RE: IBM URLs (http://www.ibm.com/ vs.

Martin Fuerderer wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
>   one general thing to note when quoting IBM URLs like the following:
>
>   > Check out http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data/informix/ids/support/
>                         ^^^^
>   please leave out the "-###" part of the URL and instead
>   quote it like this:
>
>     http://www.ibm.com/software/data/informix/ids/support/
>
>   The "-###" means that the page is provided by a particular host,
>   to which an original HTTP request without such a "-###" has
>   been routed automatically.

Double Echo responded:
> This is not something the user should ever have to worry about,
> and is more a problem with the web server configuration.

I have to agree that having users modify the URL is a bit much, especially since I am prone to book marking pages that I use on a regular basis, and am not prone to go in and determine what edits I need to make to the URL in my bookmarks.

Shirley, the world's largest computer company can handle a simple thing like URL masking.  If not, I fear they are going to just have to deal with the spike of IIUG users flooding a particular host.

Sincerely,

Christopher Coleman

Steering Committee President
Kansas City Informix Users Group
www.iiug.org/kciug

Database Analyst
Pharmacy Division
Mediware Information Systems, Inc.
913/307-1073
sending to informix-list
0
Christopher
12/13/2005 4:23:22 PM
comp.databases.informix 16081 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow