Font Installer: "The process for the fonts protocol died unexpectedly"

Hey there :)

I've had this problem with a couple of later KDE versions. I used to be able
to browse my Fontfolio fonts (a lot of fonts), but lately (I think with
3.3.0 and 3.3.1 (my current version) - I think it was okay with 3.2.3) it
starts reading fonts, then after about 1000 fonts, it stops and I get a
popup with "The process for the fonts protocol died unexpectedly". What
could be the cause of this?

TIA,
Daniel

--
I win!
0

DanielEKFA wrote:

> Hey there :)
>
> I've had this problem with a couple of later KDE versions. I used to be
> able to browse my Fontfolio fonts (a lot of fonts), but lately (I think
> with 3.3.0 and 3.3.1 (my current version) - I think it was okay with
> 3.2.3) it starts reading fonts, then after about 1000 fonts, it stops and
> I get a popup with "The process for the fonts protocol died unexpectedly".
> What could be the cause of this?
>
> TIA,
> Daniel

Of course I forget a lot of details here, d'oh! I'm on Mandrake 10.1
Official and I'm using the KDE Control Center to browse my fonts.

--
I win!
0

Ghostscript 8,64 installation on Windows -- missing "Fonts" and "Resources"?
I installed the Windows version of Ghostscript 8.64 using the installer (from http://mirror.cs.wisc.edu/pub/mirrors/ghost/GPL/current/) which was the only one I was able to find. However, I guess there is a bug in this installer in that it does not install any "Fonts" nor any "Resources" directory and also no "Fontmap" file. These items I do expect being present because the documentation ("Fonts.htm") does talk about these being distributed with Ghostscript. Did this change recently? Am I expected to install the fonts from other sources? Like, using the "urwfonts-1.41.tar.bz" package that I found somewhere else? The www.ghostscript.com website did not have any obvious link (at least not one which I found) to a fonts download location. I have seen an older Ghostscript (8.54) on a colleague's notebook, where there are non-empty Fonts and Resources directories within the Ghostscript install location. Could I possibly copy those over and use with Ghostscript 8.64? Friday 08 May 2009 > However, I guess there is a bug in this installer in that it does not > install any "Fonts" nor any "Resources" directory and also no > "Fontmap" file. These items I do expect being present because the > documentation ("Fonts.htm") does talk about these being distributed > with Ghostscript. My understanding is that with 8.63, the fonts and resources are now included in a dll. For most...

[fonts] Installing "local" fonts (lm)
Hello, I recently tried to install fonts locally. I've got a local directory (let's say /mydir/latex) which contains a texmf directory. This dir (/mydir/latex) is exported to appear in $TEXINPUTS and i can successfully use packages installed in /mydir/latex/texmf/latex for example. As I was trying to install fonts (lm - latin modern - http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/lm/) I ended up with an issue (cannot use the fonts). Sadly, http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=uselmfonts did not help, or i missed something trivial... Here is how I actually did this : 1/ extract the zip file as advised by the documentation (fonts dir in texmf/fonts, docs in texmf/doc, tex in texmf/latex) 2/ make updmap find the lm.map and use it : updmap --enable Map /mydir/latex/texmf/fonts/map/lm.map 3/ update the list of packages/fonts in texmf : mktexlsr /mydir/latex/texmf) 4/ try to use it in tex files... Here it goes... => kpathsea: Running mktextfm ec-lmss9 mktextfm: Running mf-nowin -progname=mf \mode:=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input ec-lmss9 This is METAFONT, Version 2.71828 (Web2C 7.5.6) kpathsea: Running mktexmf ec-lmss9 ! I can't find file `ec-lmss9'. <*> ...ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input ec-lmss9 (and the same goes for all lm classes :s) So my guess is that kpathsea does not find the directory /mydir/latex (that's why i tried to put the full path to lm.map with updmap), is there an easyway to tell kpathsea to add /mydir/latex ...

Font installation problems "Font shape undefined"
I'm trying to install Adobe Sabon and Adobe Trade Gothic on a Linux system running e-TeX (Web2C 7.4.5) 3.14159-2.1 I have Trade Gothic installed properly, but when I try to use Sabon in my document, LaTeX says: LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `T1/psbx/m/n' undefined (Font) using `T1/cmr/m/n' instead on input line 96. I have all fd files installed under /usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/adobe/sabon and the other files under /usr/share/texmf/fonts/*/adobe/sabon. I have run texhash after putting the files there. The files for Trade Gothic are installed in a similar way. What else could be wrong? Martin Magnusson <martin@xx-blecket-xx.org> writes: >I'm trying to install Adobe Sabon and Adobe Trade Gothic on a Linux >system running e-TeX (Web2C 7.4.5) 3.14159-2.1 > >I have Trade Gothic installed properly, but when I try to use Sabon in >my document, LaTeX says: > > LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `T1/psbx/m/n' undefined > (Font) using `T1/cmr/m/n' instead on input line 96. > >I have all fd files installed under >/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/adobe/sabon and the other files under >/usr/share/texmf/fonts/*/adobe/sabon. this isn't good policy: the texmf-local tree is for additions like this. >I have run texhash after putting >the files there. The files for Trade Gothic are installed in a similar >way. What else could be wrong? last i looked, there wasn't an adobe...

