f



dot above a letter

Hi,

I wonder how I could get a dot above a letter on e.g. the title of an 
axis (like Mdot). I've searched the archive of this newsgroup and found 
two posts about this subject (which actually asked the same question), 
but none had an answer.

I hope someone will have an answer for me.
Evelien

0
evelien (4)
10/15/2004 11:02:54 AM
comp.lang.idl-pvwave 12260 articles. 4 followers. Post Follow

3 Replies
2250 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 28

> I wonder how I could get a dot above a letter on e.g. the title of an 
> axis (like Mdot). I've searched the archive of this newsgroup and found 
> two posts about this subject (which actually asked the same question), 
> but none had an answer.

I use direct graphics (like plot, x, y) for you it may be different:

plot, x, xtitle='!sm!r!20!A7!n!x', charsize=4

In this example,

!s saves the current position
m draws the m character
!r restores the position (moving back to the start of m)
!20 changes the font to special math
!A moves up
7 draws the dot
!n moves back down to the normal level (and normal size)
!X changes back to whatever font you were before

For fuller details see the help section on "Embedded Font Selection 
Commands" and "Positioning Commands" in the online help, or page 4434 in 
the pdf reference manual (v6.1). "Formatting Command Examples" is pretty 
useful.

The unfortunate side of this is that the dot is not centred. I don't 
know how to do that - sorry!

The other alternative, if you speak tex/latex is to use tex2idl and tex 
commands, found at:

http://physweb.mnstate.edu/mcraig/TeXtoIDL/

Ben

-- 
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
  Ben Panter, Garching, Germany
  email via www.benpanter.co.uk
0
me4 (19624)
10/15/2004 11:46:28 AM
Hi Ben,

I "speak" rather well latex and the package you proposed is indeed very 
handy for the greek symbols! I will be using it quite a lot in the 
future, but unfortunately what I do in latex \dot{M} can't be translated 
to idl symbols by the package.

Thanks anyway!
Evelien

Ben Panter wrote:
>> I wonder how I could get a dot above a letter on e.g. the title of an 
>> axis (like Mdot). I've searched the archive of this newsgroup and 
>> found two posts about this subject (which actually asked the same 
>> question), but none had an answer.
> 
> 
> I use direct graphics (like plot, x, y) for you it may be different:
> 
> plot, x, xtitle='!sm!r!20!A7!n!x', charsize=4
> 
> In this example,
> 
> !s saves the current position
> m draws the m character
> !r restores the position (moving back to the start of m)
> !20 changes the font to special math
> !A moves up
> 7 draws the dot
> !n moves back down to the normal level (and normal size)
> !X changes back to whatever font you were before
> 
> For fuller details see the help section on "Embedded Font Selection 
> Commands" and "Positioning Commands" in the online help, or page 4434 in 
> the pdf reference manual (v6.1). "Formatting Command Examples" is pretty 
> useful.
> 
> The unfortunate side of this is that the dot is not centred. I don't 
> know how to do that - sorry!
> 
> The other alternative, if you speak tex/latex is to use tex2idl and tex 
> commands, found at:
> 
> http://physweb.mnstate.edu/mcraig/TeXtoIDL/
> 
> Ben
> 

0
evelien (4)
10/15/2004 1:53:30 PM
Evelien Vanhollebeke wrote:

> I "speak" rather well latex and the package you proposed is indeed very 
> handy for the greek symbols! I will be using it quite a lot in the 
> future, but unfortunately what I do in latex \dot{M} can't be translated 
> to idl symbols by the package.

That's a pity... I would have really liked to have a neat way to write 
\dot{\rho} in a title! I'll just stick with the off centre point.

*sigh*

Ben

-- 
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
  Ben Panter, Garching, Germany
  email via www.benpanter.co.uk
0
me4 (19624)
10/15/2004 3:05:35 PM
Reply: