exp error : ORA-00942: table or view does not exist on tables with lowercase names

When trying to do and export from command line e.g.
exp userid=system@globaldb log=log.txt owner=rbs
We get the following error(s):

EXP-00008: ORACLE error 942 encountered
ORA-00942: table or view does not exist
EXP-00024: Export views not installed, please notify your DBA
EXP-00000: Export terminated unsuccessfully

We are running Oracle 9i on win2k server...
tables names were created in lowercase and this can not be avoided
because there is too much code to change in the application :(.

This is most frustrating because there is no other way to backup data
(apart from backup which requires OMS which we are having problems
with too)

We have tried a simple test on another machine create a table "test1"
export and import data and it works file. Is there something wrong
with the installation?
Or is Oracle a nice expensive tool that sits in the corner looks good
on paper and does nothing at all!

GX
0
mailme_gx
12/9/2003 11:01:05 AM
comp.databases.oracle.misc 8436 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

"GX" <mailme_gx@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> When trying to do and export from command line e.g.
> exp userid=system@globaldb log=log.txt owner=rbs
> We get the following error(s):
>
> EXP-00008: ORACLE error 942 encountered
> ORA-00942: table or view does not exist
> EXP-00024: Export views not installed, please notify your DBA
> EXP-00000: Export terminated unsuccessfully
>
> We are running Oracle 9i on win2k server...
> tables names were created in lowercase and this can not be avoided
> because there is too much code to change in the application :(.
>
> This is most frustrating because there is no other way to backup data
> (apart from backup which requires OMS which we are having problems
> with too)
>
> We have tried a simple test on another machine create a table "test1"
> export and import data and it works file. Is there something wrong
> with the installation?
> Or is Oracle a nice expensive tool that sits in the corner looks good
> on paper and does nothing at all!
>
> GX

You don't say what version of 9i you're running, but at a guess you may need
to run catexp.sql if your catalog views are not installed.

BTW, there are other backup strategies apart from export, you don't need a
OMS to backup the DB.

0
Chris
12/9/2003 1:28:55 PM
Have you enclosed the table names with "? Like this:

"mytable"

instead of

mytable

"Chris" <cs123._no_spam_@telstra.com> wrote in message

> "GX" <mailme_gx@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > When trying to do and export from command line e.g.
> > exp userid=system@globaldb log=log.txt owner=rbs
> > We get the following error(s):
> >
> > EXP-00008: ORACLE error 942 encountered
> > ORA-00942: table or view does not exist
> > EXP-00024: Export views not installed, please notify your DBA
> > EXP-00000: Export terminated unsuccessfully
> >
> > We are running Oracle 9i on win2k server...
> > tables names were created in lowercase and this can not be avoided
> > because there is too much code to change in the application :(.
> >
> > This is most frustrating because there is no other way to backup data
> > (apart from backup which requires OMS which we are having problems
> > with too)
> >
> > We have tried a simple test on another machine create a table "test1"
> > export and import data and it works file. Is there something wrong
> > with the installation?
> > Or is Oracle a nice expensive tool that sits in the corner looks good
> > on paper and does nothing at all!
> >
> > GX
>
> You don't say what version of 9i you're running, but at a guess you may
need
> to run catexp.sql if your catalog views are not installed.
>
> BTW, there are other backup strategies apart from export, you don't need a
> OMS to backup the DB.

0
Alan
12/9/2003 6:55:11 PM
"GX" <mailme_gx@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> When trying to do and export from command line e.g.
> exp userid=system@globaldb log=log.txt owner=rbs
> We get the following error(s):
>
> EXP-00008: ORACLE error 942 encountered
> ORA-00942: table or view does not exist
> EXP-00024: Export views not installed, please notify your DBA
> EXP-00000: Export terminated unsuccessfully
>
> We are running Oracle 9i on win2k server...
> tables names were created in lowercase and this can not be avoided
> because there is too much code to change in the application :(.
>
> This is most frustrating because there is no other way to backup data
> (apart from backup which requires OMS which we are having problems
> with too)
>
> We have tried a simple test on another machine create a table "test1"
> export and import data and it works file. Is there something wrong
> with the installation?
> Or is Oracle a nice expensive tool that sits in the corner looks good
> on paper and does nothing at all!
>
> GX
You cannot do it from the command line [as far as I know] but you can do it
using a PARFILE.  Inside the PARFILE you put an entry where the tablename is
quoted but you need to escape the quotes like this:

tables=\"abc\"

This works in 9.2 but I'm not sure about earlier versions of EXPort..

