YAMI4 1.10.2 released

Hi,

I am pleased to announce that YAMI4 1.10.2, which is a minor update, was just released:

http://www.inspirel.com/yami4/

The update targets specifically newer versions of GNAT, which due to stricter handling of some language constructs[*] refused to compile the older code. The library should now work correctly with newest GNAT versions.

[*] The actual language problem was occasionally discussed on comp.lang.ada, most recently in this thread:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.lang.ada/HNUxQAz4_FE/discussion

--
Maciej Sobczak * http://www.inspirel.com
0

Maciej Sobczak <see.my.homepage@gmail.com> writes:
> I am pleased to announce that YAMI4 1.10.2, which is a minor update,
> was just released:   http://www.inspirel.com/yami4/

Interesting.  First thing I wondered was whether it was written in Ada,
but it seems to be mostly C++ with bindings for Ada and other lanuages.

I notice there's a GPL version and a Boost-licensed version:

  "Professional package: Boost Software License, with intended use in
  both closed-source (which is a frequent choice in commercial projects)
  and open-source developments where dedicated technical support is
  required."

Does that mean it's ok to get the Boost version and release it as part
of an open source application?  If yes, why not just put both versions
on your web site (without tech support of course)?  Are they
substantially different?

If you're saying the non-GPL version is actually closed/proprietary,
that's fine, but it would be clearer if you called it that.
0
Paul
12/9/2016 1:12:21 AM
> Interesting.  First thing I wondered was whether it was written in Ada,
> but it seems to be mostly C++ with bindings for Ada and other lanuages.

That's right. The complete library structure is explained here:

http://inspirel.com/yami4/book/2.html

Ada is supported in terms of thick bindings and additional functional layer=
 (the "general-purpose" part) on top of the core library, which itself was =
written in C++. That additional functional layer means that a substantial a=
mount of functionality (this includes the tasking model, which the core par=
t does not provide on its own) is in fact Ada.

> I notice there's a GPL version and a Boost-licensed version:
[...]
> Does that mean it's ok to get the Boost version and release it as part
> of an open source application?

The Boost license was intended for use in both open- and close-source proje=
cts. It is itself very liberal and similar in nature to BSD.
In short - once you have it, you can do anything with it, close it or publi=
sh it.

> If yes, why not just put both versions
> on your web site (without tech support of course)?  Are they
> substantially different?

They are not functionally different, but the licenses are close enough that=
 publishing both of them does not make any sense (that is, GPL version woul=
d not make sense if the Boost version was available).

> If you're saying the non-GPL version is actually closed/proprietary,
> that's fine, but it would be clearer if you called it that.

The idea is similar to how AdaCore distributes GNAT - both GPL and Pro vers=
ions are essentially open-source, but are intended for distinct audiences.

--=20