Isolation From Lightning Strike?

Cat5E to a garden shed.

On the shed is a TV antenna.

Inside the shed are a couple of HD HomeRun digital TV tuners.

OTA TV comes in over the antenna, into the HD HomeRuns, and out to my
LAN closet on the Cat5E.

The plan is a separate CAT5e cable for each tuner (just because they are
there and unused).... They could just as easily go into a little switch
and then the switch connects to one Cat5e cable....

At the risk of over-thinking this, I wonder what my network's exposure
is if lightning strikes the TV antenna.

Would a sacrificial switch serve to isolate the shed?

Or do the (also sacrificial) tuners already act as isolators from the
network?

Something else?

My understanding is that the Good-Right-And-Holy path for a situation
like this is fiber from the shed to the LAN closet.... but if you take
everything I know about fiber, roll it up into a ball, and set it on the
edge of a razor blade - it will look like a golf ball in the middle of
the New Jersey Turnpike...
--
Pete Cresswell
0

"(PeteCresswell)" <x@y.invalid> wrote:
> Cat5E to a garden shed.

> On the shed is a TV antenna.

> Inside the shed are a couple of HD HomeRun digital TV tuners.

> OTA TV comes in over the antenna, into the HD HomeRuns, and out to my
> LAN closet on the Cat5E.

> The plan is a separate CAT5e cable for each tuner (just because they are
> there and unused).... They could just as easily go into a little switch
> and then the switch connects to one Cat5e cable....

> At the risk of over-thinking this, I wonder what my network's exposure
> is if lightning strikes the TV antenna.

If lightning directly strikes, all is probably toast.

But in the case of near strikes, there are other possibilities.

> Would a sacrificial switch serve to isolate the shed?

It then depends on the power wires and grounding for the whole system.

UTP ethernet has, I believe, 1000V isolation transformers, but
lightning can easily pass that. You want the antenna mast to be
tied to ground as well as possible. A copper rod in the ground
is good. Note, though, that nearby strikes might come to the
shed through the ground.

> Or do the (also sacrificial) tuners already act as isolators from the
> network?

You might get away with a short fiber link inside the shed,
connecting to a device powered, and grounded, from the house.

-- glen

0
glen
10/4/2015 5:52:09 AM
Per glen herrmannsfeldt:
>You might get away with a short fiber link inside the shed,
>connecting to a device powered, and grounded, from the house.

After some superficial reading about fiber I realized that there was a
substantial learning curve there - and a substantial cash outlay.

So I went for a couple of radio links
(http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-LOCOM5-NanoStation-loco-M5/dp/B004EHSV4W)

I have experience with these at a windsurfing site where we have cameras
in one building feeding a server a little over a half mile away....so I
know the ins-and-outs pretty well by now.
--
Pete Cresswell
0
<gah@ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:

> "(PeteCresswell)" <x@y.invalid> wrote:
> > Cat5E to a garden shed.
>
> > On the shed is a TV antenna.
>
> > Inside the shed are a couple of HD HomeRun digital TV tuners.
>
> > OTA TV comes in over the antenna, into the HD HomeRuns, and out to my
> > LAN closet on the Cat5E.
>
> > The plan is a separate CAT5e cable for each tuner (just because they are
> > there and unused).... They could just as easily go into a little switch
> > and then the switch connects to one Cat5e cable....
>
> > At the risk of over-thinking this, I wonder what my network's exposure
> > is if lightning strikes the TV antenna.
>
> If lightning directly strikes, all is probably toast.
>
> But in the case of near strikes, there are other possibilities.
>
> > Would a sacrificial switch serve to isolate the shed?
>
> It then depends on the power wires and grounding for the whole system.
>
> UTP ethernet has, I believe, 1000V isolation transformers, but
> lightning can easily pass that. You want the antenna mast to be
> tied to ground as well as possible. A copper rod in the ground
> is good. Note, though, that nearby strikes might come to the
> shed through the ground.
I don't know how easy it would be for you to add some fiber, but
assuming you can, here is a copper to fiber converter that
might do for trick, for about $160 per pair:
 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833114041
They support 1gb/s, which gives you some headroom on data rate.
You MIGHT get 10gb/s with multimode cable and (future) convert ors,
but for higher rates you'd need singlemode cable.  Singlemode
cable MIGHT work up to 10gb/s for the distance you need.

