Unable To See NAS via "Network" but able via NetScan ?

Tried this in the Windows 8 group, but no nibbles....

TW700, 32-bit Windows-8.

I click "Network Places" and only my 24-7 desktop PC shows up.

There are logs of other devices on the LAN, but only that machine shows
up.

OTOH, when I run a utility called "NetScan", all devices are shown and I
can even click on the NAS box I want to get to and see it's
shares/folders and get to it's files.

IPCONFIG /ALL shows an IP addr consistent with my LAN and identical to
what NetScan reports.

Can anybody speculate on what is going on with "Network Places" ?
--
Pete Cresswell
0

Per (PeteCresswell):
>IPCONFIG /ALL shows an IP addr consistent with my LAN and identical to
>what NetScan reports.

Maybe I should add that NET USE does not find the NAS box either:

To Wit:
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]
(c) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

d:\>net use z: \\nas\a
System error 53 has occurred.

The network path was not found.

d:\>ping nas
Ping request could not find host nas. Please check the name and try
again.

d:\>ping 10.0.0.8

Pinging 10.0.0.8 with 32 bytes of data:

Ping statistics for 10.0.0.8:

d:\>^A

But tha NAS box really is online... and the NetScan utility
not only shows it, but can connect to it.

It's numeric IP is 10.0.0.8 - which can the TW700 can find.... but it
cannot find it via "NAS".... so I am guessing that some sort of lookup
facility is not available to the TW700.

But what ?

I looked at Control Panel | Network-Sharing | Adapter Settings | IPV4
Props  and added my router's addr (10.0.0.1) as the preferred DNS server
but no change....
--
Pete Cresswell
0

Suddenly unable to acces Wireless Routers, acess points
I am running an IBM THinkpad R40 and never had a problem until I went to a Holiday Inn and could not connect to the internet, and their "expert" came in and made some changes to XP that allowed me to finally connect to their network. I had not tried any wireless connections since then, until last weekend. Now I can't even access my wireless router or wireless access point, which I rarely use. Recently, when I try to access a wireless access point, and all the hardware and drivers have been updated and checked, I get the folloowing error message: "Find Wireless Networks&...

Networking Problem, Setting up "Home Networking Wizard" with Windows XP
Networking Problem, Setting up "Home Networking Wizard" with Windows XP Host Machine is XP Home Edition with satellite internet connected to USB, a USB hub is running off of this machine with 3 clients. Client A (laptop) has Windows ME, Client B has 98 SE and C has 98. Client A can see the host, the host can see client A and I have successfully set up internet connection sharing on client A. Clients B and C cannot see the host and the host cannot see them, however they can see each other. The Workgroup for all machines is: MSWORKGROUP, all computer names are different. Ran th...

Networking Problem, Setting up "Home Networking Wizard" with Windows XP
Networking Problem, Setting up "Home Networking Wizard" with Windows XP Host Machine is XP Home Edition with satellite internet connected to USB, a USB hub is running off of this machine with 3 clients. Client A (laptop) has Windows ME, Client B has 98 SE and C has 98. Client A can see the host, the host can see client A and I have successfully set up internet connection sharing on client A. Clients B and C cannot see the host and the host cannot see them, however they can see each other. The Workgroup for all machines is: MSWORKGROUP, all computer names are different. Ran th...

"Routing" to another network via PIX vpn?
Had a question above about this but I think it was too complicated... Is it possible to have a remote VPN (ipsec) connection hit the PIX via the Outside interface, and have that traffic go to a "DMZ" interface instead of the Inside? Yes. Now my question is: Is possible to hit networks that are hanging off a router on that DMZ subnet? These route(s) are statically in the PIX routing table as well as the remote PIX's. I have told the remote PIX to ipsec traffic from inside->far dmz network, The PIX does nat 0 for this of course. Told them the way to that network is via t...

How relevant is "Automatic TCP Window Tuning" in Networking Applications ?
Hello Everyone. My earnest apologies, since I already posted this message in comp.lang.c++. I have come across this article (http://dast.nlanr.net/Projects/ Autobuf_v1.0/autotcp.html) called "Automatic TCP window tuning". After my first newbie file transfer I wrote and found that it was just extremely slow over net, compared to http or ftp. I have been thinking of reasons. After reading the article I modified the server and clients.. in the following way.. server... /*setting socket Opttions to windows size to 780K.. 780 * 1024*/ int window_size = 2000...

How relevant is "Automatic TCP Window Tuning" in Networking Applications ?
Hello Everyone. I have come across this article (http://dast.nlanr.net/Projects/ Autobuf_v1.0/autotcp.html) called "Automatic TCP window tuning". After my first newbie file transfer I wrote and found that it was just extremely slow over net, compared to http or ftp. I have been thinking of reasons. After reading the article I modified the server and clients.. in the following way.. server... /*setting socket Opttions to windows size to 780K.. 780 * 1024 */ int window_size = 2000 * 1024; mySocket = socket(AF_INET, SOCK_STREAM, 0); setsockopt(mySocket, SOL_SOCKET, SO_SNDBU...

network: "Connection Failed", no "Connect As..."
hello, i have two macs and a windows 2000 server. both macs can see the win box in the Finder's SHARED section. one mac can connect to it, using the saved Administrator credentials. the other mac (new one), cannot -- it just says "Connection Failed" each time i click it. i click "Connect As...", but it never shows me the login prompt. i have rebooted. any ideas whats up? thanks, sm ...

Output of "ps" via "grep"
Hi, In a C/C++ file, I can't seem to be able to improve on the below system command using grep. my_cmd is a running program in my home directory. I want to find all instances of just "my_cmd" in the ps output. The improvement that I am asking you to help me with is : I want the grep to capture "./my_cmd" and not "./my_cmd ". I was unsuccessful at using : "grep -e \.\/my_cmd\\s > my_file", "grep -e \.\/my_cmd\\n > my_file, or "grep -e \.\/my_cmd\$". What am I doing wrong, or what will work? int main () { ch...

Network packets "Sent" only
I have a Lenovo 3000 C100. I'm plugging it into a working router using a good cable. I've tried installing Windows. I've tried the ethernet driver auto- installed by Windows, and the one off Lenovo's website. In Network connections packets are sent but not received. The pins in the ethernet jack look ok. I've also booted off a linux cd and no network connection could be detected via DHCP. I've also tried to set a static IP via Windows with no luck to connect to the router. No packets are ever received. No firewall is running. Any suggestions? Is this a hardwa...

removing a wireless network from "remembered" networks
Greetings all! I hope this is a quick, and easy question. My Powerbook remembers my work wireless network. Unfortunatly, right now it isn't working. It gets an IP address, and it shows data passing to and from it, but you can't ping anything, nor access anything. I've assigned it a unique IP address (I'm the network admin) but it still don't talk. I'm new to Macs, and this is the only one I've got to experiment with. I simply want to delete the information associated with that one wireless network, without interfering with the saved information for the two ...

Win+Linux Network "see each other"
I have PPPoE (verizon dsl). I have a D-Link Router, to which my WIndows '98 machine and my Linux REd Hat 8.0 are both attached. It is, of course easy to let them share the internet connection... How do I (step by step) configure everything so that they can "see" each other... So they can share stuff like the printer, etc. and possibly share files... In the future i want to house a webserver on my linux and an application server on my win'98 machine... or vice versa, etc... anyone (as a p.s.) know any other practical uses for letting them "see" each other? thanks ...

Web resources about - Unable To See NAS via "Network" but able via NetScan ? - comp.windows.networking.tcp-ip