Difference between "select_catalog_role" and "select any dictionary"

Dear ALL,

Does anyone tell me when to use "select_catalog_role" and when to use
"select any dictionary". I know that the "select_catalog_role" should
logout and login again to take effect and "select any dictionary"
does not. Any more major usage difference ?

Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards,
Kelvin
0
kamingbb (2)

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 19:10:24 -0800, Kelvin wrote:

> Dear ALL,
>
> Does anyone tell me when to use "select_catalog_role" and when to use
> "select any dictionary". I know that the "select_catalog_role" should
> logout and login again to take effect and "select any dictionary"
> does not. Any more major usage difference ?

Select any dictionary is a system privilege and select_catalog_role is
a role. That's it. You can use both as you see fit.

--
None of us is as dumb as all of us.
(http://www.despair.com/meetings.html)

0
mgogala1 (83)
1/14/2004 5:06:36 AM
Roles need relogin or explicit set role from a session to take affect
whereas the granting of privileges take immediate affect.
regards
Srivenu
0
srivenu (188)
1/14/2004 6:58:46 AM
"Kelvin" <kamingbb@yahoo.com> a �crit dans le message de
> Dear ALL,
>
> Does anyone tell me when to use "select_catalog_role" and when to use
> "select any dictionary". I know that the "select_catalog_role" should
> logout and login again to take effect and "select any dictionary"
> does not. Any more major usage difference ?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Kind Regards,
> Kelvin

select_catalog_role allows you to select on the catalog views (dba%, v$%...).
select any dictionary allows you to select the dictionary tables that is sys tables.
You can't select sys tables with only select_catalog_role role.

Regards
Michel Cadot

0
Michel