For $280/pair you could put in single-mode:
http://www.amazon.com/Gigabit-1000BaseT-single-mode-1000Base-converter/dp/B002N90OIO
and just put in singlemode cables to begin with, which should be good
to more than 1tb/s.

Cable costs:
 Multimode, outdoor: $1/foot for 12 fiber cable, but you
  need to have connectors added. You need 4 for a single
  pair, so perhaps $200+$1/foot and you have 10 spares.
  (fewer strands cost less, but the connectors seem to
   dominate the cost)

 Singlemode outdoor: $0.50/foot for 12 fiber (yes, less than
 multimode).  Perhaps $50/connector. (Connectors dominate
 the cost here even more, so I'd get 12 fibers (or more))

!Make sure that you get cable with connectors that match the
convert ors!

When I setup stuff in 2004, the rumors were that you had to
put on at least 100 connectors for multimode in order to make
good connect be good on it, even though you were using
a factory made jig and tools that are supposed to align things
automatically. I wasn't able to check if the jigs, etc have since
been improved so that no experience is needed.

For the singlemode cable, which has an active area of about 1/5 the
diameter as multimode, you always should use "factory" made
connections.

> > Or do the (also sacrificial) tuners already act as isolators from the
> > network?
>
> You might get away with a short fiber link inside the shed,
> connecting to a device powered, and grounded, from the house.
>
> -- glen
0
Mark
10/4/2015 3:42:31 PM
Kris Keijser schreef: Kris Keijser schreef: Kris Keijser schreef:
Kris
Keijser schreef:
Kris Keijser schreef: test test test kris keijser KRIS KEIJSER johan
keijser JC
keijser test test testtest test test kris keijser KRIS KEIJSER johan
Keijser schreef:
Kris Keijser schreef: test test test kris keijser KRIS KEIJSER johan
keijser JC
keijser test test testtest test test kris keijser KRIS KEIJSER johan
Kris Keijser schreef: test test test kris keijser KRIS KEIJSER johan
keijser JC
keijser test test testtest test test kris keijser KRIS KEIJSER johan

- tekst uit het oorspronkelijke bericht weergeven -

Keijser schreef:
Kris Keijser schreef: test test test kris keijser KRIS KEIJSER johan
keijser JC
keijser test test testtest test test kris keijser KRIS KEIJSER johan
Kris Keijser schreef: test test test kris keijser KRIS KEIJSER johan
keijser JC
keijser test test testtest test test kris keijser KRIS KEIJSER johan

- tekst uit het oorspronkelijke bericht weergeven -

0
Kris

Can you network 2 Windows computers with just TCP/IP?
I have 2 computers hooked up with a cross-over cable. I am just trying to learn more about networking here. If I have NetBEUI installed on both computers I am able to get them working together (one computer is an old 486 running Windows 95 and the other is a Pentium 2 running Windows NT/Windows 98). Although it is incredibly slow to get into the Windows 95 from my Windows NT computer, why I don't know. But now I am wondering, can you network 2 windows machines with just TCP/IP? I tried networking the other system on my Pentium 2 machine, Windows 98, to the Windows 95 machine. B...

Looking for Windows Networking (TCP/IP) Engineers to work in India
Hello, We are looking for Windows Networking Engineers to work in India, must be very good Networking skiils and problem solving skiils and must be team player. If interested,m send your resume with complete details like Education background, projects experience and your strengths and expected salary with contact details to tsailaja2002 at yahoo dot com. When you send an e-mail, subject should say "Windows Engineers" Thanks, sai, tsailaja2002@yahoo.com ...

