bump map

Hello,
I'm using gimp and I want to know if there is a better reference of
what a bump map is relative to a 3D representation (and what the depth
parameter stand for). I found a little of explanation in the Carey book

``Grokking the Gimp'', but I'm searching for more references. However,
all
on the web seems to describe a bump map from a tutorial point of view
(How
to make a bump map) or from an algorithmic point of view.
Have you any link that regards this matter?
Thanks,
                                        Gaetano

comp.graphics.misc 1435 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow