expdp is painfully slow

I am using Oracle 11.1.0.7.1 on HP UNIX 11.0. I ma using expdp and
find it extremely slow. However. Most of the waiting time is during
metadata (see below) where it waits for several hours. When it starts
exporting the rows, it progresses reasonably fast.
Processing object type DATABASE_EXPORT/SCHEMA/TABLE/INDEX/DOMAIN_INDEX/
I have seen some threads on Metalink as well as on  Google. All otf
tem point to these problems in Oracle 10.2 expdp version, but I see
same problem in Oracle 11.1.0.7.1 as well. A suggestion  to exclude
STAITISTICS has not helped me:
expdp system/password  directory=expdp_dir dumpfile=$BackupExportFile
logfile=$TLOGFILE \
full=Y compression=all  exclude=STATISTICS TRACE=480300
I have turned on expdp tracing and I see statements like following for
various indexes and do not give me any clue to speed things up.
KUPW:14:48:25.668: 1: Base Process info: 6122 and processing status: C
and processing state: R
KUPW:14:48:25.668: 1: new state: R
KUPW:14:48:25.668: 1: new status: C
KUPW:14:48:25.668: 1: In procedure BUILD_SUBNAME_LIST with
INDEX:MAXDEMO71.CONTRACT_NDX2
KUPW:14:48:25.669: 1: In function NEXT_PO_NUMBER
KUPW:14:48:25.669: 1: FORALL called.
KUPW:14:48:25.676: 1: FORALL returned.
KUPW:14:48:25.678: 1: DBMS_LOB.TRIM called. v_md_xml_clob
KUPW:14:48:25.679: 1: DBMS_LOB.TRIM returned.
KUPW:14:48:25.679: 1: DBMS_METADATA.FETCH_XML_CLOB called. Handle:
200001

Is ether anyway to speed expdp.
0
zigzagdna

Try if adding this parameter helps: VERSION=10.2.0.2 (you may need to remove compression parameter since it's not supported in 10.2).
You can also try excluding index statistics exclude=index_statistics
1
javor
4/4/2010 7:30:11 PM
On Apr 4, 3:30=A0pm, javor <u...@compgroups.net/> wrote:
> Try if adding this parameter helps: VERSION=3D10.2.0.2 (you may need to r=
emove compression parameter since it's not supported in 10.2).
> You can also try excluding index statistics exclude=3Dindex_statistics
>
> ---
> frmsrcurl:http://compgroups.net/comp.databases.oracle.server/expdp-is-pai=
nfully...

I cannot reduce version because I am using some partitioing fetaures
which are only in 11.1.
Problem seems to be doiman index (seraching on google). Does not look
like Oracle has fixe dthis problem/bug in 11.1 even though problem was
reported back in 10.x.
0
zigzagdna
4/4/2010 9:10:54 PM
There are multiple bugs related to datapump performance in 11.1. There are patches for some of them.
* Look at Metalink Note 984167.1
* You can also try PSU 11.1.0.7.2 (it may have some related bugs fixed)
0
javor
4/4/2010 9:49:29 PM
On Apr 4, 3:01=A0pm, zigzagdna <zigzag...@yahoo.com> wrote:

snip

> I am using Oracle 11.1.0.7.1 on HP UNIX 11.0. I ma using expdp and

HPUX 11.0 and 11.1.0.7.1 ?  Is that even possible?

0
John
4/5/2010 2:59:30 PM
On Apr 5, 10:59=A0am, John Hurley <hurleyjo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Apr 4, 3:01=A0pm, zigzagdna <zigzag...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> snip
>
> > I am using Oracle 11.1.0.7.1 on HP UNIX 11.0. I ma using expdp and
>
> HPUX 11.0 and 11.1.0.7.1 ? =A0Is that even possible?

