mouse: problem with left-handed, right-handed works

 Hi,

I'm using KDE 3.3.2 under Linux 2.6.8-2-686 with a 5-button mouse. The
mouse works fine in right-handed mode.

But if I set it to left-handed (KDE Control Center -> Pheripherals ->
Mouse), it appears as if the right-handed and the left-handed mode is
mixed. It is hard to describe:

Using the index button (in left-handed mode the right one) seems to
initiate the actions for both the left and the rigth button (e.g., a
menu opens). On the next click, the mouse appears to be right-handed.
Then the behaviour repeats.

Any ideas?

Ulrich

0
d4 (57)
4/25/2006 10:30:42 AM
comp.windows.x.kde 4367 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Ulrich Scholz wrote:
>  Hi,
>
> I'm using KDE 3.3.2 under Linux 2.6.8-2-686 with a 5-button mouse. The
> mouse works fine in right-handed mode.
>
> But if I set it to left-handed (KDE Control Center -> Pheripherals ->
> Mouse), it appears as if the right-handed and the left-handed mode is
> mixed. It is hard to describe:
>
> Using the index button (in left-handed mode the right one) seems to
> initiate the actions for both the left and the rigth button (e.g., a
> menu opens). On the next click, the mouse appears to be right-handed.
> Then the behaviour repeats.

It should be better to just remap the two left keys to be on the right side
and the two right side buttons to be on the left side, this can be done with
xmodmap.

Better to use the tools that was originally made for this kind of things than
trying to use some half finished front end.

  //Aho

0
user7 (4036)
4/25/2006 2:28:18 PM
I found one suggestion on the internet:

--
If using mouse on psaux, then comment out generic mouse line in server
layout   section of XF86Config-4 file. I imagine, that also just

Both work - now buttons 1, 2 and 3 can be correctly switched (via
xmodmap) between left- and right-handed.

BUT: Both of them disable buttons 4 and 5 (the wheel). Their events do
not show up in xev.

Any ideas?

Ulrich

0
d4 (57)
4/27/2006 11:47:47 AM
Solved (hopefully)

I updated to a new version of kdm and to xorg.  My xorg.conf says

Ulrich

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier     "Configured Mouse"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "CorePointer"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
#    Option         "Protocol" "PS/2"
    Option         "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
#    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "false"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

0
d4 (57)

Left hand operators vs right hand operators
Consider we have a template class A templated over a type Type. We create a member operator+(const Type& value). Then we create an non- member template operator+(const Type& value, const A<Type>& a) to take care of the left hand side summation. These two functions have a big difference: the former is a normal member function, while the latter is a template function. What this means is that implicit conversions are not available for calling the templated function. For example, consider: (1) A<float> a; (2) a = a + 1; (3) a = 1 + a; While (2) is ok, (3) does not compile, because of the template function omitting the implicit conversion int->float. Now, one can simulate the implicit conversion by giving the template function extra freedoms over the left hand parameter type, call it Type2 and then explicitly computing it inside the template function (Type converted = value;). Then the left-hand operator+ works like the right- hand operator+, except that the former creates code-bloat. The need for simulation also seems a bit like reverse-engineering. One can see that there clearly is a non-symmetry between the left-hand and right-hand operators. Now, my question is, whether there has been any considerations on solving this non-symmetry? In a nutshell, the goal would be to make it easy to describe a left-hand operator+ (or any other binary operator) that works equivalently to a member right-hand operator+...

Logical indexing of cellarray: The right hand side of this assignment has too few values to satisfy the left hand side.
I use Matlab 2010b and trying to extract a subset cellarray into another cellarray: >>index=logical(zeros(1,4)) >>index(1)=1; >>index(3)=1; >>vv={'aa','ddd','ccc','e'} Typing: >>vv{index} returns: ans = aa ans = ccc Which I am happy about. Now I am trying to use this result: >>rez=vv{index}; >> rez rez = aa understandable Now I want to use whole sellarray: >>rez=cell(1,2) rez = [] [] =================== OFFENDING COMMAND: >>rez{:}=vv{index} ??? The right hand side of ...

