Direct Cable Between Boxes ?

Got a NAS box on my LAN which has two Ethernet ports on it.

Got an old gaming case full of hard drives and a Windows-7/DriveBender
system that I use for backing up the NAS box.

Over 10 TB of data, so over the LAN it's not going all that fast on the
initial synch/load.

I am wondering if there is any hope for connecting the two boxes
Ethernet-Port-to-Ethernet-Port directly with a Cat6 cable.

Seems like the load process should go a bit faster that way.

I do have a crossover cable available.

Is there any hope for this ?
--
Pete Cresswell
0

On Sat, 24 Oct 2015 21:39:14 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)" <x@y.Invalid> wrote:

>Got a NAS box on my LAN which has two Ethernet ports on it.

What speed are the ports? Can they be ganged/teamed/combined in any way?

>Got an old gaming case full of hard drives and a Windows-7/DriveBender
>system that I use for backing up the NAS box.

That one is likely to have a Gigabit port, right?

>Over 10 TB of data, so over the LAN it's not going all that fast on the
>initial synch/load.

What does "over the LAN" mean in this case? Are the two devices connected to
the same switch? How fast is that switch? If there are multiple switches in
the path, how fast are each of them?

>I am wondering if there is any hope for connecting the two boxes
>Ethernet-Port-to-Ethernet-Port directly with a Cat6 cable.

If both are Gigabit, you can use either type of cable to directly connect
them. The Gigabit spec requires auto negotiation of several properties,
including duplex and MDI/MDIX, so both straight-thru and crossover should
work equally well.

If one or both are Fast Ethernet (100Mbps) then you can directly connect
them with a crossover cable, but if both devices are already connected to
the same switch you aren't likely to see much improvement, if any.

>Seems like the load process should go a bit faster that way.

Assuming you didn't buy the cheapest switch you could find, I'd be surprised
if it's the bottleneck.

>I do have a crossover cable available.
>
>Is there any hope for this ?

If the NAS box has 100Mbps interfaces, your best option for improved network
speed to/from it will be to replace it. :-)

Personally, I'm not going to buy another NAS until I can reasonably
configure it to have at least one 10 Gig interface.

***

Not directly answering your question, but you'll get MUCH faster transfer
times if you can bring a NAS drive over to the PC and connect it locally,
perhaps via eSATA, do the data transfer, then return it to the NAS. Bring
another drive over and repeat, etc.

0
Char

Looking for Windows Networking (TCP/IP) Engineers to work in India
Hello, We are looking for Windows Networking Engineers to work in India, must be very good Networking skiils and problem solving skiils and must be team player. If interested,m send your resume with complete details like Education background, projects experience and your strengths and expected salary with contact details to tsailaja2002 at yahoo dot com. When you send an e-mail, subject should say "Windows Engineers" Thanks, sai, tsailaja2002@yahoo.com ...

Can you network 2 Windows computers with just TCP/IP?
I have 2 computers hooked up with a cross-over cable. I am just trying to learn more about networking here. If I have NetBEUI installed on both computers I am able to get them working together (one computer is an old 486 running Windows 95 and the other is a Pentium 2 running Windows NT/Windows 98). Although it is incredibly slow to get into the Windows 95 from my Windows NT computer, why I don't know. But now I am wondering, can you network 2 windows machines with just TCP/IP? I tried networking the other system on my Pentium 2 machine, Windows 98, to the Windows 95 machine. B...

[tao-users] ACE/TAO without network adapter and TCP/IP stack on windows 95 execution problem
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0138_01C46388.2281CAD0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="koi8-r" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi! Additional information: I compiled ACE/TAO with `#define ACE_HAS_WINNT4 0` and `#define = ACE_HAS_WINSOCK2 0` defines. I read about `shmiop` protocol/transport and run my program with next = directives inside my `*.conf` file: dynamic SHMIOP_Factory Service_Object * = TAO_Strategies:_make_TAO_SHMIOP_Protocol_Factory () "" dynamic Advanced_Resource_Factory Service_Ob...

