Compose key on right alt + right ctrl

Hello all.

I use xorg 7.2 with the German keyboard layout (no dead keys).  The
relevant section from my xorg.conf:

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Keyboard1"
    Driver      "kbd"
    Option "AutoRepeat" "500 30"
    Option "XkbRules"   "xorg"
    Option "XkbModel"   "pc105"
    Option "XkbLayout"  "de"
    Option "XkbVariant" "nodeadkeys"
    Option "XkbOptions" "ctrl:swapcaps,eurosign:e"
EndSection

Now I'd like to have the compose key ("Multi_key") on the key
combination right alt + right control.  Right alt is the level 3
modifier on a German keyboard, I think.  Therefor I tried the
following xmodmap commands consecutively:

xmodmap -e 'keysym Control_R = Control_R Control_R Multi_key'
xmodmap -e 'keysym Control_R = Control_R Control_R Multi_key Multi_key'
xmodmap -e 'keysym Control_R = Control_R Control_R Multi_key Multi_key Multi_key Multi_key'

Neither of those worked.

I could get it to accept shift + right control with the following
command, though:

xmodmap -e "keycode 109 = Control_R Multi_key"

(Using "keycode 109" or "keysym Control_R" made no difference in all
cases.)

I couldn't find any decent documentation about the arguments to
'xmodmap -e' so I'm a little lost.  The xmodmap man page was no help
at all in that regard.  If you know any docs/etc. about this I'd
really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
Tobias
0
Tobias
7/19/2007 9:02:59 PM
comp.windows.x 1388 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

Tobias Brink wrote:

> I'd like to have the compose key ("Multi_key") on the key
> combination right alt + right control. [...]
> [xmodmap commands]

This combination cannot be served by xmodmap but only by the
xkb (aka XKEYBOARD) extension.

> xmodmap -e "keycode 109 = Control_R Multi_key"

This works because the mapping was designed to know Shift and Mode_switch.

> I couldn't find any decent documentation about the arguments to
> 'xmodmap -e' so I'm a little lost.

Apart from that you need to succeed with the xkb extension:
You need to understand the X11 keyboard model to understand
xmodmap. The documentation of the tool xkeycaps helps a lot.
(Additionally, I once collected some hints for myself on
<http://www.in-ulm.de/~mascheck/X11/xmodmap.html>)
0
Sven
7/20/2007 10:57:39 PM
Hello.

Sven Mascheck <cwx.k.mascheck@spamgourmet.com> writes:

>> I'd like to have the compose key ("Multi_key") on the key
>> combination right alt + right control. [...]
>> [xmodmap commands]
>
> This combination cannot be served by xmodmap but only by the
> xkb (aka XKEYBOARD) extension.

But, IIUC, there is no readily available option for xorg.conf, or is
there?  All I found were the following single key mappings in
/usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/base.lst:

  compose:ralt         Right Alt is Compose.
  compose:rwin         Right Win-key is Compose.
  compose:menu         Menu is Compose.
  compose:rctrl        Right Ctrl is Compose.
  compose:caps         Caps Lock is Compose.

>> xmodmap -e "keycode 109 = Control_R Multi_key"
>
> This works because the mapping was designed to know Shift and
> Mode_switch.

And xmodmap doesn't "understand" ISO_Level3_Shift, too.  Why these
extra symbols (@,€,{,[,etc.) are activated via ISO_Level3_Shift on a
German keyboard layout and not via Mode_switch is rather strange,
IMHO.  When I remapped the right alt key to Mode_switch I could
achieve my goal but the extra mappings on my keyboard where lost.  So
I'll probably make my own xkb keyboard map as I don't like most of the
standard mappings anyway (most of the standard mappings reached via
ISO_Level3_Shift are rather useless to me).  I just thought it would
be easier.

Thanks for your help.

Greetings,
Tobias
0
Tobias
7/21/2007 2:04:26 PM
Tobias Brink <tobias.brink@gmail.com> writes:

> I'll probably make my own xkb keyboard map as I don't like most of the
> standard mappings anyway (most of the standard mappings reached via
> ISO_Level3_Shift are rather useless to me).

And I did that.  It works now.