Sorry , I HP UNIX 11 for itanium 64 (11.23)

0
zigzagdna
4/5/2010 11:23:08 PM
On Apr 5, 5:01=A0am, zigzagdna <zigzag...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I am using Oracle 11.1.0.7.1 on HP UNIX 11.0. I ma using expdp and
> find it extremely slow. However. Most of the waiting time is during
> metadata (see below) where it waits for several hours. When it starts
> exporting the rows, it progresses reasonably fast.
> Processing object type DATABASE_EXPORT/SCHEMA/TABLE/INDEX/DOMAIN_INDEX/
> I have seen some threads on Metalink as well as on =A0Google. All otf
> tem point to these problems in Oracle 10.2 expdp version, but I see
> same problem in Oracle 11.1.0.7.1 as well. A suggestion =A0to exclude
> STAITISTICS has not helped me:
> expdp system/password =A0directory=3Dexpdp_dir dumpfile=3D$BackupExportFi=
le
> logfile=3D$TLOGFILE \
> full=3DY compression=3Dall =A0exclude=3DSTATISTICS TRACE=3D480300
> I have turned on expdp tracing and I see statements like following for
> various indexes and do not give me any clue to speed things up.
> KUPW:14:48:25.668: 1: Base Process info: 6122 and processing status: C
> and processing state: R
> KUPW:14:48:25.668: 1: new state: R
> KUPW:14:48:25.668: 1: new status: C
> KUPW:14:48:25.668: 1: In procedure BUILD_SUBNAME_LIST with
> INDEX:MAXDEMO71.CONTRACT_NDX2
> KUPW:14:48:25.669: 1: In function NEXT_PO_NUMBER
> KUPW:14:48:25.669: 1: FORALL called.
> KUPW:14:48:25.676: 1: FORALL returned.
> KUPW:14:48:25.678: 1: DBMS_LOB.TRIM called. v_md_xml_clob
> KUPW:14:48:25.679: 1: DBMS_LOB.TRIM returned.
> KUPW:14:48:25.679: 1: DBMS_METADATA.FETCH_XML_CLOB called. Handle:
> 200001
>
> Is ether anyway to speed expdp.

About 3 to 4 years ago I experienced the same problem with 10g. I
narrowed down the problem to the export of the users. I had about
120,000 users in the DBA_USERS table (PeopleSoft database) and so
during testing at one stage I dropped all the users and ran expdp
again and it ran much quicker.

Anyway, that was from memory so I hope I have recalled it properly.
0
DG
4/6/2010 6:53:28 AM
On Apr 6, 2:53=A0am, DG problem <skatef...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 5, 5:01=A0am, zigzagdna <zigzag...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > I am using Oracle 11.1.0.7.1 on HP UNIX 11.0. I ma using expdp and
> > find it extremely slow. However. Most of the waiting time is during
> > metadata (see below) where it waits for several hours. When it starts
> > exporting the rows, it progresses reasonably fast.
> > Processing object type DATABASE_EXPORT/SCHEMA/TABLE/INDEX/DOMAIN_INDEX/
> > I have seen some threads on Metalink as well as on =A0Google. All otf
> > tem point to these problems in Oracle 10.2 expdp version, but I see
> > same problem in Oracle 11.1.0.7.1 as well. A suggestion =A0to exclude
> > STAITISTICS has not helped me:
> > expdp system/password =A0directory=3Dexpdp_dir dumpfile=3D$BackupExport=
File
> > logfile=3D$TLOGFILE \
> > full=3DY compression=3Dall =A0exclude=3DSTATISTICS TRACE=3D480300
> > I have turned on expdp tracing and I see statements like following for
> > various indexes and do not give me any clue to speed things up.
> > KUPW:14:48:25.668: 1: Base Process info: 6122 and processing status: C
> > and processing state: R
> > KUPW:14:48:25.668: 1: new state: R
> > KUPW:14:48:25.668: 1: new status: C
> > KUPW:14:48:25.668: 1: In procedure BUILD_SUBNAME_LIST with
> > INDEX:MAXDEMO71.CONTRACT_NDX2
> > KUPW:14:48:25.669: 1: In function NEXT_PO_NUMBER
> > KUPW:14:48:25.669: 1: FORALL called.
> > KUPW:14:48:25.676: 1: FORALL returned.
> > KUPW:14:48:25.678: 1: DBMS_LOB.TRIM called. v_md_xml_clob
> > KUPW:14:48:25.679: 1: DBMS_LOB.TRIM returned.
> > KUPW:14:48:25.679: 1: DBMS_METADATA.FETCH_XML_CLOB called. Handle:
> > 200001
>
> > Is ether anyway to speed expdp.
>
> About 3 to 4 years ago I experienced the same problem with 10g. I
> narrowed down the problem to the export of the users. I had about
> 120,000 users in the DBA_USERS table (PeopleSoft database) and so
> during testing at one stage I dropped all the users and ran expdp
> again and it ran much quicker.
>
> Anyway, that was from memory so I hope I have recalled it properly.- Hide=
 quoted text -

