Gauton E-Mail agauton @ postmaster.co.uk Never for me the lowered banner, never the last endeavour! (Damon Hill - 16th June 1999) On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 01:23:19 -0800, Paul Rubin wrote: > This has to be a really dumb question, but what's the difference? Is > there any reason to hold out for XP Pro on a machine that will be used > only for basic web browsing and word processing? Thanks. The only reason to want pro in a home environment, really, is the extra granularity of security control. For instance, you can set 'little johnny' up with an account that gives him the bare minimum of privileges, so that he can't install programs downloaded...

WINDOWS XP PRO --> WINDOWS 2003 SERVER
Hello, I want to add to the domain a computer but I can't. Client PC with Windows XP Pro can only see itself and the same with the windows 2003 server. The ping doesn't work. Maybe the problems are the IP numbers? Hardware is correctly installed and appears in both computers the network icon working. Can someone help me? Thanks in advance. PeeWee You must get basic network TCP/IP connectivity working first. PING tests will help. Once that happens then try joining the PC to the domain. Can you describe your network and TCP/IP network addressing? ...

Windows xp Pro cannot see Windows 2000 Pro
I have been trying to solve this problem for months! I have 4 PCs in a workgroup, 3 are Windows XP Pro and 1 is a Windows 2000 Pro. The Windows 2000 PC can see all of the Windows XP machines. It can copy files to them it can share the printer connected to one of them no issues. None of the Windows xp (2 are sp2 1 is sp1)can see the Windows 2000 PC. If I ping the 2000 PC I get back an Ip address, but it times out. I have double checked the Workgroup name. They all login as administrator same password. They can all get to the internet using the cable modem connected to one of the...

Re: For Windows-techies : Going from XP Home to XP Pro because of SAS #2
People, I sent an email to SAS support asking if sas would run on windows XP home. They basically said, they have not tested sas with xp home and do not intend to test that combination. Kind of disappointing Dave -----Original Message----- From: ben.powell@CLA.CO.UK [mailto:ben.powell@CLA.CO.UK] Sent: Tuesday, September 14, 2004 4:10 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: For Windows-techies : Going from XP Home to XP Pro because of SAS In answer to the original question, were you to install XP Pro, the default action on this windows upgrade would be to not format your hard-drive. In or...

Putty from Windows XP to Windows 2000 pro server
I've been using Putty telnet for some time (and very satisfactorily) to connect to a Solaris server. Now I'm trying to use it to connect to a Windows 2000 server. The character based application on the server uses tip files to control screen addressing - line draw chars, cursor movement, reverse type etc. - and to interpret function, delete, insert keys etc. However I can't find a combination of putty configuration setting and tip file which is entirely OK. On unix it's easy to trap function key sequences and modify tip files, but how do you do this on windows? I'd be grateful for help with this. ...

WANTED: DELL WINDOWS 7 PRO Disks, DELL WINDOWS XP PRO & VISTA BUSINESS
WANTED: DELL WINDOWS 7 PRO Disks, DELL WINDOWS XP PRO & VISTA BUSINESS - We are buying in large quantities We are wanting to buy large quantities of Dell Windows 7 Pro Disks. We are also looking to buy Dell Windows XP Pro and possibly some Vista Business as well. We also buy Microsoft, Dell, HP and other Office software packages 2000, 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012 all versions. We like to buy in quantity. We also buy the below. We buy old and new versions of Microsoft Office, Server, Windows & others. Adobe Acrobat 9 and X and others titles. Symantec Norton Antivirus, NIS and 360. We are emailing you because we are Looking to buy software from you in larger quantities. If you are looking to sell Quantities 10-20 or more email us! However we will buy Server packages in quantities of 1-3 or more. Email me directly at craig.softnet@gmail.com We buy old and new versions of Microsoft Office, Server, Windows & others. Adobe Acrobat 9 and X and others titles. Symantec Norton Antivirus, NIS and 360. I am looking to BUY large quantities of Microsoft Office PKC medialess license kits 2007, 2010, 2012 MICROSOFT WINDOWS 2000 PRO, WINDOWS XP PRO, VISTA, WINDOWS 7 SOFTWARE MICROSOFT OFFICE 2000, 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012. XP, SBE, STANDARD AND PRO & OTHERS MICROSOFT SERVER 2003, 2008, 2010 Standard, Premium, Enterprise SQL & OTHER PACKAGES We BUY Microsoft, Corel, Adobe, Macromedia, Symantec, Veritas and others. Email directly: craig.soft...