[tao-users] ACE/TAO without network adapter and TCP/IP stack on windows 95 execution problem
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0138_01C46388.2281CAD0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="koi8-r" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi! Additional information: I compiled ACE/TAO with `#define ACE_HAS_WINNT4 0` and `#define = ACE_HAS_WINSOCK2 0` defines. I read about `shmiop` protocol/transport and run my program with next = directives inside my `*.conf` file: dynamic SHMIOP_Factory Service_Object * = TAO_Strategies:_make_TAO_SHMIOP_Protocol_Factory () "" dynamic Advanced_Resource_Factory Service_Ob...

[tao-users] ACE/TAO without network adapter and TCP/IP stack on windows 95 execution problem #2
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000D_01C46467.A7DFAF00 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="koi8-r" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi! It's me again :) I debug ACE/TAO and found that `SHMIOP` transport protocol based on = socket API and don't work if socket API failed :( Inside `TAO_SHMIOP_Connector::open` I can see = `this->base_connector_.open` call. `base_connector_` is `ACE_SOCK` class = and this class don't work fine if network not present (configured) on a = computer (`ACE_OS::socket` call failed...

[ace-bugs] Re: [tao-users] ACE/TAO without network adapter and TCP/IP stack on windows 95 execution problem
Hi Migel, >> I debug ACE/TAO and found that `SHMIOP` transport protocol based on = >> socket API and don't work if socket API failed :( >> >> Inside `TAO_SHMIOP_Connector::open` I can see = >> `this->base_connector_.open` call. `base_connector_` is `ACE_SOCK` class = >> and this class don't work fine if network not present (configured) on a = >> computer (`ACE_OS::socket` call failed). >> >> Does anybody know what I can do to fix my stupid situation and run my = >> program on windows 95 without network support...

Windows 7 TCP/IP slower than Windows Vista ?
Hi, We have an interesting observation. We noticed that the network throughput on Windows 7 is lower than that of Windows Vista when some graphical activity is going on. We have a setup where 3 PCs running Windows 7, Windows Vista and Windows XP resp. are connected to a Ethernet HUB. The Windows XP PC generates some network traffic which is captured on both Windows 7 and Windows Vista PCs using Wireshark network capture tool. The configurations of all 3 PCs (motherboard, RAM etc) are identical. We observed that intermittenetly the packets are received with a delay on Win 7 pc, ...

Network ... but no TCP/IP
Hello folks, I am setting up eCS 1.2 on my Thinkpad. It's working fine, and networking kicked in when I found the right Broadcom drivers. However ... I can't get TCP/IP to work. Nothing gets out, nothing comes in. My setup.cmd is: route -fh arp -f ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1 ifconfig lan0 198.162.42.98 netmask 255.255.0.0 metric 1 mtu 1500 REM ifconfig lan1 metric 1 mtu 1500 REM ifconfig lan2 metric 1 mtu 1500 REM ifconfig lan3 metric 1 mtu 1500 REM ifconfig lan4 metric 1 mtu 1500 REM ifconfig lan5 metric 1 mtu 1500 REM ifconfig lan6 metric 1 mtu 1500 REM ifconfig lan7...

tcp/ip networking
In my older book by Kochan et al. several structs are mentioned that are depricated. Can't we get by with sockadrr_in for example and addrinfo? Of course when IPv6 is needed we use sockaddr_in6. There is another 2 structs I wonder about. sockaddr and sockaddr_storage. The last one being large enough for IPv6 too. The info I want from new sockets is stored in sockaddr_in right? Now I'm only dealing with IPv4. Should I declare a type of struct sockaddr_in and let getnameinfo() fill it with data? Is this the new way of doing it. I only have my Kochan book at hand and it se...

Networking; TCP/IP
I have a cable modem and an iBook running System 10.3.7. When I connect to a remote office through a TCPIP connection, the result is EXTREMELY slow. The computers there are running Sytem 9.2.2 and they have a DSL connection. However, if I boot up my iBook in System 9.2.2, the connection runs MUCH quicker. Is there some inherent problem in networking from System 10 back to System 9? Or is there something else I am missing? Thanks. In article <1104769073.874465.57230@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>, "jerski" <jerbac@bacassoc.org> wrote: > I have a cable modem and ...

