Can I update a MS Access 2002 database with Visual Basic .net 2003 Standard Editon?

I am considering purchasing Visual Basic .net 2003 Standard Editon to
do some development work with Web Forms and I need to know whether
this edit will allow me to update an Access database (mdb) file. I
already have a database which is updated through an Access front-end,
I want to update the database through web forms, is this possible?
what are the benefits of going for the Professional Verion of Visual
Studio instead?

Cheers,

In VB.Net you'd use the ADO.Net objects to update the database.

Visual Studio.Net is just another Rapid Application Development (RAD)
tool.  It has the added ability of being the development platform for
VB.NET, C#.NET, C++.NET, Java.NET.  It can also easily create XML
objects/dependencies and set up web pages to use ASP.NET.  And, other
stuff I've forgotten about.

--
MGFoster:::mgf00 <at> earthlink <decimal-point> net
Oakland, CA (USA)

pisaac wrote:

> I am considering purchasing Visual Basic .net 2003 Standard Editon to
> do some development work with Web Forms and I need to know whether
> this edit will allow me to update an Access database (mdb) file. I
> already have a database which is updated through an Access front-end,
> I want to update the database through web forms, is this possible?
> what are the benefits of going for the Professional Verion of Visual
> Studio instead?

0
me2968 (1474)
9/22/2004 7:10:11 PM
You'd want to go to the description of what you get with VB.NET Standard to
see if it comes with the necessary support for dealing with Access/Jet
databases.

I've never used VB.NET Standard. I suspect most developers here who have
used .NET have used Visual Studio.NET, which certainly does have the
capability. Whether the "standard" edition does, I couldn't say.

It is just a matter of what Microsoft has packaged in that edition and what
is licensed when you purchase it.

  Larry Linson
  Microsoft Access MVP

"pisaac" <robraizada@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> I am considering purchasing Visual Basic .net 2003 Standard Editon to
> do some development work with Web Forms and I need to know whether
> this edit will allow me to update an Access database (mdb) file. I
> already have a database which is updated through an Access front-end,
> I want to update the database through web forms, is this possible?
> what are the benefits of going for the Professional Verion of Visual
> Studio instead?
>
> Cheers,

0
bouncer (4168)