[tao-users] ACE/TAO without network adapter and TCP/IP stack on windows 95 execution problem #2
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000D_01C46467.A7DFAF00 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="koi8-r" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi! It's me again :) I debug ACE/TAO and found that `SHMIOP` transport protocol based on = socket API and don't work if socket API failed :( Inside `TAO_SHMIOP_Connector::open` I can see = `this->base_connector_.open` call. `base_connector_` is `ACE_SOCK` class = and this class don't work fine if network not present (configured) on a = computer (`ACE_OS::socket` call failed...

[ace-bugs] Re: [tao-users] ACE/TAO without network adapter and TCP/IP stack on windows 95 execution problem
Hi Migel, >> I debug ACE/TAO and found that `SHMIOP` transport protocol based on = >> socket API and don't work if socket API failed :( >> >> Inside `TAO_SHMIOP_Connector::open` I can see = >> `this->base_connector_.open` call. `base_connector_` is `ACE_SOCK` class = >> and this class don't work fine if network not present (configured) on a = >> computer (`ACE_OS::socket` call failed). >> >> Does anybody know what I can do to fix my stupid situation and run my = >> program on windows 95 without network support...

Windows 7 TCP/IP slower than Windows Vista ?
Hi, We have an interesting observation. We noticed that the network throughput on Windows 7 is lower than that of Windows Vista when some graphical activity is going on. We have a setup where 3 PCs running Windows 7, Windows Vista and Windows XP resp. are connected to a Ethernet HUB. The Windows XP PC generates some network traffic which is captured on both Windows 7 and Windows Vista PCs using Wireshark network capture tool. The configurations of all 3 PCs (motherboard, RAM etc) are identical. We observed that intermittenetly the packets are received with a delay on Win 7 pc, ...

Direct TCP/IP connection between two local IPs in different LANs
Hello! Suppose, there are two LANs. There is one gateway in every LAN, which is connected to Internet using one real-world IP address. All other computers in LAN have local addresses, like 10.0.0.2, 10.0.0.3 .... and using this gateway to connect to the Internet. So, every computer in LAN in real world have the same IP - gateway's IP. From theese LAN computers I can make outgoing TCP/IP connections to any real-world IP address. MY QUESTION: 1) Is it possible, and how, to connect to theese inner LAN computers from Internet? It means <real-world IP> --connecting to-...

Networking; TCP/IP
I have a cable modem and an iBook running System 10.3.7. When I connect to a remote office through a TCPIP connection, the result is EXTREMELY slow. The computers there are running Sytem 9.2.2 and they have a DSL connection. However, if I boot up my iBook in System 9.2.2, the connection runs MUCH quicker. Is there some inherent problem in networking from System 10 back to System 9? Or is there something else I am missing? Thanks. In article <1104769073.874465.57230@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>, "jerski" <jerbac@bacassoc.org> wrote: > I have a cable modem and ...

Network ... but no TCP/IP
Hello folks, I am setting up eCS 1.2 on my Thinkpad. It's working fine, and networking kicked in when I found the right Broadcom drivers. However ... I can't get TCP/IP to work. Nothing gets out, nothing comes in. My setup.cmd is: route -fh arp -f ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1 ifconfig lan0 198.162.42.98 netmask 255.255.0.0 metric 1 mtu 1500 REM ifconfig lan1 metric 1 mtu 1500 REM ifconfig lan2 metric 1 mtu 1500 REM ifconfig lan3 metric 1 mtu 1500 REM ifconfig lan4 metric 1 mtu 1500 REM ifconfig lan5 metric 1 mtu 1500 REM ifconfig lan6 metric 1 mtu 1500 REM ifconfig lan7...

tcp/ip networking
In my older book by Kochan et al. several structs are mentioned that are depricated. Can't we get by with sockadrr_in for example and addrinfo? Of course when IPv6 is needed we use sockaddr_in6. There is another 2 structs I wonder about. sockaddr and sockaddr_storage. The last one being large enough for IPv6 too. The info I want from new sockets is stored in sockaddr_in right? Now I'm only dealing with IPv4. Should I declare a type of struct sockaddr_in and let getnameinfo() fill it with data? Is this the new way of doing it. I only have my Kochan book at hand and it se...