Windows 2003 Server (SP2) vs Windows 2000 Server TCP/IP Performance
Hi, I have a W2K and a W2K3 server under test. The test program has two components: 1. a simple TCP/IP test server 2. a simple TCP/IP test client Both are very small programs (written in VB using a third party COM component for sockets). Both are running on the same machine. i.e. the whole test is local to the machine. The TCP/IP test server listens on a particular port (9000) on 127.0.0.1. Two TCP/IP test clients attempt to connect to the TCP/IP test server, get a few bytes of test data (less than 100bytes) and close the connection. They repeat this process 1000 tim...

Windows 2003 Server (SP2) vs Windows 2000 Server TCP/IP Performance
Hi, I have a W2K and a W2K3 server under test. The test program has two components: 1. a simple TCP/IP test server 2. a simple TCP/IP test client Both are very small programs (written in VB using a third party COM component for sockets). Both are running on the same machine. i.e. the whole test is local to the machine. The TCP/IP test server listens on a particular port (9000) on 127.0.0.1. Two TCP/IP test clients attempt to connect to the TCP/IP test server, get a few bytes of test data (less than 100bytes) and close the connection. They repeat this process 1000 tim...

IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip 0021275831620
IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip IP ip iP Ip ...

Networking with windows network
Hi, have two different machines connected to windows network. The OS/2 machines are essentially identical. I have installed fixpax 15, WR_8423, WR_8425, and IP_8414. I have settings for ibmlan.ini and protocol.ini the same on both machines. Both machines have a folder shared with the same permissions. When I connect to machine1 via the windows network, I am prompted to enter user name and password - which I do and all works fine. When I connect to Machine2 I get no prompt for username and password and a lt of times I get the blasted too many connections error. Where else can I look to...

network & TCP-IP
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------050509080308090005060504 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit hey all.. I'm having a problem with the network drivers not being loaded. errors of all sorts relating to network drivers. can anyone check to see if something is amiss in config.sys? heres the config.sys attachment --------------050509080308090005060504 Content-Type: text/plain; name="config.sys" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Content-Disposition: inline; filename="config.sy...

Web resources about - Isolation From Lightning Strike? - comp.windows.networking.tcp-ip

Isolation (Toto album) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Isolation is the fifth studio album by Toto , released on October 18, 1984. This was one of two albums the band made with Fergie Frederiksen ...

Alien: Isolation (@AlienIsolation) on Twitter

All sizes - 127 Wednesday - isolation - - Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Alien Isolation Gameplay PS4 (E3 2014) - YouTube
Alien Isolation Gameplay PS4 (E3 2014) SUBSCRIBE HERE ► http://bit.ly/EPIC-GAMING FACEBOOK ► https://www.facebook.com/IZUNIY TWITTER ► https ...

Hight stakes and high security as Pakistan take first steps out of cricket isolation with Zimbabwe series ...
The last time a Test-level cricket team visited Pakistan, seven Sri Lankan players went home with bullet and shrapnel wounds after RPG and machine ...

Designing the retro future of Alien: Isolation
Upcoming science fiction horror game Alien: Isolation is recreating the atmosphere and design of Ridley Scott's classic film in remarkable detail. ...

Secret isolation unit used for 'misbehaving' asylum seekers on Manus Island
The most notorious compound at the Manus Island detention centre does not appear on the official map. The four main compounds, Delta, Foxtrot, ...

Abolishing penalty rates may create greater poverty and increased social isolation
The retail and service sector industry groups claim that the abolition of penalty rates will allow them to "hire more staff".

Heartbreak, isolation and stress: the strains of living on the dole
Lisa Blundell can sum up what it's like to live on Newstart in a word: stressful.

Alien Isolation review: a terrifying return to form for a troubled series
The Alien franchise and its spin-offs have seemed cursed in the video game sphere, but Alien: Isolation thoroughly redeems the property, and ...