[CM] Surfing the modern web with ancient browser c/o proxy renderer

From the «needs more BLINK» department:
Title: Surfing the modern web with ancient browsers
Author: Thom Holwerda
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2014 19:05:02 -0400
Link: http://osnews.com/story/27632/Surfing_the_modern_web_with_ancient_browsers

I spend a fair amount of time working with legacy operating systems. Apart
from being obsolete themselves they suffer from a common problem - the web
browsers are simply unusable on a present day Internet. You start by getting
JavaScript error on google.com and it only gets worse once you go further.
Try going to microsoft.com with IE 1.5 or qnx.com with the last version of
Voyager. This just doesn't work. With rapid progression of web standards, the
situation will only be getting worse in time. Something had to be done. This
is some really cool stuff.
0
RS
3/23/2014 8:24:08 PM
comp.infosystems.browsers.misc 292 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

RS Wood  <rsw@therandymon.com> writes:

> ...legacy operating systems. Apart from being obsolete themselves
> they suffer from a common problem - the web browsers are simply
> unusable on a present day Internet.

Depending on how much "present day" you're anxious to gag down.

I routinely use Netscape 4.76 for Linux.  The only frequent problem is
that some encoding schemes used with HTTPS are not supported.  With
images and js disabled, I see most of what I want to see, don't see
ads, banners, dingbats, more ads; don't get into a maze of popups and
other js crap.

The worst offenders from my POV are industrial corporate sites that
actually want to *sell* you something.  Finding the thing you want to
buy is often imposssible.  For these and, very occasionally, other
sites such as Google Maps, I have to boot up a single-digit version of
Firefox.

Farcebook, Twitter, U-tube, gmail, on-line shopping or banking sites?
Don't go there.

For each of a few regularly-visited sites, I have a site-specific
cgi-bin Perl script on localhost that fetches the page, massages the
HTML and delivers it, accessed via a link on my file:///homepage.

--
Mike Spencer                  Nova Scotia, Canada
0
On 2014-03-23, Mike Spencer <mds@bogus.nodomain.nowhere> wrote:

> RS Wood  <rsw@therandymon.com> writes:
>
>> ...legacy operating systems. Apart from being obsolete themselves
>> they suffer from a common problem - the web browsers are simply
>> unusable on a present day Internet.
>
> Depending on how much "present day" you're anxious to gag down.
>
> I routinely use Netscape 4.76 for Linux.  The only frequent problem is
> that some encoding schemes used with HTTPS are not supported.  With
> images and js disabled, I see most of what I want to see, don't see
> ads, banners, dingbats, more ads; don't get into a maze of popups and
> other js crap.
>
> The worst offenders from my POV are industrial corporate sites that
> actually want to *sell* you something.  Finding the thing you want to
> buy is often imposssible.  For these and, very occasionally, other
> sites such as Google Maps, I have to boot up a single-digit version of
> Firefox.
>
> Farcebook, Twitter, U-tube, gmail, on-line shopping or banking sites?
> Don't go there.
>
> For each of a few regularly-visited sites, I have a site-specific
> cgi-bin Perl script on localhost that fetches the page, massages the
> HTML and delivers it, accessed via a link on my file:///homepage.

It's surprising how may sites are quite usable with the current version
of Lynx.  Doubtless this could be extended by including wget stunnel and
darkhttpd in your local setup.

--
--  Whiskers