Cheers

0
Chris
12/9/2003 9:34:30 PM
"Chris O" <itoys1 -a t- optusnet -d o t- com -d o t- au> wrote in message
> "GX" <mailme_gx@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > When trying to do and export from command line e.g.
> > exp userid=system@globaldb log=log.txt owner=rbs
> > We get the following error(s):
> >
> > EXP-00008: ORACLE error 942 encountered
> > ORA-00942: table or view does not exist
> > EXP-00024: Export views not installed, please notify your DBA
> > EXP-00000: Export terminated unsuccessfully
> >
> > We are running Oracle 9i on win2k server...
> > tables names were created in lowercase and this can not be avoided
> > because there is too much code to change in the application :(.
> >
> > This is most frustrating because there is no other way to backup data
> > (apart from backup which requires OMS which we are having problems
> > with too)
> >
> > We have tried a simple test on another machine create a table "test1"
> > export and import data and it works file. Is there something wrong
> > with the installation?
> > Or is Oracle a nice expensive tool that sits in the corner looks good
> > on paper and does nothing at all!
> >
> > GX
> You cannot do it from the command line [as far as I know] but you can do
it
> using a PARFILE.  Inside the PARFILE you put an entry where the tablename
is
> quoted but you need to escape the quotes like this:
>
> tables=\"abc\"
>
> This works in 9.2 but I'm not sure about earlier versions of EXPort..
>
> Cheers

I should add that if you are using the interactive form of EXPort then you
simply quote the table names.  That is the back-slashes are not required.

Cheers

0
Chris
12/9/2003 9:48:33 PM
Thanx for the reply(s)

The version of oracle is 9.2 with Patch p3095277_9204_WINNT installed.

I am trying to do a full export not just specific tables as this is
what I will be using for distribution and need schema and other
objects..

Thanks for the advice of running 'catexp.sql'.. but I dont know if
this hepls at all?? now I get another error:
.. exporting cluster definitions
EXP-00056: ORACLE error 31600 encountered
ORA-31600: invalid input value EMIT_SCHEMA for parameter NAME in
function SET_TRANSFORM_PARAM
ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_SYS_ERROR", line 105
ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_METADATA_INT", line 3926
ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_METADATA_INT", line 4050
ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_METADATA", line 836
ORA-06512: at line 1
EXP-00000: Export terminated unsuccessfully

The only error 'catexp.sql' gave was:
> CREATE ROLE exp_full_database
            *
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-01921: role name 'EXP_FULL_DATABASE' conflicts with another user
or role name

but this is pretty strait forward...

Did I break it?

GX

"Chris O" <itoys1 -a t- optusnet -d o t- com -d o t- au> wrote in message news:<3fd64332$0$1025$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au>...
> "Chris O" <itoys1 -a t- optusnet -d o t- com -d o t- au> wrote in message
> > "GX" <mailme_gx@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > When trying to do and export from command line e.g.
> > > exp userid=system@globaldb log=log.txt owner=rbs
> > > We get the following error(s):
> > >
> > > EXP-00008: ORACLE error 942 encountered
> > > ORA-00942: table or view does not exist
> > > EXP-00024: Export views not installed, please notify your DBA
> > > EXP-00000: Export terminated unsuccessfully
> > >
> > > We are running Oracle 9i on win2k server...
> > > tables names were created in lowercase and this can not be avoided
> > > because there is too much code to change in the application :(.
> > >
> > > This is most frustrating because there is no other way to backup data
> > > (apart from backup which requires OMS which we are having problems
> > > with too)
> > >
> > > We have tried a simple test on another machine create a table "test1"
> > > export and import data and it works file. Is there something wrong
> > > with the installation?
> > > Or is Oracle a nice expensive tool that sits in the corner looks good
> > > on paper and does nothing at all!
> > >
> > > GX
> > You cannot do it from the command line [as far as I know] but you can do
>  it
> > using a PARFILE.  Inside the PARFILE you put an entry where the tablename
>  is
> > quoted but you need to escape the quotes like this:
> >
> > tables=\"abc\"
> >
> > This works in 9.2 but I'm not sure about earlier versions of EXPort..
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> I should add that if you are using the interactive form of EXPort then you
> simply quote the table names.  That is the back-slashes are not required.
>
> Cheers
0
mailme_gx
12/10/2003 11:07:24 AM
> Thanx for the reply(s)
>
> The version of oracle is 9.2 with Patch p3095277_9204_WINNT installed.
If you have upgraded the DB then you should have run catpatch.sql, which I
suspect you haven't.
If you created a DB after patching but used the preconfigured DB you'll be
in the same situation.

You'll have to shutdown the DB and startup migrate then run catpatch.sql.

0
Chris
12/10/2003 12:01:25 PM
Thank you Chriss

You were a great help.

I ran the catpatch.sql its seems to have got stuck in some sort of
loop because it took forever to run and the output seemd to have a
similar pattern. Eventaly after 2 hrs I gave up and aborted it.

Export works fine now

Regards
GX