Add a Dot on top of a letter

How to add a dot on top of a letter, such as "M", which means dM/dt.

0
fanchyna (4)
10/20/2006 3:32:02 PM
comp.lang.idl-pvwave 12260 articles. 4 followers. Post Follow

Cancer wrote:
> How to add a dot on top of a letter, such as "M", which means dM/dt.

You need to give us more information if you want help.  It's difficult
to solve a problem if you don't know the context.  Is this in a plot?
A variable?

Braedley writes:

> You need to give us more information if you want help.  It's difficult
> to solve a problem if you don't know the context.  Is this in a plot?
> A variable?

I'm not so sure even with additional information we
are going to be able to be that helpful. My own
experiments have failed miserably. :-(

Cheers,

David
--
David Fanning, Ph.D.
Fanning Software Consulting, Inc.
David Fanning writes:

> I'm not so sure even with additional information we
> are going to be able to be that helpful. My own
> experiments have failed miserably. :-(

Unless, of course, you can live with this:

   sym = '!6!sM!r!u!9 %!6!n'
   XYOUTS, 0.5, 0.5, /Normal, CharSize=2.0, 'Symbol: ' +  sym

Cheers,

David
--
David Fanning, Ph.D.
Fanning Software Consulting, Inc.
Sepore ma de ni thui. ("Perhaps thou speakest truth.")
0
news2122 (4023)
10/23/2006 2:36:35 PM
Sorry about the confusion.  It is on a plot. I want to display the dM /
dt as a dot on top of the letter "M"
as the X-axis title.

Braedley wrote:
> Cancer wrote:
> > How to add a dot on top of a letter, such as "M", which means dM/dt.
>
> You need to give us more information if you want help.  It's difficult
> to solve a problem if you don't know the context.  Is this in a plot?
> A variable?

0
fanchyna (4)
10/23/2006 3:08:13 PM
>    sym = '!6!sM!r!u!9 %!6!n'
>    XYOUTS, 0.5, 0.5, /Normal, CharSize=2.0, 'Symbol: ' +  sym

This looks a bit more "mathematical"

IDL> xx=0.5 & yy=0.5
IDL>  XYOUTS, xx,yy, /norm, 'M'
IDL>  XYOUTS, xx+.005,yy+.02, /norm, '!M.!X'

then you can work out an automatic calculation of the displacement of
the dot (+.005, +.02) as a function of the character size.

hope it helps,

Javier

I think this is good enough. Thank you, David.

David Fanning wrote:
> David Fanning writes:
>
> > I'm not so sure even with additional information we
> > are going to be able to be that helpful. My own
> > experiments have failed miserably. :-(
>
> Unless, of course, you can live with this:
>
>    sym = '!6!sM!r!u!9 %!6!n'
>    XYOUTS, 0.5, 0.5, /Normal, CharSize=2.0, 'Symbol: ' +  sym
>
> Cheers,
>
> David
> --
> David Fanning, Ph.D.
> Fanning Software Consulting, Inc.
> Coyote's Guide to IDL Programming: http://www.dfanning.com/
> Sepore ma de ni thui. ("Perhaps thou speakest truth.")

0
fanchyna (4)
10/26/2006 2:25:42 PM
I prefer David's but thank you all the same.

jgc wrote:
> >    sym = '!6!sM!r!u!9 %!6!n'
> >    XYOUTS, 0.5, 0.5, /Normal, CharSize=2.0, 'Symbol: ' +  sym
> >

> This looks a bit more "mathematical"
>
> IDL> xx=0.5 & yy=0.5
> IDL>  XYOUTS, xx,yy, /norm, 'M'
> IDL>  XYOUTS, xx+.005,yy+.02, /norm, '!M.!X'
>
> then you can work out an automatic calculation of the displacement of
> the dot (+.005, +.02) as a function of the character size.
>
> hope it helps,
>
> Javier

0
fanchyna (4)

How to add a dot above a letter?
Hi, everyone: How are you, I want to add a dot above a letter, such as G(. above the letter G), by .m program, does anybody know how to write the program? Thanks in advance, undersun On Jun 8, 8:37 am, undersun <matlab...@yahoo.com> wrote: > Hi, everyone: > > How are you, > I want to add a dot above a letter, such as G(. above the letter G), > by .m program, does anybody know how to write the program? > > Thanks in advance, > > undersun I think there is no way to get it will programming, but you can use interpreter such as Tex or LaTex, for example, 'a...

