Newbie - connect to db2 on linux from apache-php on linux

I am new to using the net to access a database as well as php, so
details (or a reference containing them) would be very helpful. I have
made my living for the last 8 years doing DBA/applications where the
access was via telnet/ssh to the machine with the database on it, so I'm
fairly familiar with the database side.

I'm interested in two cases of the subject: with the apache-php on the
same machine as the db2 and also where the two servers are different. I
noted that there is a --with-db2 compile option, but the syntax suggests
it only works in the case where the db2 is local to the apache-php
server, but even that is just a SWAG on my part. It also appears that
one accesses db2 from php via the odbc library, (whether db2 is local or
remote) as opposed a distinct set of routines such as one uses for MySQL
  for instance. Is that a correct analysis?

0
Robert

"Robert Stearns" <rstearns1241@charter.net> wrote in message
> I am new to using the net to access a database as well as php, so
> details (or a reference containing them) would be very helpful. I have
> made my living for the last 8 years doing DBA/applications where the
> access was via telnet/ssh to the machine with the database on it, so I'm
> fairly familiar with the database side.
>
> I'm interested in two cases of the subject: with the apache-php on the
> same machine as the db2 and also where the two servers are different. I
> noted that there is a --with-db2 compile option, but the syntax suggests
> it only works in the case where the db2 is local to the apache-php
> server, but even that is just a SWAG on my part. It also appears that
> one accesses db2 from php via the odbc library, (whether db2 is local or
> remote) as opposed a distinct set of routines such as one uses for MySQL
>   for instance. Is that a correct analysis?

That is correct. The ---with-db2 option allows PHP to connect to both local
and remote databases. Of course, in the case of remote databases,  you will
need DB2 client installed locally.

0
Bob
2/15/2004 6:04:23 PM
Hi Robert,

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 00:41:42 -0500, Robert Stearns <rstearns1241@charter.net> wrote:

> I am new to using the net to access a database as well as php, so details (or a reference containing them) would be very helpful. I have made my living for the last 8 years doing DBA/applications where the access was via telnet/ssh to the machine with the database on it, so I'm fairly familiar with the database side.

You can find an article on how to set up Apache with SSL, PHP and DB2 on the following site

http://www.evermeet.cx/db2issues/show.php?ts=2003-10-21%2022:28:46.276772

A pdf doc is available there aswell.

> I'm interested in two cases of the subject: with the apache-php on the same machine as the db2 and also where the two servers are different. I noted that there is a --with-db2 compile option, but the syntax suggests it only works in the case where the db2 is local to the apache-php server, but even that is just a SWAG on my part. It also appears that one accesses db2 from php via the odbc library, (whether db2 is local or remote) as opposed a distinct set of routines such as one uses for MySQL   for instance. Is that a correct analysis?

Yes, the unified ODBC functions are used to access DB2, but the calls are DB2 CLI calls and not ODBC calls.

--
Helmut K. C. Tessarek
0