Any utility to convert TrackStar board emulator Disk images to Emulator image files??

Hello,

I was curious to see if anyone had written a utility to convert
TrackStar board emulator Disk images to regular disk images that would
work on one of the Apple IIe emulators??  I was going to try and use
the ADT utility and a serial cable to make images of my disks but if
there is a utility that can convert the TrackStar images that would be
much easier.  If you know of one please let me know.

Best Regards,

Robert
0
rdoerr
4/23/2004 4:35:41 PM
comp.emulators.apple2 988 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

"Robert L. Doerr" <rdoerr@bizserve.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I was curious to see if anyone had written a utility to convert
> TrackStar board emulator Disk images to regular disk images that would
> work on one of the Apple IIe emulators??  I was going to try and use
> the ADT utility and a serial cable to make images of my disks but if
> there is a utility that can convert the TrackStar images that would be
> much easier.  If you know of one please let me know.

I don't believe there are any utilities that do what you want.

A while back I made an attempt to get FishWings

http://www3.bboard.com/charlied/fishwings.htm

to read TrackStar disk images (ones with the extension .app) but finally
gave up.  The "unusual" format of the images combined with no documentation
forced me to reverse engineer TrackStar images found on the internet (I
don't have a TrackStar board myself).  Most if not all the images I found
seemed to be corrupted. Several people then sent me images made on a
TrackStar of known disks.  With these images I made some progress but there
were always spots on the images that I didn't understand.  Very
frustrating.

You could try CiderPress:

http://www.faddensoft.com/

It supports more disk formats than any other PC utility that I know of but
I don't see TrackStar listed on the CiderPress site.

Another disk image utility is Apple Commander:

http://applecommander.sourceforge.net/

Using ADT is probably the way to go unless you have a PC with two floppy
drives (only one has to be a 5.25"). Then you could try Disk2FDI:

http://www.oldskool.org/disk2fdi

This utility lets you read 5.25" Apple II disks on a PC.

Charlie

0
Charlie
4/23/2004 7:07:37 PM
> > I was curious to see if anyone had written a utility to convert
> > TrackStar board emulator Disk images to regular disk images that would
> > work on one of the Apple IIe emulators??  I was going to try and use
> > the ADT utility and a serial cable to make images of my disks but if
> > there is a utility that can convert the TrackStar images that would be
> > much easier.  If you know of one please let me know.
>
> I don't believe there are any utilities that do what you want.
>
> A while back I made an attempt to get FishWings
>
> http://www3.bboard.com/charlied/fishwings.htm
>
> to read TrackStar disk images (ones with the extension .app) but finally
> gave up.  The "unusual" format of the images combined with no documentation
> forced me to reverse engineer TrackStar images found on the internet (I
> don't have a TrackStar board myself).  Most if not all the images I found
> seemed to be corrupted. Several people then sent me images made on a
> TrackStar of known disks.  With these images I made some progress but there
> were always spots on the images that I didn't understand.  Very
> frustrating.

Hello Charlie,

Looks like a very cool application to manage Apple II disk images you
have there.  It's a shame that the information about the disk format
wasn't
published on the Trackstar.  I read that it could also store
information about
copy protection and that may have caused the problems.  If those
images could be converted then that would open up a whole new way of
transferring disks.

> You could try CiderPress:
>
> http://www.faddensoft.com/
>
> It supports more disk formats than any other PC utility that I know of but
> I don't see TrackStar listed on the CiderPress site.
>
> Another disk image utility is Apple Commander:
>
> http://applecommander.sourceforge.net/
>
> Using ADT is probably the way to go unless you have a PC with two floppy
> drives (only one has to be a 5.25"). Then you could try Disk2FDI:
>
> http://www.oldskool.org/disk2fdi
>
> This utility lets you read 5.25" Apple II disks on a PC.

All excellent links.  I'm going to try a couple and see if they can at
least
read the disks I want to preserve.  If that works and I can find an
Apple IIe emulator with SuperSerial Support then I can run some of the
custom software for an old Androbot TOPO robot on my Laptop.  Much
easier to carry around then a whole IIe system.

Regards,

Robert

http://www.robotworkshop.com
0