Dot above letter eg. Mdot in IDL
Hi all, how in IDL can I put a dot above a letter? I know how to make the angstrom (on Coyote's tippage) but a solid dot above a letter always sits 'half into the letter'. Can anyone help? Thijs krijger@astro.uu.nl wrote: > Hi all, > how in IDL can I put a dot above a letter? > I know how to make the angstrom (on Coyote's tippage) but a solid dot > above a letter always sits 'half into the letter'. Can anyone help? > > Thijs in latex this is \dot{B}. textoidl does not know this so this doesn't help. it seems to me a small routine must be writ...

IDL and IDL-PVWAVE disambiguation
Hi I've noticed that a few open source IDL projects are finding themselves on sourceforge. However, the IDL category seems to have a mixture of both "Interface Definition Language" and "Interactive Data Language". Would it make more sense to have an IDL-PVWAVE category, or perhaps an IDL-ENVI category? https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=350001&aid=1821007&group_id=1 Robbie ...

Dot for Dot
View > Dot for Dot what does it do? RicercatoreSbadato wrote: > View > Dot for Dot > > what does it do? If you create a new image and set its dimensions to X by Y inches, dot-for-dot will make your ruler indicate scale in inches. For millimeters it will show millimeters/decimetres/centimetres depending on zooming state. If dot-for-dot is unset, you will get a pixels ruler. That's what it does as far as I can tell. Roy -- Roy S. Schestowitz http://Schestowitz.com I have found that 'dot for dot' is only to view the pixels of my image like the pixels on my scr...

dot above a letter
Hi, I wonder how I could get a dot above a letter on e.g. the title of an axis (like Mdot). I've searched the archive of this newsgroup and found two posts about this subject (which actually asked the same question), but none had an answer. I hope someone will have an answer for me. Evelien > I wonder how I could get a dot above a letter on e.g. the title of an > axis (like Mdot). I've searched the archive of this newsgroup and found > two posts about this subject (which actually asked the same question), > but none had an answer. I use direct graphics (like plot...

Top topped
What's the Solaris 10 equivalent of "top"? Captain Pedantic wrote: > What's the Solaris 10 equivalent of "top"? > > prstat, vmstat, iostat, mpstat And if you want to have all the values at a single glance, then take a look at my sysstat utility. Cheers, Tom In article <4cdnl4F15k8a9U1@individual.net>, Captain Pedantic <theharlequin36@hotmail.com> wrote: >What's the Solaris 10 equivalent of "top"? top has been developed on SunOS for SunOS It has later been ported to other architectures. -- EMail:joerg@schily.isdn.cs.t...

Dot over a letter
Hello, In order to write 'dot' time derivatives I need to place a dot over variable name (like \dot{x}). Is it possible to do it with gnuplot? thanks in advance, Jack Krzaczor <fi3nd@gazeta.pl> wrote: > Hello, > In order to write 'dot' time derivatives I need to place a dot over variable > name (like \dot{x}). Is it possible to do it with gnuplot? That very much depends on what terminal driver you're using. Using one of the TeX family, including pslatex, it's blatantly obvious: '$\dot{x}$'. Using the 'enhanced' op...

Dot plot in IDL
Has anybody done a dot plot similar to the one in the link below before with IDL? http://peltiertech.com/Utility/DotPlotUtility.html Any help or tips with be welcome. Marta Marta Yebra writes: > Has anybody done a dot plot similar to the one in the link below before with IDL? > > http://peltiertech.com/Utility/DotPlotUtility.html > > Any help or tips with be welcome. An hour of consulting time could have it on your doorstep. Interested? :-) http://www.idlcoyote.com/store Cheers, David P.S. Documentation (45 minute effort) included! -...

Add Lap top
I have a Microsoft wireless network and I would like to add my new Dell laptop for file sharing. Any help appreciated. Art Hi Art, A little more info if you could. You say you have a "Microsoft wireless network". Does implies you have something wireless already but no file/print sharing? Mark "Arthur Small" <arthurh@nycap.rr.com> wrote in message news:pRr0h.11385$0L1.8508@twister.nyroc.rr.com... >I have a Microsoft wireless network and I would like to add my new Dell >laptop for file sharing. > > Any help appreciated...

