Can you convert a Type 1 font (Mac) to an OpenType font (PC) for PC use?

Can you convert a Type 1 font (Mac) to an OpenType font (PC) for PC
use?

I have purchased numerous PostScript Adobe Type 1 fonts over the last
15 years for use on my Mac. Is there a way to use any of these fonts
as OpenType on a PC? (specifically for Word).

I do not want to substitute any fonts. I am using the Helvetica Neue
Condensed family.

Thanks.

leo@leoaudette.com
0
leo
7/25/2003 4:20:27 AM
comp.fonts 4623 articles. 2 followers. margulisd (51) is leader. Post Follow

You can easily convert Mac Type1 to PC Type1. The two major programs for
this are CrossFont from
http://www.asy.com
and Transtype
http://www.fontlab.com

Type 1 fonts are fully supported by Windows 2000 and Windows XP. Windows
9x requires the Adobe Type Manager (free from Adobe). Windows NT
automatically converts T1's to TTF's - not a good solution, but you can
use ATM on NT as well.

A conversion to Opentype needs a higher level program such as Fontlab.
The only additional advantage of such converted fonts is that the same
actual file can then be used on both PC and Mac.

 - Character

Leo wrote:

> Can you convert a Type 1 font (Mac) to an OpenType font (PC) for PC
> use?
>
> I have purchased numerous PostScript Adobe Type 1 fonts over the last
> 15 years for use on my Mac. Is there a way to use any of these fonts
> as OpenType on a PC? (specifically for Word).
>
> I do not want to substitute any fonts. I am using the Helvetica Neue
> Condensed family.
>
> Thanks.
>
> leo@leoaudette.com
0