I have narrowed down the problem to domain indexes which get created
because of Oracle text indexes which my application needs.
Unfortunately, I cannot get rid of domain indexes so stuck with it god
knows until when.

I have yet another problem with 11g, cannot create db control most of
the time. Oracle support looked at it and there is a bug about it on
metalink, yet they will not document my problem as a bug and fix it.
0
zigzagdna
4/7/2010 12:33:32 AM
On Apr 6, 5:33=A0pm, zigzagdna <zigzag...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Apr 6, 2:53=A0am, DG problem <skatef...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Apr 5, 5:01=A0am, zigzagdna <zigzag...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > > I am using Oracle 11.1.0.7.1 on HP UNIX 11.0. I ma using expdp and
> > > find it extremely slow. However. Most of the waiting time is during
> > > metadata (see below) where it waits for several hours. When it starts
> > > exporting the rows, it progresses reasonably fast.
> > > Processing object type DATABASE_EXPORT/SCHEMA/TABLE/INDEX/DOMAIN_INDE=
X/
> > > I have seen some threads on Metalink as well as on =A0Google. All otf
> > > tem point to these problems in Oracle 10.2 expdp version, but I see
> > > same problem in Oracle 11.1.0.7.1 as well. A suggestion =A0to exclude
> > > STAITISTICS has not helped me:
> > > expdp system/password =A0directory=3Dexpdp_dir dumpfile=3D$BackupExpo=
rtFile
> > > logfile=3D$TLOGFILE \
> > > full=3DY compression=3Dall =A0exclude=3DSTATISTICS TRACE=3D480300
> > > I have turned on expdp tracing and I see statements like following fo=
> > > various indexes and do not give me any clue to speed things up.
> > > KUPW:14:48:25.668: 1: Base Process info: 6122 and processing status: =
> > > and processing state: R
> > > KUPW:14:48:25.668: 1: new state: R
> > > KUPW:14:48:25.668: 1: new status: C
> > > KUPW:14:48:25.668: 1: In procedure BUILD_SUBNAME_LIST with
> > > INDEX:MAXDEMO71.CONTRACT_NDX2
> > > KUPW:14:48:25.669: 1: In function NEXT_PO_NUMBER
> > > KUPW:14:48:25.669: 1: FORALL called.
> > > KUPW:14:48:25.676: 1: FORALL returned.
> > > KUPW:14:48:25.678: 1: DBMS_LOB.TRIM called. v_md_xml_clob
> > > KUPW:14:48:25.679: 1: DBMS_LOB.TRIM returned.
> > > KUPW:14:48:25.679: 1: DBMS_METADATA.FETCH_XML_CLOB called. Handle:
> > > 200001
>
> > > Is ether anyway to speed expdp.
>
> > About 3 to 4 years ago I experienced the same problem with 10g. I
> > narrowed down the problem to the export of the users. I had about
> > 120,000 users in the DBA_USERS table (PeopleSoft database) and so
> > during testing at one stage I dropped all the users and ran expdp
> > again and it ran much quicker.
>
> > Anyway, that was from memory so I hope I have recalled it properly.- Hi=
de quoted text -

> I have narrowed down the problem to domain indexes which get created
> because of Oracle text indexes which my application needs.
> Unfortunately, I cannot get rid of domain indexes so stuck with it god
> knows until when.
>
> I have yet another problem with 11g, cannot create db control most of
> the time. Oracle support looked at it and there is a bug about it on
> metalink, yet they will not document my problem as a bug and fix it.

