f



Installing oracle 9i and oracle 10g in one solaris 10 server

Hi All,

Is it possible to install oracle 9i and oracle 10g in one solaris 10
server?

Thanks
Ed
0
arub11 (19)
7/26/2008 6:28:57 PM
comp.databases.oracle.server 22978 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

6 Replies
1509 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 12

Ed <arub11@yahoo.com> wrote in news:61dc863c-fde2-426b-adc7-c77de59a1703
@n33g2000pri.googlegroups.com:

> Hi All,
> 
> Is it possible to install oracle 9i and oracle 10g in one solaris 10
> server?
> 
Most definitely in seperate directory trees
0
anacedent (475)
7/26/2008 6:33:01 PM
On Jul 26, 11:33=A0am, "Ana C. Dent" <anaced...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Ed <aru...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:61dc863c-fde2-426b-adc7-c77de59a1703
> @n33g2000pri.googlegroups.com:
>
> > Hi All,
>
> > Is it possible to install oracle 9i and oracle 10g in one solaris 10
> > server?
>
> Most definitely in seperate directory trees

With different oracle users used for installation?
Any other info. you may have to keep in mind during the installation
of both versions of oracle?
0
arub11 (19)
7/26/2008 8:40:48 PM
On Jul 26, 2:28=A0pm, Ed <aru...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Is it possible to install oracle 9i and oracle 10g in one solaris 10
> server?
>
> Thanks
> Ed

You install them into separate oracle homes.  Do the 9i first and
patch then 10g and patch is simplest.

You should double check 9i I "think" it is supported by oracle for
solaris 10.  The installer might get a little weird worry about os
patches and pre-reqs not sure.  The 10g install is pretty clean.

You can do both installs using the "same" oracle user and group
definitions or you could fudge them differently but I wouldn't do that
unless there was a strong reason for it.
0
johnbhurley (2707)
7/26/2008 8:57:26 PM
Ed wrote:
> Hi All,
> 
> Is it possible to install oracle 9i and oracle 10g in one solaris 10
> server?
> 
> Thanks
> Ed
Shouldn't be a problem at all. I'd be inclined to install both as 
oracle; 9i first then 10g - into a different ORACLE_HOME (of course).

Palooka
0
nobody (5159)
7/26/2008 9:43:21 PM
Palooka wrote:
> Ed wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Is it possible to install oracle 9i and oracle 10g in one solaris 10
>> server?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Ed
> Shouldn't be a problem at all. I'd be inclined to install both as 
> oracle; 9i first then 10g - into a different ORACLE_HOME (of course).
> 
> Palooka


You can install them in any order.  UNIX is not Windows. ;) I will state 
that with the recent patch bundles from SUN on Solaris 10, we are having 
more and more issues getting 9i base to even install.  At this time, 9i 
installer is so far out of sync with security patches in Solaris 10, 
that it may or may not work.  In which case, you are hosed.  (We have 
created clones on earlier Solaris 10 boxes and just lay those down using 
the clone feature).  I am no longer in that install group, so I no 
longer have access to those scripts.
0
maustin (1437)
7/27/2008 10:29:24 PM
Michael Austin wrote:
> Palooka wrote:
>> Ed wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Is it possible to install oracle 9i and oracle 10g in one solaris 10
>>> server?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Ed
>> Shouldn't be a problem at all. I'd be inclined to install both as 
>> oracle; 9i first then 10g - into a different ORACLE_HOME (of course).
>>
>> Palooka
> 
> 
> You can install them in any order.  UNIX is not Windows. ;) I will state 
> that with the recent patch bundles from SUN on Solaris 10, we are having 
> more and more issues getting 9i base to even install.  At this time, 9i 
> installer is so far out of sync with security patches in Solaris 10, 
> that it may or may not work.  In which case, you are hosed.  (We have 
> created clones on earlier Solaris 10 boxes and just lay those down using 
> the clone feature).  I am no longer in that install group, so I no 
> longer have access to those scripts.

No argument here, It's just instinctive to install the earlier version 
first. And I didn't mention windoze; I was talking Solaris, since that 
was the OP's question.

Palooka
0
nobody (5159)
7/27/2008 11:42:19 PM
Reply: