  Sorry I am not an informix dba, and I was faced to copy a
sub-database(sorry I don't know the clear name of such concept, as
informix is like sql-server, which used multiple database) from one
informix database system to another informix database.
   I know in oracle, we can use transportable tablespace, copy the
datafile and transport the metadata, and do something else. How can I
do it in informix then? Is there document which talk about the detail
step?

Thanks
0
zhuchao
10/27/2004 1:22:21 PM
comp.databases.informix 16081 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

It would really help if you knew the versions of the Informix databases.

Assuming Informix IDS 7.x or IDS 9.x
If the two systems are binary compatible the fastest method is to use
onunload/onload. If the systems are not binary compatible the easiest
way is to use dbexport/dbimport.

Everything is well documented in the manual "IBM Informix Migration
Guide". This manual covers all Informix databases from Standard Engine
and Online to IDS and XPS. See http://www.ibm.com/informix/pubs

zhu chao wrote:
> Hi,
>   Sorry I am not an informix dba, and I was faced to copy a
> sub-database(sorry I don't know the clear name of such concept, as
> informix is like sql-server, which used multiple database) from one
> informix database system to another informix database.
>    I know in oracle, we can use transportable tablespace, copy the
> datafile and transport the metadata, and do something else. How can I
> do it in informix then? Is there document which talk about the detail
> step?
>
> Thanks
0
Claus
10/29/2004 7:57:06 AM
On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 09:57:06 +0200, Claus Samuelsen
<csa@eye-bee-em.com> wrote:

>It would really help if you knew the versions of the Informix databases.
>
>Assuming Informix IDS 7.x or IDS 9.x
>If the two systems are binary compatible the fastest method is to use
>onunload/onload. If the systems are not binary compatible the easiest
>way is to use dbexport/dbimport.

Don't forget HPL.

>Everything is well documented in the manual "IBM Informix Migration
>Guide". This manual covers all Informix databases from Standard Engine
>and Online to IDS and XPS. See http://www.ibm.com/informix/pubs
>

>zhu chao wrote:
>> Hi,
>>   Sorry I am not an informix dba, and I was faced to copy a
>> sub-database(sorry I don't know the clear name of such concept, as
>> informix is like sql-server, which used multiple database) from one
>> informix database system to another informix database.
>>    I know in oracle, we can use transportable tablespace, copy the
>> datafile and transport the metadata, and do something else. How can I
>> do it in informix then? Is there document which talk about the detail
>> step?
>>
>> Thanks

0
John