I have a 10g call open (several issues, Itanium hp-ux 11.23), seems to
be difficult because it really is a different product than the db, and
the whole EM support seems based on giving it its own home
environment.  So try setting up an environment specific for dbcontrol,
and only start, stop, rebuild, control or modify it in that
environment, and have the same environment for system start and online
(if you have automatic startups).  In the 10g case at least, it seems
important to use the built-in version of java, rather than the "or
greater" version the docs say (I'm still questioning support about
this assertion, though it makes sense in this context).  In other
words, don't have any references to OS versions of perl or java in
your path, with oracle_home first.  I'd be curious as to what perl or
java advocates have to say about that.

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.
hactivism, lose tenure, DoS, TIT, ivory tower, academic freedom:
On Apr 5, 12:30=A0am, javor <u...@compgroups.net/> wrote:
> Try if adding this parameter helps: VERSION=3D10.2.0.2 (you may need to r=
emove compression parameter since it's not supported in 10.2).
> You can also try excluding index statistics exclude=3Dindex_statistics
>
> ---
> frmsrcurl:http://compgroups.net/comp.databases.oracle.server/expdp-is-pai=
nfully...

Hi,
Don't if you had a chance to check this. It seems its a bug 6460304,
No work arounds.

DATAPUMP EXPORT IS SLOWER THAT EXPORT- 783093.1

Are you using PARALLEL when exporting?

Regards
Sandy
0
sandeep

Oracle databases on a server

SqlSpec

snap servers and suitability for oracle databases
hi I'm looking at purchasing a snap server 18000, but i'm getting conflicting messages with regards to its suitability for providing oracle storage. I'd have another machine with the oracle installation connecting to the storage either iscsi or nfs . Has anyone used any of the snap range for oracle databases ? I don't need super high perfornance, just a decent environment for development. Elaine On 4 Jan 2006 04:23:16 -0800, cmappy@hotmail.com wrote: >hi >I'm looking at purchasing a snap server 18000, but i'm getting >conflicting messages with ...

databases.oracle.server job link
http://www.jobbankdata.com http://www.jobbankdata.com/index.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/type-of-jobs.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/find-job.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/result.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/create-app.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/create-cv.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/interview.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/site.htm On Mar 12, 10:29 am, "good_online_jobs" <good_online_j...@yahoo.com> wrote: > http://www.jobbankdata.comhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/index.htmhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/type-of-jobs.htmhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/find-job.htmhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/result.htmhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/create-app.htmhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/create-cv.htmhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/interview.htmhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/site.htm Would you please stop violating the newsgroup terms of use by posting this useless non-Oracle related crapola. Sites supported by such unethical postings are not work visiting. -- Mark D Powell -- ...

install oracle database server at home
Hi I am thinking of setting up an oracle database on my home computer - possibly Oracle 9i. I am wondering what spec (in terms of RAM especially) I would need. Any assistance would be appreciated. Cheers B. Baz wrote: > Hi > > I am thinking of setting up an oracle database on my home computer - > possibly Oracle 9i. I am wondering what spec (in terms of RAM > especially) I would need. Any assistance would be appreciated. > > Cheers > B. Practical minimums: - Pentium 600 - 512M Ram - 5G free disk - NOT Windows "Home" edition (XP Home, ME ...) - Prefer Linux or perhaps Windows 2000 Pro, XP Pro It is theoretically possible to go dn to 256M RAM but that becomes more an exercise in frustration. /Hans ...

