Can you network 2 Windows computers with just TCP/IP?

I have 2 computers hooked up with a cross-over cable.  I am just trying to
learn more about networking here.  If I have NetBEUI installed on both computers
I am able to get them working together (one computer is an old 486 running
Windows 95 and the other is a Pentium 2 running Windows NT/Windows 98).
Although it is incredibly slow to get into the Windows 95 from my Windows NT
computer, why I don't know.  But now I am wondering, can you network 2 windows
machines with just TCP/IP?  I tried networking the other system on my Pentium
2 machine, Windows 98, to the Windows 95 machine.  But there is no communication
between machines.  I want to be able to do what I can do with NetBEUI with
TCP/IP, that is, navigate the folders of the other machine and transfer files
using the windows GUI.  Is that even possible, or can you only do things like
ping and ftp?
0
liamsbenwil
1/29/2004 5:25:03 PM
comp.windows.networking.tcp-ip 1889 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.ms-windows.networking.tcp-ip.]

On 2004-01-29, Ben Williams <liamsbenwil@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I have 2 computers hooked up with a cross-over cable.  I am just trying to
> learn more about networking here.  If I have NetBEUI installed on both computers
> I am able to get them working together (one computer is an old 486 running
> Windows 95 and the other is a Pentium 2 running Windows NT/Windows 98).
> Although it is incredibly slow to get into the Windows 95 from my Windows NT
> computer, why I don't know.  But now I am wondering, can you network 2 windows
> machines with just TCP/IP?

Microsoft file and print sharing requires NetBEUI, so unless you're
willing to sacrifice that, "no."

> I tried networking the other system on my Pentium
> 2 machine, Windows 98, to the Windows 95 machine.  But there is no communication
> between machines.  I want to be able to do what I can do with NetBEUI with
> TCP/IP, that is, navigate the folders of the other machine and transfer files
> using the windows GUI.  Is that even possible, or can you only do things like
> ping and ftp?

You can use a different network file system like NFS or NetWare if you
like.

--

-John (JohnThompson@new.rr.com)
0
"Ben Williams" <liamsbenwil@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have 2 computers hooked up with a cross-over cable.  I am just trying to
> learn more about networking here.  If I have NetBEUI installed on both
computers
> I am able to get them working together (one computer is an old 486 running
> Windows 95 and the other is a Pentium 2 running Windows NT/Windows 98).
> Although it is incredibly slow to get into the Windows 95 from my Windows NT
> computer, why I don't know.  But now I am wondering, can you network 2
windows
> machines with just TCP/IP?  I tried networking the other system on my Pentium
> 2 machine, Windows 98, to the Windows 95 machine.  But there is no
communication
> between machines.  I want to be able to do what I can do with NetBEUI with
> TCP/IP, that is, navigate the folders of the other machine and transfer files
> using the windows GUI.  Is that even possible, or can you only do things like
> ping and ftp?

Yes, you can run everything over tcp/ip.

Somewhere in the setup screens you may see an option
something like "NETBEUI over IP". Make sure it is enabled.

Deinstall the NETBEUI protocol.

--

   ...  Hank

Hank: http://horedson.home.att.net
W0RLI: http://w0rli.home.att.net

0
Hank
1/30/2004 2:33:32 AM
Sure you can, but you need to add the ip address & subnet for them to
talk to each other

liamsbenwil@hotmail.com (Ben Williams) wrote:

>I have 2 computers hooked up with a cross-over cable.  I am just trying to
>learn more about networking here.  If I have NetBEUI installed on both computers
>I am able to get them working together (one computer is an old 486 running
>Windows 95 and the other is a Pentium 2 running Windows NT/Windows 98).
>Although it is incredibly slow to get into the Windows 95 from my Windows NT
>computer, why I don't know.  But now I am wondering, can you network 2 windows
>machines with just TCP/IP?  I tried networking the other system on my Pentium
>2 machine, Windows 98, to the Windows 95 machine.  But there is no communication
>between machines.  I want to be able to do what I can do with NetBEUI with
>TCP/IP, that is, navigate the folders of the other machine and transfer files
>using the windows GUI.  Is that even possible, or can you only do things like
>ping and ftp?