x windows usb mouse works, unplug, plug back in, then mouse doesn't work
Using FreeBSD 4.9 and Xf86 4.3, I have a usb mouse that works fine but, when I unplug the mouse and plug it back in, the mouse no longer operates. If I restart X, then the mouse works, again. There does not seem to be a problem with USB finding the mouse. X doesn't seem to like the USB mouse to be unplugged and then plugged back in. Is there a way to get X windows to change this behavior? machinelanguagex01@excite.com (ML) writes: > Using FreeBSD 4.9 and Xf86 4.3, I have a usb mouse that works fine > but, when I unplug the mouse and plug it back in, the mouse no longer > operates. If I restart X, then the mouse works, again. There does not > seem to be a problem with USB finding the mouse. X doesn't seem to > like the USB mouse to be unplugged and then plugged back in. > > Is there a way to get X windows to change this behavior? Maybe it's usbd that's losing track of the mouse? Try rescanning the USB bus. -- Lowell Gilbert, embedded/networking software engineer, Boston area: resume/CV at http://be-well.ilk.org:8088/~lowell/resume/ username/password "public" Lowell Gilbert wrote: > machinelanguagex01@excite.com (ML) writes: > >> Using FreeBSD 4.9 and Xf86 4.3, I have a usb mouse that works fine >> but, when I unplug the mouse and plug it back in, the mouse no longer >> operates. If I restart X, then the mouse works, again. There does not >> seem to be a prob...

KDE 3.2.3, kernel 2.6, left-handed mouse
I recently upgraded from Linux kernel 2.4.18-bf2.4 to 2.6.7-1-k7. After adding 'psmouse' and 'devmouse' to /etc/modules, X works well. But there is a problem with KDE 3.2.3. When I try to switch to left-handed mouse mode, mouse key strokes are handled very strange, e. g. when I click an icon on the panel - no matter if I use the right or left key - a menu pops up. That problem does not occur when I boot kernel 2.4.18-bf2.4. Any suggestions? Thanks. ...

window Controls handing problem
Hi, I have launched an application, it has 1 text box and 1 button now i want to enter some data in text box and then click the button. how can i do that using their controls??? i am trying it using TWAPI package but unable to do that. Thanks On Tuesday, October 30, 2012 8:10:00 AM UTC+5:30, Bal Govind wrote: > Hi, > > I have launched an application, it has 1 text box and 1 button now i want to enter some data in text box and then click the button. how can i do that using their controls??? i am trying it using TWAPI package but unable to do that. > > Thanks let me clarify a bit more. I have created a window application in .net I launched it using twapi. It has a button and a text box. Now i want to enter some data in textbox and to click the button. how can i achieve that using their controls??? Am 30.10.12 03:40, schrieb Bal Govind: > Hi, I have launched an application, it has 1 text box and 1 button > now i want to enter some data in text box and then click the button. > how can i do that using their controls??? i am trying it using TWAPI > package but unable to do that. Thanks Is this a TK question, isn't it? It's not entirely clear what you are trying to do. Does a script like the following help you? package require Tk pack [ttk::entry .e -textvariable yourtext] -expand yes -fill x pack [ttk::button .b -command Doit -text "Press"] proc Doit {} { variable yourtext tk_messageBox -messag...

Switching to left-handed mouse
I know how to do this in gnome and kde but what about other window managers. Specifically Window Maker and fluxbox. I'm assuming there is no single place I can do this for all the window managers. thanks a bunch in advance. On 2008-03-16, sadf <asdf@asdf.com> wrote: > > > I know how to do this in gnome and kde but what about other window > managers. Specifically Window Maker and fluxbox. I'm assuming there > is no single place I can do this for all the window managers. > man xmodmap > thanks a bunch in advance. sadf <asdf@asdf.com>:...

right-hand print problem
Hi -- When I print a page from a site the right-hand side does not print completely all the way down the page. I changed the right-hand margin to 0" but the smalles I can get is .25" I clicked the option to "fit on page" "scale to fit" and i still can't get the whole right side to print. It got better but I did not get it all. This only happens on a wweb page. Using HP LaserJet 5L, Win XP. TIA for any help "Twobtold" <twobtold@aol.company.net> wrote in message news:20040107014117.08176.00002331@mb-m16.aol.com... > Hi -- > When I print a page from a site the right-hand side does not print > completely all the way down the page. I changed the right-hand margin to 0" but > the smalles I can get is .25" I clicked the option to "fit on page" "scale to > fit" and i still can't get the whole right side to print. It got better but I > did not get it all. This only happens on a wweb page. Using HP LaserJet 5L, Win > XP. > TIA for any help Its a problem caused by the web page author. I.e.. its over sized. The only answer in those cases is to change to landscape. The annoying thing Is its pages with a load of rubbish down the left hand side. the rubbish gets printed and the important info gets clipped of. "Trev" <trevbowden@claranet.uk.invalid> wrote in message news:1073480078.97421.0@dyke.uk.clara.net... &...