Sun server with Oracle Database crashed
Hi All, My Sun server which is running Oracle database 10.2.0.3.0 got hung and the server had also crashed. The /DBATSTDB01/oracle mount point which is mounted on slice c1t0d0s3 is 100%. It is reflecting /var/adm/messages: Aug 31 15:40:43 blrtstdba02 ufs: [ID 845546 kern.notice] NOTICE: alloc: /DBATSTDB01/oracle: file system full The root slice " / " is occupied 82 %. After the crash, although the /DBATSTDB01/oracle slice is 100% full, the system hasn't hung so far. Is the /DBATSTDB01/oracle slice is causing the system to hang or should I check for hardware issues? Filesystem kbytes used avail capacity Mounted on /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s0 11093692 9000920 1981836 82% / /devices 0 0 0 0% /devices ctfs 0 0 0 0% /system/ contract proc 0 0 0 0% /proc mnttab 0 0 0 0% /etc/mnttab swap 2547944 1088 2546856 1% /etc/svc/ volatile objfs 0 0 0 0% /system/object /platform/sun4u-us3/lib/libc_psr/libc_psr_hwcap1.so.1 11093692 9000920 1981836 82% /platform/sun4u-us3/lib/libc_psr.so.1 /platform/sun4u-us3/lib/sparcv9/libc_psr/libc_psr_hwcap1.so.1 11093692 9000920 1981836 82% /platform/sun4u-us3/lib/sparcv9/libc_psr.so. 1 /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s5 6050982 1646347 4344126 28% /var swap 2554304 7448 254685...

Sqlserver 2000 database on Oracle 9 server
Hi! how could I link a sqlserver 2000 database on a oracle 9 server. or how could I import a sqlserver 2000 database in oracle 9 server. Thanks Hubert Mayr wrote: > Hi! > > how could I link a sqlserver 2000 database on a oracle 9 server. > or > how could I import a sqlserver 2000 database in oracle 9 server. > > Thanks > Oracle Transparent Gateway. Heterogeneous services. ASCII files. -- Daniel Morgan http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/oad/oad_crs.asp http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/aoa/aoa_crs.asp damorgan@x.washington.edu (replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply) Daniel Morgan <damorgan@x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1073922683.284194@yasure>... > Hubert Mayr wrote: > > > Hi! > > > > how could I link a sqlserver 2000 database on a oracle 9 server. > > or > > how could I import a sqlserver 2000 database in oracle 9 server. > > > > Thanks > > > > Oracle Transparent Gateway. > Heterogeneous services. > ASCII files. I have read some articles about this, but I am a little confused about the difference between "Oracle Transparent Gateway" and "Heterogeneous services". I want to create a database link so that the application (logging on to Oracle) will not know whether the table is actually stored in Oracle or in SQL Server. Do I need Oracle Transparent Gateway to make this possible or ...

sql command to list all databases in the oracle server
Hi, could u help me, what is the sql command to list all existing databases in a oracle server? dalu.gelu@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, > > could u help me, what is the sql command to list all existing databases > in a oracle server? Please read the Oracle Concepts Manual. There are Instances and Databases and Schemas. There is no such thing as multiple databases in a single instance. There are multiple schemas! (select distinct owner from dba_tables) Multiple instances can only be listed on O/S level. -- Sybrand Bakker Senior Oracle DBA only one database in oracle server, see v$database view sybrandb wrote: > dalu.gelu@gmail.com wrote: > > Hi, > > > > could u help me, what is the sql command to list all existing databases > > in a oracle server? > > Please read the Oracle Concepts Manual. > There are Instances and Databases and Schemas. > There is no such thing as multiple databases in a single instance. > There are multiple schemas! (select distinct owner from dba_tables) > Multiple instances can only be listed on O/S level. > > -- > Sybrand Bakker > Senior Oracle DBA dalu.gelu@gmail.com wrote: > could u help me, what is the sql command to list all existing > databases in a oracle server? Depends what you mean by "database" and "server". If "server" means a physical, computer server and you want to see all the Oracle instances ("databases"), on most ...

