Linked Server from SQL-Server 2000 to Oracle 8.1.7

We have a linked server, which worked fine, but we have just changed
the collation sequence, in SQL-Server, from
SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS to Latin1_General_CI_AS.

Now trying to use the Linked server, we get the following message:
"Error 7399: OLE DB Provider 'MSDAORA' reported an error. The provider
did not give any information about the error. OLE DB error trace [OLE
DB provider 'MSDAORA' IDBInitialize::Initialize returned 0x80004005:
The provider did not give any information about the error]."

Ha anyone seen this before, because I am not sure why changing the
collation sequence, would affect the Linked Server
0
wotan_79 (5)

"wotan" <wotan_79@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> We have a linked server, which worked fine, but we have just changed
> the collation sequence, in SQL-Server, from
> SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS to Latin1_General_CI_AS.
>
> Now trying to use the Linked server, we get the following message:
> "Error 7399: OLE DB Provider 'MSDAORA' reported an error. The provider
> did not give any information about the error. OLE DB error trace [OLE
> DB provider 'MSDAORA' IDBInitialize::Initialize returned 0x80004005:
> The provider did not give any information about the error]."
>
> Ha anyone seen this before, because I am not sure why changing the
> collation sequence, would affect the Linked Server

I have no idea about the specific error, however this post may be useful
(note the links to KB articles at the bottom):

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=SCwAopMYDHA.2000%40cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl

Apart from that, the usual general comments apply - install the latest SQL
servicepack and MDAC version. It's not clear from your comments which
collation you changed - as far as I know, changing the default collation for
the instance requires you to reinstall completely or just rebuild master,
and that means it's very possible that other system-level configurations
were changed or lost.

Simon

0
sql (2120)
8/10/2004 4:42:17 PM
wotan_79@hotmail.com (wotan) wrote in message news:<e5fd30ef.0408100354.6e5ec7a0@posting.google.com>...
> We have a linked server, which worked fine, but we have just changed
> the collation sequence, in SQL-Server, from
> SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS to Latin1_General_CI_AS.
>
> Now trying to use the Linked server, we get the following message:
> "Error 7399: OLE DB Provider 'MSDAORA' reported an error. The provider
> did not give any information about the error. OLE DB error trace [OLE
> DB provider 'MSDAORA' IDBInitialize::Initialize returned 0x80004005:
> The provider did not give any information about the error]."
>
> Ha anyone seen this before, because I am not sure why changing the
> collation sequence, would affect the Linked Server

I suggest You check syscolumns for any columns with individually
defined collations. Eventually some columns have different collations,
so JOIN statements will fail.
 If there are any, You can change the collation via the "collationid".
To be able to update a system table, you have to use:

exec sp_reconfigure 'allow update','1'
reconfigure with override
[put your sql statement here]
exec sp_reconfigure 'allow update','0'
reconfigure with override
wotan wrote:
> We have a linked server, which worked fine, but we have just changed
> the collation sequence, in SQL-Server, from
> SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS to Latin1_General_CI_AS.
>
> Now trying to use the Linked server, we get the following message:
> "Error 7399: OLE DB Provider 'MSDAORA' reported an error. The provider
> did not give any information about the error. OLE DB error trace [OLE
> DB provider 'MSDAORA' IDBInitialize::Initialize returned 0x80004005:
> The provider did not give any information about the error]."
>
> Ha anyone seen this before, because I am not sure why changing the
> collation sequence, would affect the Linked Server

Not an Oracle error so look on the SQL Server side.
--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington

0