How to run X applications using different user ids on two different machines

Hello newsgroup participants,
I am in the following situation:
I have two accounts (let us call them a1 and a2) on two different
machines (let us call them m1 and m2). I want to do following: I would
like to start application
on machine m1 under account a1 and got it displayed back on machine m2
(so far account does not matter). I cannot set any additional user
acount on machine m2
because I do not have root privilegies, so it means also I cannot set
any user
account a1 on machine m2. Magic cookie authorization, as I understand
it, would not work under these circumstances in its most common form
but maybe there are some not so obvious methods how to achieve what I
want?

Thank you in advance.

With Best Regards
Ariel Burbaickij
0
Ariel
5/7/2004 11:36:25 AM
comp.windows.x 1388 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

In comp.windows.x, Ariel.Burbaickij@web.de
<Ariel.Burbaickij@web.de>
 wrote
on 7 May 2004 04:36:25 -0700
<d4352878.0405070336.72c28de9@posting.google.com>:
> Hello newsgroup participants,
> I am in the following situation:
> I have two accounts (let us call them a1 and a2) on two different
> machines (let us call them m1 and m2). I want to do following: I would
> like to start application
> on machine m1 under account a1 and got it displayed back on machine m2
> (so far account does not matter). I cannot set any additional user
> acount on machine m2
> because I do not have root privilegies, so it means also I cannot set
> any user
> account a1 on machine m2. Magic cookie authorization, as I understand
> it, would not work under these circumstances in its most common form
> but maybe there are some not so obvious methods how to achieve what I
> want?
>
> Thank you in advance.

The simplest method is to use ssh:

ssh -X a2@m2

will do exactly what you want, if m2 supports X11Forwarding
in /etc/ssh/sshd_config.  (By default this is disabled, however.)

#191, ewill3@earthlink.net
It's still legal to go .sigless.
0
The
5/7/2004 4:11:45 PM
Ariel.Burbaickij@web.de writes in comp.windows.x:
|I have two accounts (let us call them a1 and a2) on two different
|machines (let us call them m1 and m2). I want to do following: I would
|like to start application
|on machine m1 under account a1 and got it displayed back on machine m2

http://www.xs4all.nl/~zweije/xauth.html

Alan Coopersmith                              alanc@alum.calberkeley.org
http://www.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU/~alanc/       aka: Alan.Coopersmith@Sun.COM
Alan

Running X Applications on Remote Systems as a DIFFERENT User
I've used ssh with the -X switch for forwarding X applications from one Linux system to another. That's not what I'm having problems doing. I have a server that currently does not have X11 (in either form, old X11, new X.org) installed and would prefer to keep it that way, due to resource usage and such. On my workstation I log in as "hal". When I ssh in to the server, I log in as "admin". There's no problem, of course, with this. The problem is that while I'm logged in through ssh, I'd like to be able to run X apps on the server that open thei...

Differs (x*x/2000)-(30/70*x) from (x/2000*x)-(30*x/70) ?
Hi everyone, gnuplot presents different plots for equivalent functions. I have testet it with the following script : --- begin --- set term postscript set output "gnuplot-bug.ps" plot [x=0:600] (x*x/2)-(30/70*x), (x*x/2)-(30*x/70) plot [x=0:600] (x*x/20)-(30/70*x ), (x*x/20)-(30*x/70) plot [x=0:600] (x*x/200)-(30/70*x ), (x*x/200)-(30*x/70) plot [x=0:600] (x*x/2000)-(30/70*x ), (x*x/2000)-(30*x/70) plot [x=0:600] (x*x/2000)-(30/70*x ), (x/2000*x)-(30*x/70) --- end --- I think, there schould only exists small nummerical differences of course there could be di...

Can different-users have different-X?
For the PC that never goes-online, I login as root. *sorry*!! Now I've got a subtle/complex problem that seems to be related to the font-server. I read that only root can change the font-server. I don't want to reboot, and lose all my work, but wanted to see/if what a non-root user sees in X. Because I didn't cultivate the habit of pretending I'm various different non-root userS, I just *assumed* that this multi-user OS could log different users into different X configurations. I favour blacbox, but Mary may prefer twm. The error is <server already active o...

to_char function differ at ids 10.x and ids 11.x
As far as I know, For informix function to_char() ids 10.x: convert date or datetime to string only. ids 11.x : convert time or number to string. A software company that sold us a package which was developed on informix server 11.x. The problem is our informix server is ids 10.x. When convert number to character it failed. Can anyone give me some advice to solve this problem? --_aca7c2a1-4d8d-4208-bd81-23b78435d180_ Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hello: You can: 1) build an implicit cast=2C in order to fit ...

