Error publishing to Sharepoint Live service

Trying to publish an acces database to Access services using the free
Microsoft Sharepoint live services.  I ran the compatibility checker.
No errors.  It stated it is compatible.  Entered server URL of
workspace.office.live.com

And my site name:  bobalston9

I clicked on Publish to access services.  It went through some checking
process then failed with this message:

"an error occurred while installing the Access Services database"

Ideas?

bob
0
Bob

First of all, you can't use office live, you MUST use office live small
business.

Next, you don't enter the office live url, you enter the base site name that
you create on your SharePoint site. So, you MUST create a site (workspace)
for where you are going to publish to (and, in fact, just creating a
workspace will not work, you have to create an application workspace).

Furthermore, you can't publish a non web database (please do read my
response to your posts, it save you a lot of pain if you read my responses
to your questions).

How, having said the above, if you do create a site and attempt to publish,
you WILL get an message that the site you are publishing to does not support
"access services". This makes sense, since your running a product that not
likely to be out for a good half year from now. So, right now office live
small business does not have 2010 support yet, and I would even suspect it
might not until some time after office 2010 is released. And, again, I
stress, NOT office live, as it DOES NOT have support for access, you MUST
USE office live small business.

So, you not going to be able to publish an 2010 application to the office
live site.
and MORE important, you NEVER be able to do this with a non web application.
so, if you attempting to publish a application that was never created as web
database, then you on even a larger wild goose chase. (it will not work).

And, right now if you do create a web based application, you will STILL NOT
be able to publish it to the office live small business site since it does
not have 2010 parts yet (by the way, those parts are called "access
services")

However, you MOST certainly can use the options in ms-access to export your
tables up to your SharePoint site. You can do this two ways:

1) use the upsizing options. This will move your data, and then create
linked tables to your data on the site.

2) use the export data option. This option is great if you need to upload a
table to SharePoint, but do NOT want to link the table. Note that after you
upload a table using this option, you can then use the external data tab,
and LINK to the table you just uploaded. If you export, and then link the
table, then you doing the equivalent of option 1 (it does the two steps for
you).

So, for above upsizing options, use the database tools tab. This option will
move ALL tables, link to SharePoint, and then create a backup option.

If you prefer to do the upsize manually, or just want one table to be moved
up (above scenario #2 in above), then simple use the external data tab.

> And my site name:  bobalston9

You MUST create a base site, and it must be an application workspace. Simply
creating a workspace will NOT work. How to do this is outlined here:

http://www.utteraccess.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=97&Number=1903007&Zf=&Zw=&Zg=0&Zl=a&Main=1886252&Search=true&where=&Zu=120391&Zd=l&Zn=&Zt=c2&Zs=&Zy=#Post1903007&Zp=

so, office live NEVER did work for access, you MUST USE Office Live Small
business, and you MUST create (add) an application site, not a regular site.

And, since we a good half year away, you don't have the 2010 features in
office list small business SharePoint services. That means  you not be able
to use new features such as enforced relationships. (nor can forms/reports
etc. be published until SharePoint 2010 comes out)

If you looking to play with access web services right now, you have to
install SharePoint with access on a test computer (and it has to be running
an 64 bit verison of the operating system).
This is expalined here:

http://blogs.msdn.com/access/archive/2009/11/24/install-access-services-on-vista-or-windows-7-x64-os.aspx

--
Albert D. Kallal    (Access MVP)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

0
Albert
11/29/2009 2:20:16 AM

Albert D. Kallal wrote:
> [...]
> creating a workspace will NOT work. How to do this is outlined here:
>
> http://www.utteraccess.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=97&Number=1903007&Zf=&Zw=&Zg=0&Zl=a&Main=1886252&Search=true&where=&Zu=120391&Zd=l&Zn=&Zt=c2&Zs=&Zy=#Post1903007&Zp=
>

> so, office live NEVER did work for access, you MUST USE Office Live Small
> business, and you MUST create (add) an application site, not a regular site.
>
> And, since we a good half year away, you don't have the 2010 features in
> office list small business SharePoint services. That means  you not be able
> to use new features such as enforced relationships. (nor can forms/reports
> etc. be published until SharePoint 2010 comes out)
>
> If you looking to play with access web services right now, you have to
> install SharePoint with access on a test computer (and it has to be running
> an 64 bit verison of the operating system).

My apologies to Albert Kallal and others who have helped steer me right
in my quest to test out publishing an Access 2010 beta database to
Sharepoint 2010 beta.  My intent was to try out the capability of
Sharepoint 2010 beta to host the tables and leave the processing in
normal Access front end databases with VBA, normal forms, etc.
Unfortunately somewhere along the line I misunderstood the capabilities
of the existing FREE Office Live Small Business.  I had asssuuummmeed
that it did indeed have the sharepoint 2010 beta Access services
capabilities in it, since the author mentioned it quite a bit.  I did
not understand that he/they were trying to tell me about existing
Sharepoint 2007 features of storing access data on Sharepoint.  My whole
focus was on Access 2010 beta and the new Access services capabilities.

The above  quoted above, is what finally clicked on my light bulb!

Since then I have focused on finding a public source of Sharepoint 2010
beta.  I found one but they have discontinued their offering, likely
because Microsoft does not permit providers to use beta software for
commercial purposes.

I have asked Microsoft about providing Sharepoint 2010 beta, in a manner
similar to that of Office Small Business is now, perhaps to a more
limited group such as Microsoft Partners, so that the Access services
can be tried out.  I do not hold much hope for that being done with the
beta version but I am encouraged by responses that perhaps such is in
the plan once Sharepoint 2010 is fully released.

In the meantime, I have been focusing on installing Sharepoint 2010 beta
myself in a dual boot environment on my home work PC.  If anyone is
interested in my trials and tribulations of doing that, see another
thread that I recently updated.  Current status is that I have
Sharepoint 2010 beta installed and I think configured for a user
workspace.  I know that Access services is enabled for that workspace.
So now I need to install Office 2010 beta on that server (or on a vm of
Windows XP on the server) and try it out.

Regards,

bob alston
0
Bob