What are nil2 fonts and cursor fonts

Hi,

When I run Xterm I get a message saying that it cannot convert nil2
fonts to
fontstructure. What are nil2 fonts ?. I see it in Xterm.ad.

Also another related question is  what is cursor fonts ?.

Thanks for your help.

Regards
Kanchan

0
v_kanchan
6/19/2005 1:35:14 AM
comp.windows.x 1388 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.x.]
On 18 Jun 2005 18:35:14 -0700, v_kanchan@yahoo.com staggered into the
Black Sun and said:
> When I run Xterm I get a message saying that it cannot convert nil2
> fonts to fontstructure. What are nil2 fonts ?. I see it in Xterm.ad.

In "man xterm" , the Resources section:

iconFont (class IconFont)
     Specifies the font for the miniature active icon window,  if
     this feature is compiled into xterm.  The default is "nil2".

....so I'd guess that nil2 is a set of icons that are arranged into a
font file.  This isn't really something that's insanely important.

> Also another related question:  what [are] cursor fonts?

IIRC, these are fonts where each character is mapped to a pixmap that
can be used as a cursor.  'A' = pointer, 'B' = hourglass, 'C' = resize
left-right, 'D' = resize top-bottom, etcetera.  HTH,

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /    mail: TRAP + SPAN don't belong
http://www.brainbench.com     /                Hire me!
Dances
6/19/2005 2:54:04 AM
  <v_kanchan@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I run Xterm I get a message saying that it cannot convert nil2
> fonts to
> fontstructure. What are nil2 fonts ?. I see it in Xterm.ad.

Fonts too small to read, sometimes used to preview documents.  If your
xterm is configured to use one of these as the smallest font, you can
see it by pressing ctrl-alt-(keypad minus) repeatedly, or ctrl-right
click and choosing the font from the menu.

> Also another related question is  what is cursor fonts ?.

They contain the various cursor shapes such as arrow, pointing hand,
I-bar, etc.

--
I cannot believe that God plays dice with the cosmos.
		-- Albert Einstein, on the randomness of quantum mechanics
Bill Marcum wrote:
> <v_kanchan@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> What are nil2 fonts ?
>
> Fonts too small to read, sometimes used to preview documents.

....and helpful when looking at ASCII-Art and also a weird
workaround if you have to copy&paste a huge amount of text ;-)

[fup2 c.w.x (not linux specific)]
0
Sven

Linotype Font Explorer X, Windows XP & System Fonts
Hi all, I grabbed the above as a replacement for Suitcase (mine's a bit old and creaky) and as ever with Beta software did a backup of critical data and created a system restore point prior to installation. It has however, utterly broken the system fonts - some applications (notably Suitcase - I think it knew what I was up to) and now displays a bold 10pt face which can make some applications unusable. It initially trashed Windows (all fonts vanished, Start Bar, icons, the lot) but a reboot to "last known working configuration" restored these to some weird anti-aliased condense...

MAC Fonts/Windows Fonts
Recently, I was using a Apple MAC and opened a .doc file. I printed the file out and noticed that the font was really "cool," the a was more like an a we write with a c and a line (you know, kinda like we write and NOT the way courier new does). I am trying to figure out: First, does anyone have any idea what font it was? Second, what program do you think I probably used? I think it looks like a TXT file but it is a doc. What is it, just looks really good. Help me our here, please. GNV wrote: > Recently, I was using a Apple MAC and opened a .doc file. I printed > the file out ...

AutoCAD fonts from Windows/Fonts???
Why does AutoCAD get fonts from Windows\Fonts or WinNT\Fonts when it isn't in my support path? I am using AutoCAD 2006 Land Desktop and in options > Files > Support path Windows\Fonts isn't there and yet the fonts show up, are the fonts set up elsewhere? Thanks for your help, NZ The Windows/Fonts directory is a standard windows thing. You'll find font information in the windows registry, in: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion/Fonts Henrik Vallgren www.streamspace.com nzahedi@gmail.com wrote: > Why does AutoCAD get font...