0
njkat
1/30/2004 3:58:04 AM
"John Thompson" <john@starfleet.os2.dhs.org> wrote in message
> ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.ms-windows.networking.tcp-ip.]
>
> On 2004-01-29, Ben Williams <liamsbenwil@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I have 2 computers hooked up with a cross-over cable.  I am just trying
> > learn more about networking here.  If I have NetBEUI installed on both
computers
> > I am able to get them working together (one computer is an old 486
running
> > Windows 95 and the other is a Pentium 2 running Windows NT/Windows 98).
> > Although it is incredibly slow to get into the Windows 95 from my
Windows NT
> > computer, why I don't know.  But now I am wondering, can you network 2
windows
> > machines with just TCP/IP?
>
> Microsoft file and print sharing requires NetBEUI, so unless you're
> willing to sacrifice that, "no."

I don't think so. I don't have any problems file sharing among my 5 home PCs
using only tcp/ip. I also have a printer connected via parallel port on one
of the machines which can be printed to from any other machine. I do not
have netbeui installed.

mike
"La Longue Carabine"

          |"...no elector should ever submit himself
          | so implicitly to party as to support a man
          | whose private acts prove him to be unfit
          | for a public trust. The basis of the rep-
          | resentative system is character, and without
          | character, no man should be confided in."

                           -James Fenimore Cooper

0
Michael
1/30/2004 4:13:14 AM
"Hank Oredson" <horedson@att.net> wrote in message

> "Ben Williams" <liamsbenwil@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I have 2 computers hooked up with a cross-over cable.  I am just trying
> > learn more about networking here.  If I have NetBEUI installed on both
> computers
> > I am able to get them working together (one computer is an old 486
running
> > Windows 95 and the other is a Pentium 2 running Windows NT/Windows 98).
> > Although it is incredibly slow to get into the Windows 95 from my
Windows NT
> > computer, why I don't know.  But now I am wondering, can you network 2
> windows
> > machines with just TCP/IP?
>
> Yes, you can run everything over tcp/ip.
>
> Somewhere in the setup screens you may see an option
> something like "NETBEUI over IP". Make sure it is enabled.

I think you're referring to NETBIOS over tcp/ip.  I don't believe it's the
same thing as NetBEUI.

mike
"La Longue Carabine"

          |"...no elector should ever submit himself
          | so implicitly to party as to support a man
          | whose private acts prove him to be unfit
          | for a public trust. The basis of the rep-
          | resentative system is character, and without
          | character, no man should be confided in."

                           -James Fenimore Cooper

0
Michael
1/30/2004 4:15:44 AM
Thanks to everyone for responding.  I actually got this to
work!  Yippee!  I am so amazed.  The trick was to give the 2
computers IP addresses which were the same when masked by their
Subnet masks.  I also removed NetBEUI from my Windows 95
machine (the Win98 machine did not have it installed).  And I
discovered if you have a password on your computer, you need to
enter it correctly or it blocks access to the other computer.
And I can get to the other computer's directory through the GUI
and transfer files and everything.  But here's the catch:
Whereas with NetBEUI, when navigating the Win95 directories
from Win98 it would take like 30 seconds to go from clicking on
the computer's name in Network Neighborhood to getting into
that computer, and clicking on the main C: drive to getting
into that drive, etc.  But with TCP/IP, it is like
instantaneous!  So please tell me, what will I be missing by
not using NetBEUI? After I got those working, I also wanted to
get my WinNT machine networked in this cool TCP/IP way with the
Window 95 machine.  I removed the NetBEUI from the protocols
section.  And the IP address follows the rule I mentioned
above.  So why am not seeing the Windows 95 computer (I AM able
to view web pages on my WinNT (running PWS) with a browser on
my Win95 machine, which is also fantastic) in Network
Neighborhood?  I can't even locate it with the Find - Computer
utility.