[...]

Windows XP Pro $49.95 XP

Problems upgrading from XP Home to XP Pro
I bought a Toshiba Satellite A55-S3063 running Windows XP Home last fall and have been pretty happy with it until today. This morning, I upgraded the OS to Windows XP Pro (with SP 2), and in a very short period of time I already have observed the following problems, and I suspect more are waiting to be discovered. I already called Toshiba's customer support line, and they were completely unhelpful, suggesting only that I "do a Google search" for possible answers (which, however, is exactly what I did). Here are the problems, in descending order of annoyance: 1. The scroll function on my touchpad has stopped working. When I went to Control Panel > Mouse, I found that the only tab for controlling anything touchpad related is labeled "TouchPad On/Off," and the touchpad is indeed on. I downloaded and installed the Alps Pointing driver from Toshiba's website (twice), but this didn't seem to have any effect--nothing changed either in Control Panel or in the behavior of the touchpad. 2. The Start > Help and Support function (standard Windows help, customized for Toshiba) hangs when I request a search of Help topics. (This is the one where my friendly Toshiba rep suggested that I Google a solution.) 3. Clicking on hyperlinks within emails now open up the Open File dialog, rather than opening up the hyperlink! Any help would be GREATLY appreciated... I would never do an upgrade I would do a fresh install if you had xp home all you neede...

Windows XP Pro $49.95 Windows

Transferring data from Windows ME to Windows XP(Pro)
Hi folks. Wonder if anyone would be kind enough to offer some advice. I HAVE seen this posted in groups before, but never had previous need for it, but now I have. Palm Desktop 4.1 on PC running Windows ME, for Palm TT. NEW PC running Windows XP-Pro How to I ensure that I get all the data across to my new PC, please?? Just the details within the Palm user file on my old PC? And what about the programmes (Splash Data, Documents to go etc)? Would appreciate any positive (helpful) feedback, or the Palm Solution number (if anyone knows it) Thanks folks PS/ Anyone know...

can either windows 2000 Pro or Windows Xp Pro handle different language user interfaces?
Hello, I want to install windows 2000 Pro or Windows XP Pro, but I need English and/or Italian, Spanish , Japanese user interfaces. Is this possible with either of these operating systems when bootins ? Can I choose in what language to boot ? Or Can I have a different language for each user created ? Please explain me what I need. Thanks, Mario I think there is a software tool from Microsoft, which can translate the dialogs. The system self will be english, but you can set all dialogs to another language. I know that this tool is available, but I'm not sure if it's from Microsoft or from a 3. party company. Hope this helps a little bit. Greets Stefan "Mario" <mandm@flashnet.it> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:9ae829af.0308140910.333b88b1@posting.google.com... > Hello, > > I want to install windows 2000 Pro or Windows XP Pro, but I need > English and/or Italian, Spanish , Japanese user interfaces. > > Is this possible with either of these operating systems when bootins ? > Can I choose in what language to boot ? Or Can I have a different > language for each user created ? > > Please explain me what I need. > > Thanks, > > Mario ...

WTB: LARGE QUANTITIES DELL WINDOWS XP PRO & WINDOWS 2000 PRO RESTORE PACKS
WTB: LARGE QUANTITIES DELL WINDOWS XP PRO & WINDOWS 2000 PRO RESTORE PACKS We are looking to buy large quantities of DELL WINDOWS XP PRO, WINDOWS 2000 PRO RESTORE PACKS.. Must include manual and restore media new sealed...or media itself sealed in white enevelope. Email buyonet@hotmail.com if you have these. Also buying the below... WE ARE ALSO BUYING MICROSOFT OFFICE, SERVER, WINDOWS & NT WORKSTATION SOFTWARE PACKAGES OEM & RETAIL We need to buy today quantities of MICROSOFT OFFICE, SERVER, WINDOWS & NT WORKSTATION SOFTWARE PACKAGES OEM & RETAIL.. Email us if you h...