Greetings,
Tobias
0
Tobias

how to make the right alt key has the mata function same as the left alt key
Hi, I have installed emacs in my computer,my left alt key has the meta function,but in my keyboard there is also a right alt key,i pressed it ,but it has no the same function as the left alt key does.For convenience,i want the right alt has the same effect just same as the left alt key, so i runed showkey ,it revealed that right alt has the value:100,the left alt :56,so in the .emacs file I added a line (keyboard-translate ?\100 ?\56) at the bottom of the file .but it does not effect. how could i do ,help me ,I have suffered for days. thanks a lot "stan" <bcjrstan@yahoo.com...

how to delete the close button (the X on the right most corner of the window) on a window
i am working on an MDIParentFrame and MDIChildFrame. Now, what i want to do is make the ChildFrame not that easy to close by removing the close button (the X on the right most corner of the window) if this is possible... how am i going to do this? On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 09:25:43 -0800, jrlen balane wrote: > i am working on an MDIParentFrame and MDIChildFrame. Now, what i want > to do is make the ChildFrame not that easy to close by removing the > close button (the X on the right most corner of the window) if this is > possible... > > how am i going to do this? Why is this a...

Right Alt-Key problem.
Hi, One of our customers uses a keyboard with two Alt-keys. Whenever he presses the Alt_K or Alt_P with the left Alt-key, the inkey() value in xHarbour is as expected in inkey.ch. However, if he user the right Alt-Key, inkey() returnes totally different values, and sometimes right Alt_K doesn't seem to trigger the application the leave the wait state inkey(0) at all. I did google for "Right Alt problem windows", but couldn't find anything useful. Any suggestions? Thanks, Gerard Dear Gerard: On Dec 19, 6:42=A0am, "Gerard" <codg...@yahoo.com> wrote...

Changing x-axis plot from right to left to left to right
Hi, For mathematical reasons, I need to change the way that gnuplots my data along the X axis from right to left to left to right (that is, at the minute it plots from 20 down to 1, not from 1 to 20) I am aware of set xrange reverse but this just inverts the whole graph and displays from 17 .... 1 down along the x-axis rather than plotting the other way round. I'm rather stuck and would appreciate some advice. Regards Jamie On 14.08.2012 17:52, Jamie Rees wrote: > For mathematical reasons, I need to change the way that gnuplots my > data along the X axis from ri...

Activate Right ALT Key on PuTTY
I'd like to know how to make the Right ALT key play the same function as Left ALT key in PuTTY in the standard keyboard? The terminal response to the Left ALT key is: ALT-x : ^[x But the response to the Right ALT key is: ALT-x : x I am using Emacs and wish both Right and Left ALT keys serve as Meta key. I know Tera Term emulator can do this (both ALT keys function as Meta key). My question is how to treak PuTTY to make it interpret Right ALT key as Meta key too. Thank you very much for your help! Feiming ...

My right Alt key cannot work in console!!
When I switchs to console mode, my right alt key cannot work. But it works normally in X window. My keyboard is Logitech MS keyboard. Can anyone tell how setup my linux well? On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 22:43:18 +0800, fhope <fhope@pchome.com.tw> wrote: > > > When I switchs to console mode, my right alt key cannot work. But > it works normally in X window. > My keyboard is Logitech MS keyboard. > Can anyone tell how setup my linux well? > The leftAlt key is usually the Meta key, which is not the same as Alt. Normally leftAlt-whatever can be accomplishe...

how to change the right alt key to a space?
Hi: I tried to clean my laptop keyboard but accidentally broken my space key..... Can anybody tell me how to make the righ alt key to function as a space key? Thanks so much in advance. Zhengquan ...

Unmapping right shift key in X
I just got an old used laptop. It works just fine for what I need, but the right shift key keeps getting stuck. Is there a way to unmap the right shift key so it doesn't work? I just want to turn it off totally. xmodmap only seem to affect the Shift modifier, not RShift and LShift separately. So I would guess I have to redefine the modifiers. How do I do that? Thanks, --Yan On May 27, 10:01 pm, Captain Dondo <y...@NsOeSiPnAeMr.com> wrote: > I just got an old used laptop. It works just fine for what I need, but > the right shift key keeps getting stuck. > > Is th...

Dsiable Ctrl+Alt+Del and/or Windows Key
Hi, I have this code for disabling the Windows key and Ctrl+Alt+Delete: SystemParametersInfo( SPI_SCREENSAVERRUNNING, 1, @Dummy, 0); Does anybody know of any code to disable (and re-enable) the Windows key and the Ctrl+Alt+Del combination seperately? The code must now rely on the application continuing to run (ie. keep them disabled after it terminates), and preferably not in a component. Thanks in anticipation, QS Computing. QS Computing wrote: > Hi, > > I have this code for disabling the Windows key and Ctrl+Alt+Delete: > > SystemParametersInfo( SP...

