Web Browser Insanity

Getting many Apache log entries for 404 GETs for images like /apple-touch-icon.png on your website? Yeah, me too.

Why, just why, won't Apple (or AppleWebkit or Android), when they get a fucking 404 for their device specific image requests, stop continuously asking for it!

What? Do they expect a different result each time? Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result is insanity.

Apple, AppleWebkit or Android or whoever are the programmers behind this are insane. At least implement a "session ID" or something and check just once per session. Okay? Is that too much to ask? It that too difficult for you to do?

This is the same with 'favicon.ico' that all browsers check for EVERY PAGE HIT!

How about adding just a little bit of intelligence to your programming? Just one little thing: "Oh, it's not there, I'll stop asking for it while I continue browsing for now. I'll ask again the next time I start a session."

The four or five lines of code to do that would reduce the amount of needless and wasteful Internet traffic by _millions_ of bytes per second.

UGH!
0
pixieblogger
4/21/2013 3:55:45 PM
comp.infosystems.browsers.misc 292 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow