Can I use an O8 database as a transit database between a O9 and an O7 database?

Hi all,

We will gradually migrate our application data from a O7 database to a
new O9 database. The application data is also written to an O7
datawarehouse via a database link. In the intermediate period data has
to be written to the O7 datawarehouse db from the old O7 application
db and also from the new O9 database. I did a test to see if could do
an insert from the O9 database over a database link into the O7
datawarehouse database, but this is not supported. Then I did the
following:

- create a dblink in the O9 database to a O8 database
- create a dblink in the O8 database to the O7 database
- create a synonym in the O8 database to the desired table in the O7
database
- create a synonym in the O9 database to the synonym in the O8
database

Now in the O9 database I inserted a record into the synonym, which
indeed resulted in a record in the O7-table.

Would it be a sensible solution to use an O8 database as a transit
database in this way?

Jaap.

yes

"Jaap W. van Dijk" <j.w.vandijk.removethis@hetnet.nl> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> We will gradually migrate our application data from a O7 database to a
> new O9 database. The application data is also written to an O7
> datawarehouse via a database link. In the intermediate period data has
> to be written to the O7 datawarehouse db from the old O7 application
> db and also from the new O9 database. I did a test to see if could do
> an insert from the O9 database over a database link into the O7
> datawarehouse database, but this is not supported. Then I did the
> following:
>
> - create a dblink in the O9 database to a O8 database
> - create a dblink in the O8 database to the O7 database
> - create a synonym in the O8 database to the desired table in the O7
> database
> - create a synonym in the O9 database to the synonym in the O8
> database
>
> Now in the O9 database I inserted a record into the synonym, which
> indeed resulted in a record in the O7-table.
>
> Would it be a sensible solution to use an O8 database as a transit
> database in this way?
>
> Jaap.

0
messner1 (13)