Font name in Windows font dialogs
Hello dear newsgroup readers, When i look into the Microsoft Word font chooser, I see all fonts rendered with the glyphs they contain, except "Windings", "MS Outlook" and some others. My own barcode font now is rendered with its name shown in the symbols of my font which makes really hard to distinguish from other barcode fonts in the drop down list. How do i make windows to show my font name without using the glyphs from my font? With best regards, Daniel Migowski Daniel Migowski wrote: > Hello dear newsgroup readers, > > When i look...

font in ./windows/fonts, but not found by application
A windows application installed in wine fails to find it's specific font: Application related is the capella-reader (free reader/player for capella scores, installer from www.whc.de/download/capella/capella_reader.exe) on current wine on Kubuntu (gutsy) from the partner repository. The related font "Capella3" is installed correctly in ./windows/fonts by the above installer. Console output looks like this: ~/.wine/.../capella-reader$ wine capella.exe fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls&...

Wide font spacing with some fonts in X
I just installed FreeBSD 5.1, and built XFree86 4.3.0 from ports. Whenever X runs, some fonts have wide horizontal spacing, as can be seen at http://happyjack.org/firebird.png. Some fonts are OK, some aren't; I've compiled a list of those that look wrong when browsing through KDE's font dialog: Bitstream Charter Charter Clearlyu Clarrlyu Alternate Glyphs Courier [bitstream] Fangsong Ti Gothic Helvetica Lucida Lucidabright Mincho New Century Schoolbook Newspaper Nil Song Ti Times Utopia I also tried running applications on an X server on a Linux box running...

X Windows Font
hi I am new to the X windows. I am using exceed. My question is, I am using dual monitor and when I customize x window so that it appear on the both the screen, the fonts are very big which is kind of weird(may be bcoz now I have a bigger work area), so how do I reduce the FONT SIZE in the X Windows? Thanks Trescot On 2006-12-18, trescot@gmail.com <trescot@gmail.com> wrote: > hi > > I am new to the X windows. I am using exceed. My question is, I am > using dual monitor and when I customize x window so that it appear on > the both the screen, the font...

correct "sizing" of Helvetica font, relative to various times-new-roman fonts, to have both fonts have the same x-height
Greetings! I hope the following isn't an faq (at least, it doesn't seem to be in the UK TUG FAQ). Basically, my question comes up because I'm involved in a project that requires the use of "Times New Roman" (hereafter, TNR) as the main text font and "Helvetica" as the sans-serif font. I use both TexLive 2010 and MikTeX 2.9 on PCs and TexLive/MacTeX 2010 on an iMac running Snow Leopard 10.6.5. As is well known, Helvetica and TNR differ considerably in their x- heights (for a given font size of, say, 10pt or 12pt). In various packages. (The letters u,...

Windows\Fonts folder bulging with OpenType fonts
I am trying to get my font management under control using Font Navigator. I've accumulated nearly 5000 fonts in folders on my computer. (A new Pentium 2.4 with 1GB RAM and Windows 2000 Pro - primarily using CorelDraw, PhotoShop and Word - if any of that matters.) Having read the tutorial The Last Word in Font Management (www.unleash.com/articles/fonts/fontmanage.html) and the help files on Font Navigator, I decided to clear out the Windows\Fonts folder as described. However there are over 180 OpenType fonts in the folder (which the tutorial suggests leaving alone). I understand that Font...

Fonts and/or Font Book
Is there a way to "resolve duplicates" on a machine wide or disk wide or even folder basis rather than on a particular font folder one? -- dorayme In article <doraymeRidThis-9B2294.10351702052007@news-vip.optusnet.com.au>, dorayme <doraymeRidThis@optusnet.com.au> wrote: > Is there a way to "resolve duplicates" on a machine wide or disk > wide or even folder basis rather than on a particular font folder > one? FontDoctor X -- I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end. - Margaret Thatcher In article <01052007194430...

