Clarion 6 on Win 7 64

I know I need to run a VM but which is best?

Should I run it on the free XP mode or use another VM and Win7/32?

I have to reboot my XP box all the time due to WOW32 errors when I am using C6 and I wondered if using Win7/32 on a VM would solve those issues.

Thanks!

On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 15:19:09 -0700 (PDT), Greg Salyer wrote:

> I know I need to run a VM but which is best?

Greg,

If you have access to the SoftVelocity newsgroups - you'll get more

I would suggest either:

Product Description - VMware Workstation, MFG - VMware
Internet Link - http://www.vmware.com/products/workstation/

OR

Product Description - VirtualBox - Oracle VM, MFG - Oracle
Internet Link - http://www.virtualbox.org/

VirtualBox is free - so you can try it out without a time limit.

VMware Workstation - currently version 9 (you need VMware Workstation 8
minimally to install Windows 8 VMs) has a 30 day trial version.

> Should I run it on the free XP mode or use another VM and Win7/32?

I would suggest not using XP Mode - either of the two I've already
mentioned are used by many developers.

Also, consider this, your main development computer - you boot up into an
OS and work with Virtual Machines (of course, you use a 32 bit VM for C6) -
Minimally, I'd suggest Windows 7 - 64 bit or Windows 8 - 64 bit for your
bootup - main computer.

32 bit OSs restrict you to less than 4 GBytes TOTAL memory you can access -

So running your main computer and a couple VMs, you run out of memory
easily with a 32 bit OS.

Depending on the Edition - a 64 bit OS will let you access at least 16
GBytes - it also depends on motherboard support as well - so check out the
MFG specs for your computer.

> I have to reboot my XP box all the time due to WOW32 errors when I am using C6 and I wondered if using Win7/32 on a VM would solve those issues.

No, you'll still have problems in Windows 7 - 32 bit and C6.

Save often, exit the app, IDE, and re-enter to minimize the potential
errors.

Download and install these Developer Tips tutorial. There are help topics
for Clarion that might help you as well.

Encourager Software Developer Tips
MFG - Encourager Software
http://www.encouragersoftware.com/software-developers.html

David

--
From David Troxell - Product Scope 7.9 - Encourager Software
Email - mailto:c3p_Remove_@_Me_encouragersoftware.com
> I know I need to run a VM but which is best?
>
> Should I run it on the free XP mode or use another VM and Win7/32?
>
> I have to reboot my XP box all the time due to WOW32 errors when I am using
> C6 and I wondered if using Win7/32 on a VM would solve those issues.
>
> Thanks!

I run C6 on XP (on a VM) its very stable which isnt what you want to
hear, you will need a patch more info here
http://www.lindersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18582 if you want to
run C6 on vista/W7

This might be relevant to your situ
http://www.strategyonline.co.za/blog/2007/04/win-16-subsystem-has-insufficient-resources/
but wow32 errors tend to be a problem with windows and theres alot of
different suggestions/solutions which google might be able to help you
track down the right one for you.

WRT which is the best VM, MS Virtual PC is ok but uses a lot memory
becuase of the way it works, Oracles VirtualBox is free but its not as
easy or refined to use like plugging in usb devices as VMWares
workstation is, so plugging in a memory stick requires more steps to
setup and complete in virtual box where as in vmware workstation just
plug in and choose removable devices, select the item and choose
Connect (disconnect from host).

I use both virtual box and vmware workstation, although I have the
latest version of workstation I still use workstation 6.5 becuase its
lightening fast compared to later versions of workstation but this
might be a CPU chipset issue (not tested) but most people wouldnt even
notice the speed difference, and I run both VM's on Win7 64 and
variations of Linux like a CentOs server running headless and with GUI
installed and Ubuntu workstation/server headless & gui.

Running a VM on a linux host is faster than a Win7 64 host and for best
performance I install the host OS's on SSD drives with all fancy gui
attributes like aero on windows switched off so its basic win 95 look
and feel to squeeze the very last bit of performance out of all the
machines. I also overclock one of my machines as well as I have a 2 ATI
HD4850x2 driving 6 monitors but the graphics cards are excellent for
brute force cracking encryption as well amongst other things. :)

When running guests like XP, I install the basic OS, patch it up to SP3
but I dont install things like the .net framework its just the absolute
minimum of windows to squeeze the most amount of performance out of the
guest and run clarion and I dont run AV's on the guests. Hosts I rotate
the different AV's I use becuase no AV catchs 100% of viruses/malware
for more info on this read this
http://www.shadowserver.org/wiki/pmwiki.php/Stats/Viruses

When I run C6 on XP, I've changed the C6 shortcuts to "Run in seperate
memory space" and I make the template registry in C6 read only, then I
can run multiple instance of C6 on the XP guest which means I can load
each app/dct (dll/exe) into an instance of C6 and its quicker working
that way then as I dont have the hassle of loading/unloading apps/dct
when I want to make a change in another app/dct.

