Invalid use of "." "!"

In writing a sql statement I get the error "invalid use of "." "!".........
this is apparently coming because the where clause of the sql statemt refers
to a combo box with sales persons names in it.  All the names are listed
first initial followed by a "." and last name.  I am assuming the error i am
getting is coming from the "." in the combo box.

How do I get around the invalid use of the "." ?

Thanks

Never mind..... didnt have enough quotation marks.