windows 2000 and windows xp networking problem with athentication
i am trying to do a peer to peer with a windows 2000 machine and a xp corp machine. i can see the machines in my network places, but when i try to connect to the xp machine it ask for username and password, we have usernames and passwords set up for both machines , they are the same ones we use to log onto our own machines. they both have admin rights. when we put in the username and password and hit ok it just ask for it again and doesnt connect..we are both connected to a router for my cable connection..the firewall allows acces from our ip's..any help..thanks rh_nayan@msn.com (Rakib Hassan) wrote in message news:<1a0a9065.0309020146.582df00f@posting.google.com>... > news:<60f42cdd.0309011214.6f20358a@posting.google.com>... > Hi guys, > you must got problems in sharing permissions.if it doesnt work then > make a dc(win2000)and make the xp pc its(dc's) client.i hope it will > work. check your registry settings HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa Maybe there is a key FORCEGUEST, if yes, edit the value to 0 Just insert the XP CD choose preform other tasks and click set up network, follow the wizzard and it'll sort it out (worked for me) XP is against manual settings obviously. Do it with both machines (yes its legal, even recomended by MS - see wizzard) and you will be fine. Tarl ...

Windows XP Pro networking problem
I've got two computer, both running Windows XP Pro and both running Norton Internet Security 2004. They are connected to ADSL through a hub, and both get internet access without any problems. However, after running the XP home networking wizard, they do not network. Disabling the Windows firewall does nothing: the two computers do not see each other, or even seem to recognize a network. I'd really like to be able to share files and a printer between these two computers, but I'm at a loss as to how I go about this. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do to get this work...

Windows XP Home vs. Pro
Is there any difference to be aware of as far as gaming goes? On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 23:44:56 GMT, "jeffc" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote: >Is there any difference to be aware of as far as gaming goes? Pro handles SMP, which may or may not be a consideration for you, probably not though. -- Andrew, contact via interpleb.blogspot.com Help make Usenet a better place: English is read downwards, please don't top post. Trim replies to quote only relevant text. Check groups.google.com before asking an obvious question. "jeffc" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:Yd%3e.16504$QB6.1062288@twister.southeast.rr.com... > Is there any difference to be aware of as far as gaming goes? Not as far as I can tell - I have XPpro installed on 2 machines and home on one. I would swear that Pro is more of a resource hog, but I suspect this is just me being paranoid... Pro probably has more services running to do with security, networking and so on. On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 23:44:56 GMT, "jeffc" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote: >Is there any difference to be aware of as far as gaming goes? > The biggest differences are multi-CPU support (SMP) and networking ability. Pro has more network enabled features, since it is assumed you will be a member of a domain, etc. For gaming, you should, in theory, be fine with Home. Personally, I use Pro on all my systems, but that is just me. I have Pro at work, and want the same OS whe...

SMB problem with Windows XP home
Hi I have bought a Netgear EVA 8000 multimedia server. In my network I have 2 pc. One is running Win XP Pro and the other Win Xp Home. My Win Xp home machine is my main computer ,and its also there i installed the EVA 8000 software. I have in both the Pro machine and the home machine added file shares for media content. The EVA 8000 use SMB the find the files on the network . It without any problem find all the files on the Win XP Pro computer , but its hopeless the get the XP home computer to share any files. I have used Etherreal to trace in the XP home computer and SMB logges in , but when it start to get the shared directories SMB compain with status_bad_network_name , and then disconnect. I have tried everything but I dont know what to change more. Any ideas what to do? ...

Problems with MPICH On Windows XP Pro
I am running MPICH 1.2.5 on a 3 machine Win2k cluster. The Sample MPICH programs work fine. When I run my program with -localonly it works fine with -np 3 When I run it without -localonly I get the error message ERROR: The root process on <LOCAL_MACHINE_NAME> has unexpectedly exited. Exit code =128 Help! Andrew ...

