Informix Perl DBI/ESQL/Online problem

I am trying to install the Informix DBI drivers for Perl onto our AIX
4.3.3 machine where we are running a very old Informix OnLine 5.10.UC1.

I have downloaded the DBD-Informix-2005.01 package and it requires
ESQL/C, which it suggests can be sourced as part of the Informix Client
SDK (Version 2.81) which I have installed.

The problem is, I can't get the ESQL/C to make a successful connection
into the Informix databases. It keeps telling me I do not have
permission which suggests a missing hosts.equiv entry, although I do
have every name I can think of in here. Both the client and server are
the same machine, so I would have hoped it was going to be straight
forward.

I'm left wondering if there is just version incompatibility, as one of
the README files for the SDK says that the lowest tested Informix
version is "Informix Dynamic Server 5.20.XX".

The sqlhosts entry we are trying is :

labserver       onsoctcp        labserver       sqlexec

The hosts.equiv entries are :

labserver
labserver.medlab.co.nz
medlabh
medlabh.medlab.co.nz
localhost
localhost.medlab.co.nz

Each of these machine names exist in our hosts file.

Any help anyone can offer would be appreciated.

Stu

0
Stewart
5/5/2005 5:26:47 AM
comp.databases.informix 16081 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Stewart Hague wrote:
> I am trying to install the Informix DBI drivers for Perl onto our AIX
> 4.3.3 machine where we are running a very old Informix OnLine 5.10.UC1.
>
> I have downloaded the DBD-Informix-2005.01 package and it requires
> ESQL/C, which it suggests can be sourced as part of the Informix Client
> SDK (Version 2.81) which I have installed.

For most people, that's the best choice.  If you have OnLine 5.x, you
might be better off with ESQL/C 5.x, where x should be pretty much the
same version in both OnLine and ESQL/C.  However, you should be able to
get CSDK 2.81 (ESQL/C 9.53) to connect too.

> The problem is, I can't get the ESQL/C to make a successful connection
> into the Informix databases. It keeps telling me I do not have
> permission which suggests a missing hosts.equiv entry, although I do
> have every name I can think of in here. Both the client and server are
> the same machine, so I would have hoped it was going to be straight
> forward.
>
> I'm left wondering if there is just version incompatibility, as one of
> the README files for the SDK says that the lowest tested Informix
> version is "Informix Dynamic Server 5.20.XX".
>
> The sqlhosts entry we are trying is :
>
> labserver       onsoctcp        labserver       sqlexec

Have you run the OnLine sqlexecd?  Indeed, with OnLine 5.10, do you have
I-Net installed - it was an optional extra in 5.10 though it is standard
in 5.20 (and 6.00 and later servers, which is why it was finally made
standard in 5.20).

Absent that, you need to use a different, local connection - possibly
olipcpip, possibly seipcpip, possibly something else.  And, if you're
using the ipcpip notation, the 'service' needs to be sqlturbo - the name
of the program in $INFORMIXDIR/lib to be run as the database server.

> The hosts.equiv entries are :
>
> labserver
> labserver.medlab.co.nz
> medlabh
> medlabh.medlab.co.nz
> localhost
> localhost.medlab.co.nz
>
> Each of these machine names exist in our hosts file.
>
> Any help anyone can offer would be appreciated.

Sorry this got lost - it helps to include DBD::Informix in the subject.

Email: jleffler@earthlink.net, jleffler@us.ibm.com
Jonathan
5/12/2005 4:54:32 AM
Thanks for getting back to me about this.

We do have I-Net installed and are running sqlexecd. We have several
users who use ODBC connections into the database concerned, and that
all works fine.

As per your suggestion, I have tried "labserver olipcpip labserver
sqlturbo" as the sqlhosts entry, and this changes my error to "-25591 :
Transport control received an invalid connection address."

Any other suggestions ?

Thanks.

0
Stewart