WINODS NT SERVER Oracle
I have Oracle database running on a Windows NT server. I am accessing the server using Remote Desktop ( A Microsoft Terminal Service Client). Somone told me that there are limitations in remote desktop, i.e., one cannot start Oracle. I want to know why as well as the workarounds. Instead of running everything from the WINDOWS NT server console wjhich is painful, what are the workraounds. Do same problem exist with pcAnywhere, VNC desktop, Citrix client. Thanks, Prem On 19 Feb 2004 18:38:10 -0800, premmehrotra@hotmail.com (Prem K Mehrotra) wrote: >I have Oracle database running on a Windows NT server. I am accessing >the server using Remote Desktop ( A Microsoft Terminal Service >Client). Somone told me that there are limitations in remote desktop, >i.e., >one cannot start Oracle. I want to know why as well as the >workarounds. Because Microsoft is Microsoft and Microsoft doesn't support the BEQ protocol used by Oracle for this purpose. The only lousy workaround is to use set local=<tns service name> prior to connecting to sql*plus in a cmd window. Also you can't use the lsnrctl program to start and stop the listener for the same reason. You need to bounce the service. > >Instead of running everything from the WINDOWS NT server console >wjhich is painful, what are the workraounds. OEM? It works! Need to save the init.ora on the Oracle Enterprise Management Server, using OEM, but that is about there is. Or dump Microsux T...

How to migrate my oracle database to another server, pls
Hi everyone, I need to migrate an oracle database to another server, but keeping all equal, like a mirror, i have my original db in Solaris server, need to change it to windows 2000 server but, like i said, keeping all, table spaces, data.... how can i do this?, or where can i find information about it?, I appreciate ur help, thx Plactoon Plactoon wrote: > Hi everyone, > > I need to migrate an oracle database to another server, but keeping all > equal, like a mirror, i have my original db in Solaris server, need to > change it to windows 2000 server but, like i said, keeping all, table > spaces, data.... > > how can i do this?, or where can i find information about it?, > > I appreciate ur help, > > thx > > Plactoon And the version and size are irrelevant? ;-) -- Daniel A. Morgan University of Washington damorgan@x.washington.edu (replace x with u to respond) Puget Sound Oracle Users Group www.psoug.org On 1 Aug 2006 15:18:38 -0700, "Plactoon" <elsersupremo@hotmail.com> wrote: >Hi everyone, > >I need to migrate an oracle database to another server, but keeping all >equal, like a mirror, i have my original db in Solaris server, need to >change it to windows 2000 server but, like i said, keeping all, table >spaces, data.... > >how can i do this?, or where can i find information about it?, > >I appreciate ur help, > >thx > >Plactoon That would be an inadvisible ...

Strange Network Error on Oracle Database Server
Hi Oracle Gurus, We are experiencing a strange Oracle database server(Windows 2003) behaviour When we try to start Oracle database from services -- It does not start the database and in Oradim.log we see following error -- ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error and in sqlnet.ora -- Fatal NI connect error 12560, connecting to: (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=BEQ)(PROGRAM=oracle)(ARGV0=oracleORCL)(ARGS='(DESCRIPTION=(LOCAL=YES)(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=beq)))'))(CONNECT_DATA=(SID=ORCL)(CID=(PROGRAM=C:\oracle\ora90\bin\oradim.exe)(HOST=host02)(USER=SYSTEM)))) However, If I try to manually start the database by login in as sys, it gets started. I have already tried following (a) Recreate the service using Oradim.exe (b) Removed sqlnet.ora file from C:\Oracle\Ora90\network\ADMIN What can be the possible reason(s) for this. Thanks If you can connect to the database instance, even if it is "idle", the service must have started. Without the service having started, you cannot connect via sqlplus.exe even on the server console (on win32). Perhaps it is taking a relatively long time for the database instance to be completely open - and the error message that you show above is a timed out connection attempt? Is the ORACLE_SID of interest "ORCL"? When you re-created the OS Service, did you set the startmode to auto or manual? Is there an init.ora in the %ORACLE_HOME%\database folder that has an IFILE entry to the real parameter file? Is the service owned by a...