Changing x-axis plot from right to left to left to right
Hi, For mathematical reasons, I need to change the way that gnuplots my data along the X axis from right to left to left to right (that is, at the minute it plots from 20 down to 1, not from 1 to 20) I am aware of set xrange reverse but this just inverts the whole graph and displays from 17 .... 1 down along the x-axis rather than plotting the other way round. I'm rather stuck and would appreciate some advice. Regards Jamie On 14.08.2012 17:52, Jamie Rees wrote: > For mathematical reasons, I need to change the way that gnuplots my > data along the X axis from right to left to left to right (that is, > at the minute it plots from 20 down to 1, not from 1 to 20) That makes no sense whatsoever. gnuplot generates some kind of picture. It makes absolutely no difference whatsoever whether a line was drawn from left to right or right to left --- it'll be the same line in the end, consisisting of exactly the same pixels being coloured. So since this doesn't make sense, maybe you should tell us what your actual problem is, so we can find out how that might be solved. On Tuesday, August 14, 2012 6:12:33 PM UTC+1, Hans-Bernhard Br=F6ker wrote: > On 14.08.2012 17:52, Jamie Rees wrote: >=20 >=20 >=20 > > For mathematical reasons, I need to change the way that gnuplots my >=20 > > data along the X axis from right to left to left to right (that is, >=20 > > at the minute it plots from...

DamnSmallLinux
Help. Control Panel (or whatever it's called) has no mouse config button that I can find. Has buttons for everything else. Awesome OS though. flyer <flyer@there.net>: > > Control Panel (or whatever it's called) has no mouse config button > that I can find. Has buttons for everything else. xmodmap -e "pointer = 3 2 1" To automate that, put "pointer = 3 2 1" (no quotes) in $HOME/.Xmodmap, then add "xmodmap $HOME/.Xmodmap" in your $HOME/.xinitrc or $HOME/.xsession > Awesome OS though. It's amazing what ...

problem with left+right mouse down+up on Mac
I'm having an issue with right and left mouse button events on OSX. I use a two button mouse, and when both buttons are down at the same time, the subsequent button up events get mangled. I looked at the code in src/mac/carbon/toplevel.cpp, specifically the SetupMouseEvent method, and see that there's a snippet in there that is trying to adjust for control-clicks that are interpreted as right-clicks. this appears to be by design but is causing me problems... I would even call it a bug perhaps void SetupMouseEvent( wxMouseEvent &wxevent , wxMacCarbonEvent...

making filemaker do left and right hand page layouts
I have a big document in filemaker that I am going to print duplex. But as filemaker doesn't know about left and right hand pages, the page layout will have to have a big margin on both sides to allow for binding. Once it is printed duplex, the binding will be on the left hand side of odd numbered pages, and on the right hand side of even numbered pages. So the layout will have to have binding margins both left and right. Is there any way round this? Is there a filemaker plug in that will do left and right hand page margins? Or is there any oher way round it? the only way I ca...

Local Coordinate Is Left Or Right Hand Coordinate System ?
Hi everyone ! I am reading a paper names "Light Scattering from Human Hair Fibers". In this paper it shows that everying is computed in right-hand coordinate system, includes incident angle, azimuths in normal plane. I have known that in renderman's surface shader, the dPdu,dPdv,Ng is the local orthonomal basis, and it's a left-handed coordinate system.as renderman. So How can I make a right hand coordinate in surface shader if I want to use curve to represent the hair and fur ? Use dPdu^dPdv or dPdv^dPdu ? or just using dPdv and forwarded N ? How can I transfo...

Right Mouse Button doesn't work in KDE applications
I have run into a problem with KDE 2.2. For the last week or so, the right mouse button does not work in applications running under KDE. For example, if I select a misspelled word in Star Office, and right click on it, I do not get the drop down menu with the spelling corrections on it. In Gnome Mines, the right click no longer makes a mine. In Konqueror, the right click on a file no longer give the menu. Nothing happens. If I start my Mandrake control center (I am running version 9.0) and bring up the mouse hardware, it no longer detects the right click on the checkout screen. However, if I right click on a window title bar, I get the drop down screen. If I right click on the desktop, I get the normal drop down menu. If I switch from a a right handed to a left handed mouse, the right mouse button works as expected for a left handed setting. The left button does not. Since the right button always works in some conditions (including under Windows), I know the mouse is OK. I can't think of anything I have done to cause this problem. Any suggestions? I am running Mandrake 9.0 with KDE 2.2. The machine is a dual boot Windows 98 and Linux, AMD K6-II at 500 MHz with 512 Meg of memory, and two 40 gig drives, one for Linux, one for Windows. Thanx for any helpI have run into a problem with KDE 2.2. For the last week or so, the right mouse button does not work in applications running under KDE. For example, if I select a misspelled word in Star Office, and righ...