Windows 2003 Server (SP2) vs Windows 2000 Server TCP/IP Performance
Hi, I have a W2K and a W2K3 server under test. The test program has two components: 1. a simple TCP/IP test server 2. a simple TCP/IP test client Both are very small programs (written in VB using a third party COM component for sockets). Both are running on the same machine. i.e. the whole test is local to the machine. The TCP/IP test server listens on a particular port (9000) on 127.0.0.1. Two TCP/IP test clients attempt to connect to the TCP/IP test server, get a few bytes of test data (less than 100bytes) and close the connection. They repeat this process 1000 tim...

Windows 2003 Server (SP2) vs Windows 2000 Server TCP/IP Performance
Hi, I have a W2K and a W2K3 server under test. The test program has two components: 1. a simple TCP/IP test server 2. a simple TCP/IP test client Both are very small programs (written in VB using a third party COM component for sockets). Both are running on the same machine. i.e. the whole test is local to the machine. The TCP/IP test server listens on a particular port (9000) on 127.0.0.1. Two TCP/IP test clients attempt to connect to the TCP/IP test server, get a few bytes of test data (less than 100bytes) and close the connection. They repeat this process 1000 tim...

IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip 0021275831620
IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip ...

How to connect a windows xp box to a windows 2000 box
Hi, I have an older box installed with windows 2000 and a new box with windows xp. I would like to access my windows 2000 box through windows xp with a crossover cable. I was able to view the shared folders of windows xp from my windows 2000 box, but not vice versa. I may not set it up correctly. Anyone has a working procedure to share? Thanks, Wayne wwang525@yahoo.com (Wayne) wrote in message news:<4ce62911.0407201605.6f030ca7@posting.google.com>... > Hi, > > I have an older box installed with windows 2000 and a new box with > windows xp. > I wo...

Web resources about - Direct Cable Between Boxes ? - comp.windows.networking.tcp-ip

Herr Trumpf Threatens To Sue Ted Cruz For Sneaking Into The Presidential Primary
Friday night I went down to CBS to watch Alan Grayson on Bill Maher's HBO Show, Real Time . Maher asked Grayson about the law suit he's promised ...

Nationwide Winter Storm Claims Life of US Capitol Police Officer As He Shovels Snow
A winter storm wreaking havoc across the nation has claimed yet another victim. Blizzard 2016, as it has been dubbed, has ushered in severe weather ...

Matt Damon Reveals Why He's Not in 'Manchester By the Sea'
Matt Damon stops for a quick camera opp while participating in a panel discussion hosted by Stella Artois and held during the 2016 Sundance Film ...

I watched 5 — 5! — of the Sunday morning shows and ended up with not one thing I wanted to blog.
It was all crushingly dull. The pundits really don't seem to have anything more to say. The closest I came was wanting to say one thing was especially ...

New York City: ‘Martial Law’ Declared By NYPD Over Winter Storm Jonas During State Of Emergency?
In New York City, “martial law” was declared by the NYPD according to some reports based upon the way the travel ban was implemented. Although ...

Manhunt for Three Escaped Inmates in Southern California
Officials said the men, who are thought to be dangerous, cut through steel bars and rappelled from the roof of the Orange County Central Men’s ...

India with France in fight against terror, says PM Modi
"India and France believe in humankind. We together along with other countries will eliminate terror forces and terrorism," Modi said.

New York Mayor Blasts Donald Trump For Saying He Could ‘Shoot Someone’ & Still Win, Says Trump ‘Not Presidential’ ...
Donald Trump has a knack for rubbing folks the wrong way. Count New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio in that bunch, as the duly elected leader ...

ISIS Video Threatening United Kingdom Appears to Show Paris Attackers Committing Atrocities in Syria ...
On Sunday, the Islamic State released a new, 17-minute video threatening to attack the United Kingdom and other “coalition” countries. In it, ...

Match fixing suspected at Australian Open doubles match, report says
A low-profile mixed doubles tennis match at the Australian Open on Sunday has come under suspicion for possible match fixing. A major sports ...