njkat@eclipse.net (gene martinez) wrote in message news:<4019d60d.48563754@news.eclipse.net>...
> Sure you can, but you need to add the ip address & subnet for them to
> talk to each other
>
> liamsbenwil@hotmail.com (Ben Williams) wrote:
>
> >I have 2 computers hooked up with a cross-over cable.  I am just trying to
> >learn more about networking here.  If I have NetBEUI installed on both computers
> >I am able to get them working together (one computer is an old 486 running
> >Windows 95 and the other is a Pentium 2 running Windows NT/Windows 98).
> >Although it is incredibly slow to get into the Windows 95 from my Windows NT
> >computer, why I don't know.  But now I am wondering, can you network 2 windows
> >machines with just TCP/IP?  I tried networking the other system on my Pentium
> >2 machine, Windows 98, to the Windows 95 machine.  But there is no communication
> >between machines.  I want to be able to do what I can do with NetBEUI with
> >TCP/IP, that is, navigate the folders of the other machine and transfer files
> >using the windows GUI.  Is that even possible, or can you only do things like
> >ping and ftp?
0
liamsbenwil
2/4/2004 8:39:17 PM
Hmm, now actually I discovered I was mistaken about this.  I did finally get
WinNT communicating with Win95 via TCP/IP (the problem was NT allows more than
one IP address to be set and the IP address which was the default one did not
follow that rule).  I was thinking Win98 had been slow before, but that's not
true.  The WinNT was the slow one thru NetBEUI.  And now that it is using TCP/IP
it is, unfortunately, STILL slow.  Why is WinNT so slow networking?  Exploring
my WinNT folders from the Win95 machine is fine and near instantaneous. But from
the WinNT machine, I get the following types of behaviour:
From my Windows NT 4.0 SP6a machine:
Double-clicking on the Network Neighborhood icon, it will take 10 seconds to
get the display of computer icons for the WinNT machine and the Win95 machine.
If I double-click on the Windows 95 machine from Network Neighborhood, it
will take 21-25 seconds (with the back & forth flashlight icon) before I get
to the base drives C and D.  Double-clicking on the D drive it will take 10
seconds to get to the contents of the D drive.  Clicking back from the D drive
it will take 20 seconds to get back to the display of the base C and D drives.
Clicking back from the base C and D drives, it will take 10-22 seconds to get
back to the display of computers in Network Neighborhood.

Anyone know why this is so?
0
liamsbenwil
2/5/2004 6:32:33 PM
Greetings...

  <sigh>  Why do I still find it amazing when one of these disgusting examples of Liberal
Education comes on here and asks these incredibly stupid questions!

    Hey Moron, did it ever occurred to you to just hit F1 - navigate to the Networking
sections of help and actually RTFM!!!!

   Every question you have asked here has already been answered on your own fucking
machine!     You should kill your teachers in whatever poor excuse for a school you ever
attended, they broke you!

                                                            ll
                                                           Kanda'

<>SPAM-KILLER<>-  If you really want to contact me, then -
                          kandaje<at>bresnan<dot>net

  You figure it out...
0
Kanda
2/8/2004 8:58:34 PM
The message <7a8d209v6h68cb3pda9aeda2nl25u1v1um@4ax.com>
from Kanda' Jalen Eirsie <kandaje@NOYB.net> contains these words:

> Greetings...

>   <sigh>  Why do I still find it amazing when one of these disgusting
>   examples of Liberal
> Education comes on here and asks these incredibly stupid questions!

>     Hey Moron, did it ever occurred to you to just hit F1 - navigate
>     to the Networking
> sections of help and actually RTFM!!!!

>    Every question you have asked here has already been answered on
>    your own fucking
> machine!     You should kill your teachers in whatever poor excuse for
> a school you ever
> attended, they broke you!

 Jeez! *That's* telling him! :-)

--
Regards, John.

 To reply directly, please remove "buttplug" .Mail via the
 "Reply Direct" button and Spam-bots will be rejected.

0
Johnny