Right Mouse Button doesn't work in KDE applications #2
I have run into a problem with KDE 2.2. For the last week or so, the right mouse button does not work in applications running under KDE. For example, if I select a misspelled word in Star Office, and right click on it, I do not get the drop down menu with the spelling corrections on it. In Gnome Mines, the right click no longer makes a mine. In Konqueror, the right click on a file no longer give the menu. Nothing happens. In all the cases, it is like the click is not being detected. The system had been working, and just stopped, for reasons I can't fatham. If I start my Mandrake control center (I am running version 9.0) and bring up the mouse hardware, it no longer detects the right click on the checkout screen. However, if I right click on a window title bar, I get the drop down screen. If I right click on the desktop, I get the normal drop down menu. If I switch from a a right handed to a left handed mouse, the right mouse button works as expected for a left handed setting. The left button does not. Since the right button always works in some conditions (including under Windows), I know the mouse is OK. I can't think of anything I have done to cause this problem. Any suggestions? I am running Mandrake 9.0 with KDE 2.2. The machine is a dual boot Windows 98 and Linux, AMD K6-II at 500 MHz with 512 Meg of memory, and two 40 gig drives, one for Linux, one for Windows. Thanx for any help On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 21:43:52 -0500, "Bill" <billr...

how make /%([0-f]{2})/ -> sprintf( "%c", "\x" "\\1" ) problem : var = "\x27" # work var = 27 ; var = "\x" var ; # doesnt work, for sprintf %c
.... On 27.10.2014 18:32, {xmb} wrote: > ... > What a stupid question! Read http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html and Learn or Leave thank you _not_ for your useless text. if u want to help do so, u didnt. On Tue, 28 Oct 2014 07:42:00 -0700, {xmb} wrote: > thank you _not_ for your useless text. if u want to help do so, u didnt. Your question was unintelligible. The people in this group are very willing to help, in my experience. Your question just did not show the proper attitude or mental state to justify spending time answering. ...

what does SHIFT-left-or-right of up-down-left-right do?
Well, I know about shift up-and-down: shift-right ("red" or whatever) up and down on choose-box, HIST, things like that, take the cursor all the way to the beginning or the end. shift-left ("white") on up and down scroll the screen-full up or down (the FIRST such click *stupidly* goes to the final CURRENTLY-ON-SCREEN choice or whatever (meaning TWO double-button-pushes to scroll-down that FIRST time.) What are some of the OTHER possibilities, ie with the left and right arrows? Oh, apparantely undocumented, I've found (via mistaken key-pushes) that RIGHT-arrow will do a SWAP (on stack), and that an UP-arrow gets you into HIST (that HIST is *one nice feature*!) Other tricks with those arrows? Thanks! David David Combs wrote: > Well, I know about shift up-and-down: > > shift-right ("red" or whatever) up and down on > choose-box, HIST, things like that, take the > cursor all the way to the beginning or the end. > > shift-left ("white") on up and down scroll the > screen-full up or down (the FIRST such click > *stupidly* goes to the final CURRENTLY-ON-SCREEN > choice or whatever (meaning TWO double-button-pushes > to scroll-down that FIRST time.) > > > What are some of the OTHER possibilities, ie with the > left and right arrows? > > > Oh, apparantely undocumented,...

Monk using Hand to Hand ineffective?
I've gone through the entire game (nearly done, I think) with an orc monk character.. While I was hoping on eventually being a kung-fu master, I found myself using the bow more than anything. The hand-to-hand approach has proven to basically been fatal, especially when there's more than one foe. I have used it enough to improve the skill to Journeyman. Has anyone used HtH effectively? I always end up running backwards in circles, perforating my enemies with a boatload of arrows (which is amusing in itself mind you... some of those beasties end up looking like porcupines when they ...

I can get X mouse wheel OR console mouse to work, but not both
I can get console mouse (gpm) and X to work together but with no wheel mouse support in X (Configuration 1), OR I can get X to work with mouse wheel support (Configuration 2), but not both. If I try hard to get both to work (Configuration 3), I get berserk mouse behavior. Configuration 1 --------------- Use /etc/rc.d/init.d/gpm or manual command to execute "gpm -t ps2 -2 -R raw" (also tried without the "-2"), and invoke X with the following mouse configuration (excerpt from /etc/X11/XF86Config-4): Section "InputDevice" Identifier "Mouse0&qu...

problem with hand tool
Frequently when editing a fairly large file I have tried to navigate by holding down the space bar and then dragging the hand within the image. If the image is big enough (in bytes, not zoom size) the tool shapes to the hand, but the action performed is the underlying tool not moving. So, for example, if I'm using the clone tool the image will get a smear across it rather than moving. I'm using a Wacom tablet with the mouse, if this is relevant. Has anyone else had this problem? -- Robert D Feinman Landscapes, Cityscapes and Panoramic Photographs http://robertdfeinman.com mail: rob...

