Bring over Oracle 9i db to Oracle 10g

Have been using a db in Oracle 9i for sometime and now want to upgrade this
db to Oracle 10g.  Can someone point me in the right direction?

0
William
9/10/2004 12:58:28 AM
comp.databases.oracle 1791 articles. 0 followers. tgugger5 (31) is leader. Post Follow

"William F. O'Neill" <wfoneill@bellsouth.net> wrote in

> Have been using a db in Oracle 9i for sometime and now want to upgrade
> this db to Oracle 10g.  Can someone point me in the right direction?

http://otn.oracle.com
http://tahiti.oracle.com
0
Ana
9/10/2004 1:50:15 AM
Hi Ana:

By the time I go thru both of those websites that you gave me, Oracle will
be out with v.11 - spent a half hour looking for some instruction or article
that would help me.  Am not a DBA, so the answer might be staring me in the
face, and I wouldn't recognize it.  Just want to be able to use my old
Oracle 9i db in Oracle10g.

"Ana C. Dent" <anacedent@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "William F. O'Neill" <wfoneill@bellsouth.net> wrote in
>
>> Have been using a db in Oracle 9i for sometime and now want to upgrade
>> this db to Oracle 10g.  Can someone point me in the right direction?
>>

> http://otn.oracle.com
> http://tahiti.oracle.com

0
William
9/10/2004 3:29:19 AM
William F. O'Neill wrote:

> Hi Ana:
>
> By the time I go thru both of those websites that you gave me, Oracle will
> be out with v.11 - spent a half hour looking for some instruction or
> article
> that would help me.  Am not a DBA, so the answer might be staring me in
> the
> face, and I wouldn't recognize it.  Just want to be able to use my old
> Oracle 9i db in Oracle10g.

Ana's advice was spot-on.  You need to spend some time getting famliar with
the documentation to get the return for your investment (you, or your
organization, DID pay for the software didn't you???)

However, to reduce the amount of time you will consider wasted - at Tahiti
(http://tahiti.oracle.com), under the Oracle10g area, you will find two
documents that are incredibly important in context of your question.

The two critical manuals are the 'Concepts' manual (which tells you what
thing are new, and how to reduce your admin and maintenance time) and the
'Installation' manual, which has a whole chapter on how to do the upgrade.

Of course, the Upgrade manual will be nearly useless unless you know how to
answer the questions - and those are discussed in the Concepts manual.

0
Hans