Why FFT(x-mean(x)) and FFT(x)-FFT(mean(x)) different
Hi guys, The Linearity property of Fourier transform says: z(t)=af1(t)+bf2(t) the linear combination of the terms is unaffected by the transform. Z(&#969;)=aF1(&#969;)+bF2(&#969;) and Z(&#969;) = FFT{ z(t) }. I synthesised a signal, sn as follows. I want to remove the mean values in the signal. According to the Fourier transform property, FFT{x-mean(x)} = FFT{x}-FFT{mean(x)} the left hand side should equal to the right hand side. But my simulation suggested they are different. Can anyone sports any mistakes I've made? Cheers, --------...

What is the difference between Java JRE 5.x and 6.x (1.5.x / 1.6.x) ???
What exactly is the difference between the JRE 5.x and 6.x (or 1.5.x and 1.6.x) versions of the Sun Java Runtime Engine for windows? Why does Sun maintain 2 different versions or streams or forks of the JRE? Is it true that version 5 was supposed to have an EOL this past October - or was it always EOL in October 2009? How would my "internet browsing experience" be different if my system had the latest update of version 5 versus version 6? Is it true that version 6 is somehow optimized or faster than 5? sm5w2@yahoo.com wrote: > What exactly is the difference between the JRE 5....

Which of the 78 different X Window managers should I use? And why?
huh? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_window_manager#X_Window_managers The world of open source is truly fucked up. On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 09:57:37 -0400, DFS wrote: > huh? > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_window_manager#X_Window_managers Why not try them all and then decide? > The world of open source is truly fucked up. Completely. DFS stated in post jkv5co$p81$6@dont-email.me on 3/28/12 6:57 AM: > huh? > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_window_manager#X_Window_managers > > > The world of open source is truly fucked up. > Because you say so? -- 🙈&...

running same script on same data on two different machines --> different result
I am running the same script on the same data on two different machines (the folder is synchronised with Dropbox). I get two different results. All the script does is count words in different files and perform a simple set operation on the word lists. The laptop is a Macbook Pro (2 1/2 years old) running OS X 10.5.5 with Python 2.5.1 The desktop is an iMac (brand new) running OS X 10.5.5 also with Python 2.5.1 I have tried running the script on an ubuntu server with Python 2.5.2 and the results corresponded with my laptop's output. How can I find out the cause of this anomaly? What tests ...

The difference between x and 'x
G'Day all, Just a quick question or two: 1) is '(1 2 3) the same as (list 1 2 3) ? 2) 'x is the string "x" or the identifer x, or both? Paul Matthews <PaulMatthews@yahoo.com> wrote: > 1) is '(1 2 3) the same as (list 1 2 3) ? It depends what you mean by "the same as." (For lengthy discussion, see R5RS.) ]> (eq? '(1 2 3) (list 1 2 3)) #f ]> (eqv? '(1 2 3) (list 1 2 3)) #f ]> (equal? '(1 2 3) (list 1 2 3)) #t > 2) 'x is the string "x" or the identifer x, or both? Neither. It's a symbol. Quoting R5RS,...

X-windows display of Mathematica graphics run remotely on Mac OS X machine
I have Mathematica 5.0 installed on Mac OS X from a CD. I know I can ssh to my machine and run Mathematica on the command-line using /Applications/Mathematica\ 5.0.app/Contents/MacOS/MathKernel. If the machine I'm ssh-ing from has X-windows capability and I use X-forwarding when I ssh, is it possible to have Mathematica display graphics? I poked a little around the documentation and various files, and it seems that to do this I need SystemFiles/Graphics/Motif.m and/or SystemFiles/Graphics/X11.m and motifps and probably more, none of which comes with the standard OS X distributio...

x += ... is not the same than x = x + ... if x is mutable
Hi, I thought that x +=3D ... was the same than x =3D x + ..., but today I have= realized it is not true when operating with mutable objects. In Python 3.3 or 2.7 IDLE (Windows) compare: >>> a =3D [3] >>> b =3D a >>> a =3D a + [1] >>> b [3] and >>> a =3D [3] >>> b =3D a >>> a +=3D [1] >>> b [3, 1] Is this behaviour explained in the Python documentation?=20 Thanking you in advance, Bartolom=E9 Sintes bartolome.sintes@gmail.com writes: > Hi, > > I thought that x += ... was t...