Font and Font CE
In many programs, installed fonts are appearing twice in the font menu, once as "font" and once as "font CE". What's the story behind this? (OS 10.2.8) Stefan In article <bp8jas$300$1@newshispeed.ch>, Stefan <stefan@mus._INVALID_.ch> wrote: > In many programs, installed fonts are appearing twice in the font menu, > once as "font" and once as "font CE". What's the story behind this? (OS > 10.2.8) You've enabled something about Central European input (perhaps a Polish or Estonian keyboard). The CE fonts are the o...

Fonts NOT a X-Windows problem
The question is this: Recently I changed the Monitor for my PC from 17 to 19. Now the fonts in the bash (SHELL) are very big, in fact too big, where can I set it to a smaller size? Thanks :-) Dragomir Kollaric -- LAWYER: Before you signed the death certificate, had you taken the pulse? PATHOLOGIST: No. LAWYER: Did you check for breathing? PATHOLOGIST: No LAWYER: So, when you signed the death certificate you weren't sure that he was dead, were you? PATHOLOGIST: Well, let me put it this way. The man's brain was sitting in a jar on my desk. But I guess it is p...

OS X system fonts not showing up in Font Book -- why?
I'm running OS X 10.4.2 and the following fonts in /System/Library/Fonts fail to show up in Font Book. Apple LiGothic Medium.dfont AquaKanaBold.otf AquaKanaRegular.otf HelveLTMM Helvetica LT MM Keyboard.dfont LastResort.dfont Times LT MM TimesLTMM All of the fonts located in /Library/Fonts (217 fonts) do show up in Font Book. Any idea why it is that Font Book doesn't "like" the fonts I've listed? -- James L. Ryan -- TaliesinSoft In article <0001HW.BF5B4517000560C0F0284550@news.supernews.com>, TaliesinSoft <taliesinsoft@mac.com> wrote: > I...

(Windows) Fonts, Font Conversion XeTex/pdfLaTeX/|Microtype
I'm using XeTex in order to be able to use installed fonts without conversion. However, microtype doesn't work with XeTeX. Having just completed Week 2 of working with *TeX could someone explain step-by- step how fonts might be "converted" for use so that I could go without XeTeX so that I could use Microtype? [I'm using MiKTeK 2.7 on Windows Vista] Thanks Julian I-Do-Stuff <julianidostuff@gmail.com> writes: > I'm using XeTex in order to be able to use installed fonts without > conversion. However, microtype doesn't work with XeTeX. Having just >...

Web resources about - What are nil2 fonts and cursor fonts - comp.windows.x

Cursor (computers) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In most command-line interfaces or text editors , the text cursor or caret navigation , is an underscore , a solid rectangle, or a vertical line, ...

iPad Tip : the cursor - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Like the iPhone, tap on the screen for the cursor to move to that spot. Fine-tune by holding your finger on the cursor, waiting for the magnifying ...

Curse of the cursor: US and Israel credited with shooting Iran down in Flame
Curse of the cursor: US and Israel credited with shooting Iran down in Flame

Setting cursor on address line
Community Platform of DuckDuckGo - Translate DuckDuckGo, use our XMPP or make your own user page!

This Clever Amnesty Campaign Imprisons Your Cursor Within a Banner Ad - Adweek
Sometimes an ad idea just doesn't get the reach it deserves, and this is certainly one of those times.

Video: Kitten meets cursor
Your moment of zen, courtesy of AMERICAblog reader Marianne and her kitten.

Jailbreak Only: SwipeShiftCaret – Swipe To Move Your Cursor A Single Space
A jailbreak tweak called SwipeShiftCaret allows jailbreakers to move their cursor a single space, either left or right, by simply swiping at ...

MacBook, MacBook Pro: Cursor reacts unexpectedly
Does the cursor on your Mac notebook move while you're typing? Do you notice that sometimes the cursor arrow doesn't appear when you use the ...

Apple awarded dynamic 'hybrid cursor' utility patent
The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office on Tuesday granted Apple a utility patent for the dynamically changing mouse cursor seen in previous Mac ...

Google, Aalto University, And Cursor To Focus on South-Eastern Finland
... create quite the startup scene in the suburbs of Helsinki, and now the two organizations are working with financial support of Google and Cursor ...