Lost some ctrl-alt keys in X
Hi I've lost some important keys since a Debian security update in XFree86 4.3: Ctrl-Alt-F?, Ctrl-Alt+, Ctrl-Alt-. Ctrl-Alt-Backspace is still working. I don't run debian anymore, but KUbuntu 5.04 which uses X.org instead of XFree86 but the problem remains. So far I tried purging * with 6.8.2 as version number (X.Org) and reinstall from scratch. It didn't help. So I recompiled myself X.Org and put it in another directory. When I use it the problem goes away. But, I have to maintain 2 X systems in parallel. Any idea where the key definitions are in the stock X system? Man...

how to change the right alt key to a space? #2
Hi: I tried to clean my laptop keyboard but accidentally broken my space key..... Can anybody tell me how to make the righ alt key to function as a space key? Thanks so much in advance. Zhengquan On 21 May 2007 09:00:58 -0700, zhengquan <zhang.zhengquan@gmail.com> wrote: > > > Hi: > I tried to clean my laptop keyboard but accidentally broken my space > key..... > Can anybody tell me how to make the righ alt key to function as a > space key? > man xmodmap -- A jury consists of twelve persons chosen to decide who has the better lawyer. -- Robert Frost O...

Alt Gr keycode, Ctrl left or right...
Hi, I wanted to know if a user have pressed the following keys: Alt Gr, Ctrl left or right but with the event.keyCode the values returned are: for Ctrl always 17 for both left or right for Alt Gr Firefox returns a 18 following 17 while IE 17 now how can I know if a user has pressed a left Ctrl key or better an Alt Gr key? Thanks xdevel1999 wrote on 11 dec 2008 in comp.lang.javascript: > Hi, > > I wanted to know if a user have pressed the following keys: > > Alt Gr, Ctrl left or right but with the event.keyCode the values > returned are: > > for Ctrl always 17 ...

Windows Media Rights Manager 2.x
Is there some wma player that has Windows Media Rights Manager 2.x for playing eAudiobooks? -- Ron In article <f8af2a8e-f809-4a2f-9698-64e3ebea9b99@a23g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>, Ron Peterson <ron@shell.core.com> wrote: > Is there some wma player that has Windows Media Rights Manager 2.x for > playing eAudiobooks? > > -- > Ron On Windows, yes. On MacOS X, nope. Sorry. Bill thoughtlessly skipped over porting their software to that platform. -- DeeDee, don't press that button! DeeDee! NO! Dee... ...

cursor in command window not in right place (os x)
When I type in the command window, the cursor does not appear to move a full character for each character typed. Particularly if I use the arrow keys to move around. For example, if I type something like: title('Super Number 1 Plot'); and then move the cursor around with the arrow keys, the cursor will start to appear in the middle of, and eventually far to the left of, the character that it should be to the right of. It is really irritating when I am trying to delete chars or type new chars since I cannot tell where I will be deleting/inserting. I thought maybe matlab was not usin...

Web resources about - Compose key on right alt + right ctrl - comp.windows.x

Compose key - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The compose key can be found on the LK201 family of keyboards from Digital Equipment Corporation and its successors. The key can also be found ...

Facebook tests omnipresent ‘compose’ button to let users make posts from any page of the site
Some users are seeing a new icon in the header of Facebook.com, which allows them to quickly compose a post or share a photo from any page they’re ...

Compose - Send email without distraction on the App Store on iTunes
Get Compose - Send email without distraction on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Old Compose Return Your Gmail Settings! - YouTube
... Select the three horizontal lines to the right of the address bar 2) Hover over "Tools" and select "Extensions" 3) Drag and Drop the Old Compose ...

How to get the old Gmail compose screen back
Gmail forced 425 million users onto a new compose interface, but you can get the old one back.

Duke Ellington composes music for the Stratford Festival
Relive Canada's history through CBC Radio and Television. This free site features thousands of radio and television clips from the archives of ...

Nova Scotia woman composes tribute to fishermen lost at sea
One Nova Scotia woman whose family has a long history in the fishing industry has just debuted The Seafarers Requiem, a tribute to those lost ...

Jeremy Duan to Compose Song for Fans at 1st Concert
Chinese singer-songwriter Jeremy Duan Linxi (left) poses with Zhao Xiaohua, host of EZFM's Roundtable, during an interview at CRI's studio in ...

Gmail’s new compose window rolling out as default for all users starting today
We told you in October that Google was beginning to test a redesigned compose and reply window in Gmail for a number of users. Google was previously ...

Gmail iOS app updated with iOS 7 design tweaks, full-screen compose on iPad, & more
... bar to switch between categories and accounts in landscape - Full screen view of your messages in portrait - Better scrolling - Compose new ...