Importing sql server 7/2000 database into Oracle
Hi, Is it possible to import a MS sql server 7 or 2000 database into Oracle? Also, if this is possible, would it be better to just import tables and no stored procedures? thanks, Ellie Tables and indexes only surely - have you compared the stored procedures in SqlServer and Oracle! Every one I have ever seen have been quite different. Regards Kevin "E Sullivan" <ellie999nospam@nospamptd.net> wrote in message news:2LGdnUSaYJzJ66bdUSdV9g@ptd.net... > Hi, > > Is it possible to import a MS sql server 7 or 2000 database into Oracle? > Also, if this is possible, would it be better to just import tables and no > stored procedures? > > thanks, > > Ellie > > The stored procedures probably won't be needed so that's ok. I think the difference may be because mssql server uses "transact sql" which is their version of sql statements. Did we really expect MS to play nicely! Can the database be attached/imported or would I have to create a delimited text file? Thanks again. "Kevin A Lewis" <Kevin_A_Lewis@Hotmail.com> wrote in message news:UjL_b.22$mj7.1@newreader.ukcore.bt.net... > Tables and indexes only surely - have you compared the stored procedures in > SqlServer and Oracle! Every one I have ever seen have been quite different. > > Regards Kevin > > "E Sullivan" <ellie999nospam@nospamptd.net> wrote in message > news:2LGdnUSaYJzJ66bdUSdV9g@ptd.net... >...

US-IL-Oracle Database Admin (Client Server)
US-IL-Oracle Database Admin (Client Server) Job title : Database Admin (Client Server) - B (4-6 yrs) Order type : Contract (Temporary) Start date: February 28, 2005, Projected end date (Contract only): May 7, 2005 Working hours: From 8:00 To 17:00 Rates: Best Candidates required: 1 Work location: IL Job requirements: G4B1 Database AdministratorClient Server - B: 4 - 6 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE IN THE FOLLOWING: RESPONSIBILITIES: Ensures the database environment is highly reliable, provides the required functionality, is efficient, and cost effective. Accountable for the creation of the logical and physical data models. Troubleshoots daily program problems to assist program users in accessing and manipulating computerized data. Analyzes and creates programs to streamline production jobs. COMPETENCIES: Establish and maintain data bases for user testing purposes and production; consult with business analysts, data modelers and designers on procedures pertaining to new and existing files; provide input to the data models (functionality, efficiency and usability); responsible for the technical aspects of one or more databases including availability/reliability; assist in the definition of the database requirements; analyze existing databases and their interfaces looking for opportunities to improve their efficiency; and resolve technical problems. QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelors degree or equivalent training or work experience; understanding of customer's...

I need to move oracle database from one to another server
Hello. Please take into consideratio a scenarrio... on left and hardware the same server on right SUN server SUN server Solaris Oracle database And now. Left server is working. But I stopped whole server one month ago and did _full_ backup of all filesystems. After that server and database were operating back for one month. Now. I have second SUN identical server on the right. I did full restore on this server (of all filesystems). But of course database is not up to date. I can stop oracle on left and move some files to right server. My idea is to do: On the right (new server) remove all (old) dbf files, controll files, redologs. Copy files from the original server (on left) that are has been in "work" for recent month to the second server: dbf files control files and redo logs. Then start new server on right? Is it all I have to do? Or I will meet any problems? Regards On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 07:07:27 GMT, "marqzik" <marqzik@wp.pl> wrote: >Hello. Please take into consideratio a scenarrio... >on left and hardware the same server on right > >SUN server SUN server >Solaris >Oracle database > >And now. >Left server is working. >But I stopped whole server one month ago and did _full_ backup of all >filesystems. >After that server and database were operating back for one month. >Now. >I have second SUN identical server on the right. ...

Changed DNS Server and now database connection is very slow
I changed our DNS server and when I disconnect the old DNS server our informix ids 11.5 instance takes up to 30 seconds to find the databases. If you use dbaccess it starts and when is is going to list the databases it stalls, the connect process and all query seem to run fine. We I have the old DNS server off line I can get good forward and reverse DNS lookups so the DNS for the os (debian linux) seems to be fine. I have not restart the Informix instance, it is a production system of a 24/7 contact center, so I don't want to restart without knowing that there might be a fix in it...

