Hello,

I need to copy a table from an 8i oracle database to a sqlserver 2000 database.

Is it possible to use the command "COPY FROM ... TO ..." ?
So,  what is the correct syntax ?

Thanks for your help

Cyril
0
jewelk
8/10/2004 2:15:16 PM
comp.databases.oracle.misc 8436 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

On 10 Aug 2004, jewelk@free.fr wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I need to copy a table from an 8i oracle database to a
> sqlserver 2000 database.

A few options exist.  If this is one-off, just use sqlldr to drop
the data to a file and then bcp to get it into SQLServer.

> Is it possible to use the command "COPY FROM ... TO ..." ?
> So,  what is the correct syntax ?

Well, I'm sure SQLServer has connectivity to Oracle?  If you want
to go this route, use that and do this from SQLServer.

--
Galen Boyer
0
On 10 Aug 2004 07:15:16 -0700, jewelk@free.fr (Cyril) wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I need to copy a table from an 8i oracle database to a sqlserver 2000 database.
>
>Is it possible to use the command "COPY FROM ... TO ..." ?
>So,  what is the correct syntax ?
>

>Thanks for your help
>
>Cyril

Read up on using the Heterogeneous Gateway to Sqlserver.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA
0
"Cyril" <jewelk@free.fr> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I need to copy a table from an 8i oracle database to a sqlserver 2000
database.

> Is it possible to use the command "COPY FROM ... TO ..." ?
> So,  what is the correct syntax ?

Do it from the sql server end using a graphical wizard (import data) and it
is tremendously easy.

I have a step by step on setting up generic connectivity on my site if you
wish to use sqlplus. For a one off job though I'd use sqlserver much much
easier.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA

Niall
8/10/2004 7:54:28 PM
"Niall Litchfield" <niall.litchfield@dial.pipex.com> wrote in message news:<411927ed$0$20257$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com>...
> "Cyril" <jewelk@free.fr> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > I need to copy a table from an 8i oracle database to a sqlserver 2000
>  database.
> >
> > Is it possible to use the command "COPY FROM ... TO ..." ?
> > So,  what is the correct syntax ?
>
> Do it from the sql server end using a graphical wizard (import data) and it
> is tremendously easy.
>
> I have a step by step on setting up generic connectivity on my site if you
> wish to use sqlplus. For a one off job though I'd use sqlserver much much
> easier.

Try unload Oracle tables into text flat file with WisdomForce
FastReader (www.wisdomforce.com). FastReader generates control files
for mssql loaders as well automatically.
0
john_miller_portland
8/28/2004 10:40:34 PM
jewelk@free.fr (Cyril) wrote in message news:<cd38c3d6.0408100615.6371b40e@posting.google.com>...
> Hello,
>
> I need to copy a table from an 8i oracle database to a sqlserver 2000 database.
>
> Is it possible to use the command "COPY FROM ... TO ..." ?
> So,  what is the correct syntax ?
>

> Thanks for your help
>
> Cyril

If your options include using 3rd-party tools, CampaignRunner can help
you here.  You can transfer data easily between  Oracle, SQL Server or
DB2.

Otherwise, the best option would be to extract the data from Oracle
into a delimited file, and then to use SQLServer's bcp tool to load it
into SQLServer.  The Oracle's documentation on sql*loader and Books
Online for SQLServer will provide the details on the commands that you
would need.

Good luck!
0
announce
8/30/2004 2:15:38 PM
I have done this several times in the past using SQL Server 2k and
Oracle 8i,9i.  The tool I used was Microsoft DTS, which is built into
the SQL server install.  It will allow you to choose a source and
destination data source, map columns and even transform data.

Jon
0
jonsantee