solidworks limit mates

Having trouble with limit mates in 2014.  Imagine a set of railroad tracks
and a rail car.  There are stops at each end of the tracks that limit the
motion of the rail car.  My initial thought was that I could put a limit
mate in from BOTH stops, with zero as the minimum and an excessively large
value as the upper limit.  It SEEMED that this would limit car motion
between the stops but give me the freedom to change lengths, etc. without
losing my mate functionality.  Didn't seem to work so I got around it by
putting in a single mate with the actual values.

Now, design parameters have changed.  There are now two pair of rails.
One pair is fixed, but the other pair is on rollers.  Goal is to push
rails together until they touch then roll the car from one pair to the
other.  Once done, need to back the rolling pair of rails out (so a door
can close.)  Net result is that the distance between stops is variable.
Is there a way to set this mate up?

--
posted from
http://www.polytechforum.com/solidworks/solidworks-limit-mates-72332-.htm

0
Pual
7/9/2014 2:18:04 AM
comp.cad.solidworks 14446 articles. 2 followers. Post Follow

replying to Pual, Pual wrote:
> Pual wrote:
>
> Having trouble with limit mates in 2014.  Imagine a set of railroad tracks
and a
> rail car.  There are stops at each end of the tracks that limit the motion
of
> the rail car.  My initial thought was that I could put a limit mate in from
BOTH
> stops, with zero as the minimum and an excessively large value as the upper
> limit.  It SEEMED that this would limit car motion between the stops but
give me
> the freedom to change lengths, etc. without losing my mate functionality.
> Didn't seem to work so I got around it by putting in a single mate with the
> actual values.
> Now, design parameters have changed.  There are now two pair of rails.  One
pair
> is fixed, but the other pair is on rollers.  Goal is to push rails together
> until they touch then roll the car from one pair to the other.  Once done,
need
> to back the rolling pair of rails out (so a door can close.)  Net result is
that
> the distance between stops is variable.  Is there a way to set this mate
up?

Extra information:  After posting yesterday, created a simple assembly
with 3 cubic parts.  Used limit mates as described initially (2 mates,
high end excessively high.) Worked fine.  Tried again with my actual
assembly.  Still not right.  Differences are 1) mate is between a cubic
block and a wheel OD (basically a tangent mate) and 2) The complexity/size
of the assembly.

Appears to work at first -- parts move as expected to on end of the limit,
but when I try to move parts back, they go so far and freeze.  Solidworks
doesn't freeze, the components freeze and are no longer moveable.