"Fonts" and "Faces"
Fonts and Faces, Fonts and Faces Each of them having Special Places (to be sung to the tune of "Love and Marriage" in the musical "Our Town"! I just want to anchor down the correct terminology. A "font" is such as Arno Pro and a "face" is, in the context of Arno Pro, "bold" or "italic" or "regular" and so on. So, the question is, am I correct? -- James Leo Ryan ..... Austin, Texas ..... taliesinsoft@me.com TaliesinSoft wrote: > Fonts and Faces, Fonts and Faces > Each of them having Special Places > > ...

Converting Mac Fonts "Helvetica Neue" to Window fonts
Hello designers...How am I convert My mac fonts to use them on Window? I tried to use Cross Fonts..but Didn't really work.. Can anybody help me? Or anyone like to exchange fonts? Thank you! Claire wrote: > Hello designers...How am I convert My mac fonts to use them on Window? > I tried to use Cross Fonts..but Didn't really work.. The latest version of this product (FontDoctor) claims to do it (and I believe it). http://www.morrisonsoftdesign.com/fd_mac.html > > The latest version of this product (FontDoctor) claims to do it (and I believe it). > http://www.morrisonsoftdesign.com/fd_mac.html > > Works like a dream. Only truetypefonts though. Kind regards Bj�rn Studio Smalbro > Works like a dream. Only truetypefonts though. Thanks for the info. To me, that is a major limitation. No hurry for that upgrade then! ...

"Font not available" error. How do I get the font??
Hi All, I'm opening some FrameMaker files, and getting error messages that some fonts used are not available in my system, and ofering the alternative to replace the original fonts with some others. However, in the above described situation, how can I get this or that font? Specially when it tells me the "font family so and so" is not available? TIA, jbr On Jun 20, 2006, BigBen wrote: > Hi All, > > I'm opening some FrameMaker files, and getting error messages that > some fonts used are not available in my system, and ofering the > altern...

Mac font "Capitals" for Windows?
Hello, does somebody know a similar font (or the same...) for Windows as the Mac font "Capitals"? Thanks Carlos Carlos Meira wrote: > Hello, > does somebody know a similar font (or the same...) for Windows as the > Mac font "Capitals"? > > Thanks > Carlos Is there really a font with that name? Can you point to a sample somewhere? (Or post an image and/or the font itself in alt.binaries.fonts) - Character In article <j7nTd.3264621$f47.587964@news.easynews.com>, Character <Char@cters.italic> wrote: > Carlos Meira wrote: > > > Hello, > > does somebody know a similar font (or the same...) for Windows as the > > Mac font "Capitals"? > > > > Thanks > > Carlos > > Is there really a font with that name? > Can you point to a sample somewhere? (Or post an image and/or the font > itself in alt.binaries.fonts) > > - Character Yes, there is: <http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/apple/capitals/> 'Capitals' is one of the fonts that could be chosen as the system font in OS 8 and OS 9. It is also distributed with the "classic environment" in OS X (the OS 9 emulation within OS X), I guess for backwards compatibility. And, no there is no official PC version. From MyFonts: "MyFonts is not yet authorized to sell this font directly. Apple fonts are only available in Macintosh TrueType format; they are not distributed in Windows fo...

Font Book vs. "Those Professional Font Managers"
Here's an example of something that is trivial to do in Apple's Font Book and I'm curious as to how easily the same thing is accomplished in one of the "professional" font managers such as Font Explorer or Suitcase Fusion. When Adobe's Creative Suite 2 is installed a folder is created in Library/Application Support/Fonts that contains some 180 .otf files each of which contains a single face within a font family. Thus a given font family can be represented by one or more .otf files. What is helpful (at least to me) is to place all of the .otf files for a given ...

