Access 2003 database will not open using Access 2002

Hi everyone.

I am trying to open a database which works fine using Access 2003, but when
trying to open it on another PC that has Access 2002 I get the following
error

"This database is unrecognised file format, it may have been created with a
later version of Access, upgrade to a later version..."

Could anyone please help to resolve this issue.

Many thanks.

Joe.

0
bugs0071 (15)

Use Access 2003 to decompile the database.

To decompile, create a copy, and enter something like this at the command
prompt while Access is not running. It is all one line, and include the
quotes:
    "c:\Program Files\Microsoft office\office\msaccess.exe" /decompile
        "c:\MyPath\MyDatabase.mdb"

Then compact the database to get rid of this junk:
    Tools | Database Utilities | Compact/Repair

Although Access 2002 and 2003 share the same file format, each version of
Access creates a different binary for the compiled code. What it's supposed
to do it automatically discard the 2003 binary when you open the database in
A2002, and create the new binary on the fly. In practice, this doesn't
always work. The decompile explicitly discarding the binary, which usually
solves the problem.

This issue is common enough that IMHO, it is always worth decompiling when
switching version, especially when reverting to an earlier version.

"Bugs" <bugs007@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> Hi everyone.
>
> I am trying to open a database which works fine using Access 2003, but
> when trying to open it on another PC that has Access 2002 I get the
> following error
>
> "This database is unrecognised file format, it may have been created with
> a later version of Access, upgrade to a later version..."

0
AllenBrowne (3681)
12/1/2006 5:57:16 AM
Hi Allen

Thank you so much for that. Extremely appreciated.

I have performed the decompile using Access 2003 on the mdb file. I tried to
do it on the mde and it didnt work. I assume decompile is only for mdbs.

Thanks again.

Cheers.

Joe.

"Allen Browne" <AllenBrowne@SeeSig.invalid> wrote in message
> Use Access 2003 to decompile the database.
>
> To decompile, create a copy, and enter something like this at the command
> prompt while Access is not running. It is all one line, and include the
> quotes:
>    "c:\Program Files\Microsoft office\office\msaccess.exe" /decompile
>        "c:\MyPath\MyDatabase.mdb"
>
> Then compact the database to get rid of this junk:
>    Tools | Database Utilities | Compact/Repair
>
> Although Access 2002 and 2003 share the same file format, each version of
> Access creates a different binary for the compiled code. What it's
> supposed to do it automatically discard the 2003 binary when you open the
> database in A2002, and create the new binary on the fly. In practice, this
> doesn't always work. The decompile explicitly discarding the binary, which
> usually solves the problem.
>
> This issue is common enough that IMHO, it is always worth decompiling when
> switching version, especially when reverting to an earlier version.
>
> --
> Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia
>
> "Bugs" <bugs007@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
>> Hi everyone.
>>
>> I am trying to open a database which works fine using Access 2003, but
>> when trying to open it on another PC that has Access 2002 I get the
>> following error
>>
>> "This database is unrecognised file format, it may have been created with
>> a later version of Access, upgrade to a later version..."

0
bugs0071 (15)
12/1/2006 11:27:30 AM
The MDE contains *only* the compiled binary.
Therefore it cannot be decompiled.

There's no way that the MDE created using A2003 will work in A2002.
However, the MDE created in A2002 can be used in A2003.

Each version of Access can read the binary from the versions before, but not
from later versions.

> Hi Allen
>
> Thank you so much for that. Extremely appreciated.
>
> I have performed the decompile using Access 2003 on the mdb file. I tried
> to do it on the mde and it didnt work. I assume decompile is only for
> mdbs.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Cheers.
>
> Joe.
>

> "Allen Browne" <AllenBrowne@SeeSig.invalid> wrote in message
>> Use Access 2003 to decompile the database.
>>
>> To decompile, create a copy, and enter something like this at the command
>> prompt while Access is not running. It is all one line, and include the
>> quotes:
>>    "c:\Program Files\Microsoft office\office\msaccess.exe" /decompile
>>        "c:\MyPath\MyDatabase.mdb"
>>
>> Then compact the database to get rid of this junk:
>>    Tools | Database Utilities | Compact/Repair
>>
>> Although Access 2002 and 2003 share the same file format, each version of
>> Access creates a different binary for the compiled code. What it's
>> supposed to do it automatically discard the 2003 binary when you open the
>> database in A2002, and create the new binary on the fly. In practice,
>> this doesn't always work. The decompile explicitly discarding the binary,
>> which usually solves the problem.
>>
>> This issue is common enough that IMHO, it is always worth decompiling
>> when switching version, especially when reverting to an earlier version.
>>

>> "Bugs" <bugs007@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
>>> Hi everyone.
>>>
>>> I am trying to open a database which works fine using Access 2003, but
>>> when trying to open it on another PC that has Access 2002 I get the
>>> following error
>>>
>>> "This database is unrecognised file format, it may have been created
>>> with a later version of Access, upgrade to a later version..."

0
AllenBrowne (3681)
12/1/2006 11:39:55 AM
Thanks again Allen for helping sort through it all.