Problems with Windows XP(Home) Ethernet
Hello All, I have problems with my Ethernet. My Ethernet card is "VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter" using through a Firewall (McAfee) Status: Local Area Connection Ethernet It says: ------------------------------------- "Limited or no connectivity" You might not be able to access the internet or some network resources. This problem occurred because the network did not assign a network address to the computer. ------------------------------------- There is an option for repair. I have tried many times without success. It says: ------------------------------------- "If clicking Repairs does not restore connectivity, the problem might be with the network, not with this computer. Contact the person who manages your network. ------------------------------------- I have contacted my ISP but they are not helpful. I would appreciate your help. With Regards, dex dex.c. wrote: > Hello All, > > I have problems with my Ethernet. > My Ethernet card is "VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter" > using through a Firewall (McAfee) > > Status: Local Area Connection Ethernet > > It says: > ------------------------------------- > "Limited or no connectivity" > You might not be able to access the internet or some network resources. This > problem occurred because the network did not assign a network address to the > computer. > ------------------------------------- > > There is an option...

Windows XP Pro networking problem
I've got two computer, both running Windows XP Pro and both running Norton Internet Security 2004. They are connected to ADSL through a hub, and both get internet access without any problems. However, after running the XP home networking wizard, they do not network. Disabling the Windows firewall does nothing: the two computers do not see each other, or even seem to recognize a network. I'd really like to be able to share files and a printer between these two computers, but I'm at a loss as to how I go about this. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do to get this work...

Windows XP- Home vs. Pro ...?
Here's a sort of not exactly off topic question.... I've been thinking I should probably upgrade one of my systems to Windows XP just to be certain everything I do will run successfully on that OS, as well as a trend I've noticed with some tools no longer being suitable for use with Windows 98. My question is- Has anyone any suggestions about the choice of the Home version versus the Professional version of XP..? I remember TechTV saying the Pro version is the only way to go because of its networking abilities and more robust security, but I'm not certain ...

** Possible to run Windows ME properly within Windows XP Pro ?? **
Anyone know if it is possible to actually run Windows ME while running Windows XP Pro so that you do not have to reboot the computer into a different OS? Possibly by using two different drives or some unqiue software or something? I need to run a specific piece of software which only runs on Windows ME or Win 98 but don't want to have to completly reboot in order to do it as I like XP Pro. -David The product VMWare: http://www.vmware.com/ in particular: http://www.vmware.com/landing/ws4_home.html enables several operating systems to be run simultaneously. Skip Knoble, P...

Problem with Windows XP and ACPI driver on my Targa Visionary XP
Hello, i buyed my Targa notebook (Visionary XP) with windows xp home. I had no problems with any acpi drivers or else. But i had to install Windows XP Professional, for joining into the domain at my job. But now i have the problem, that windows always means, that the notebook gets its power over the power pack, also when it gets the power from the akku. So i can't see how full or empty my akku is. Does someone have a solution for my problem. With regards, Sebastian Steiger ...

Web resources about - windows XP home to XP Pro problem - comp.windows.misc

The Windows Blog

Apple announces 9.7 inch iPad Pro, targeting existing iPad and Windows users
As part of its media event, Apple has announced a new 9.7 inch version of the iPad Pro from $599 . It features much of the same internals as ...

This is Android N’s freeform window mode
"Freeform Window Mode" running on the Android N Developer Preview. 11 more images in gallery Last week we wrote about the " Freeform Window ...

Manage, move and resize your desktop windows with WinDock
... behave just as it always did. If you don’t need WinDock’s configurability, AquaSnap delivers improved snapping, and a lot of extras: window ...

The only Windows 10 tablet you should even consider is now cheaper than ever
... means people who have purchased it over the past nine months have spent their money wisely. On the other hand, it means that Microsoft's Windows ...

Apple thinks you'll replace your Windows PC with one of its new iPads
... isn't shy about using it to steal away Microsoft users. "You might not know this, but the majority of iPad Pro users are coming from a Windows ...

What to expect from Windows 10 migrations
Process changes spurred by Windows 10 servicing model will test IT more than tech-related migration issues.

Android N has a “Freeform” Desktop-Style Floating App Window Mode
As it turns out, Google’s Multi-Window in Android N isn’t the only new multi-tasking functionality the Android team has added. If you read closely ...