APL keyboards for Linux

I have been working on the issued "apl" keyboard for Linux.

This was originally written by Tim Nelson. I have updated it for
Dyalog's layout and other support.

I also updated evdev.extras.xml to support the various keyboard
"variants" that are defined in this file.

I am extremely tempted to make the "Dyalog" variant the default. Would
this be presumptuous? The current default layout is a cut down set of
common characters which I don't think would satisfy anyone.

In addition I have an update for /usr/share/X11/locale/en_US.UTF-8/
Compose which will give support for overstrikes. There are some key
issues here which might bare some discussion:

1. It is not possible to compose two characters from different
keyboard layouts. So for instance if =E2=97=8B comes from an APL layout and=
 -
comes from a US layout then they cannot be composed because you need a
layout switch between them. I have already tackled this from a
different angle because I wanted to support the entry of the circled
alphabet. ( =E2=92=B6 - =E2=93=8F ). Now the compose file already has a num=
ber of
entries to map the letter O + C to =C2=A9 which is the copyright symbol and
similar. So I choose to use 0 (zero) + A to give  =E2=92=B6 etc. These are
typable from one layout. I also defined in the same style 0 + - to
give =E2=8A=96 because "-" is often not on the APL layout but is supplied f=
rom
the underlying language. For these circled characters I have only
defined one order - you have to type the 0 first.

2. I have defined compose sequences for all of the likely characters
from all of the variants. So for instance =E2=8D=87=E2=8D=88 are there for =
MicroAPL.
For these characters I have defined both orders.

3. The existing compositions include things like ( + - giving {. So I
could not use that for =E2=8A=A2.

I intend to submit these changes to Xorg for inclusion in future Linux
builds. This may take time to peculate. I am still exploring what is
necessary for other locales but at worst it would simply mean copying
a bunch of lines from one file to another.

Could anybody who is interested in this please contact me and I will
send them the files to peruse. Part of the update of the "apl" symbols
file included adding keyboard diagrams for what had been defined.
Which should make them easy to evaluate.

Geoff Streeter

PS I was doing this development on Fedora 16 and I noticed that the
"monospace" font has deteriorated from an APL perspective. It always
did have spacing issues with =E2=8A=A5 but now some characters have
disappeared entirely and others have developed spacing issues. =E2=8D=AA=E2=
=8D=9D=E2=8D=8E=E2=8D=95
have all disappeared. =E2=8C=B6 has serious spacing issues both horizontall=
and vertically. So I will have to log some bugs.
0
geoff
12/21/2011 2:15:53 PM
comp.lang.apl 1696 articles. 2 followers. Post Follow

On Dec 21, 2:15=C2=A0pm, "geoff.streeter" <ge...@dyalog.com> wrote:
> [...]
> necessary for other locales but at worst it would simply mean copying
> a bunch of lines from one file to another.
>
> Could anybody who is interested in this please contact me and I will
> send them the files to peruse. Part of the update of the "apl" symbols
> file included adding keyboard diagrams for what had been defined.
> Which should make them easy to evaluate.
>
> Geoff Streeter
>
> PS I was doing this development on Fedora 16 and I noticed that the
> "monospace" font has deteriorated from an APL perspective. It always
> did have spacing issues with =E2=8A=A5 but now some characters have
> disappeared entirely and others have developed spacing issues. =E2=8D=AA=
=E2=8D=9D=E2=8D=8E=E2=8D=95
> have all disappeared. =E2=8C=B6 has serious spacing issues both horizonta=
lly
> and vertically. So I will have to log some bugs.

Further experiments show that I can actually compose across a change
of layout so it will be more natural to use =E2=97=8B + A to get =E2=92=B6 =
rather than
zero + A. The Compose file is an X11 file so using _ + A is not
suitable even if your font chooses to represent a circled A as an
underscored A.
0
geoff