I also look after various customers systems running my software,
peer2peer networks as well as windows domain servers and it all runs
sweet becuase 6 years ago I wanted to just concentrate on software so
handed over the HW support for my customers systems to other outside HW
support companies and TBH most dont have a clue what they were doing,
many sent kids out to sort out problems or install things onto servers
so my customers burned through HW support companies trying to find good
support, but after many hints and a bit of pleading last year I
relented and took them back so I have total control and say over what
goes at my customers. I've also developed an AI which monitors all the
systems and alerts me to any problems with any server or workstation,
hack attempts  as well which is pretty sweet if I might say so, but
your wow32 problems is down to windows, its highly unlikely to be a
clarion problem (remotely possibly a C6 file corruption somewhere) but
at the same time you might be hitting 16bit limits within Clarion which
will give you crash so your only option is to upgrade to C8 if this is
whats going on, but I would start with a clean install of XP first.

0
noone3 (3603)
9/21/2012 12:38:59 PM
On 21/09/12 00:19, Greg Salyer wrote:
> I know I need to run a VM but which is best?
>
> Should I run it on the free XP mode or use another VM and Win7/32?
>
> I have to reboot my XP box all the time due to WOW32 errors when I am
> using C6 and I wondered if using Win7/32 on a VM would solve those
> issues.
>
> Thanks!

I can't tell you anything Clarion-specific, but I can strongly recommend
VirtualBox for virtualisation.  It's free (which is nice), is happy with
a wide range of guests and hosts, supports USB passthrough, lots of
network options, RDP for remote viewing, smooth resizing of the guest
window, full-screen and "seamless" modes, snapshots, clones, mixes of
32-bit and 64-bit OS's, 3D acceleration, and a whole range of other
options.  And it is regularly updated with new features and fixes for
any bugs discovered.  I can't comprehend why people would pay lots of
money for VMWare workstation when VirtualBox is free and has pretty much
the same (or more) features.

If you don't have to use Windows on the host, you should always use
Linux as the host - run your Windows machines inside VirtualBox virtual
machines.  They will probably run faster than Windows on the bare metal
(except for 3D or graphics-intensive stuff) - Linux makes more efficient
use of hardware such as hard disks.

Just make sure you have plenty of memory - virtual machines always use
quite a lot.

On 20-Sep-12 18:19, Greg Salyer wrote:
> I know I need to run a VM but which is best?

I use virtualbox w/ C6 with no issues at all. I know there's other VM
options out there, but I found it easy to set up & virtualbox has the
benefit of being free.

hth,
Paul

On Fri, 21 Sep 2012 13:38:59 +0100, Richard Rose wrote:

> Greg Salyer submitted this idea :
>> I know I need to run a VM but which is best?
>>
>> Should I run it on the free XP mode or use another VM and Win7/32?
>>
>> I have to reboot my XP box all the time due to WOW32 errors when I am using
>> C6 and I wondered if using Win7/32 on a VM would solve those issues.
>>
>> Thanks!

Richard,

THANK you for your long and detailed VM response - lots of good reading
material!

Also, thanks to Paul and David for their contributions as well.

David

> [...]
> many sent kids out to sort out problems or install things onto servers
> so my customers burned through HW support companies trying to find good
> support, but after many hints and a bit of pleading last year I
> relented and took them back so I have total control and say over what
> goes at my customers. I've also developed an AI which monitors all the
> systems and alerts me to any problems with any server or workstation,
> hack attempts  as well which is pretty sweet if I might say so, but
> your wow32 problems is down to windows, its highly unlikely to be a
> clarion problem (remotely possibly a C6 file corruption somewhere) but
> at the same time you might be hitting 16bit limits within Clarion which
> will give you crash so your only option is to upgrade to C8 if this is
> whats going on, but I would start with a clean install of XP first.

From David Troxell - Product Scope 7.9 - Encourager Software