Problem with X-window
I have a little problem. I copied some files from 'proc' directory to other and after that operation my x-window stopped. I used Ctrl + Alt + F1. Now I am work in a console, and I can't lunch the x-window again. I know that it possible, because x is running now. Can I logout? b.swietochowski@silliker.pl did eloquently scribble: > > > I have a little problem. I copied some files from 'proc' directory to > other and after that operation my x-window stopped. I used Ctrl + Alt + > F1. Now I am work in a console, and I can't lunch the x-window again. I >...

X Window Problem
Hello all, I have a linux box having a X server running on it. What i want to do is to run the application on my linux box and send the display on my machine which is FreeBSD 4.8. I am connected to linux box through telnet. I did the usual display stuff i.e xhost + and setting DISPLAY variable on linux machine. But it is not giving me the requried results : ( ! It keeps on giving me "unable to open display" error all the time no matter what i try out. I tried the same with linux to linux boxes ! it worked without a hitch ! The problem is only comming when linux to Fre...

Poker Hand problem
Thaks for the info, but I just do not get the rational of how to load the picture?? "put another picturebox on the form, load the card image, and in the lblmark mousedown or click event, place: picboard.PaintPicture Picture1.Picture, lblmark(Index).Left, lblmark(Index).Top " > Hi all, > I was wondering if I could have some help with this program. I have an > array here that you click on a label that represents a card of a certain > suit. After you click on 5 it checks for a flush, strait, three of a kind, > 2 pair, pair, 4 of a kind, royal flush or full house....

does PHP read left to right or right to left?
I've two functions. currentHeadline looks in $_GET for a variable called 'image' and prints what it finds. showThumbnail takes an image for a parameter and resizes it before sending it to the screen. But when I do this: <?php showThumbnail(currentImage(), 20, 20); ?> showThumbnail is telling me that it is not being given a file name, and currentImage is printing the file name to the screen. How is that possible? What is the right way to do this? lawrence k wrote: > I've two functions. currentHeadline looks in $_GET for a variable > called 'image' and pr...

Left-handed pages
Can anyone comment on the frequency (prevalence?) of pages that are stacked on the left? I see it as a concession to 800x600 screens. OK. But is there a way of using the full 1024x768 or larger screens without forcing horizontal scrolling on smaller screens? I'm seeing 17" monitors going to waste. Mason C Mason A. Clark wrote: > Can anyone comment on the frequency (prevalence?) of pages that are > stacked on the left? > > I see it as a concession to 800x600 screens. OK. But is there a > way of using the full 1024x768 or larger screens w...

Web resources about - mouse: problem with left-handed, right-handed works - comp.windows.x.kde

Right Handed - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
When printing from odd old single negatives it is quite easy to get one the wrong way round. Having checked the first neg printed correctly, ...

Gang-gang: Canberrans search for rare right-handed cockatoos
It is time for this opinion-forming column to give its contrary award for the unAustralian of the Year. Tremble, Australia!

Orioles add two right-handed pitchers in Rule 5 draft Thursday
After a quiet week at baseball's winter meetings, the Orioles added a pair of right-handed pitchers in Thursday's Rule 5 draft who the organization ...

Right handed power: A potential dividing line
Power hitter or hitter with power? What is the dividing line? Right handed power. Some organizations claim they desire it; some analysts decry ...

Is It Time for Pablo Sandoval to Shelve Feeble Right-Handed Swing?
With a bat in his hands these days, Pablo Sandoval is either an All-Star-caliber hitter or barely better than a pitcher standing in the batter's ...

The Althouse Amazon portal: reversible for left or right-handed shoppers.
By using the Althouse portal , you can buy things you want and – while paying nothing extra – make a contribution to this blog. We notice. We ...

How Left Or Right-Handed Are You?
Everyone's a little lefty, right?

Right-Handed Pitcher Chris Young Dominates For Triple-A Buffalo Bisons; Return To New York Mets’ Starting ...
The 33-year-old who signed a Minor League deal with the Mets on March 26th tossed six scoreless innings, allowing two hits and three walks. He ...

Why is rifling twist direction usually right-handed?
It's left-handed in Briton, right in the USA - but why?

Tim Tebow Now Right-Handed, Back With Broncos, Posits Indian League
There are many, many things wrong with this terribly edited picture of a right-handed Tim Tebow in a Broncos uniform being used as an advertisement ...