\dot \dot x ???
Hi: With $\dot x$, I obtain the velocity. How do I obtain two dots above the letter x, as it is needed for the acceleration? Thanks in advance. Andreas Andreas Ernst wrote: > Hi: > > With $\dot x$, I obtain the velocity. How do I obtain > two dots above the letter x, as it is needed for the > acceleration? > > Thanks in advance. Andreas ab, forget my previous email. I now use the \ddot{x} command. Andreas Ernst wrote in message > Hi: > > With $\dot x$, I obtain the velocity. How do I obtain > two dots above the letter x, as it is needed for the > acce...

add a dot after each char of a string
Hello I would like to add a dot after each char of a string. Example: ciao c.i.a.o I tried : echo "ciao" | awk '{print $0 "."}' FS="" And it returns: ciao. Thanx for help > [ add a dot after each char ] Try: echo text | sed 's/./&\./g' sinapsi wrote: > I would like to add a dot after each char of a string. > > Example: > > ciao > > c.i.a.o > > I tried : > > echo "ciao" | awk '{print $0 "."}' FS="" $ echo ciao | sed 's/./&./g' c.i.a.o. $ echo cia...

add text on top of PNG
Hi all, not sure if this is possible in PHP - every couple of weeks; i get a few png files; which i th open in an image editor; add a text box with comments in the top right corner; save the pngs and save them for later use by a php script. My question is there an automatic way so that a php script can do all this image editing for me ? i appreciate all replies. kind regards T >not sure if this is possible in PHP - every couple of weeks; i get a few png >files; which i th open in an image editor; add a text box with comments in >the top right corner; save the pngs and save them...

a dot on top of a character for annotation
HI everyone, I am currently stuck by a problem of putting a dot on top of a character for graph annotation. I only knew the command for subscripta nd superscript. Is there a command for head, such as putting a dot as the head? Thank you. Try something like text('Interpreter','latex','String','$$\dot{x}$$') For more info, see: http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/techdoc/creating_plots/f0-28104.html Hope this helps, Arnaud "Richeng Zheng" <brightsun823@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:ef46664.-1@webcrossing.raydaftYaTP... > ...

How to place a dot on top of $-$ symbol?
I used $\dot{.}$ and found the separation between them is too big. Any other good idea? Many thanks! ...

Web resources about - Add a Dot on top of a letter - comp.lang.idl-pvwave

American Academy of Arts and Letters - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The American Academy of Arts and Letters is a 250-member honor society; its goal is to "foster, assist, and sustain excellence" in American literature ...

Letter from Immigration Minister Peter Dutton to Fairfax Media
Your front page states: &quot;&hellip;principal Paul Dingle risks being jailed to speak out for three asylum seekers&hellip;.&quot; Later the ...

Soulless sexts can't compete with love letters straight from the heart
Snaps of body parts with short texts lacks romance.

Tom Mulcair shoulders blame for dismal election results in letter to supporters
NDP Leader Tom Mulcair has written to supporters to take responsibility for the dismal results of the October election campaign.

What Agents, Editors & Publishers Look for in a Query Letter
... So spend time with it. Don’t rush it. Share it with others and get their reactions. Definitely get it professionally critiqued. Query letters ...

On Machiavelli's "Letter to Vettori": Hoisted from the Archives from 2003
**Brad DeLong** (2003): [On Machiavelli's "Letter to Vettori"](http://www.j-bradford-delong.net/movable_type/2003_archives/000006.html): Or, ...

A Letter to a Political Romantic
(Don Boudreaux) Tweet Here’s a letter to a young woman – a student at the University of Iowa – who tells me that she reads Cafe Hayek occasionally ...

Gwyneth Paltrow: Accused stalker's letters a "threat"
The Oscar-winning actress broke down briefly on the witness stand in a Los Angeles court Monday as she faced the man accused of stalking her ...

LeAnn Rimes’ lawyer sent a threatening letter to Dean Sheremet, of course
... name a few times in the book. So now LeAnn’s lawyers are threatening to sue him. In Touch magazine has exclusively obtained the legal letter ...

Letters of renowned 18th century preacher George Whitefield to be published for first time
The letters of 18th century evangelical revivalist George Whitefield are to be published for the first time.