"out" and "in out"
Hi i found the following explaination: In Ada, "in" parameters are similar to C++ const parameters. They are effectively read-only within the scope of the called subprogram. Ada "in out" parameters have a reliable initial value (that passed in from the calling subprogram) and may be modified within the scope of the called procedure. Ada "out" parameters have no reliable initial value, but are expected to be assigned a value within the called procedure. What does "have no reliable initial value" mean when considering the "out" parameter? By chance I created a small program as follows: =========== s : string := "CAT"; procedure modify ( s1 : out string ) is begin s1(2) := 'U'; end modify; ... put ( modify(s) ); =========== now I get as a result "CUT", and i dont understand why i get this result. Doesnt the "out" specify that its initial value isnt passed in via the parameter? But it seems to be passed in the above. In fact the "out" is acting like an "in out". I am a little confused. Could someone shed some light on this? Many thanks! zork "zork" <zork@nospam.com> wrote in message news:4104d5de@dnews.tpgi.com.au... > Hi i found the following explaination: > > In Ada, "in" parameters are similar to C++ const parameters. They are > effectively read-only within the scope of the called subprogram. > Ada "in out&q...

about "++" and "--"

why "::", not "."

[why are trailing '\n's missing in "$x"]: x="$(printf "hi\n\n")"; printf "$x"
Ex ~ $ printf "hi\n\n"|cat -A hi$ $ ~ $ x="$(printf "hi\n\n")" ~ $ printf "$x"|cat -A hi~ $ Why are the trailing '\n's not in "$x"? Is there any way to stop this, w/o using a tempfile? -- thanks! On 12/29/2013 11:34 PM, Name withheld by request wrote: > x="$(printf "hi\n\n")" x="$(printf "%s" "hi\n\n")" Best regards, Cyrus In article <bibnk6Ftcm6U1@mid.individual.net>, Cyrus Kriticos <cyrus.kriticos@googlemail.com> wrote: >On 12/29/2013 11:34 PM, Name withheld by request wrote: >> x="$(printf "hi\n\n")" > >x="$(printf "%s" "hi\n\n")" > >Best regards, >Cyrus Which is, at best, a pedantic nitpick, having nothing to do with OP's problem. In fact, ITYM: x="$(printf "%s\n\n" "hi")" (which still doesn't solve OP's problem, but at least demonstrates better pedantry) -- Watching ConservaLoons playing with statistics and facts is like watching a newborn play with a computer. Endlessly amusing, but totally unproductive. On 12/30/2013 12:00 AM, Kenny McCormack wrote: > In article <bibnk6Ftcm6U1@mid.individual.net>, > Cyrus Kriticos <cyrus.kriticos@googlemail.com> wrote: >> On 12/29/2013 11:34 PM, Name withheld by request wrote: >>> x="...

Font Request: "The Batman" (Animated Series) Title Font
Hi, folks... I've searched the net, but I can't find the font used on the opening title of "The Batman" animated series. I've found severals different fonts for Batman, from the "Batman & Robin" Animated Series to "Batman Forever" and "Batman Bewins". But I can't find anything on "The Batman". Can you guys help me on this? Regards, MstrControl mstrcontrol@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, folks... > > I've searched the net, but I can't find the font used on the opening > title of "The Batman" anim...

"In" "Out" and "Trash"

"Go" and "Window" disappeard in Konqueror KDE 3.5?
I have just installed KDE 3.5 for Ubuntu. When I open konqueror the topmost menu no more have "Go" and "Window", what has happend to these menu items? ...

combining "text-align: center" and "font-size: 22px"

Any good "free "font" Sites?
Does anyone have any good websites that have a well-rounded collection of free fonts? Seems as though any site that has more than 30 fonts for free has over 400000 advertisements popping up. If anyone cares to help, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again. "David Kopycinski" <hardbeats@rogers.com> wrote: > Does anyone have any good websites that have a well-rounded >collection of free fonts? Seems as though any site that has more >than 30 fonts for free has over 400000 advertisemen...

installation of font "Helvetica Cyrillic Upright"
Hi, I would like to use the "HelveticaCyr-Upright" font with TeX. I have the following files: hvyu____.afm hvyu____.inf hvyu____.pfb hvyu____.pfm Also, according to adobe.map, the TeX font name is phvr6w. I tried to fontinst, but it produces lots of errors. Any suggestion? Greetings, Gerhard "gs" <gerhard.schoen@gmail.com> writes: >I would like to use the "HelveticaCyr-Upright" font with TeX. this is a cyrillic font, i presume ... yup, checked on myfonts. >I have the following files: > >hvyu____.afm >hvyu____.inf >hvyu____.pfb >hvyu____.pfm > >Also, according to adobe.map, the TeX font name is phvr6w. > >I tried to fontinst, but it produces lots of errors. (a) what fontinst commands? (b) what errors? i would guess (in the absence of any information) that you're using the standard fontinst commands, from someone-or-other's instructions. and that'll almost inevitably be for installing a latin font ... which this isn't. -- Robin (http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq) Fairbairns, Cambridge Yes, it is a cyrillic font as stated in the header, and indeed I bought it from myfonts. It is also true that I first tried to install them like latin fonts, but what would be the correct parameters? And even if I have installed the fonts, how do I call them in LaTeX? If the applicable TeX font name is actually phvr6w, then it would be the Helvetica (phv) family. How to switch to the cyrillic letters then?...