Oracle management server with only one database going to 9i
We will be changing from a 8.1.7 to Oracle 9i. I would like to impliment some "best practices" right from the start. Being rather green, 5 day dba course, makes you a dba at our shop. I have done some research into Oracle Management server. I was thinking of implementing this in our shop, even though it will only be monitoring one database, possible two. The reason for the management server that perked my interest, in that fact that I can use RMAN for backup, but the real reason was using it for event monitoring. We do not have the man power to continuely look at the alert log, and we are always creating scripts to monitor table sizes, etc. I was wondering if this would be a good thing, and is it commonly used for one database. I am also looking at how much overhead it needs. Size RAM ect. Is there a good READ about this? Is there any best practices for moving to 9i? handl@mts.net (Laura) wrote in message news:<e0ddcf8.0407060608.634328b7@posting.google.com>... > We will be changing from a 8.1.7 to Oracle 9i. > > I would like to impliment some "best practices" right from the start. > Being rather green, 5 day dba course, makes you a dba at our shop. I > have done some research into Oracle Management server. > > I was thinking of implementing this in our shop, even though it will > only be monitoring one database, possible two. > The reason for the management server that perked my interest, in that > fact that I ...

Importing sql server 7/2000 database to Oracle
Hi, Is it possible to import a MS sql server 7 or 2000 database into Oracle? Also, if this is possible, would it be better to just import tables and no stored procedures? thanks, Ellie E Sullivan wrote: > Hi, > > Is it possible to import a MS sql server 7 or 2000 database into Oracle? > Also, if this is possible, would it be better to just import tables and no > stored procedures? > > thanks, > > Ellie What do you mean by "import"? If you mean dump the data as a delimited text file and use SQL*Loader. Yes. But do keep in mind you will need to translate some data types and autonumbering columns do not exist. -- Daniel Morgan http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/oad/oad_crs.asp http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/aoa/aoa_crs.asp damorgan@x.washington.edu (replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply) Thanks, Daniel. Yes, that is what I want. Now about the autonumbering columns: as long as we aren't going to add to the database and expect autonumbering, I can still have that column, right? That's what it sounds like. thanks again. "Daniel Morgan" <damorgan@x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:1077639180.433784@yasure... > E Sullivan wrote: > > > Hi, > > > > Is it possible to import a MS sql server 7 or 2000 database into Oracle? > > Also, if this is possible, would it be better to ju...

Web resources about - expdp is painfully slow - comp.databases.oracle.server

Casiotone for the Painfully Alone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ashworth started CFTPA after he dropped out of film school in 1997. He has toured with other indie artists such as The Donkeys , Papercuts , ...

Facebook Scores Painfully Low In Customer Satisfaction
While brands are in a love/hate relationship with Facebook , many users are firmly displeased with the social network, and it shows in the latest ...

Bridget Jones's Diary (1/12) Movie CLIP - Painfully Awful Speech (2001) HD - YouTube
Bridget Jones's Diary Movie Clip - watch all clips http://j.mp/AoNFhM click to subscribe http://j.mp/sNDUs5 Bridget (Renee Zellweger) delivers ...

Tory self-destruction is so painfully enjoyable
You can smell the doubt in Tory ranks, see the fear in Tory eyes. It's not yet panic, although in this febrile political climate it wouldn't ...

Lancet study confirms Richard III died painfully on battlefield
King Richard might well have lost his kingdom for a horse, dying in battle at Bosworth Field, a study in prestigious medical journal Lancet says. ...

Musicians die younger, more painfully than the rest of us: University of Sydney research
Musicians will die younger than non-musicians even if they make it past the deadly age of 27.

LISTEN: Comcast rep painfully tries to keep customer from cancelling Internet
All Ryan Block wanted to do was cancel his Comcast Internet service. Unfortunately, he got the customer service rep who didn't want to let him ...

Oh Dear. Rob Lowe is Painfully Awkward in This
Every weekday, we bring you the Ad Age/iSpot Hot Spots, new and trending TV commercials tracked by iSpot.tv, a company that catalogs, tags and ...

WWE Star Sued For Painfully Real Assault On Co-Worker
While WWE is widely seen as staging fights, a producer claims Big Show assaulted him and now he's suing.

Humor: Spoof Apple Ad Demonstrating iOS 4 On iPhone 3G Is Painfully Accurate
A spoof Apple ad showing how the now-archaic iPhone 3G handles iOS 4 hit the web earlier this month. Read on to find out more, and to view the ...