Re: X-windows display of Mathematica graphics run remotely on Mac OS X machine
on 08/12/03 4:43 AM, Lot-o-fun at lotofun@hotmail.com wrote: > I have Mathematica 5.0 installed on Mac OS X from a CD. I know I can > ssh to my machine and run Mathematica on the command-line using > /Applications/Mathematica\ 5.0.app/Contents/MacOS/MathKernel. If the > machine I'm ssh-ing from has X-windows capability and I use > X-forwarding when I ssh, is it possible to have Mathematica display > graphics? I poked a little around the documentation and various files, > and it seems that to do this I need SystemFiles/Graphics/Motif.m and/or > SystemFil...

Solving grad( s(x,y) ) = R(x,y) using finite differences in Matlab
Hi am trying to find the Least Square Error solution (LSE) to the equation: grad( s(x,y) ) = R(x,y) where R is known. First off: how do I find the finite difference gradient operator as a matrix in Matlab? Second how do I find the LSE solution using the Conjugate Gradient (CG) method in Matlab? Thanks in advance for any answers! On 6/26/2012 1:15 PM, Andy wrote: > Hi am trying to find the Least Square Error solution (LSE) to the equation: > grad( s(x,y) ) = R(x,y) > where R is known. > > First off: how do I find the finite difference gradient operator as a ma...

Re: Re: X-windows display of Mathematica graphics run remotely on Mac OS X machine
on 08/14/03 5:07 AM, Lot-o-fun at lotofun@hotmail.com wrote: >> Seems as if what you really want is an X11 front end. Then you do as >> 'normal', i.e., fire up the local front end and have it talk to the kernel >> on the Mac. Unless you're really wanting the Mac to be sending the >> window/graphics info, i.e. run an X11 front end on the Mac but have it >> display on the other machine. In that case, I'm completely clueless (though >> my guess is that it can't be done that way). > > An X11 front end that runs on the Mac ...

Web resources about - How to run X applications using different user ids on two different machines - comp.windows.x

ACT development application volume falls between 2015 and 2014
Development applications dropped in the ACT in 2015 compared with 2014, year-end government figures show.

Apple Stores planned for India as application is filed with regulators
... India Times , the company has recently taken a major step in accomplishing that goal. According to the report, Apple has just filed an application ...

Tech City UK received just 37 applications for a visa scheme that could allow 200 tech immigrants to ...
Tech City UK, a taxpayer-funded government organisation, has received just 37 applications since April 2015 for a dedicated technology visa that ...

MBA: Mortgage Applications Increased in Latest Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications up 17% YoY
From the MBA: Refinance Mortgage Applications Increase as Rates Fall in Latest MBA Weekly Survey Mortgage applications increased 9.0 percent ...

Mortgage applications up 8.8%
Defying expectations for the start of 2016, mortgage rates spiraled down further last week, spurring more applications.

The USPTO updates their refusal of Sony's 'Let's Play' trademark application
... and Trademarks Office shot them down. What was interesting was the USPTO’s justification for doing so. They didn’t originally deny the application ...

Digitimes Research: Non-gaming VR applications showcased at CES 2016
VR (virtual reality) devices showcased at the 2016 Consumer Electronics Show (CES) highlighted many applications beyond gaming to include education, ...

Application Containers Gain Traction Among IT Pros
The Robin Systems survey indicated 81 percent of respondents expect their companies to increase the investment in container-based technology. ...

Trends In Food, Applications In Wine: Tips From The Fancy Food Show
The $109 billion specialty food category has something to teach the wine industry. Here’s a look at prominent trends that are driving that growth, ...