usage of "localhost:x" or "local:x"
hi, i have read that in the explorer bar, localhost:x, x being a port number, can be used to check whether service is running on the specified port (x). Is that true with all the services. For e.g., i can ping my system, but couldn't check about the service through my explorer bar using localhost:7 or local:7 greenhorn. In article <1109592805.873509.104310@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>, "Greenhorn" <teachgreenhorn@yahoo.com> wrote: > hi, > > i have read that in the explorer bar, localhost:x, x being a port > number, can be used to check whether service is running on the > specified port (x). Is that true with all the services. For e.g., i can > ping my system, but couldn't check about the service through my > explorer bar using localhost:7 or local:7 It can only be used for TCP services. Ping uses ICMP, not TCP. -- Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu Arlington, MA *** PLEASE post questions in newsgroups, not directly to me *** ...

"x == None" vs "x is None"
I have seen at several places "x == None" and "x is None" within if-statements. What is the difference? Which term should I prefer and why? -- Ullrich Horlacher Server und Virtualisierung Rechenzentrum IZUS/TIK E-Mail: horlacher@tik.uni-stuttgart.de Universitaet Stuttgart Tel: ++49-711-68565868 Allmandring 30a Fax: ++49-711-682357 70550 Stuttgart (Germany) WWW: http://www.tik.uni-stuttgart.de/ Ulli Horlacher wrote: > Chris Angelico <rosuav@gmail.com> wrote: >> On Sun, Jan 17, 2016 at 8:51 PM, Ulli Horlacher >> <framstag@rus.uni-stuttgart.de> wrote: >> > I have seen at several places "x == None" and "x is None" within >> > if-statements. >> > What is the difference? >> > Which term should I prefer and why? >> >> tl;dr: Prefer "x is None" as a check. > > And for the negation? > "if not x is None" or "if x is not None" > > I have seen the last one several times, but i do not understand it, > because: > >>>> x=0 >>>> x is not None > True >>>> not None > True >>>> x is True > False - "is" has higher precedence than "not" - "is not" is an operator in its own right. So the evaluation is not (x is None) x (is not) None ...

Can I use dcop to modify "Window behavior", i.e. "kcmshell kde-kwinoptions", values? Specifially "auto raise".
Folks, I would like to programatically toggle the KDE Window Behavior "auto raise". I normally use the behavior "focus follows mouse" and then click in a window when I want to raise it to the top. But 3 or 4 times a week, for short periods in time, I would like to toggle on the behavior "auto raise". Personally, I hate to have to launch the control center, or kcmshell kde-kwinoptions", to check and uncheck "auto raise". I was playing around with DCOP, but I have not found a way to toggle "auto raise". Is this possible? Or, is there an easy way to toggle "auto raise" on and off? Thanks in advance, Eric - (phony email to avoid spam) ...

EPS for AGU journal: "outline" fonts or embed supported fonts?
Hello all, I am still struggling to get AGU to properly use my EPS figures (in which text is replaced using psfrag) in the form I intend. My remaining problem is that it appears the CM fonts are embedded in some of the figures and that these are not supported by AGU. I say some because not all figures share this problem. The solution proposed by AGU is as follows: "All of the resubmitted figures were used in the proofs you have received. However, many of those figures were submitted with fonts that were not outlined and with fonts that AGU do not support. Thus, the figures in question (P04, F04, P07, F08, P08 & F08) have taken on font substitutes. In order to resolve the font substitute issues, please make sure to outline the fonts prior to resubmitting. Doing this will make them vector based objects instead of font files. Another solution would be to use a more common font style such as ARIAL or TIMES NEW ROMAN. Follows is a list of fonts found that we can not support: CMR8 CMR9 CMR12 CMSY9 CMSY10 CMMI9 " I was surprised because I did not realize that some figures (from the same application) have embedded fonts while others are in outline mode. I am further surprised that AGU do not support CM fonts. Critically, I do not know how to "outline" fonts at all. What I have done in producing the final figures is to use the endfloat package to shift figures to separate pages at the end of my compiled PS file, extracted each PS page sep...

Mac OS X "system" font selection
(Please advise if there is a group better suited to this queston). (Sorry if this double posts, not sure whether it went, and if it did the first one had no subject). I am currently trying to get the metrics of text in the default dialog font, something which works well with Mac OS 9 (so far). In Mac OS 9 I use TextFont ( 0 ) ; TextSize ( 0 ) ; then TextWidth seems to give useful replies. A static control one pixel larger than the TextWidth seems to contain the text nicely. In Mac OS X I have tried the same technique, but the answer is slightly different from the actual size...

Web resources about - Font Installer: "The process for the fonts protocol died unexpectedly" - comp.windows.x.kde