Re: MS Access 2003: Linked Tables

Dear Informixers,

a while ago I posted a question about a problem linking IDS 7.31UD8
tables into MS Access 2003 using the Informix ODBC driver from
I-Connect 2.81TC3.

This driver is in the file "iclit09b.dll" in the INFORMIXDIR\bin
directory and has version # 3.82.0.11811. In the meantime, I found
that the ODBC driver from the previous Connect version 2.81TC2 works;
it has version # 3.82.0.11600. Just copying the older dll over the
newer one did the job.

I still wonder why IBM/Informix cannot get their act together and
supply ODBC drivers that just work. From sporadic postings in this
group, I gather that even the ODBC driver from the newest 2.90
program suite still has problems, especially with Access. However,
from the low number of postings about this topic, I assume
that not many peoply bother using Informix's driver...

Regards, Richard

0
Richard
7/26/2005 10:18:32 AM
comp.databases.informix 16081 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Richard Spitz wrote:

> I still wonder why IBM/Informix cannot get their act together and
> supply ODBC drivers that just work. From sporadic postings in this
> group, I gather that even the ODBC driver from the newest 2.90
> program suite still has problems, especially with Access. However,
> from the low number of postings about this topic, I assume
> that not many peoply bother using Informix's driver...

I don't use the ODBC drivers with Access so can't comment on your
original problem. I somewhat agree with the sentiment about CSDK. We
have a serious problem with updating blob values through OLE DB where
the driver leaks memory very quickly and the executable performing the
operation can grow to hundreds of megabytes within seconds. It was
confirmed as a bug in 2.81 when we had direct access to IBM Technical
Support. It's still a problem in 2.90.TC1 and we are trying to get
OpenPSL to exert what pressure they can on IBM to fix it. Whether our
experience is typical or not I don't know.

Ben.
0
Ben
7/26/2005 11:30:58 AM
ben, do you have the bug number?

0
scottishpoet
7/26/2005 12:50:14 PM
There was a CSDK problem related to a memory leak.This is bug 169500.

This problem should be resolved if you run the coledb.sql script.

Do you know if you have run this script?

0
scottishpoet
7/26/2005 3:37:29 PM
scottishpoet wrote:
> There was a CSDK problem related to a memory leak.This is bug 169500.
>
> This problem should be resolved if you run the coledb.sql script.
>
> Do you know if you have run this script?

Thank you for this. I will try and get back to you. We only have an
OpenPSL case number now and not an IBM case number unfortunately so I
can't confirm that this is the same issue.

Ben.
0
Ben
7/27/2005 7:11:02 AM
I can now confirm that running the coledbp.sql against sysmaster has
fixed our problem and our application using CSDK no longer leaks memory.
For the benefit of anyone else, the coledbp.sql script is distributed
with Client SDK for Windows (I am using 2.90.TC1) and lives in the etc
subdirectory. It seems from our point of view that it would be a great
idea to create the tables in the coledbp.sql script in the sysmaster
database shipped with IDS. Many thanks for this, it solves a lot of
issues for us.

Ben.
0
Ben
7/27/2005 9:01:02 AM
Glad I could help.

0
scottishpoet
7/27/2005 9:24:47 AM
"scottishpoet" <dryburghj@yahoo.com> schrieb:

>There was a CSDK problem related to a memory leak.This is bug 169500.
>
>This problem should be resolved if you run the coledb.sql script.

Is it possible to use the OLE DB driver without first having run this script?
I seem to remember getting error messages to that effect, but it has been
a while.

Regards, Richard
0
Richard
7/27/2005 9:56:49 AM
Richard Spitz wrote:

> Is it possible to use the OLE DB driver without first having run this script?
> I seem to remember getting error messages to that effect, but it has been
> a while.

Well we've been using it for years...

Ben.
0
Ben
7/27/2005 11:41:19 AM
Richard Spitz <Richard.Spitz@med.uni-muenchen.de> schrieb:

>Is it possible to use the OLE DB driver without first having run this script?
>I seem to remember getting error messages to that effect, but it has been
>a while.

Just found out that it is indeed possible to use OLE DB without having run
the script against sysmaster. Bummer!

There are several OLEDB-related scripts that come with CSDK. One to create
OLEDB support (coledbp.sql), one to remove it (doledbp.sql) and two to
update the supported versions: uoledbp2021.sql and uoledbp2125.sql. The
manual only mentions the former two but not the latter, and the instructions
for upgrading from previous versions say to first run the remove script and
then the create script. So what are the latter two for?

Does installation of OLEDB support through the script mentioned above only
affect native OLEDB access to the database, or could the Informix ODBC driver
also be affected?

Regards, Richard
0
Richard
7/27/2005 12:32:49 PM
You can run it however the manual does say :

"After installation, you must run the script coledbp.sql on the
Informix server against the sysmaster database as user informix. IBM
Informix OLE DB Provider requires the stored procedures added to the
server by the coledbp.sql script. The script is located in the
INFORMIXDIR\etc directory."

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/ids9help/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.oledb.doc/oledbmst29.htm

0
scottishpoet